Woman arrested for false bomb report ...

Woman arrested for false bomb report in Casnovia

There are 28 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from Sep 27, 2007, titled Woman arrested for false bomb report in Casnovia. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

GRAND HAVEN - Michgan State Police arrested Nancy L. Kalkman of Casnovia in connection with a false police report regarding a bomb in Casnovia on July 18th.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Redbaron

Grand Rapids, MI

#1 Sep 27, 2007
Sounds expensive, must be a crack baby...............
Kim

Riverside, CA

#2 Sep 27, 2007
What the hell was she thinking ? Does she need that much attention ? Fine her to the fullest capacity.

Since: Jun 07

United States

#3 Sep 27, 2007
I'm with Kim, how stupid!! I hope after her sentance she is also fined by the city for wasting the tax payers dollars. She ought to be ashamed of herself.
Joe

Holland, MI

#4 Sep 27, 2007
It's about time! I hope they throw the book at her! With the budget crisis that this state is facing She should be required to pay back EVERY single dime spent on her prime-time drama!
Not to mention the nightmare she put an entire town through!! Community service to go along with those fines should begin to repay her debt. Imagine if there had been a REAL bomb somewhere....
PERSON

Rockford, MI

#5 Sep 27, 2007
It wasnt just the casnovia fire department that responded. Kent City responded as well. They were on duty the whole night too.
Melissa

Bradenton, FL

#6 Sep 27, 2007
This lady is crazy for doing this this is omething you dont joke around about this lady has some real problems.
Bill

AOL

#7 Sep 27, 2007
Redbaron wrote:
Sounds expensive, must be a crack baby..........
get a life. you dont know anything about this woman or what she is going through!!
steve

AOL

#8 Sep 27, 2007
Kim wrote:
What the hell was she thinking ? Does she need that much attention ? Fine her to the fullest capacity.
or maybe she needed as much attention as the person who made those intellegent remarks.
June

Battle Creek, MI

#9 Sep 27, 2007
Ya'll are stupid. Get a life and quit acting like a bunch of whiny-a** babies.

Make a comment that counts or don't bother wasting your time.

Losers.

Since: Jul 07

Grandville, MI

#10 Sep 27, 2007
June wrote:
Ya'll are stupid. Get a life and quit acting like a bunch of whiny-a** babies.
Make a comment that counts or don't bother wasting your time.
Losers.
This person needs to made accountable for the time & money wasted & being just plain ignorent. If you don't like what people have to say then move along
god bless you all

Granbury, TX

#11 Sep 27, 2007
outdoors lover wrote:
<quoted text>
This person needs to made accountable for the time & money wasted & being just plain ignorent. If you don't like what people have to say then move along
she need to move along.must be some one that she know ?if you dont like what you see then go away
Judge not

United States

#12 Sep 27, 2007
Shame on those of you who would judge a woman they don't know anything about.
Reality Check

Littleton, CO

#13 Sep 27, 2007
Here's another slant on the story (from a news article in July 2007):

CASNOVIA -- A call to 911 about a suspicious device that turned out to be an alarm clock caused quite the stir in a West Michigan village.

Kyle Kalkman, 17, is challenging his father's guardianship and trying to move out of their house in Casnovia. The official notice was sent to his parents on Tuesday.

Then on Wednesday, the teen's stepmom, Nancy Kalkman, was cleaning his bedroom in preparation of the move and found the suspicious clock, complete with minute and second hands attached to a PVC pipe.

"I was packing the stuff up that we found in his room, and I bagged all this up, and I showed it to my husband, and he said,'You better call on that, I don't know what that is,'" Nancy Kalkman told 24 Hour News 8.

So she put the device in her car and drove two miles to the home where her stepson could soon be living.

"We went up to his room to find...to have these people understand what they're taking on if they want this boy to live with them," Kalkman said.

After returning home, Kalkman says she showed the device again to the boy's father who, she says, had never seen it.

That is when she put the device back in her car and called police. A bomb squad was called to the scene, 40 people were evacuated from the area and the device was destroyed.

24 Hour News 8 received an e-mail Thursday from Kyle's stepfather, Al Baumgart, who says he made the novelty clock 10 years ago and gave it to his stepson as a Christmas gift. Nancy Kalkman says that is simply not true.

"We've never seen it and where we found it with the other things that we found. It's understandable anybody that knows the history...is going to understand," Kalkman says.

She declined to elaborate about the other items found in her stepson's room.

