Job seekers crowd Grand Haven office

Job seekers crowd Grand Haven office

There are 24 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Mar 3, 2009, titled Job seekers crowd Grand Haven office. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

In the last month alone, more than 900 jobs have been cut in Ottawa County. So it's no surprise the Michigan Works office in Grand Haven was busier than the local Starbucks.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bessie

Comstock Park, MI

#21 Mar 6, 2009
The M A R V I N Unemployment Benefits. Is still hard for people to get through. My appointment with M A R V I N is on Tuesday between the hour of 10:00 am and 11:00 am. it takes us all day to get through.
overisel

Zeeland, MI

#22 Mar 7, 2009
Bessie wrote:
I would like more information about COBRA the health insurance for unemployed worker. I would also like to know more about the stimulas package that Pesident Obama is doing to help the unemployed workers
you can get cobra thru your last employer but it is very expenisvive. i had a couple of jobs that the cobra was $600 or more a month. i feel sorry for people. all jobs are leaving the great USA i just had 2 cousins whose jobs are moving to mexico.
Luvboatin

Deerfield, IL

#23 Mar 17, 2009
I am in no way discounting finishing an education but it really ticks me off when pencil pushers degrade a highly skilled labor job.
I used to work in a factory environment, got paid well, and am just as smart as many college educated folks. When I was young there were more opportunities to make a decent living without piling up debt.
I didn't come from money and didn't earn scholarships.
Oh, well..
Hindsight is 20/20.
I just cannot stand pompous educated folks who think they are better than others because they have a degree.
I happen to appreciate and respect educated people as much as the folks who actually have to get dirty to make a living.

There is such a thing as "skilled labor" believe it or not and plugging them with lesser candidates often leads to other issues down the road.
Enough with my rambling.
The fact of the matter is, many qualified people are having a hard time getting hired by Walmart.
That is the truth.
My husband and I are contemplating a move to Idaho because of some connections we have for employment and the economy is much better out there.

Since: Sep 08

Bowling Green, KY

#24 Mar 18, 2009
Luvboatin wrote:
I am in no way discounting finishing an education but it really ticks me off when pencil pushers degrade a highly skilled labor job.
I used to work in a factory environment, got paid well, and am just as smart as many college educated folks. When I was young there were more opportunities to make a decent living without piling up debt.
I didn't come from money and didn't earn scholarships.
Oh, well..
Hindsight is 20/20.
I just cannot stand pompous educated folks who think they are better than others because they have a degree.
I happen to appreciate and respect educated people as much as the folks who actually have to get dirty to make a living.
There is such a thing as "skilled labor" believe it or not and plugging them with lesser candidates often leads to other issues down the road.
Enough with my rambling.
The fact of the matter is, many qualified people are having a hard time getting hired by Walmart.
That is the truth.
My husband and I are contemplating a move to Idaho because of some connections we have for employment and the economy is much better out there.
Not a bad idea at all to move. I left GR, and moved to Bowling Green, KY quite a few years ago. I'm still wroking, and there are still a lot of jobs in the local area. Forbes Mag actualy list Bowling Green as one of the top 10 small cities for growth in the US. not bad eh?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Haven Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Senate-passed Detroit School plan 'farce,' 'cow... Jun '16 bozo 1
News Ottawa County Church Engulfed in Flames HOLLAND... May '16 District 1 1
News Christine Workman's mug shot from the Muskegon ... Apr '16 WhoDat 1
News These Lake Michigan beaches are getting more sa... Apr '16 next 1
Michigan Sex Offenders Release (Jun '09) Jan '16 aurelius 25
News Feds: Woman stuffed $1.9 million in purse over ... (Dec '15) Jan '16 Ray 3
Jessica Heeringa (Aug '13) Dec '15 redrum 13

Grand Haven Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance