Torn Apart: How the Federal Governmen...

Torn Apart: How the Federal Government Separates Parents and Children

There are 40 comments on the In These Times story from Dec 20, 2011, titled Torn Apart: How the Federal Government Separates Parents and Children. In it, In These Times reports that:

Immigrant parents pose unique challenges for social workers, like finding translators of indigenous languages or tracking down a parent in ICE detention.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at In These Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Really

De Soto, KS

#1 Dec 20, 2011
There's no law keeping the other families in OUR country, none!
USA

United States

#2 Dec 20, 2011
Really wrote:
There's no law keeping the other families in OUR country, none!
humane laws maybe not written in stone - Jose Vargas has lived in the U.S. for 24 years. He built his own landscaping business and employs several people working to clean up yards in many of Detroit's nicer neighborhoods.
He has two daughters, both U.S. citizens. The oldest is about to turn 21. Jose pays his taxes and his mortgage. He volunteers with his block club and his church.
Jose is exactly the kind of neighbor we wish we all had. Hardworking and community-minded, he is raising a family with his eyes on the American Dream.
Jose is also due to be deported in about a month.
When that happens, we all will lose a taxpayer, community leader and entrepreneur. His daughters will lose a father.
Why didn't Jose just "get in line" and emigrate the right way back in Mexico?
Quite simply, there is no line for Jose and millions like him. If you have hundreds of thousands of dollars or a skill like computer programming, there might be a line for you. If you have family already here with residency or citizenship, the line can be 13 years long. For working people like Jose, who built their lives by the sweat of their brows, there is no legal immigration process.
Why didn't Jose "get his papers fixed" during those 24 years? Surely there is a form he could have filled out?
For the 11 million undocumented immigrants currently living and working in the U.S., the sad reality is that there is simply no way to get their papers fixed. They're stuck.
We all understand that our immigration system is broken. Some politicians, with their eyes only on the next election, will tell you that we can simply "enforce the law" and be done with the matter. These hucksters are either lying to themselves or to you.
We simply cannot deport 11 million people. It is impossible.
To even try to deport 11 million people would leave our economy in tatters -- fruit would rot in the fields, meat would go rancid in the slaughterhouses, and all the vital, often invisible, work that immigrants do every day in our economy would simply go undone. And how many laid-off autoworkers do you know jumping at the chance to become migrant farm workers?
The 11 million should instead be required to register with the government, pay a fine and any back taxes, agree to learn English if necessary, and pass a background check. In exchange, they should be allowed to continue raising their families in the U.S. and get on an earned path to citizenship.
We cannot fix this with a wall in the desert. We cannot fix this with white-hot rhetoric and laws that turn every Latino into a suspected criminal. We can only fix this with comprehensive immigration reform.
For more information, visit www.michiganimmigrationreform.org Ryan Bates is director of the Alliance for Immigrants Rights & Reform-Michigan.
ICE is deporting non-criminal Latinos most of the time
record high deportation needs 28 years to deport 'illegals' if they stop coming

“Get over yourself...”

Since: Jan 08

You're not that important

#3 Dec 20, 2011
Maybe if she would have kept the doctor appointment that taxpayers provided for her ill child, she wouldn't have been in that situation?
R U Kidding Me

Saint Louis, MO

#4 Dec 20, 2011
The family members aren't being held hostage.
Good Gawd

De Soto, KS

#5 Dec 24, 2011
Just another boo hoo story.
Oh Please

De Soto, KS

#6 Dec 25, 2011
Just another sob story and nothing else!

Since: Feb 11

Chicago, IL

#7 Dec 25, 2011
So the f**k what, what else is new??? Are we suppose to cry because he is being deported take his family with him including his anchor babies he had here while living here illegaly! See that? Hispanics mainly think if they give another played out sob story we will buy into it, these people are defienant people who feel they are suppose to have preferrencial choice over other people who have been waiting for many years to get here and do what this man has done legaly, so just because he snuck here and has rooted his self here we are suppose to have a bleeding heart??? Please! Every illegal and their anchors can leave today america will be half empty!
Juan

Pearland, TX

#8 Dec 25, 2011
Under no conditions should a parent and child be separated.

