Ottawa County jobless rate drops below 12 percent

Jun 24, 2010 Full story: Grand Haven Tribune 336

The unemployment rate has dipped below 12 percent in Ottawa County for the first time in more than a year.

Full Story
First Prev
of 17
Next Last

Since: Feb 10

Detroit, MI

#1 Jun 24, 2010
Granholm blowing us away.

“Hooray for summer!”

Since: Nov 08

Somewhere up north

#2 Jun 24, 2010
Not to defend Granholm...but isn't this a story about the job situation getting better in Michigan?

If the JOBLESS rate is DROPPING...well alashieve, your comment makes me believe you are a Granholm supporter. Am I reading that correctly?

Detroit, MI

#3 Jun 24, 2010
Strong women, the very fact that we have a 12 percent jobless rate shows what kind of failure Mrs. Granholm is and it just drop to 12 percent! That is horrible. I am over 40 and Granholm has done more harm to this state than any other governor in our state's history.

Since: Jan 10

Holland, MI

#4 Jun 25, 2010
Don likes to play Dungeons and Dragons a lot. That's why he's impartial to fantastic claims.

See article on "Take our Jobs".
snomad

Hudsonville, MI

#5 Jun 25, 2010
Just curious... are migrant worker head counts included in the unemployment surveys? I live in Ottawa County and migrant workers appear to be the only growing labor force from agricultural to building/contract work.

“Dude, Where's my car?”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#6 Jun 25, 2010
Apparently I'm older than most on here as I remember a time when things were even worse in this State. December, 1982. Unemployment rate: 16.8% and there was no such thing as unemployment extensions back then either.

“Taz say Hi”

Holland,MI

#7 Jun 25, 2010
Hurley35 wrote:
Apparently I'm older than most on here as I remember a time when things were even worse in this State. December, 1982. Unemployment rate: 16.8% and there was no such thing as unemployment extensions back then either.
I remember those days only too well! I was unemployed for over a year, if you want to call delivering newspapers employment! However, it did put food on the table. Just pray that the car didn't die! When I did my income tax for that year, about half of my gross income was deductible for the miles I drove (44k)!!

“Dude, Where's my car?”

Location hidden

#8 Jun 25, 2010
Gentle Taz wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember those days only too well! I was unemployed for over a year, if you want to call delivering newspapers employment! However, it did put food on the table. Just pray that the car didn't die! When I did my income tax for that year, about half of my gross income was deductible for the miles I drove (44k)!!
Those were tough times weren't they? I was fortunate in that I stayed employed through it all but usually on 30-32 hour weeks.

“You're gonna make it after all”

Since: May 09

Waldo, WI

#9 Jun 25, 2010
Does anybody know where the 'exodous' numbers stand? I'm curious because I can't remember so many people I knew leaving a state before.

“Hooray for summer!”

Somewhere up north

#10 Jun 25, 2010
alashieve wrote:
Strong women, the very fact that we have a 12 percent jobless rate shows what kind of failure Mrs. Granholm is and it just drop to 12 percent! That is horrible. I am over 40 and Granholm has done more harm to this state than any other governor in our state's history.
Still-seems a misguided venue to express that. This article is talking about how she is fixing things.

Detroit, MI

#11 Jun 25, 2010
Granholm has fixed nothing in this state. She is a big government loving stooge who has hurt our state worse than any other governor in our states' history.

“Dude, Where's my car?”

Location hidden

#12 Jun 25, 2010
strong woman wrote:
<quoted text>
Still-seems a misguided venue to express that. This article is talking about how she is fixing things.
Not to be argumentative Strong Woman but what do you think that Granholm has done in her 8 years as governor that has been a positive for the State?

“You're gonna make it after all”

Since: May 09

Waldo, WI

#13 Jun 25, 2010
strong woman wrote:
<quoted text>
Assuming you are correct. Can you please site an example of what it is she has done to fix the unemployement rate?

“Hooray for summer!”

Somewhere up north

#14 Jun 25, 2010
alashieve wrote:
Granholm has fixed nothing in this state. She is a big government loving stooge who has hurt our state worse than any other governor in our states' history.
I understand your sentiments. However, now that I have acknowledged that, can you answer my questions rather than restating yourself...

Why did you choose an article about how she is HELPING the jobless situation to get on an anti-Granholm soapbox? I am confused by your venue (not your platform).

