PETA wants lighthouses to shine light...

PETA wants lighthouses to shine light on fish feelings

There are 84 comments on the www.freep.com story from Jun 8, 2009, titled PETA wants lighthouses to shine light on fish feelings. In it, www.freep.com reports that:

As Lake Michigan ports go, Grand Haven is an angler's paradise. If People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals gets its way, it also will be home to a lighthouse café -- serving faux fish sticks -- where patrons learn about the evils of fishing.

PETA said in a letter to the National Park Service this week that it wants to take over Grand Haven's historic twin red lighthouses once they go on a list of surplus properties this year or next. Because PETA is a nonprofit, its bid to maintain the lighthouses could be considered.

The way the animal rights group sees it, Grand Haven would be a perfect place to drum up compassion for fish. To do so, it would point to research it says suggests that fish have feelings, too, rubbing against each other to show affection, developing individual personalities, even learning to grieve.

Kids younger than 12 who visit would get a plush fish toy that says, "Fish are Friends, Not Food!"

Some locals don't want their pier to become the headquarters for the proposed Fish Empathy Project.

"It's nonsense," said Capt. Jim Bard of It-Il-Do Charters. "The whole entire lake revolves around the sportfishing industry."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.freep.com.

UAAF

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#22 Aug 23, 2010
meat lover wrote:
i like fried chicken
Come up with something new.

“Let's talk to each other:”

Since: Apr 10

NOT about each other!

#23 Aug 23, 2010
I like salmon patties made from home-canned salmon. Much better than commercially canned salmon. Also like patties made with canned blue gill. Fantastic eating.
Go Blue

Lake Worth, FL

#24 Aug 28, 2010
PETA is just pissed that Cobbs closed in Grand Haven, no more succulent fried smelt or perch,,,,,,we all miss Cobbs,,,,
Chris

United States

#25 Aug 28, 2010
Really, God said there is no (unclean meat) so eat. That is what God intended for us to do. We have prople that has lots of loose screws. PETA.

UAAF

Location hidden

#26 Aug 28, 2010
Chris wrote:
Really, God said there is no (unclean meat) so eat. That is what God intended for us to do. We have prople that has lots of loose screws. PETA.
God also give us free will, he wanted us to make choices, so people dont have to eat meat. Also, meat is nasty, sure what about the antibiotics thats in it, all them chemicals, thats sick.
Joey in Arkansas

United States

#27 Aug 28, 2010
Vegan_Craig wrote:
<quoted text> God also give us free will, he wanted us to make choices, so people dont have to eat meat. Also, meat is nasty, sure what about the antibiotics thats in it, all them chemicals, thats sick.
I have been eating meat for 71 yrs, ain't dead yet in fact in good shape, I go for a mile walk every day. Is that is a surprise for you?
Go Blue

Lake Worth, FL

#28 Aug 28, 2010
Joey in Arkansas wrote:
<quoted text> I have been eating meat for 71 yrs, ain't dead yet in fact in good shape, I go for a mile walk every day. Is that is a surprise for you?
You and me both, Joey,,,, a nice sirloin and a charcoal grill,,,,,that's whats for dinner,,,

UAAF

Location hidden

#29 Aug 28, 2010
Joey in Arkansas wrote:
<quoted text> I have been eating meat for 71 yrs, ain't dead yet in fact in good shape, I go for a mile walk every day. Is that is a surprise for you?
Not really, usually most meat eaters get some kind of disease or die early or become unhealthy, i guess you're just one of the lucky ones.
Chris

United States

#30 Aug 28, 2010
Vegan_Craig wrote:
<quoted text> Not really, usually most meat eaters get some kind of disease or die early or become unhealthy, i guess you're just one of the lucky ones.
No, you need so much red meat to make you healthy. Vegetables are good for you, you also need fruit, some bread, milk, it takes all this to make you healthy.

UAAF

Location hidden

#31 Aug 28, 2010
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>No, you need so much red meat to make you healthy. Vegetables are good for you, you also need fruit, some bread, milk, it takes all this to make you healthy.
How can something that has chemicals in it be healthy? You dont need meat to be healthy.

UAAF

Location hidden

#32 Aug 28, 2010
Vegetarian in Paragould

United States

#33 Aug 28, 2010
I am a vegetarian in Paragould, Arkanas.
Me too

United States

#34 Aug 28, 2010
Me too!
Go Blue

Lake Worth, FL

#35 Aug 28, 2010
Well, sorry about that, but maybe you can still make something outta your life,,,,,,,

UAAF

Location hidden

#36 Aug 28, 2010
Go Blue wrote:
Well, sorry about that, but maybe you can still make something outta your life,,,,,,,
Who said they havent? Just cause they aint a corpse munching sick piece of sh*t doesnt mean they havent made something out of their life.

UAAF

Location hidden

#37 Aug 28, 2010

UAAF

Location hidden

#38 Aug 28, 2010

“Let's talk to each other:”

Since: Apr 10

NOT about each other!

#39 Aug 28, 2010
Vegan_Craig wrote:
<quoted text> How can something that has chemicals in it be healthy? You dont need meat to be healthy.
The same way breathing can be healthy. Do you realize the air you breathe is loaded with chemicals? Or do you stay in a controlled environment that has all impurities cleaned from the air you breathe? You need a better question than that for any justification value.

UAAF

Location hidden

#40 Aug 28, 2010
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>No, you need so much red meat to make you healthy. Vegetables are good for you, you also need fruit, some bread, milk, it takes all this to make you healthy.
Wrong. Red meat is very unhealthy

www.living-a-healthy-lifestyle.com/dangers-of...

UAAF

Location hidden

#41 Aug 28, 2010
the perfessor wrote:
<quoted text>The same way breathing can be healthy. Do you realize the air you breathe is loaded with chemicals? Or do you stay in a controlled environment that has all impurities cleaned from the air you breathe? You need a better question than that for any justification value.
But the chemicals in meat can do way more damage to the human body than the chemicals we breath in.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Haven Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What happened to Joellen Coon? (Apr '13) Aug 28 Karma 19
Grand Haven doesnt like black people (Oct '12) Jul '17 AssAssassin 33
News Teacher turnover, 'chronic' absenteeism prevale... May '17 Rick 1
News Jessica Heeringa found: This guy started the rumor (Jun '13) Apr '17 A friend 5
Scagel place (Mar '17) Mar '17 Auld Skool 1
News BH Leaders Call For Action To Save Local Schools (Jan '17) Jan '17 marvinlzinn 1
News Park Twp. Man Sentenced in Drive-By Shooting (Nov '16) Nov '16 Go Blue Forever 1

Grand Haven Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Haven Mortgages