That is cruel.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#9 Dec 25, 2011
heres a Merry Christmas for them send them free of charge to their family and told to never come back.
Khuan

Carmel, IN

#10 Dec 25, 2011
Illegal mexihole Jose hemanas vargas employed illegal mexiholes in his business and was able to undercut and put out of business his American citizen competition which didn't employ illegal mexiholes. There was no line for Jose to get into because the US doesn't want or need any more 3rd world mexihole peons. The open border treason lobby tries to suppress the concept of attrition through enforcement of existing immigration laws as well as the passing of newer ever increasingly tougher immigration laws against illegal mexiholes which would have forced Jose to return back to his shythole in mexihole on his own nickle. Cost to American taxpayers of attrition through enforcement of existing immigration laws? ZERO!
racer42

Hayward, CA

#11 Dec 25, 2011
Juan wrote:
Under no conditions should a parent and child be separated.
That is cruel.
There's no law that says that the parents can't take the child/children back with them.

What do you think happens when a father or mother is sent to jail for committing a crime? Are you advocating that the child should be put in jail along with the parent?

Since: Feb 11

Chicago, IL

#12 Dec 25, 2011
Juan wrote:
Under no conditions should a parent and child be separated.
That is cruel.
What's cruel is the parents not taking these kids back with them to their country of orgin, fix what's broken in your own country this should not be hard to comprehend, states are not fed up for no reason and the lists are increasely growing everyday! Have you ever asked yourself why are the states going over board with immigration? Well let me answer that. Illegals are here to work on our tax dollars, illegals use all our public services did you know that hispanics make up for more people on wic than any other culture by numbers, illegals are and will over populate by 2050 they will be half of the population (hispanics) there should be balance when clearly there is none. How can you learn when you breed like bedbugs and then the offsprings breed like that as well. Low assimulation rate of hispanics mainly is worse than any other culture. Healthcare for prenatal care and kid care is astunding costing states billions next to citizens of all races mainly hispanics again! Over crowding of schools by illegals and the anchors they have here to where one neighborhood has two to three schools for one community and the american kids get programs cut due to ELS classes. If mexico or any other country would welcome US citizens the way US has welcomed illegals would you feel the same if I came to your country and used and abused your programs you paid into and can not use because of exhauted funds by people who do not belong there. You would feel different if your country was prosperous and a hoard full of poor people who do not excel past grammar school work!
DAVID63

Since: Nov 11

Seattle, WA

#13 Dec 25, 2011
Dashing through the snow,in I.C.E. crammed full buss'es,sending the illegals,back to mexico.
We do not care,if all of them are from there,
but since Mexico sends their citizens here,we will give back more.
Oh,jingle jingle bells,all of the illegals can go to hell.Sitting with their fellow illegals at a mexican bus stop,they have nothing left.
All of their belongins,was seized and sold off to pay their cost for being here,and bow all of them,from their grandparents to rug rat brats,can freeze their selves and rot in hell.

Merry xmas to all Americans and legal immigrants.
Juan

Pearland, TX

#14 Dec 26, 2011
kchibrown38 wrote:
<quoted text>What's cruel is the parents not taking these kids back with them to their country of orgin, fix what's broken in your own country this should not be hard to comprehend, states are not fed up for no reason and the lists are increasely growing everyday! Have you ever asked yourself why are the states going over board with immigration? Well let me answer that. Illegals are here to work on our tax dollars, illegals use all our public services did you know that hispanics make up for more people on wic than any other culture by numbers, illegals are and will over populate by 2050 they will be half of the population (hispanics) there should be balance when clearly there is none. How can you learn when you breed like bedbugs and then the offsprings breed like that as well. Low assimulation rate of hispanics mainly is worse than any other culture. Healthcare for prenatal care and kid care is astunding costing states billions next to citizens of all races mainly hispanics again! Over crowding of schools by illegals and the anchors they have here to where one neighborhood has two to three schools for one community and the american kids get programs cut due to ELS classes. If mexico or any other country would welcome US citizens the way US has welcomed illegals would you feel the same if I came to your country and used and abused your programs you paid into and can not use because of exhauted funds by people who do not belong there. You would feel different if your country was prosperous and a hoard full of poor people who do not excel past grammar school work!
America is a rich country and should welcome us. Those children your talking about are citizens of the US.
Juan

