PETA wants lighthouses to shine light...

PETA wants lighthouses to shine light on fish feelings

There are 84 comments on the www.freep.com story from Jun 8, 2009, titled PETA wants lighthouses to shine light on fish feelings. In it, www.freep.com reports that:

As Lake Michigan ports go, Grand Haven is an angler's paradise. If People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals gets its way, it also will be home to a lighthouse café -- serving faux fish sticks -- where patrons learn about the evils of fishing.

PETA said in a letter to the National Park Service this week that it wants to take over Grand Haven's historic twin red lighthouses once they go on a list of surplus properties this year or next. Because PETA is a nonprofit, its bid to maintain the lighthouses could be considered.

The way the animal rights group sees it, Grand Haven would be a perfect place to drum up compassion for fish. To do so, it would point to research it says suggests that fish have feelings, too, rubbing against each other to show affection, developing individual personalities, even learning to grieve.

Kids younger than 12 who visit would get a plush fish toy that says, "Fish are Friends, Not Food!"

Some locals don't want their pier to become the headquarters for the proposed Fish Empathy Project.

"It's nonsense," said Capt. Jim Bard of It-Il-Do Charters. "The whole entire lake revolves around the sportfishing industry."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.freep.com.

Belasrius

Since: Dec 09

United States

#64 Aug 29, 2010
scout wrote:
Scratch a PETA and uncover a Marxist.
Bullshit. Go away neo-con. There's communists out to get you elsewhere but here.

“Let's talk to each other:”

Since: Apr 10

NOT about each other!

#65 Aug 29, 2010
laughingiris wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually they do! Only they don't realize it. No, the deaths they met out are slow and agonizing. Too many animals = starvation.
Oh, yes, they realize it. PETA has been known to go to someones farm where game cocks are being raised, and kill the cocks with no thoughts of rescuing them. They've done the same to pit bull owners just from hearing a rumor that the pits were trained to fight. They'll kill the dogs with no attempt of rescue. And then they will boast about "humanely euthanizing " the animals. That's why I say they are aware of their killing, and for pleasure. PETA is the lowest form of animal abuse on Earth.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#67 Aug 29, 2010
the perfessor wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, yes, they realize it. PETA has been known to go to someones farm where game cocks are being raised, and kill the cocks with no thoughts of rescuing them. They've done the same to pit bull owners just from hearing a rumor that the pits were trained to fight. They'll kill the dogs with no attempt of rescue. And then they will boast about "humanely euthanizing " the animals. That's why I say they are aware of their killing, and for pleasure. PETA is the lowest form of animal abuse on Earth.
Makes you wonder what they do in regards to genetic testing and having babies??
Rambeaux

Philadelphia, PA

#68 Aug 29, 2010
It's quite a stretch from whales and dolphins to tuna and salmon. I think PETA has finally gone off the deep end. Unbelievable!
Anne

Fitchburg, MA

#69 Aug 29, 2010
People aren't taking this project seriously enough. I heard a story on the news, about how teens (14 yr olds) were dousing house cats in gasoline for "entertainment". I think if we teach our kids early that animals are good,and neeeded to keep up our eco system, they will be more loving to the world. Sure, they use it for fishing, but as the old saying goes THERE ARE PLENTY OF FISH IN THE SEA!!! An educational lighthouse, not so many. And anyhow, the historic lighthouse will be preserved, and thats a plus.

Since: Jun 09

Scrotum, Idaho

#70 Aug 29, 2010
Anne wrote:
I heard a story on the news, about how teens (14 yr olds) were dousing house cats in gasoline for "entertainment".
This story has been going around for a long time - and it may be true.

When I was a kid, a guy I knew cut the tails off of puppies with a hatchet for fun.

There are sick people everywhere.

And the guy I knew? He blew his head off with a shotgun at about age 20.

He hasn't been missed.

“Let's talk to each other:”

Since: Apr 10

NOT about each other!

#71 Aug 29, 2010
Anne wrote:
People aren't taking this project seriously enough. I heard a story on the news, about how teens (14 yr olds) were dousing house cats in gasoline for "entertainment". I think if we teach our kids early that animals are good,and neeeded to keep up our eco system, they will be more loving to the world. Sure, they use it for fishing, but as the old saying goes THERE ARE PLENTY OF FISH IN THE SEA!!! An educational lighthouse, not so many. And anyhow, the historic lighthouse will be preserved, and thats a plus.
To teach children not to be cruel to animals is one thing, but to teach them that a fish is a friend and not food is going against what I interpret Christianity and the teachings of the Bible to be.

Location hidden

#72 Aug 29, 2010
Anne wrote:
No offense intended, but people ARE taking this seriously. That is why there have been so many posts that, frankly, express a disdain for PETA.
This is NOT about animal abuse.(Although PETA will assure you that all the fish are called Nemo). If PETA really thought about it. Which I'm sure they have...not only meat and eggs should be outlawed-but, nuts, fruits, berries, and ANY food should be outlawed. When you eat that salad-you have eaten something alive. You have eaten those future Veggie Tale tomato, cucumber, etc. You have KILLED a present/future life.

