Farmer claims innocence

Farmer claims innocence

There are 193 comments on the WIVB Buffalo story from Aug 27, 2008, titled Farmer claims innocence. In it, WIVB Buffalo reports that:

A Grand Island farmer accused of animal cruelty, faced a judge Wednesday night. Peter Sparks appeared for his arraignment on charges that he neglected animals at his trading post stable.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WIVB Buffalo.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Deborah Rose

Buffalo, NY

#1 Aug 27, 2008
To all our friends who stand by us...Thank you all so much for your support tonight. It is just one positive step towards a positive outcome that WILL result from this.
no tolerance

Warren, NJ

#2 Aug 27, 2008
We need to go back to an eye for an eye. If animals are neglected and maltreated the same should be done to their owners.
DEAR FRIEND

Buffalo, NY

#3 Aug 27, 2008
no tolerance wrote:
We need to go back to an eye for an eye. If animals are neglected and maltreated the same should be done to their owners.
are you serious? perhaps we should treat bugs the same too, so for every bug you have ever stepped on or splattered on your windshield, you should be whipped 10 times..... Under no way were these animals mistreated. Peter and his supportive crew have proved this tonight and will support him while they clear his name and return his horses to him, which will happen! So to all the people against Sparks, you can SHOVE IT!!!
Secret Keeper

Lancaster, NY

#4 Aug 27, 2008
Hopefully a wonderful, positive outcome WILL come from this. I totally agree 100%. Hopefully those horses will have a chance at the life they deserve and not suffer anymore. I also hope that these children will see what a month of good food and care will do for these animals.
Lusitano Epiphany

Keene, NH

#5 Aug 27, 2008
Deborah, I asked this before but I didn't ever see a reply: why were the sheep so thin? you already said that the horses were old, and/or were recently purchased and that was why they were thin. But what was the deal with the sheep, please?
Lusitano Epiphany

Keene, NH

#6 Aug 27, 2008
DEAR FRIEND wrote:
<quoted text>
are you serious? perhaps we should treat bugs the same too, so for every bug you have ever stepped on or splattered on your windshield, you should be whipped 10 times..... Under no way were these animals mistreated. Peter and his supportive crew have proved this tonight and will support him while they clear his name and return his horses to him, which will happen! So to all the people against Sparks, you can SHOVE IT!!!
Then why were the horses so thin? And why were the sheep so thin? Someone for the of Pete (no, not THAT Pete) clear this up for me.

And so help me, if one more person says "Because they're olldddd!" or "Because we JUST got them"....
NastyGuy

Buffalo, NY

#7 Aug 27, 2008
Nasty to bugs? I had a fly in my car when I left Buffalo once. When I got to Detroit, the fly flew out the window. Should I go back to Detroit and find it so I can bring it back home?!?!
no tolerance

Warren, NJ

#8 Aug 27, 2008
DEAR FRIEND wrote:
<quoted text>
The SPCA doesn't just come in and remove animals and file charges for no reason. If you can't take care of your animals you shouldn't have any. Animals don't become emaciated because they missed a single feeding. They were obviously neglected and mistreated over a long period of time. BTW very mature to tell people to shove it .... a bit defensive aren't we ... probably because you know as well as everyone else that he his guilty. Sad thing is that when Peter Sparks is found guilty he will sit in jail on his fat a$$ getting fed three meals a day, protected from inclemented weather, and receive top of the line medical care ... too bad he couldn't give the same courtesy to his animals!
no tolerance

Warren, NJ

#9 Aug 28, 2008
Lusitano Epiphany wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why were the horses so thin? And why were the sheep so thin? Someone for the of Pete (no, not THAT Pete) clear this up for me.
And so help me, if one more person says "Because they're olldddd!" or "Because we JUST got them"....
Amazing that Sparks is innocent, yet the animals are improving now that they are receiving proper care, isn't it?
RealistState

Mystic, CT

#11 Aug 28, 2008
DEAR FRIEND wrote:
<quoted text>
Peter and his supportive crew have proved this tonight and will support him while they clear his name and return his horses to him, which will happen! So to all the people against Sparks, you can SHOVE IT!!!
Were the charges of neglect dismissed?
RealistState

Mystic, CT

#12 Aug 28, 2008
Pride Goeth Before The Fall

What amazes me is the amount of rancor of Peter Sparks supporters. The condition of the horses is the result of either ignorance or neglect.
If it's ignorance, certainly Peter and his people would be willing to educate themselves for the proper care of horses. All the excuses they've provided do not add up to a good explanation. This is particularly disturbing in light of the number of others who've posted trying to educate. But it appears to fall on deaf ears. Peter's supporters seem to more concerned to prove that he is a "nice guy", rather than admit that he may have been mistaken and not known all the answers to proper care of horses.
If it is trully neglect, than a court of law will prove whether it is criminal or not. An assumption of innocence until proven guilty is a cornerstone of our justice system. And it is certainly Peter's right to plead innocent. However, in the court of public opinion, the photographs speak for themselves for those that do not have voices.
An admission that mistakes may have been made would certainly go a long way in repairing Peter's reputation in the horse world. You're never to old to learn.
outsider

