Fatal Snowboarding Accident

There are 20 comments on the Feb 20, 2008, WGRZ Buffalo story titled Fatal Snowboarding Accident. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

A 29 Year old man from Grand Island died Wednesday after he was hurt in a snowboarding accident at Holiday Valley in Ellicottville.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
billy

Boston, MA

#1 Feb 20, 2008
one of the reasons why i wear a helmet when i'm snowboarding. Granted, I assume it was a head injury, but could be wrong.

It's important that people wear their protective gear.

RIP
cat

Buffalo, NY

#3 Feb 20, 2008
My son recently shattered his upper arm while snowboarding. If not for the helmet he would not have survived this crash. My condolences to his family and friends
WHAT

United States

#4 Feb 20, 2008
We will miss you Leon. Tell BA hello for us when you see him. Rest in Peace.
don white

United States

#5 Feb 20, 2008
RIP.... SAFETY,, WAS NOT A PART OF THIS STORY.WHAT HAPPENED? DID HE HAVE A HELMET ON. HOW FAR OFF THE TRAIL WAS HE?
Natalie

Rochester, NY

#6 Feb 20, 2008
I agree. I always wear a helmet when I am skiing.
some1

Athol Springs, NY

#8 Feb 20, 2008
i heard he was wearing a helmet, u gotta stay on the trails others have died from the same thing. RIP hopefully this will teach people to stay on the trails.
Gi grad

Buffalo, NY

#10 Feb 20, 2008
What a shame...rest in peace Leon. You were always such a nice, happy go lucky guy. You will be missed.
aaron t

Lockport, NY

#11 Feb 20, 2008
To all you people that posted negative comments I wish you never have this happen to a friend of yours. I went to high school with Leon and his brother. Leon was one of the nicest people you'll ever meet unlike yourselvs. He was wearing a helmet. He broke his neck in three places and punctured a lung. Loss of oxygen to his brain killed him.
jesse

Buffalo, NY

#12 Feb 20, 2008
how can you people say nasty things about him, you didnt even know him. or know anything about it. he was wearing a helmet, and wasnt screwing around. he was close friend of my family. screw you people
With Sympathy

North Tonawanda, NY

#13 Feb 20, 2008
aaron t wrote:
To all you people that posted negative comments I wish you never have this happen to a friend of yours. I went to high school with Leon and his brother. Leon was one of the nicest people you'll ever meet unlike yourselvs. He was wearing a helmet. He broke his neck in three places and punctured a lung. Loss of oxygen to his brain killed him.
Well said - it's hard to believe that some of these comments have actually been posted. My heart goes out to you and all of his friends and relatives. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.
Dunny

Philadelphia, PA

#16 Feb 20, 2008
Leon is the greatest person I know. He made sure he made the most of every day he was here. He loved life more than anyone, and made those around him smile every day with his humor and kindness. I will miss Leon greatly.
chops

Athol Springs, NY

#18 Feb 20, 2008
Leon was one of the coolest people I know. Every time I saw him. We made a point of it to make sure that our paths crossed and to carry on a conversation about food, concerts, camping, etc. You never knew where the topic of conversation was going to go and that is what I loved about him. I will remember the conversations that we had and miss the opportunity to have more. Leon you will be missed not just by one but by all! Rest in peace my friend until we meat again!
damien j

Richmond, VA

#19 Feb 20, 2008
leon was the most sincere person i knew. my heart is broken and my sympathy goes out to all of his friends and family. he had a good soul.
Paula

Dunkirk, NY

#20 Feb 20, 2008
What a tragic accident. My deepest sympathies and condolences go out to his family. Rest in Peace.
Obviously

United States

#21 Feb 20, 2008
So sad! Just today we took our three year old to KB. Hubby didn't make him wear a helmet; looks like I must pick my battles a bit wiser. My thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family. Again, such a sad story.
embarrassed

Buffalo, NY

#22 Feb 20, 2008
To the people that feel it necessary to write negative comments without knowing the conditions... I hope nothing ever bad happens to someone you love. This man was good at what he did, and was always cautious... he did have a helmet on, that was not going to save his life whe you break your neck and punture your lung... his head was not the only injury that he had. It is sad to see what some people in western new york comment and that it is always assumed that it was because they were goofing off.
My prayers are with you Leon...
Casey

Buffalo, NY

#25 Feb 20, 2008
I'm still in shock. I worked with Leon for about 8 months at the Village Inn. He was without a doubt one of the kindest and friendliest people I have ever met. Everyone that knew him thought he was a great guy. I have so many great memories in the kitchen with him and Jon. He will be incredibly missed and my prayers go out to the Carrs.
pete

Buffalo, NY

#27 Feb 20, 2008
I hate to even respond to the negative things ive read on here, but let me say this. We who knew leon would know that if he were here he would still laugh and probably buy you a beer anyway. In this life, the energy that we pass on to those we come into contact with is how we leave our mark on this world. Negative energy is easily forgotten. Leon left his mark on so many people in this world that he will always be loved, and he will never be forgotten. I can say as a parent that I am proud and honored that my son got to meet leon and shake his hand.
Ray

Kenduskeag, ME

#28 Feb 20, 2008
I agree with the great things everyone has said about Leon. He had a great soul and was such an amazing person to be around. My heart goes out to everyone whose lives he touched, because he touched mine. You will be greatly missed Leon.
sorry for him

Buffalo, NY

#29 Feb 20, 2008
i didnt know him but my heart goes out to all his family and friends

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
southeast works cover-up (Oct '12) 5 hr Go figure 514
Desiree Wiley 9 hr Joe Guy 1
Teresa Weakley 9 hr Joe Guy 15
Is Buffalo NY overpopulated with blacks? 9 hr Joe Guy 33
News Lil Wayne's bus shot at 9 hr Joe Guy 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 20 hr Chuck 19,852
Mongo Cupcakes II (Jun '08) Sun erric 70
More from around the web

Grand Island People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]