Legislature Says Tolls Are Bad For Our Economy

Jan 17, 2008 Read more: WGRZ Buffalo 15
A few members of the Erie County Legislature are sending a message to Albany. They feel the Grand Island tolls are hurting our economy. Read more
Rus Thompson

Buffalo, NY

#1 Jan 17, 2008
Have you signed the petition? Sign it now at
http://nogitolls.com/
Glitch

Lewiston, ME

#2 Jan 17, 2008
Well, duh. I'd be less happy that 'our' leaders are trying to do something about this, and more worried that it has taken them this long to figure out something needed to be done.

Since: Sep 07

Niagara Falls, NY

#3 Jan 17, 2008
Already have Russ. I signed it a while ago. Hopefully someone will listen to us!
Zach

North Boston, NY

#4 Jan 17, 2008
Really? Next thing they'll tell them is the sky is blue.

“The power of the wee side.”

Since: Jun 07

West Seneca, NY

#5 Jan 18, 2008
They'll need to pay some research company tens-of-thousands of dollars to do some b.s. "study" to tell them tolls are bad. That's how Albany works, they need to waste tons of money to understand the obvious, then they'll raise tolls to pay for the study.

Or, ie, they take the Black Rock tolls down, realize how much money they're losing, so they double another toll to compensate for it.

Every get back on the Merry-Go-Round, the ride's not over.
andet1987

United States

#6 Jan 18, 2008
NY the other welfare state
Tim

Wilmington, DE

#7 Jan 18, 2008
Bad for the economy?
Do we even have an economy here?
Voter Beware

United States

#8 Jan 18, 2008
Very astute of them. I would think that any way of paying the government revenues would be a positive thing for the economy.

Any we pay them to come up with these brain farts?

WOW
Michelle Christopher

Batavia, NY

#9 Jan 18, 2008
I think it's ridiculous to say tolls are "hurting" our economy...I'd be a bit more concerned about the fact that salaries are so low here, many people can't afford health insurance or perhaps the fact that we are at WAR! Tolls, gas prices, food, etc. are historically always higher during those times. People all over the country pay tolls but for some reason people here think they shouldn't have to. What about getting rid of tolls during inclement weather, as other states often do? You can't have no tolls at all, the money needs to come from somewhere to fix the herrendous roads. Hello people.
joe

Buffalo, NY

#10 Jan 18, 2008
residents with easy pass should pay no toll.visitors and canadians should pay like the 407 in canada
NYS Thurway driver

Elmira, NY

#11 Jan 18, 2008
Just some food for thought:

I have been driving the NYS Thruway for 20 years and I have now decided to take an alternate route. I refuse to spend $17 round trip (from Herkimer to Buffalo and back) on tolls. With rising energy costs, i'de rather take a "free"- way and save about $408 a year. Calculations based on driving Herkimer to Buffalo and Back two times a month, for a year.
Re-Elect ME PLEASE

Lancaster, NY

#12 Jan 18, 2008
Michelle Christopher wrote:
I think it's ridiculous to say tolls are "hurting" our economy...I'd be a bit more concerned about the fact that salaries are so low here, many people can't afford health insurance or perhaps the fact that we are at WAR! Tolls, gas prices, food, etc. are historically always higher during those times. People all over the country pay tolls but for some reason people here think they shouldn't have to. What about getting rid of tolls during inclement weather, as other states often do? You can't have no tolls at all, the money needs to come from somewhere to fix the herrendous roads. Hello people.
Agreed. And these legislators "feel" the tolls hurt the economy? Really? I've got an idea for them: PROVE IT! The lack of decent paying jobs and high property taxes are proven burdens here, and with much higher impact than a bridge toll.
Walter

AOL

#13 Jan 19, 2008
I believe politicians in New York are bad for the ecinomy!
Walter

AOL

#14 Jan 19, 2008
I believe politicians are bad for the economy!
Robert Salemme

Lutz, FL

#15 Jan 20, 2008
The pace of improvements are too fast for old. So fast for the young that a slow ecomony will be a blow to them. Hence this country is in bad shape for the young to catch up to the standards of the old, making for bad decsisions for many.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
any girl phonesex with this guy? (Mar '13) 2 hr Simi 74
Poll Did Nam Biker Vet Ever See Combat (Jan '10) 4 hr Left Coast 1,230
Is Buffalo NY overpopulated with blacks? 7 hr mayordysaster 18
White supremacy lives here in Western NY! 7 hr L C BLACKTHORN 17
Are Buffalo City Schools Failing Thanks to Dark... 7 hr elsie blackthorn 6
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 11 hr TOASTER 19,740
Sheridan Parkside L&T Realty (Feb '14) 15 hr sherry 11
More from around the web

Grand Island People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]