PETA wants lighthouses to shine light on fish feelings

Jun 8, 2009 Full story: www.freep.com 84

As Lake Michigan ports go, Grand Haven is an angler's paradise. If People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals gets its way, it also will be home to a lighthouse café -- serving faux fish sticks -- where patrons learn about the evils of fishing.

PETA said in a letter to the National Park Service this week that it wants to take over Grand Haven's historic twin red lighthouses once they go on a list of surplus properties this year or next. Because PETA is a nonprofit, its bid to maintain the lighthouses could be considered.

The way the animal rights group sees it, Grand Haven would be a perfect place to drum up compassion for fish. To do so, it would point to research it says suggests that fish have feelings, too, rubbing against each other to show affection, developing individual personalities, even learning to grieve.

Kids younger than 12 who visit would get a plush fish toy that says, "Fish are Friends, Not Food!"

Some locals don't want their pier to become the headquarters for the proposed Fish Empathy Project.

"It's nonsense," said Capt. Jim Bard of It-Il-Do Charters. "The whole entire lake revolves around the sportfishing industry."

Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Go Blue

West Palm Beach, FL

#85 Sep 6, 2010
1 ex-kiwi wrote:
<quoted text>
you crack me up bro lol.
You little dickens, how in hell, did you find me here?

“We dont ned no edukasion!!!!”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#86 Sep 6, 2010
Bored wrote:
<quoted text>After 1000 posts is that as good as it gets maybe you need to get a life
its ok i know that person from another forum.lol
ROFLMFAO

Paragould, AR

#87 Oct 24, 2010
the perfessor wrote:
<quoted text>To teach children not to be cruel to animals is one thing, but to teach them that a fish is a friend and not food is going against what I interpret Christianity and the teachings of the Bible to be.
You think that the religion of Christianity mandates that children not be taught to look at fish as friends (but as food)?

Don't go trimming your beard either.

You don't pick and choose do you?
ROFLMFAO

Paragould, AR

#88 Oct 24, 2010
And of course eating shellfish is an abomination according to Christianity, per specific Bible mandates, so PETA should be able to skip the Lobsters Feel Pain campaign when dealing with Christians.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Haven Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MI Who do you support for Secretary of State in Mi... (Oct '10) 10 hr JAH 170
MI Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in M... (Oct '10) 11 hr gamy 97
MI Who do you support for Attorney General in Mich... (Oct '10) Sun Eldorado 129
Grand Rapids man robbed at Nunica Rest Stop (Jan '09) Sep 19 Batch 37 Pain Is ... 7
Man came to door wanting me to vote Sep 18 backdrop001 1
Jessica Heeringa (Aug '13) Sep 11 Prayers for Jessica 11
Debate: Gay Marriage - Grand Haven, MI (Jan '12) Sep 10 Sneaky Pete 17
•••
•••
•••

Grand Haven Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Grand Haven People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE