Fatal Snowboarding Accident

Fatal Snowboarding Accident

There are 53 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Feb 20, 2008, titled Fatal Snowboarding Accident. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

A 29 Year old man from Grand Island died Wednesday after he was hurt in a snowboarding accident at Holiday Valley in Ellicottville.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Zoe

Buffalo, NY

#57 Feb 21, 2008
The extent of my 'knowing' Leon was 4 or 5 exchanges/conversations, tops. Even at that, he impressed me as a gentle, peaceful, unassuming guy who took pleasure in life's small details. He was the type who'd walk across a crowded room to say 'hello' and acknowledge a mere acquaintence. It's a tragedy his life was cut so short. Though I know this is a commentary forum and not a 'guestbook', I hope Peter's comments will be removed as offensive, in deference to those who loved him and his innate dignity.
Sarahs Mom

Buffalo, NY

#58 Feb 21, 2008
Eyewitness to accident wrote:
My family is so sorry to hear about the loss of Leon. We were on the chairlift and my daughter saw him going fast down Cindy's Run (on the slope - not in the trees) along the edge of the woods and he must have caught the edge of a tree or a stump, which spun him into the woods about 10 feet where he collided with multiple trees. My daughter went to the lift operator for help and my friend and I were the first to reach him and stayed with him until the ski patrol arrived. We stayed and helped the ski patrol until they were able to get him on the board to take him down on the snow mobile. He never regained conciousness, had labored breathing, and was face down in the snow within some trees. The ski patrol was very cautious with moving him and first got him on his side with everyone helping to keep his spine aligned and neck straight, then put the oxygen mask on, then put him on the board. We didn't know who he was or where he was from, but wondered how he was doing over the next couple of days. We were so sad to see the article on the internet. Our deepest sympathy goes out to his family and friends.
Thank you for posting this information. We were not told all the facts at the hospital we were unsure if Leon was laying in the snow for 2 minutes or hours.It is so nice to know there are people like you out there that
will take the time to help someone in need. I'm so glad Leon was not left alone. This was just one of those things, no one was at fault (including Leon)
Eyewitness to Accident

Akron, OH

#59 Feb 21, 2008
Sarahs Mom wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you for posting this information. We were not told all the facts at the hospital we were unsure if Leon was laying in the snow for 2 minutes or hours.It is so nice to know there are people like you out there that
will take the time to help someone in need. I'm so glad Leon was not left alone. This was just one of those things, no one was at fault (including Leon)
Sarahs Mom - Leon was there a few minutes until my friend got there (see First Responder post above)and I was in the chair just behind him and arrived just after him. There was no one on the slope when he hit and we all felt helpless for the few minutes it took us to get there. Leon did not suffer and was motionless and unconsious after he hit the trees. The ski patrol got there within a few minutes after us and did everything they could to stablize him and get him down as soon as possible. They imediately called to arrange for the helicopter but where told it was to windy for a flight. It was probably 20 minutes before they could get him down the run from the time he hit the trees. Please extend our sympathy to his family and friends
S Buffalo Mom

Lancaster, NY

#60 Feb 21, 2008
I think what a lot of people who are posting negative comments on this blog seem to forget is-it does not matter how a person died, what matters is they are gone, their loved ones are never going to have them again, they are left with the memories of his beautiful life to comfort them. What difference does it make if he had a helmet on?(which by every account-he did) This was a horrible, tragic accident-accidents happen, and unfortunately, people loose their lives. We should all be saying a prayer tonight for Leon's friends and family and hugging our own loved ones a little tighter.
Pissed about post

Ellsworth, ME

#61 Feb 21, 2008
Although I did not know Leon he sounds like he was a great guy. Negative people suck. It sounds like he did everything by the book. Unfortunately sometimes accidents happen due to no fault of anyone. That why they call it an accident. I am suprised that there was no negatives posts about the mother that crashed into the semi that killed the two kids near Batavia
Pissed about post

