Rain, wind, ice are weather concerns

Rain, wind, ice are weather concerns

There are 25 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Feb 11, 2009, titled Rain, wind, ice are weather concerns. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

Storm Team 8 Meteorologist Terri DeBoer spoke with National Weather Service Hydrologist Mark Walton.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Dec 08

Hialeah, FL

#1 Feb 11, 2009
I think wind damage could be a problem later. I am sure the Thornapple River will be causing some problems for people. Storms like this, you never know what will happen.

“Infinitely Interesting”

Since: Jan 09

Kalamazoo, MI

#2 Feb 11, 2009
That's cool. I can understand how it works, but that is very interesting to me. I have never heard of such a thing before. I hope everyone remains okay.
JohnBoy

Grand Rapids, MI

#3 Feb 11, 2009
I don't understand. Why not just set up a crane w/ a large heavy "I"beam on the cable over a bridge to smash the ice. At the very least it would get one person back to work.
Pet Owner

Holland, MI

#4 Feb 11, 2009
TNT will take care of it
Herb

Waterford, MI

#5 Feb 11, 2009
I think they should take the railroad and run it under the river through a tunnel, and take the drawbridge out and raise the bridge level about 20 feet. Of course you could run the highway through a tunnel too.
River Rat

United States

#6 Feb 11, 2009
I thought the reason they didn't go east of the railroad bridge was that there wasn't enough room for the cutter to go between the stationery parts of the railroad bridge and the turning portion.

Yet WOOD's haphazard reporting says it was due to debris? It's a friggin ice breaker not a paper boat!
Whitecaps

Holland, MI

#7 Feb 11, 2009
Please pray for my sheep in harms way!!!
The Rogue Jew

Cincinnati, OH

#8 Feb 11, 2009
Never fear, the Moonbat Messiah Obama will walk across the water and save us all from the floods (Sarc)

Since: Oct 08

United States

#9 Feb 11, 2009
Larry of Hastings wrote:
I think wind damage could be a problem later. I am sure the Thornapple River will be causing some problems for people. Storms like this, you never know what will happen.
I have drove down Thornapple Rd. in the spring after the snow has melted, it is unreal how much flooding there is! I can't imagine how much damage is done to homes each year w/ flooding.
right

Holland, MI

#10 Feb 11, 2009
Some kind of global warming we are having, huh? Al gore should be striped of his Nobby Pieces Prize!
Whitecaps

Holland, MI

#11 Feb 11, 2009
God, save the sheep! We are all floating on the Grand River on an iceberg!!
GR Independent

Southfield, MI

#12 Feb 11, 2009
Hi Ze'ev!
Bryan

Broomfield, CO

#13 Feb 11, 2009
Perhaps Obama can add "Clearing of the Grand River ice jam in GH" to the stimulus package. I think around $50 Billion should do the job.:)

Back in December I got to watch my neighbor use a bulldozer to build a dam around his house to protect it from the river water. It amazed me how fast the water came up! I have the 3rd house up from the river, and I am uphill, so I am ok.
Cassie

Hudsonville, MI

#14 Feb 11, 2009
It amazes me how Obamas name is being brought into and article about a river flooding. Why not stay on the subject and discuss how people might be losing their homes and everything in them. Obama is already doing more than what Bush did in his time in the white house
idono

Holland, MI

#15 Feb 11, 2009
The USS ice breaker should be the next "the little engine that could" Toot-Toot.
GR Independent

Southfield, MI

#16 Feb 11, 2009
Cassie wrote:
It amazes me how Obamas name is being brought into and article about a river flooding.
Ignore internet trolls in general, and this one in particular. The foolish pudding of a man who calls himself "The Rogue Jew" has quite a presence on the web as a hate-monger. Google his user name, if you want to spend an entertaining half hour or so seeing the kind of paranoid, nutball idiocy that exists in the wilds of the web.

Union All The Way

“So what!!”

Since: Apr 08

Lakeview, Mi.

#17 Feb 11, 2009
Debore in pre climax...hohum.
Gibson

Grand Rapids, MI

#18 Feb 11, 2009
Is the 'Ice Jam' Grand Haven's version of the Roth berry Festival?
idunno

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#19 Feb 11, 2009
Pet Owner wrote:
TNT will take care of it
BLOW IT UP i don't know WHY they SCARED too??????????

“O__o ?”

Since: May 08

Grandville

#20 Feb 11, 2009
"Rain, wind, ice are weather concerns."

Really? Welcome to Michigan!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Haven Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Grand Haven man bound over in election forgery ... Aug '16 Go Blue Forever 1
News Senate-passed Detroit School plan 'farce,' 'cow... Jun '16 bozo 1
News Ottawa County Church Engulfed in Flames HOLLAND... May '16 District 1 1
News Christine Workman's mug shot from the Muskegon ... Apr '16 WhoDat 1
News These Lake Michigan beaches are getting more sa... Apr '16 next 1
Michigan Sex Offenders Release (Jun '09) Jan '16 aurelius 25
News Feds: Woman stuffed $1.9 million in purse over ... (Dec '15) Jan '16 Ray 3

Grand Haven Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Haven Mortgages