Your first post-("blowing us away") in conjunction with the article's core (the jobless rate improving) seems to initially read that you support Granholm. I understand you don't-but why choose this article to express that?

“Hooray for summer!”

Somewhere up north

#15 Jun 25, 2010
Hurley35 wrote:
<quoted text>Not to be argumentative Strong Woman but what do you think that Granholm has done in her 8 years as governor that has been a positive for the State?
Absolutely nothing. She has (frankly) governed like a republican (too scared to raise necessary taxes, therefore raping the schools) tried to put band-aid fixes on things and all that crap.

I am VERY unimpressed with Jenny. She has in no way done the job we elected her to do. She hasn't had the cajones to stand up to the Republican Senate. She has been an ineffective leader.

My only beef with this thread is that it talks about Michigan getting better under her leadership (as, she is the leader) and the jobless rate going down is a measurable improvment in the state. And the first post in someone talking about how she is "blowing us away". At least choose an article that clearly illustrates your point if you are going to start a thread to complain about the Gov. I like clear facts. Not mixed messages.

“Hooray for summer!”

Somewhere up north

#16 Jun 25, 2010
Businessminded_plus4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Assuming you are correct. Can you please site an example of what it is she has done to fix the unemployement rate?
See my post to Hurley.

“Dude, Where's my car?”

Location hidden

#17 Jun 25, 2010
strong woman wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely nothing. She has (frankly) governed like a republican (too scared to raise necessary taxes, therefore raping the schools) tried to put band-aid fixes on things and all that crap.
I am VERY unimpressed with Jenny. She has in no way done the job we elected her to do. She hasn't had the cajones to stand up to the Republican Senate. She has been an ineffective leader.
My only beef with this thread is that it talks about Michigan getting better under her leadership (as, she is the leader) and the jobless rate going down is a measurable improvment in the state. And the first post in someone talking about how she is "blowing us away". At least choose an article that clearly illustrates your point if you are going to start a thread to complain about the Gov. I like clear facts. Not mixed messages.
Well I think you know that I don't buy into sound bytes like "blown away". But we do agree that Granholm has done nothing of benefit to this State. And if I want to be fair I have to say that the Proposal "A" or the Headlee Amendment (which I personally voted against) has done much harm to how we fund things in this State. Not to mention that there isn't much any Governor of any Party could do to reverse the de-industrialization of the State. Those decisions were made at the Federal Level.
Freedom

United States

#18 Jun 25, 2010
Remember that we have 38 Michigan Senators that the Republicans are the majority. She can only sign what they give her. I wonder why she acts like a Republican??????

“Hooray for summer!”

Somewhere up north

#19 Jun 25, 2010
Hurley35 wrote:
<quoted text>Well I think you know that I don't buy into sound bytes like "blown away". But we do agree that Granholm has done nothing of benefit to this State. And if I want to be fair I have to say that the Proposal "A" or the Headlee Amendment (which I personally voted against) has done much harm to how we fund things in this State. Not to mention that there isn't much any Governor of any Party could do to reverse the de-industrialization of the State. Those decisions were made at the Federal Level.
I hear you. There have been too many quick fixes...hopefully things will change for the better come November. Until then, I am holding tight, hoping they don't cut education any more.

“Hooray for summer!”

Somewhere up north

#20 Jun 25, 2010
Freedom wrote:
Remember that we have 38 Michigan Senators that the Republicans are the majority. She can only sign what they give her. I wonder why she acts like a Republican??????
So Veto things that hurt the working class in the state. Stand up to them. She has more power than she has used. Not to be an advocate for abuse of power, but she has not come through for those who put her in office.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 17
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Haven Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Beautiful Grand Haven Lighthouse. (Aug '08) Dec 14 Go Blue Forever 13
Holland Museum opens exhibit of Nazi propaganda... (Apr '14) Dec 13 for sure 22
What happened to Joellen Coon? (Apr '13) Nov 23 dave 19
Grand Haven doesnt like black people (Oct '12) Nov 23 Whitechick 27
Holland man found sleeping in Mason County hote... Oct '14 disco stu 2
Grand Rapids man robbed at Nunica Rest Stop (Jan '09) Sep '14 Batch 37 Pain Is ... 7
Man came to door wanting me to vote Sep '14 backdrop001 1
Grand Haven Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Grand Haven People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Grand Haven News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Grand Haven

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:00 am PST