Are People Addicted to Prescription P...

Are People Addicted to Prescription Painkillers?

There are 18 comments on the WKBW story from May 29, 2012, titled Are People Addicted to Prescription Painkillers?. In it, WKBW reports that:

BUFFALO, N.Y. Dr. Raul Vazquez from Urban Family Practice stopped by Channel 7's "Eyewitness News This Morning" Tuesday to address the issues of prescription painkillers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WKBW.

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#1 May 30, 2012
If we really want to prevent accidental deaths lets start with banning autovehicles,tobacco and alcohol. Simple,is it not? Once those dangerous substances that kill many more Americans than so-called "illegal drugs", including prescription medication,then we can start targeting legitimate doctors and their patients.
Still on my High Horse

Rochester, NY

#2 May 30, 2012
The USA (and whole world for that matter) population is overcrowded as it is, if you ban all those things not enough people will die.

“Dorata's worthless turd”

Since: Mar 09

Buffalo, NY

#4 May 30, 2012
Jimmy loves his 'nervous pills' from the VA.
Poopy the clown

Washington, NJ

#5 May 30, 2012
No we just feel noo need to stop taking these.

Help me juggle feces kids!
Linger Cheechh

Chesapeake, VA

#7 May 30, 2012
To be serious-the problem is half doctors and half patients.

We all know people who have this joking attitude about painkillers they were given after an injury and surgery. This is not a joke, Decent people get addicted to this stuff and end up as criminals because of it

Doctors are the other half of the problem. Whenever I get dental work or some minor procedure, the doctor is quick to write a script for vicodin

Not long ago I had a cyst taken off my abdomen near the surface of the skin. This was done in the office with a shot of novicaine. The doctor wanted to give me some vicodin, but I turned him down because I had a bunch left over from a tooth extraction. The only "pain" I had from the surgery was some itching.

These idiot doctors get people hooked on this crap
Bklyn

Brooklyn, NY

#10 May 31, 2012
It seems like everybody is focused on prescription medications when "Alcohol Related Deaths" are dangerously skyrocketing to thousands of people, yet nobody seems to care. It seems like that when it comes to alcohol related deaths it gets swept under the rug,yet alcohol is sold in practically every corner store/supermarket. Below are some stats on alcohol related deaths reported by the CDC.

Statistics on alcohol-related deaths are bleak. Every year approximately 75,000 lives will be lost due to alcohol. Countless family and friends left behind will be greatly affected. No one is immune; a chronic alcoholic or an innocent bystander can become a victim. Each death is tragic and often avoidable. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), alcohol abuse is the third leading "preventable cause" of death in the United States.

Cirrhosis

Cirrhosis is a form of liver disease that can be caused by alcohol abuse. According to the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS), in 2005 almost 13,000 Americans died from alcohol-related cirrhosis.
Crashes

Approximately 39 percent of all traffic fatalities involve alcohol. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in 2005 over 16,500 individuals lost their lives in alcohol-related accidents.
Abuse

2005 data from NCHS shows over 21,600 individuals died from problems related to alcohol abuse, including alcohol poisoning, cardiomyopathy and pancreatitis.
Water

The CDC reports alcohol plays a part in up to half of water-related fatalities of adolescents and adults each year.
Suicide

CDC statistics show one-third of all suicides involve the use of alcohol.

Read more: Statistics on Alcohol Related Deaths | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_4895060_statistics-...

Blue

Salisbury, MD

#11 May 31, 2012
So what if people get addicted and die? It's all about free will and personal choice. We should also be thanking smokers for sacrificing themselves for child healthcare programs!
Blue

Salisbury, MD

#12 May 31, 2012
It's just like smoking. People need to accept responsibility. Everyone knows that they are addictive and bad for you now. It's no secret. Just like cigarettes. Bad. It's a choice to make, and what being free to pursue personal happiness is all about
Bklyn

Brooklyn, NY

#13 May 31, 2012
Linger Cheechh wrote:
We all know people who have this joking attitude about painkillers they were given after an injury and surgery. This is not a joke, Decent people get addicted to this stuff and end up as criminals because of it
Doctors are the other half of the problem. Whenever I get dental work or some minor procedure, the doctor is quick to write a script for vicodin
Not long ago I had a cyst taken off my abdomen near the surface of the skin. This was done in the office with a shot of novicaine. The doctor wanted to give me some vicodin, but I turned him down because I had a bunch left over from a tooth extraction. The only "pain" I had from the surgery was some itching.
Doctors do not get anybody hooked on these medications, it is the people themselves that get hooked and by the way you can turn down the prescription by saying I don't want that prescription. Bottom line narcotic medications are addictive and if you take them for a period of time your body will become physically dependent on them and if you stop you will go through withdrawals which is a side effect of this medication. So you as an adult patient have to ask yourself the question is the pain I have worth taking this medication and when I stop I understand I will go through withdrawals or should I just go home and take some aspirin or Tylenol for my pain. Instead what happens is that you want to use the pain medication which you know is addictive and then when you don't have any more you want to wine and cry about it and then blame everyone else because you either became addicted or physically dependent on the medication. Please if you are one of these people that are going to wine and blame the doctors and pharmaceutical companies that make it "DO NOT USE NARCOTIC MEDICATIONS" as they are addictive

I have been a Chronic Pain Patient for 7 years now and have been prescribed narcotic pain medications for those 7 years and I made the decision that the kind of pain I have is worth taking narcotic pain medications and understand that I will become physically dependent on this medication and if I ever need to stop I will go through withdrawals as that is a side effect of using this type of medication and I would never think of pointing my finger at somebody else or blame my doctor as I have the final choice of either saying yes or no to using any prescription.
dr mikeo

Horsham, PA

#15 May 31, 2012
With incurable back pain, I have been on painkillers over 10 years. Everyone look at me like I have 2 heads when I say that. I mentioned this to my doctor and he said the public perception is that you are weak if you are on pain med. he put it in another perspective for me...

"you being addicted to pain pills is like a diabetic being addicted to insulin"

You need it to have any kind of quality of life
Chung Ki Phat Boi

Rochester, NY

#16 Jun 8, 2012
Just like fat people get addicted to
McDonalds
Burger Kings
Wendys
Arbys
Mighty Tacos
KFC
Roy Rogers
5 Guys Burgers
Dairy Queen
Friendlys
Taco Bell
Pizza Hut
Dominoes
Quiznos
Subway
Dunkin Donuts
Tim Hortons
Long John Silvers
Panera Bread
IHOP
Dennys
Applebees
Red Lobster
Ruby Tuesdays
TGIF Fridays
Perkins
Olive Gardens
Chuck E Cheese
Chipotle
Baskin Robbins
Fuddruckers
Bonefish Grill
Bob Evans
Macaroni Grill
Buffalo Wild Wings
Boston Market
Buckeyes
Tullys
Red Robin
Ted's HOts
Perkins
Outback Steakhouse
Johnny ROckets
Louies Texas
Bocce Pizza
China ______(fill in the name)
son ot tbird

Buffalo, NY

#17 Jun 8, 2012
Linger Cheechh wrote:

every scrip is written during an office visit and that means $$$$$$$$.
Docs have stock in the drug companies. Do the math here. It is a sustainable business. Keep the door revolving just like the bar at tbirds bar.

Since: Jun 13

Golden Valley, AZ

#18 Jun 16, 2013
For the facts on death from substances, besides drunk driving and complications, opiates kill more then anything else annually.

“bless the USA”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#19 Jun 16, 2013
gldnvllyguy wrote:
For the facts on death from substances, besides drunk driving and complications, opiates kill more then anything else annually.
ALCOHOL, man.

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#20 Jun 27, 2013
Methadone now kills more than traffic accidents, heroin and cocaine.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#21 Jun 27, 2013
I believe most overdose deaths can be attributed to when people don't follow the instructions on the bottle and take more than prescribed or mix methadone with other substances, such as alcohol or benzos. If a person is irresponsible with their medication, the results are nobody's fault but their own.
Yes, a side effect of opiate based medication is physical dependence. As stated in a previous post, as long as an individual is aware of the potential risks and side effects of long time use, they should be able to weigh these risks against having to live with constant debilitating pain and then make an informed decision on whether or not to take the medication. Of course this should be done under the guidance of a medical professional.
Opiatechacer

Lansing, MI

#23 Aug 20, 2013
No I just pop 50ma day and I lov it
death by cop

Warsaw, NY

#25 Aug 20, 2013
Smarter to tell your doctor to fk off and to keep their pain killers that make you all fked up and make you sick. And smoke pot, so what if your doctors hate you when you tell them you do. They are not doctors who care thats all. And batavia is loaded with doctors that will ignore you and your health when they find out that you smoke pot. I lost a very nice lady doctor that used to care, until i told her i wont quit. Jail or death is the only way for me to quit.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 5 hr Fitus T Bluster 21,058
Black man gets unemployment while in jail (May '11) Fri Z Media 12
Tim demler Thu Your favorite bui... 2
Avandia Wed Perry 1
I miss Don ''NO NECK'' Paul on channel 4 weather May 24 Sam 2
Are you tired of seeing so many African-America... May 24 Honest Abraham 11
does britni smallwood have a speech impediment May 24 Buck Rohde 2

Grand Island Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Island Mortgages