Buffalo, NY

#13 Aug 28, 2008
Right now the horses at the spca are in deplorable conditions, and are not being cared for properly, clearly the vets there have no idea how to care for large animals. Not to mention the stress they are suffering from being moved. That is all I will say about this because it will be brought up in court. I have an unbiased opinion here so it will be looking like these horses will be returning to their home and the SPCA will be getting sued by Sparks Trading Post.
DEAR FRIEND

Buffalo, NY

#14 Aug 28, 2008
RealistState wrote:
<quoted text>
Were the charges of neglect dismissed?
They will be. The lawyer for the SPCA is certainly not fighting hard because he knows that Peters lawyer has all the evidence to prove that he has been caring for these horses. I wouldn't be surprised if their lawyer advises the SPCA to return the horses and dismiss charges because it isn't looking so good for them right now, especially the conditions they are in now.
DEAR FRIEND

Buffalo, NY

#15 Aug 28, 2008
Hello wrote:
um Sheep the other red meat yum
They are absolutely not improving. I have been there numerous times to visit them and each time I go I see a new ailment they are suffering, not to mention they are getting thinner and thinner.........
RealistState

Mystic, CT

#16 Aug 28, 2008
outsider wrote:
Right now the horses at the spca are in deplorable conditions, and are not being cared for properly, clearly the vets there have no idea how to care for large animals. Not to mention the stress they are suffering from being moved.
If you have first hand knowledge of this, perhaps you should contact the media. Perhaps with media attention they'll be moved some place better, though I would highly doubt it would be to Sparks. That could not occur until the criminal case is resolved.
RealistState

Mystic, CT

#17 Aug 28, 2008
DEAR FRIEND wrote:
<quoted text>
They will be. The lawyer for the SPCA is certainly not fighting hard because he knows that Peters lawyer has all the evidence to prove that he has been caring for these horses. I wouldn't be surprised if their lawyer advises the SPCA to return the horses and dismiss charges because it isn't looking so good for them right now, especially the conditions they are in now.
I assume you're talking about the lawyer in civil case, if the SPCA is sueing for cost of rehabilatating his animals.

The criminal case would be handled by the district attorney. In the criminal case, that could have been thrown out at the arraignment by the judge. Since it was not, we must assume that the district attorney has enough evidence to prosecute this case.
RealistState

Mystic, CT

#18 Aug 28, 2008
DEAR FRIEND wrote:
<quoted text>
They are absolutely not improving. I have been there numerous times to visit them and each time I go I see a new ailment they are suffering, not to mention they are getting thinner and thinner.........
Again, if that is the case, notify the media. Frankly, since they are evidence, I am surprised that the SPCA would allow you access to them. That would be a violation of court proceedings.
RealistState

Mystic, CT

#19 Aug 28, 2008
It's funny how Peter's friends are all quick to blame the SPCA. It's the courts that ordered the siezure, not the SPCA. They are merely the agents of the court. It's also up to the court whether the horses get released back to Peter or not. And as agents, if they are not fulfilling their duty, the court needs to be notified so it can be rectified. You really need to educate yourselves.
Secret Keeper

Lancaster, NY

#20 Aug 28, 2008
The sheep are not shown to the public, so I too have to question how DEAR FRIEND is seeing them. Also, how can you say they are not improving? I know for a fact they are doing better.
DEAR FRIEND

Buffalo, NY

#21 Aug 28, 2008
RealistState wrote:
It's funny how Peter's friends are all quick to blame the SPCA. It's the courts that ordered the siezure, not the SPCA. They are merely the agents of the court. It's also up to the court whether the horses get released back to Peter or not. And as agents, if they are not fulfilling their duty, the court needs to be notified so it can be rectified. You really need to educate yourselves.
The SPCA ordered the seizure, and the warrant they presented was also not executed properly. I have been there to see the animals and the Buffalo News was talked to last night about the animals deplorable conditions that they are living in now and how they are deteriorating quickly under the care of the SPCA. Sparks will be filing civil suits against the SPCA that his lawyer made us aware of last night.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News N. Tonawanda man, 24, accused in rape at party (Jul '10) 1 hr Buffalojimmy 12
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr Buffalojimmy 20,099
i wrote an article regarding buffalo's mob problem (Oct '12) 1 hr Buffalojimmy 24
any girl phonesex with this guy? (Mar '13) 12 hr marlugi 106
Force LIEF COACH out of retirement 16 hr Hmmm 13
The New york scratch off 21 hr worth a try 107
News Tier economy: Only Puerto Rico worse Fri nobodywantsto 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Island Mortgages