Case of MRSA in Grand Island Middle S...

Case of MRSA in Grand Island Middle School

There are 32 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Oct 24, 2007, titled Case of MRSA in Grand Island Middle School. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

Students are being asked to wash hands and take extra precautions in the Grand Island school district after a middle school student there contracted the antiobiotic-resistant strain of staph known as MRSA.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Concerned Citizen

Buffalo, NY

#21 Oct 25, 2007
Dear Channel 2,
There was an article in the Buffalo News Paper today discussing the 26 inmates in Niagara County Jail that contracted MRSA. A former friend of mine was serving time in Niagara County Jail From September 07-February 07. During his stay at the Niagara County Jail is the time when the inmates were first contracting MRSA. Why do you think that it has taken months for this information to become public? Eventually inmates get released and some go home to families. The inmates were informed about how it was being contracted and to constantly wash their hands. However, as a member of the public and someone who lives right in the town where the Niagara County Jail resides, I feel that this information should have been released a lot sooner. I feel as though this information has been withheld from the public and now it is appearing in our school systems, something I feel could have been prevented had we known a lot sooner. Has anyone asked the Niagara County Jail when the inmates and officers first began showing signs of MRSA? If more of the public knew how long this has been affecting people around us they may be just as frustrated and upset as I am.
~Concerned Lockport Citizen
nikki

Buffalo, NY

#22 Oct 25, 2007
Julie wrote:
My whole family came down with MRSA infections last year. Not pretty, but we are cured and educated now. The communities to do not need to panic or over-react. Just WASH YOUR HANDS and finish your antibiotics. My daughter had a nasty infection last year and I am so glad the school did not over-react and put out a flier about it. She took the appropriate precautions, and with her doctors okay, did not miss more than a day of school. The media has grabbed hold of this and I guess its good because much of the public is hearing about this for the first time. MRSA has been around for a long time, so for people to see it this as a sudden and dangerous health hazard is unrealistic. If everybody takes the necessary precautions (which we should be doing anyways), the risk is minimal to everybody.
i love my child very much and i would want to know if there was a case of it in her school. im sure you would want to as well woulndt you . you should think about that realy think about it
kris2

Penfield, NY

#23 Oct 25, 2007
Why is everyone freaking out about this big "superbug"? It has probably been in the schools for sometime but nobody looked at it or for it until now. If we are freaking out about MRSA what about other ones like ORSA or VRE? People are always on precaution due to these little bugs when they come into the hospital. You would be amazed at what you can walk away with leaving a hospital.(for those of you who don't know what ORSA or VRE is look it up)
Kathy

Tonawanda, NY

#24 Oct 25, 2007
My father-in-law died after contracting a case of MRSA at Mercy Hospital in January of 2005. At least five other people in the ICU also contacted the infection at the same time. He was on IV antibiotics for several weeks and the doctors told us over and over that most times the infection is fatal and that we should remove his life support because there was little chance he would recover. After two months in ICU, he finally passed away from total organ failure due to the infection. Anyone with a weakened immune system is extremely vulnerable to the bug. We were told to wear masks and to use hand sanitizer and wear gloves every time we visited his room. There is a cleaner that is available called PS. It is a disinfecting surface cleaner that is effective against both staph and MRSA. I would suggest that anyone who has had contact with MRSA purchase the cleaner and use it regularly. I have done so since my father-in-law's situation occured. From what I have been told, Mercy has one of the worst records in the area in relation to spreading of this superbug. I would suggest that anyone who visits the hospital or knows of anyone being treated there be very careful. The infection is easily spread and anyone exposed to it should take every precaution possible.
stressed out nurse

Buffalo, NY

#25 Oct 26, 2007
Trickster, the CDC also reports about 36,000 people in the US will die from influenza. Close to 5,000 die from food poisoning. Approximately 100 people die every year from complications of chicken pox, which is something some parents still encourage their children to be exposed to rather than get the vaccine. I can give you stats all day long. The point is, until someone TOLD you, you had no idea what was going on! MRSA's been around for quite some time, caused by stupid people (in AND out of the medical field) who, as far as I'm concerned, do what is convenient rather than what is right!! Wash your hands, finish ALL your antibiotics, and don't ask for an antibiotic for a viral infection!!
Arnold

Brookfield, WI

#26 Oct 26, 2007
joe wrote:
dirty kids... mrsa starts from oral sex.... how old are these little scumbags of albion??? I BLAME THE PARENTS!
Wash your weiner first!
Chelles3lilguys

AOL

#27 Oct 26, 2007
Just for the record. I spoke to my sons dr. yesterday b/c I was very concerned with this. My son does have a immune problem & has been having reoccurring staph infections. She told me that she see's 10-15 kids a week at Childrens Hospital with MRCA.
Jen

Depew, NY

#28 Oct 26, 2007
I guess it is pretty common.
Casey Albion NY

United States

#29 Oct 26, 2007
joe wrote:
dirty kids... mrsa starts from oral sex.... how old are these little scumbags of albion??? I BLAME THE PARENTS!
NO it does not come from oral sex! How much research have you done on marsa? b/c to me it seems like none. Do your research before stating rude things like that!
MRSA in Cent FL

Dallas, TX

#30 Jan 18, 2008
Well, I was at the local ER a few nights ago due to what I thought was a spider bite. After seeing my regular MD yesterday, was advised that I have MRSA. How in the heck did I contract this is the million dollar question of the year?
I am one of the lucky ones with asthma, COPD and now MRSA. With good direction from my MD, my own research and natural health, I hope to overcome and be able to pass on my knowledge to others about the importance the study of MRSA and what we as a society must do to protect our well being.
God Bless to all.
Julia

Los Angeles, CA

#32 Feb 5, 2008
I have had MRSA and ORSA, full body, heavy growth. Most likely I contracted it from surgery. It took a very long time for doctors to believe there was something wrong with me. I heard over and over that I did drugs or was insane. Then my young child caught it. My treatment was intense and took 8 months and many types of serious antibiotics to cure. This was years ago. My child has now contracted MRSA for the third time. We keep our home, hands, clothing, everything very clean. Those that have stated such rude comments need to educate themselves before they speak about something they no nothing about.
joshuasmom

United States

#33 Apr 1, 2008
to joe - you should know what you are talking about. mrsa doesn't come from just dirty kids. I know someone that got it from being in a hospital for a minor procedure. yes being clean helps but it doesn't prevent. don't call kids that you have no clue about dirty scumbags from albion the person I know is 70. becareful have you ever heard of karma.!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 7 hr south amboy 20,699
WIVB Chanel 4 Worst News Station in Buffalo? (Apr '13) 10 hr Vic miller 49
Will some refugees be deported back to their co... 14 hr lol 4
News Harvard student says a man called him a - f***i... 14 hr lol 6
Election Who do you support for State Senator in New Yor... (Oct '10) Sat amwaysux 30
slumlords in buffalo (Jan '09) Fri Shorty420 63
News Carjacking & police chase in Hamburg (Jun '08) Dec 2 sirianniregdosbut... 30

Grand Island Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Island Mortgages