Ellsworth, ME

#62 Feb 21, 2008
Eyewitness to Accident wrote:
<quoted text>
Sarahs Mom - Leon was there a few minutes until my friend got there (see First Responder post above)and I was in the chair just behind him and arrived just after him. There was no one on the slope when he hit and we all felt helpless for the few minutes it took us to get there. Leon did not suffer and was motionless and unconsious after he hit the trees. The ski patrol got there within a few minutes after us and did everything they could to stablize him and get him down as soon as possible. They imediately called to arrange for the helicopter but where told it was to windy for a flight. It was probably 20 minutes before they could get him down the run from the time he hit the trees. Please extend our sympathy to his family and friends
Do you really think the mother wants to hear this ??
Sarah M

New York, NY

#63 Feb 21, 2008
I first want to thank everyone for your well wishes. My sister is Leon's aunt by marriage. And I have been privelaged to be part of the Carr family ever since the day my sister "married" into the most amazing family! I have worked with Leon, celebrated with Leon, and have been inspired by him all along. He gave me strength during some of the most difficult day's of my life and his friendship was truly a gift. He made me see things about me I never saw, and he touched my heart with his simple acts of kindness. He alway's made me smile even on the worst day's. I don't know how to walk through the Village Inn door without his greetings anymore. We all loved him in our own way. He gave the best hugs, and he had the most amazing smile. His talents will be sadly missed, He will forever be a legend to me...He loved life, he never got stressed. Alway's saw the best in every situation...Learn by him, love like him...Pay it forward!!! To those of you who stayed by his side on that run...THANK YOU...Our family will forever be grateful for your simple act of kindness, you responded as Leon would have helping someone out, making sure he was taken care of. I would also like to thank every person who has made donations to Leon's memorial service on Saturday...Your contributions of food, time, and help have touched our hearts...Remember Leon... We lost a kindered spirit, a gentle soul. He will forever be missed.
Sarah M

New York, NY

#64 Feb 21, 2008
My post should read that Im from grand Island not Newark!!!
derk

Saint Petersburg, FL

#65 Feb 23, 2008
that freakin sucks. poor guy. god bless dude
Philip M

Fishers, NY

#66 Feb 23, 2008
Sarah M wrote:
I first want to thank everyone for your well wishes. My sister is Leon's aunt by marriage. And I have been privelaged to be part of the Carr family ever since the day my sister "married" into the most amazing family! I have worked with Leon, celebrated with Leon, and have been inspired by him all along. He gave me strength during some of the most difficult day's of my life and his friendship was truly a gift. He made me see things about me I never saw, and he touched my heart with his simple acts of kindness. He alway's made me smile even on the worst day's. I don't know how to walk through the Village Inn door without his greetings anymore. We all loved him in our own way. He gave the best hugs, and he had the most amazing smile. His talents will be sadly missed, He will forever be a legend to me...He loved life, he never got stressed. Alway's saw the best in every situation...Learn by him, love like him...Pay it forward!!! To those of you who stayed by his side on that run...THANK YOU...Our family will forever be grateful for your simple act of kindness, you responded as Leon would have helping someone out, making sure he was taken care of. I would also like to thank every person who has made donations to Leon's memorial service on Saturday...Your contributions of food, time, and help have touched our hearts...Remember Leon... We lost a kindered spirit, a gentle soul. He will forever be missed.
Im so sorry for your loss.
MIKE D-CLEVELAND

Bedford, OH

#67 Mar 3, 2008
I DID NOT KNOW LEON, BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE HE WAS A GENUINELY GREAT GUY. IT IS A TRAGEDY THAT THIS FREAK ACCIDENT OCCURRED. TO HIS FRIENDS AND FAMILY: STAY STRONG IN THIS DIFFICULT TIME, MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU. GOD BLESS.

Since: Nov 14

Location hidden

#68 Nov 1, 2014
He probably got somepot off of the bitch manager of the rental shop.
HIGh ya

Buffalo, NY

#69 Nov 4, 2014
she got some cronic love cronic when i board dude

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tim demler (May '17) 1 hr The people have s... 45
Alleged Mafia Activity in Buffalo, Niagara Fall... (Mar '16) 1 hr Falzone the Calzone 110
Al Sharpton, Boffalos next mayor 17 hr Skinny Naab 10
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Sun china stein 21,337
Poll why does buffalo suck? (Nov '08) Nov 17 Saywhen 66
If Buffalo were to get a new name, What would i... Nov 17 Lief 18
Only homosexuals call themselves "Lief Coach" Nov 16 reply 4

Grand Island Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Island Mortgages