State Police say no charges will be brought against the owner of the clock, but the investigation is still open.
justice is served

Holland, MI

#14 Sep 27, 2007
She's getting what she deserves! The toy had been in 'her' home for 10 years. C'mon if she REALLY thought it was a bomb, would she put it INSIDE her car and DRIVE several miles with it??????

QUOTE "We went up to his room to find...to have these people understand what they're taking on if they want this boy to live with them," Kalkman said." End QUOTE (see the comment above)

Then put the 'bomb' back INSIDE her car and drive back to HER HOME with it???? C'mon! If she really thought it was an actual bomb..... would any sane person do that????? If she really did think it was a bomb then she should also be charged with terrorism to the town she forced to evacuate!

Sounds to me like the evil stepmom was looking for some revenge on her stepson. Obviously there were problems if the kid was challenging guardianship. And if emancipation was granted then a judge ALSO felt the kid was better off without these wacky parents.

Speaking of parents..what the heck was the dad thinking to allow this to happen??? Wonderful role models.

best wishes to the kid!

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

#15 Sep 27, 2007
For the people who have decided only their opinions count and everyone else is either stupid or loosers.... this is for you....

I'm so glad I saved this to my computer......

~We interrupt your regularly scheduled programming and discussion for the following service announement~

To those who don't know, this is a NEWS TOPIX forum site. This is also a free speech area as long as it stays within the TOS agreement of TOPIX. Therefore, other people have the right to free speech to post their thoughts and opinions here, just like you. If you don't agree with them, too bad. They have the right to free speech just as you do. There have been other threads where bodily harm has been threatened because of a decending opinion. You like to exercise your free speech, just like everyone else. And as long as this is still a free country, we all have that right, whether we agree with you or not. Isn't free speech grand?

~ now back to your regularly scheduled programming ~

“I think I am an All Right Girl”

Since: Aug 07

Grand Rapids

#16 Sep 28, 2007
Love it love it!! LMAO you go neecer!
neecer wrote:
For the people who have decided only their opinions count and everyone else is either stupid or loosers.... this is for you....
I'm so glad I saved this to my computer......
~We interrupt your regularly scheduled programming and discussion for the following service announement~
To those who don't know, this is a NEWS TOPIX forum site. This is also a free speech area as long as it stays within the TOS agreement of TOPIX. Therefore, other people have the right to free speech to post their thoughts and opinions here, just like you. If you don't agree with them, too bad. They have the right to free speech just as you do. There have been other threads where bodily harm has been threatened because of a decending opinion. You like to exercise your free speech, just like everyone else. And as long as this is still a free country, we all have that right, whether we agree with you or not. Isn't free speech grand?
~ now back to your regularly scheduled programming ~

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

#20 Sep 28, 2007
"Kalkman turned herself into State Police Officials and was arraigned in 60th District Court. A Pre-Trial exam is scheduled for October 19, 2007."

If she turned herself in, there was a warrant for her arrest.

Next time try and say it without the cussing. You will find more people are willing to read what you have to say. Oh, and as I stated above, we have just as much right to our opinion and posting our thoughts here as you do. Isn't free speech grand?
Sam

Muskegon, MI

#23 Sep 28, 2007
AMEN!!
Angie wrote:
<quoted text>
What's SAFTY? Am I missing something?
By the way, perhaps, a nice eloquent well written response would make me-or anyone-rethink the "this woman's crazy" ideas that pop into our heads when reading something like this. Using the F bomb doesn't even make me second guess...not only is this woman crazy, but apparently so are those that surround her. No wonder the 17 year old is "deeply disturbed" as you put it.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#24 Sep 28, 2007
Sounds like this vindictive nutjob was trying to get her 17-year old step-son in trouble. I don't think it's a coincidence the court processed the boy's petition to be moved out of that house just the day before. No wonder he wanted out.
friend of family

AOL

#25 Oct 2, 2007
this is crap that the news makes mrs. k look like an idiot and no she had no idea that it was a toy

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Haven Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Senate-passed Detroit School plan 'farce,' 'cow... Jun 11 bozo 1
News Ottawa County Church Engulfed in Flames HOLLAND... May '16 District 1 1
News Christine Workman's mug shot from the Muskegon ... Apr '16 WhoDat 1
News These Lake Michigan beaches are getting more sa... Apr '16 next 1
Michigan Sex Offenders Release (Jun '09) Jan '16 aurelius 25
News Feds: Woman stuffed $1.9 million in purse over ... (Dec '15) Jan '16 Ray 3
Jessica Heeringa (Aug '13) Dec '15 redrum 13

Grand Haven Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance