Thruway Authority Chief Disputes Clai...

Thruway Authority Chief Disputes Claim by Congressman Higgins

There are 14 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Feb 27, 2008, titled Thruway Authority Chief Disputes Claim by Congressman Higgins. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

Accusing the New York State Thruway Authority of "again turning its back on Western New York" Congressman Brian Higgins renewed his call for the agency -- which he says answers to no one-- to be abolished.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

Observer

Windham, ME

#1 Feb 28, 2008
Keep up the pressure. These authorities need oversight. How about the Erie County Water AUTHORITY? They need oversight too!
Get the Facts

Buffalo, NY

#2 Feb 28, 2008
Stop accusing! Get the facts right and stop assuming. Higgins is making a fool of himself.
Jan B

East Amherst, NY

#3 Feb 28, 2008
How can the people get rid of the New York Thruway authority? If we have New York Department of Transportation who could do the same job and save the taxpayers money.
Chuck

Lancaster, NY

#4 Feb 28, 2008
I suggest if enough people just refuse to pay the tolls and drive through them, then maybe something will get done. Yea they will try to ticket you but fight it in court and watch what happens.
Sarah

Windham, ME

#5 Feb 28, 2008
If possible, do not use the tolls...find other routes to take, I have. I am tired of giving my hard earned money away only to see it go to other places in NYS; nothing gets fixed here.
Speck

Buffalo, NY

#6 Feb 28, 2008
Back in the day, tolls were supposed to be "temporary" to help pay for repairs. Since they saw how much $ they make, they will never be taken down.
ChrisG

Stephenville, TX

#7 Feb 28, 2008
I grew up in Western New York. I recently moved to Texas. It is UNBELIEVABLE how much Western New Yorkers get taxed by their own state, counties, and the Thruway authority compared to residents of other states. It is downright criminal how Western New Yorkers are always getting their pockets dipped into by local government authorities. I say this because going back and forth as much as I do across the country, fellow Western New Yorkers should know how bad their plight is compared to other communities. Not to mention how rude the bureaucracy can be to its citizens in WNY. It's past time something is done to address these problems - before you lose more good residents and businesses.
2 On Whose Side

Ellicott City, MD

#8 Feb 28, 2008
They only got one bid for the job because the Thruway Authority are real jerks to work for. A big savings by waiting for more bidders will be offset by inflation.
Ex-WNYer

Syracuse, NY

#9 Feb 28, 2008
Chuck wrote:
I suggest if enough people just refuse to pay the tolls and drive through them, then maybe something will get done. Yea they will try to ticket you but fight it in court and watch what happens.
Great idea Chuck....pay a $50 ticket instead of a $1.00 toll....you must be one of NASA's rocket scientists!!!
Mike

Buffalo, NY

#10 Feb 28, 2008
ChrisG wrote:
I grew up in Western New York. I recently moved to Texas. It is UNBELIEVABLE how much Western New Yorkers get taxed by their own state, counties, and the Thruway authority compared to residents of other states. It is downright criminal how Western New Yorkers are always getting their pockets dipped into by local government authorities. I say this because going back and forth as much as I do across the country, fellow Western New Yorkers should know how bad their plight is compared to other communities. Not to mention how rude the bureaucracy can be to its citizens in WNY. It's past time something is done to address these problems - before you lose more good residents and businesses.
...and to think I moved here from Texas. WHAT A MISTAKE! I'd move back if I could afford to.
craig

AOL

#11 Feb 29, 2008
higgins is two faced,he was behind getting rid of the tolls at city line and black rock and now he wants to get rid of the tolls at the grand island bridges,but when that bridge in minnesota collapsed he said we need permanent funding for our roads and bridges. you dont get more permanent than a toll.lets give the bridges to the DOT,does anyone remember the news article about the bridge at the I290 and I190? the DOT takes care of that bridge and it was ready to fall down.
ChrisG

Stephenville, TX

#12 Feb 29, 2008
Mike,

Where did you move from in Texas?
Get the Facts

Buffalo, NY

#13 Mar 10, 2008
Chuck wrote:
I understand that you don't like tolls, but where do you think the funds will come from if tolls are eliminated? How 'bout property taxes? Yes, let's tax Grama who never uses the Thruway but owns a house. That makes a lot of sense! And of course, all those out of state people can use our Thruway for free too!
420Sheriff

United States

#14 Mar 11, 2008
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
...and to think I moved here from Texas. WHAT A MISTAKE! I'd move back if I could afford to.
Im with you on that one this state blows

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cuba's Vietnam War Involvement 25 min Coocket Crocket Mown 16
Priest not guilty of fellatio in Church 4 hr operation greylord 4
Tim Demler (Jun '15) 7 hr wlvl 13
The holy time of Ramadan has started 19 hr Buck Rohde 12
is Nalina Shapiro fat? (Dec '12) Fri uncle buck 81
Chris Romanowski Empire Liquidators 1791 Fillmo... Jun 22 Brent 10
Ghetto assed names Jun 22 Sassyiam56 44
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Island Mortgages