Ottawa County jobless rate drops below 12 percent

There are 16 comments on the Grand Haven Tribune story from Jun 24, 2010, titled Ottawa County jobless rate drops below 12 percent. In it, Grand Haven Tribune reports that:

The unemployment rate has dipped below 12 percent in Ottawa County for the first time in more than a year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Grand Haven Tribune.

First Prev
of 17
Next Last
bdwg

Holland, MI

#323 Jul 1, 2010
just can't get overr the fact that you were BS'd by some scientists.... it's ok Bonds.... there's a sucker born every minute...

Since: Jan 10

Holland, MI

#324 Jul 1, 2010
I'm saying science created the machines you use, the car you drive, the medicine you take, the fridge your food is in, even the shoes on your feet.

Do you not "believe" in that science, either?
Mongoose

Grand Rapids, MI

#325 Jul 2, 2010
bonds77 wrote:

Mongoose, how does the invisible presence and destiny over the world make more sense than fossils as proof? That's the question.
I will start by saying this: I believe God created the heavens and the earth. I also believe (unlike alasheive) the earth and the universe were created billions of years ago, approx, 4 billion and 13 billion years ago respectively. I'm not sure Methuselah lived 960 some years, but I think biblical measurements of time, probably differ from modern measures.

God gave man superior intelligence in order to take dominion over all the other animals as stated in scripture. With that God given wisdom, came scientific discoveries (carbon dating) that will cause conflict with ancient scripture. There is no doubt in my mind, dinosaurs walked the earth and the carbon dating of those remains is accurate. There is also no evidence that man and the dinosaurs were here at the same time. All that means to me though is this: God created Man after the Dinosaurs.(I believe God is still creating things at his own speed)

I will also state; there are things I can't explain and I don't understand. I am willing to accept those things based on my faith in Christ and his teachings. I also know that someone who is not of God, does not understand the concept of "Faith" and I excuse that as well.

That may or may not answer your question, but I have tried to give you an honest answer.

Holland, MI

#326 Jul 2, 2010
OK MAN! THAT'S ALL I WAS LOOKING FOR! HOW HARD WAS THAT??

A valid, interesting opinion(one my wife shares). I don't agree with you, but it's all yours! BTW, I wasn't always an athiest.
Ian

Raleigh, NC

#327 Jul 2, 2010
I was.

But don't ask me how or why this lil' cross got tattood on the back of my hand. ;)
Mongoose

Grand Rapids, MI

#328 Jul 2, 2010
Ian wrote:
I was.
But don't ask me how or why this lil' cross got tattood on the back of my hand. ;)
The swastika is also a cross.
Mongoose

Grand Rapids, MI

#329 Jul 2, 2010
bonds77 wrote:
OK MAN! THAT'S ALL I WAS LOOKING FOR! HOW HARD WAS THAT??
A valid, interesting opinion(one my wife shares). I don't agree with you, but it's all yours! BTW, I wasn't always an athiest.
HOW HARD WAS THAT?? come on bonds. You never asked me like that. Instead of chastising me, why couldn't you have said "Thanks Goose, I appreciate your honesty"? HOW HARD WOULD THAT HAVE BEEN??

Had I known you were going to whack me, for my attempt to give you an honest and well thought out answer, I would have forgone the effort.

“Dude, Where's my car?”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#330 Jul 2, 2010
Mongoose wrote:
<quoted text>
I will start by saying this: I believe God created the heavens and the earth. I also believe (unlike alasheive) the earth and the universe were created billions of years ago, approx, 4 billion and 13 billion years ago respectively. I'm not sure Methuselah lived 960 some years, but I think biblical measurements of time, probably differ from modern measures.
God gave man superior intelligence in order to take dominion over all the other animals as stated in scripture. With that God given wisdom, came scientific discoveries (carbon dating) that will cause conflict with ancient scripture. There is no doubt in my mind, dinosaurs walked the earth and the carbon dating of those remains is accurate. There is also no evidence that man and the dinosaurs were here at the same time. All that means to me though is this: God created Man after the Dinosaurs.(I believe God is still creating things at his own speed)
I will also state; there are things I can't explain and I don't understand. I am willing to accept those things based on my faith in Christ and his teachings. I also know that someone who is not of God, does not understand the concept of "Faith" and I excuse that as well.
That may or may not answer your question, but I have tried to give you an honest answer.
That's about the most intelligent post I've seen on here yet. And it's very close to what I believe as well. Don't use your science book as a religious text and don't use the Bible as a science book. Both are valid and both were written for entirely different reasons. Besides, science by it's very nature is always in flux. Our understanding of the universe (and time) has drastically changed in the last 100 years. And with the gaining knowledge of Quantum Physics, Science and Physics are about to undergo another revolution that is going to blow our whole understand of how the universe (and time) works anyway.
Mongoose