Pearland, TX

#15 Dec 26, 2011
DAVID63 wrote:
Dashing through the snow,in I.C.E. crammed full buss'es,sending the illegals,back to mexico.
We do not care,if all of them are from there,
but since Mexico sends their citizens here,we will give back more.
Oh,jingle jingle bells,all of the illegals can go to hell.Sitting with their fellow illegals at a mexican bus stop,they have nothing left.
All of their belongins,was seized and sold off to pay their cost for being here,and bow all of them,from their grandparents to rug rat brats,can freeze their selves and rot in hell.
Merry xmas to all Americans and legal immigrants.
David......I think you farted in your tee pee, causing a loss of brain cells.

Since: Feb 11

Chicago, IL

#16 Dec 26, 2011
Juan wrote:
<quoted text>
America is a rich country and should welcome us. Those children your talking about are citizens of the US.
Mexico has rich resouces why can't you use the resouces there? Why are you trying to build on something that's already built and set??? Did we ask for any help destroying america? That's waht illegal immigration and legal at that is doing demeaning american values and renduring us your culture, the same culture you ran from!
annie

Naperville, IL

#17 Dec 26, 2011
Juan wrote:
Under no conditions should a parent and child be separated.
That is cruel.
That's why we want the illegal parents to take their jackpot babies with them.

If not for the illegal acts of the illegal parents, these children would not be here. We should and must not reward law breakers EVER
annie

Naperville, IL

#18 Dec 26, 2011
annie wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why we want the illegal parents to take their jackpot babies with them.
If not for the illegal acts of the illegal parents, these children would not be here. We should and must not reward law breakers EVER
WHat do u suggest we do with the children with parents in the military? They are separated.

What about the children whose parents are killed by illegals? What do we do with them?

If parents don't want to be separated from their children, they should not break our laws. How many of these illegals leave their children behind in their home country.
annie

Naperville, IL

#19 Dec 26, 2011
Juan wrote:
<quoted text>
America is a rich country and should welcome us. Those children your talking about are citizens of the US.
UR opinion that America is rich. If so, it's because we fought for our freedoms, while Mexico was growing in corruption for 500 years.
If we are rich from the fruits of our labors, shouldn't that be our choice whom we help?

I choose not to help, law breaking, drug smuggling, under educated peasants w a 4th grade education who can't live w/o handouts. Yet daily demand rights from a country they invaded instead of fighting for those same benefits at home. U don't belong here. Illegals are not checked for diseases and bring those same diseases to America. They do not help America at all. JFK "ask not what America can do for you, ask what you can do for AMerica".

Words u need to learn and live by, u paarite!!!
Juan

Pearland, TX

#20 Dec 27, 2011
It will not break america to give us a helping hand. Our children are citizens, that should mean something.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Beastiality (Apr '10) 7 hr Puppyluv83 35
(.R ox y Bulk!!) ku*sh !! % Nov 22 Mr g 1
Coke machine (May '16) Oct '16 Hopie 3
News Record-high number of illegal aliens have died ... Sep '16 spytheweb 5
News Winning numbers drawn in 'Pick 3 Night' game Sep '16 Keiragambler 4
News Anti-Islam activists stage protest atop Berlin ... Aug '16 Marie-Luise_J 1
Salvage yard (Jun '15) Aug '16 I know 2

Grand Island Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Island Mortgages