Has anyone else watched The Twelve Monkeys? Yes, I realize it is a movie, but that is where PETA dwells. They dwell in this idealistic world where we eat nothing and exist or we cease to exist. Like each organization, there are different levels of commitment-PETA contains very radical terrorists (sorry, that is what they are) who will kill humans to further their ideals. Google "Guardian Angels" in regards to animals-research some more-then read (really read) the agendas of PETA.

As for the Lighthouse-of course Preservation is a bonus. How do you think the past Lighthouse Keepers would feel knowing the very people they protected (fishermen) are being maligned and twisted to "educate" our youth?
Go Blue

Lake Worth, FL

#73 Aug 29, 2010
If you giva a man a fish, he has a meal for a day,,,,if you teach a man to fish, he has an aquarium,,,,,

Location hidden

#74 Aug 29, 2010
Go Blue wrote:
If you giva a man a fish, he has a meal for a day,,,,if you teach a man to fish, he has an aquarium,,,,,
lol

As I happily type to the chirps of crickets coming from my youngest son's room. The beautiful sound will dim and grow quite in a few days then it's off to the bait shop again.

Russian Tortoise, Red-earred slider turtle, numerous frogs/toads/salamanders...it's that Pac-Man Toad "thing" that freaks me out though. Go in to clean the room and I swear the thing says "Feed Me Seymore"!

So, am I horrible because I have a mini amphibian zoo? or am I horrible because I feed them what they eat? Perhaps I'm horrible because I live in a dwelling which occupies a previous natural habitate and drive a car to work which supports oil companies which kill fish....lol

Sorry-you had a gread two-liner and I went off on a nut. Going to bed soon so I'll go away. Just as soon as those crickets quite down.
LMAO

Wartburg, TN

#75 Aug 29, 2010
If PETA had their way we would be over run with the animals they save. Maybe one of the PETA morons will get eaten by one of their precious animals then we can all laugh our ass off

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#76 Aug 30, 2010
PETA is animal Muslims.
Rambeaux

Jim Thorpe, PA

#77 Aug 30, 2010
Sharks love to eat PETA people.
spam

Indianapolis, IN

#78 Aug 30, 2010
scout wrote:
Scratch a PETA and uncover a Marxist.
I hate it when someone scratches a PETA.
PETA MEMBER

United States

#79 Aug 30, 2010
laughingiris wrote:
<quoted text>
No offense intended, but people ARE taking this seriously. That is why there have been so many posts that, frankly, express a disdain for PETA.
Okay, lets have a serious conversation.
laughingiris wrote:
<quoted text>
If PETA really thought about it. Which I'm sure they have...not only meat and eggs should be outlawed-but, nuts, fruits, berries, and ANY food should be outlawed. When you eat that salad-you have eaten something alive. You have eaten those future Veggie Tale tomato, cucumber, etc. You have KILLED a present/future life.
I thought you was gonna have a serious conversation?

First of all, I don't think we should make eating eggs and meat a crime.

Secondly, eating nuts, fruits and berries is not equivalent to eating a cow.

Yes, a cow and a nut are "alive" in the broadest sense, but they aren't both alive in the relevant sense of being conscious, feeling pain, etc.

And, getting back to your serious conversation, your vegetables turn into Veggie Tale characters?
fried chicken

Provo, UT

#80 Aug 30, 2010
Peta is for mental patients who don't take their medication
Go Blue

Lake Worth, FL

#81 Aug 30, 2010
I feel, as a payback from the animal community, PETA members should be buried, in fur coats,,,,,,

1 ex-kiwi

“We dont ned no edukasion!!!!”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#82 Sep 6, 2010
Go Blue wrote:
I feel, as a payback from the animal community, PETA members should be buried, in fur coats,,,,,,
you crack me up bro lol.
Bored

Tadley, UK

#83 Sep 6, 2010
1 ex-kiwi wrote:
<quoted text>
you crack me up bro lol.
After 1000 posts is that as good as it gets maybe you need to get a life
Joey

United States

#84 Sep 6, 2010
I feel so sorry for the petta members, its labor day, wonder what they bbq. We didn't bbq today, went to bonanza had fish and chichen. ummmmmmm good.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Haven Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Grand Haven doesnt like black people (Oct '12) Jul '17 AssAssassin 33
News Teacher turnover, 'chronic' absenteeism prevale... May '17 Rick 1
News Jessica Heeringa found: This guy started the rumor (Jun '13) Apr '17 A friend 5
Scagel place Mar '17 Auld Skool 1
News BH Leaders Call For Action To Save Local Schools (Jan '17) Jan '17 marvinlzinn 1
News Park Twp. Man Sentenced in Drive-By Shooting (Nov '16) Nov '16 Go Blue Forever 1
News Wallet Snatchers in Downtown Holland SoughtHOLL... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Go Blue Forever 2

Grand Haven Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Haven Mortgages