Grand Rapids, MI

#331 Jul 2, 2010
Thank you Hurley35, it took me a long time to get the words just right without going on for 3 pages. Maybe if I were smarter, I could have done it faster.

I am flattered with your compliment, thank you again.

Holland, MI

#332 Jul 2, 2010
I didn't whack you, Mongoose. If we could all give honest opinions, we'd get along a lot better.

I don't pretend to lack sarcasm.

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#333 Jul 3, 2010
Hurley35 wrote:
<quoted text>That's about the most intelligent post I've seen on here yet. And it's very close to what I believe as well. Don't use your science book as a religious text and don't use the Bible as a science book. Both are valid and both were written for entirely different reasons. Besides, science by it's very nature is always in flux. Our understanding of the universe (and time) has drastically changed in the last 100 years. And with the gaining knowledge of Quantum Physics, Science and Physics are about to undergo another revolution that is going to blow our whole understand of how the universe (and time) works anyway.
Agreed, darlin!

Great post Mongoose!
Mongoose

Grand Rapids, MI

#334 Jul 3, 2010
At the risk of ian and bonds rating this post "nuts", "spam", "clueless" or some other negative thing, Thank you Lucy in Rockford.

Fire away boys!

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#335 Jul 3, 2010
LMBO! Sooooo predictable!
bdwg

Allendale, MI

#336 Jul 4, 2010
bonds77 wrote:
I don't pretend to lack sarcasm.

nor hypocrisy

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#337 Jul 12, 2010
Mongoose wrote:
<quoted text>
I am appreciative of the manner and grace of your thoughtfulness concerning your Faith and Christian witness here Mongoose.

My primary differing of opinion is that I don't give carbon dating an exactness either. I can deal in millions of years but have difficulty moving to billions of years for earths existence because for me carbon dating is an example of mans inexact science, a scientific methodology that becomes almost religious in its argument to deny God's Being will always fail.

Took some searching to find your testimony.
Mongoose

Grand Rapids, MI

#338 Jul 12, 2010
Thanks for the comment Smoke.

Science is a terrific thing. Billions of years can be measured by the Red Shift of the Doppler Effect as observed, by looking at the most distant features in the universe, Quasars.

If astronomers look at an object 100 light years distant, they are seeing where that object WAS 100 years ago. The distance can be determined by analyzing the emitted light with a spectrometer. The farther away an object is, the more of a Doppler Red Shift it displays. With calculations, they can determine how far away something is. It is like a time machine. The farther you look into space, the farther back in time you look. So if you observe a quasar or a galaxy, that is 1 billion light years away, You are seeing where it WAS 1 billion years ago because that is how long it took for the light to get to your eye.

I'm sure it isn't exact, nothing is, but I trust the scientists are fairly accurate and Albert and his theory is reasonably correct.

I'm glad you found it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 17
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Haven Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Top 5 things to do in Muskegon area this week: ... Apr 13 benny 1
News Homicide in Muskegon Heights (Jan '09) Mar '15 hydra-blast 54
Diversity in Grand Haven? No thank you! Mar '15 Whitechick 1
Debate: Ferguson - Spring Lake, MI Feb '15 Dale 1
Is your veterinarian a GOOD veterinarian??? (Feb '06) Jan '15 Go Blue Forever 16
iCare Repair Jan '15 Jeff 2
What happened to Joellen Coon? (Apr '13) Jan '15 Joey D 20
More from around the web

Grand Haven People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]