Job seekers crowd Grand Haven office

Job seekers crowd Grand Haven office

There are 24 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Mar 3, 2009, titled Job seekers crowd Grand Haven office. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

In the last month alone, more than 900 jobs have been cut in Ottawa County. So it's no surprise the Michigan Works office in Grand Haven was busier than the local Starbucks.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
scraping by

United States

#1 Mar 3, 2009
$24 an hour? Geez, almost as bad as the UAW wages.

I've often said that we are cutting our own throats in wanting high wages but inexpensive goods. Something has to give in the process and it's our jobs going to China or Mexico.
Doc

Grand Rapids, MI

#2 Mar 3, 2009
Was this a union job, nope otherwise he would still be working ah... maybe... well you cannot keep demanding more money... the rest of the world doesn't make jack for pay... but has the job to support our greed.
KR_Grand_Rapids

Hudsonville, MI

#3 Mar 3, 2009
LOL
Would Someone please wake him up!! those days are gone. They can hire three temps for that price!
"I would like what I was making before --$24 an hour. With the economy the way it is, you almost have to,"
A Coulter

Hudsonville, MI

#4 Mar 3, 2009
KR_Grand_Rapids wrote:
LOL
Would Someone please wake him up!! those days are gone. They can hire three temps for that price!
"I would like what I was making before --$24 an hour. With the economy the way it is, you almost have to,"
After Obama gets his Cap & Trade BS into law we will all have to spend $24/hr just to heat our homes and drive to work. The dumbest president in the history of the PLANET.
Amy

United States

#5 Mar 4, 2009
$24/hr...let me guess, you started out of high school no college degree and you want $24/hr to go somewhere else...I guess I would hire the guy that would be greatful to make $10 or 15/hr!! Maybe you will have to work two jobs like some people out there!!

Why do you think GM,Chrysler and Ford are where they are because the Union has out priced the work force. I have family retired from GM who bring home 5900/mo in pension and retirement which I think is CRAZY!!!
Libby

Amboy, IL

#6 Mar 4, 2009
Are you guys trying to say that you didn't see this coming? Come on people, take the blinders off! I moved out of Michigan 8 years ago, I could see then what was going to happen! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize when the big corporations are having a hard time, and laying off all but "skeleton crews", things are just beginning to get bad, and you need to get out before you're completely screwed! If I can do it,(being a single mother) A~N~Y~O~N~E C~A~N!!!!
P M I

Grand Rapids, MI

#7 Mar 4, 2009
$24/hour is just under $50K per year... decent, but not an huge amount of money!!!
scraping by wrote:
$24 an hour? Geez, almost as bad as the UAW wages.
I've often said that we are cutting our own throats in wanting high wages but inexpensive goods. Something has to give in the process and it's our jobs going to China or Mexico.
P M I

Grand Rapids, MI

#8 Mar 4, 2009
Ditto that!!!!!
A Coulter wrote:
<quoted text>
After Obama gets his Cap & Trade BS into law we will all have to spend $24/hr just to heat our homes and drive to work. The dumbest president in the history of the PLANET.
mb from gr

Littleton, CO

#9 Mar 4, 2009
mi-works is useless, ive been there and i go on the michigan talent bank everyday. there are literally no new jobs on there. im just holding out for the summer jobs to start popping up here.
froggy log

United States

#10 Mar 4, 2009
Things arent getting any better.
Liz

Old Bridge, NJ

#11 Mar 4, 2009
Hey, Kenny,
Best written story ever on the WOOD Web site! Maybe you CAN teach old dogs new tricks!
Frank

United States

#12 Mar 4, 2009
Machine Repair is a skilled trade. Regardless of his initial education (i.e., high school diploma, college degree, etc.) he had to learn a great deal in order to perform his job responsibilities.
Amy wrote:
$24/hr...let me guess, you started out of high school no college degree and you want $24/hr to go somewhere else...I guess I would hire the guy that would be greatful to make $10 or 15/hr!! Maybe you will have to work two jobs like some people out there!!
Why do you think GM,Chrysler and Ford are where they are because the Union has out priced the work force. I have family retired from GM who bring home 5900/mo in pension and retirement which I think is CRAZY!!!

Since: Feb 09

San Jose, CA

#13 Mar 4, 2009
Imagine that unemployment offices are busy in the great state of Michigan. Why would that be? Maybe because we have the highest unemployment rate in the country (10.6%) unless Rhode Island supasses us (currently at 10.3%). Wow just amazing that someone is actually busy working. I wish someone would answer the phone at 1-866-500-0017. I have been calling all morning. I want to reinstate my benefits if the state agrees I am no longer disqualified.
Make some sense

Alma, MI

#14 Mar 4, 2009
"I would like what I was making before --$24 an hour. With the economy the way it is, you almost have to," TRANSLATION - I will milk unemployment as long as I can, after all I can file for Social Security anytime I want.
WONDERING

Grandville, MI

#15 Mar 4, 2009
You know MI works does try with the "no worker left behind" I just wish Gramholm would allow my daughter more time to complete her Assoc degree at GRCC. If she does it in 2 yrs, she gets $2000 to finish up. There is no way she can get her degree. It is impossible to get into most classes. Due to the high number of MI Works trying to go to school. The merit award time needs to be changed due to the economic conditions. But I suppose the state wants to keep their 2k...too bad a student with good grades, from a married parents get nothing....no scholarships etc.. yet friends whose parents are divorced get all the perks and seem to throw it away by dropping out...Thanks for letting me vent
leftbehind

United States

#16 Mar 4, 2009
Getting anywhere with the no worker left behind program is impossible. My husband started signing up in October for the required tests. He's just had a case worker assigned and was told if he applied for funding now, he might see it by the fall semester. The case worker actually said by then he wouldn't qualify because he wouldn't be eligible for unemployment anymore! If anyone knows how to get help with this, please post any advice. Thanks!
Happily Employed

Seattle, WA

#17 Mar 4, 2009
P M I wrote:
$24/hour is just under $50K per year... decent, but not an huge amount of money!!!
<quoted text>
Between my husband and I we have five jobs and our income last year was something in the low $40,000 range. We are doing OK financially but we never see each other. We just make the most of the time we do have, and of course we are thanking our lucky stars that we HAVE these jobs--only one of which is union and therefore has benefits. Not all union jobs are astronomical wages!!

We have three teenage girls, two going to college in the fall and one a little younger. The two are hoping to get into work-study at college, and all three are busy writing essays to apply for the private college scholarships. Those looking for college help may want to check out fastweb.com .
canuck_455

Rockford, MI

#18 Mar 4, 2009
For what that guy knows, you couldn't hire 3 temps for that price, it would cost you 3 times as much, with less experience. "Sounds like the U.A.W."
KR_Grand_Rapids wrote:
LOL
edumacated

Whitmore Lake, MI

#19 Mar 4, 2009
"My advice to you is 'Do what your parents did and get a job, sir.' The bums lost Lebowski, CONDOLENCES!!!!!!!!

Oh, you mean the overly inflated wages of the last 25 years in Michigan have helped to collapse our state economy? Say it ain't so! So you mean a "skilled-labor" worker has been worth the $24/hr we've been paying them all along with their "good-enough-diploma? " We are coming back down to reality where jobs like that are now being paid what they are worth.

Perhaps its now that maybe we ought to instill in our children that getting an education beyond high school and majoring in a reciprocating trade is the viable option. Thusly, helping to get indigents off the system and promoting employment.

But, in the end, if no businesses are going to replace the dwindling ones, what the hey is the incentive?
Bessie

Comstock Park, MI

#20 Mar 6, 2009
I would like more information about COBRA the health insurance for unemployed worker. I would also like to know more about the stimulas package that Pesident Obama is doing to help the unemployed workers

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Haven Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Park Twp. Man Sentenced in Drive-By Shooting Nov '16 Go Blue Forever 1
Grand Haven doesnt like black people (Oct '12) Nov '16 Go Blue Forever 32
News Wallet Snatchers in Downtown Holland SoughtHOLL... Oct '16 Go Blue Forever 2
News Teen charged in shooting of driver in Muskegon ... Oct '16 Go Blue Forever 2
News Open Streets Detroit to turn Michigan Avenue, V... Oct '16 WATCHING LIVONIA 1
News Grand Haven man bound over in election forgery ... Aug '16 Go Blue Forever 1
News Senate-passed Detroit School plan 'farce,' 'cow... (Jun '16) Jun '16 bozo 1

Grand Haven Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Haven Mortgages