Former Holland cop's murder trial starts

Former Holland cop's murder trial starts

There are 74 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Jul 8, 2008, titled Former Holland cop's murder trial starts. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

Ken DeKleine, the Holland police officer accused of killing his wife, sat at the defendant's table as jury selection began at his trial Tuesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

LHG

United States

#42 Jul 8, 2008
I think he should go to jail for the rest of his life for making his son discover his mom's body. How heartless is he, that he could do that to his son?
tj1e25

United States

#43 Jul 8, 2008
Maxcine wrote:
I DO NOT believe Ken DeKline is guilty for this murder, if one checks out the clues it all revolves back to the Holland Police Dept, who she was having a affair with another police officer and he killed her out of jelious and how the chief of police is covering this up and one of the reasons he is retiring.
ok how can you say that yes it was a shocker that he killed her but he did and everyone knows it just be think og those poor kids who will have neither a mother or father
manny

Zeeland, MI

#44 Jul 8, 2008
Hopefully he'll rot for the rest of his life in the same prison as the scum bags from Allegan who killed Troy Tyo. They can all compare notes on how bad they screwed up and ruined so many lives..especially their kids.
SkpTracr aka doush bager

Granby, CO

#45 Jul 8, 2008
froggy log wrote:
Coming from a cop is very surprising. He must have been nuts or not in the right state of mind to commit a crime such as this. I do feel sorry for him in a way. Because he is going to weep in jail for the rest of his life knowing what he did. I, say let him rot.
"must not have been in the right state of mind"- what murderer is in the right state of mind.
PS- police officers have a higher percentage of people with sociopathic tendencies than most professions.(I am an officer myself- and there's no shame in the truth.) Many of those tendencies are what make good cops good, believe it or not.
I have alot more of a problem with the hero/self- rightous types that seem to be on the rise in law enforcement.
Anybody kills his wife or any other person in this manner deserves the same. If he did this he is a heartless POS, esp. since took a mother from 2 kids.
reality check

Allendale, MI

#46 Jul 8, 2008
i am dying laughing O.J.
Just Me

Allegan, MI

#47 Jul 8, 2008
He committed a horrible act, and deserves to be punished. I am not giving him any excuse for killing his wife, but there's more to this story--and I'm not saying she deserved it either. For the kids sake, I hope that they find peace. While I cannot imagine what they went through, I'm sure it's hard for them to hear people talking about their parents--even their dad.
Bob Barker

Broomfield, CO

#48 Jul 8, 2008
Just Me wrote:
He committed a horrible act, and deserves to be punished. I am not giving him any excuse for killing his wife, but there's more to this story--and I'm not saying she deserved it either. For the kids sake, I hope that they find peace. While I cannot imagine what they went through, I'm sure it's hard for them to hear people talking about their parents--even their dad.
OJ? Or the cop?
Just Me

Allegan, MI

#49 Jul 8, 2008
The cop, since this is what the topic is about.
John M

Rockford, MI

#50 Jul 8, 2008
froggy log wrote:
Coming from a cop is very surprising. He must have been nuts or not in the right state of mind to commit a crime such as this. I do feel sorry for him in a way. Because he is going to weep in jail for the rest of his life knowing what he did. I, say let him rot.
This man sat in the courtroom and from the video on the news when the 16 yr old testified to finding his mom dead in the basement, the accused sat there expressionless, no emotion, no remorse. Not even for his own child that had to expierience the horror of finding your mother dead of unnatural causes. He will not weep, nor will he feel guilt, from the lack of emotion you could see on this mans face, he has no conscience, it is just to bad Michigan does not have the chair waiting for this guy.
pjdutchville

United States

#52 Jul 9, 2008
hollander wrote:
I feel very sorry for the children left behind. Mother gone & father accused of her murder. I don't know how that must feel. How about some compassion for them & other innocent family members? A very terrible tragedy, indeed. Prayers & thoughts to the kids & family. Everyone lost w this situation. Making stupid comments on this post does no one any good.
This murder happened 2 doors down from me. I played softball for years with Ken's brother Keith, who is/was an EMT, and a fine human being. I hadn't seen Keith in quite a few years, until I ran into him downtown one evening this past winter. He and his wife had a whole pack of kids with them, and in the course of our "catching up" conversation, he said "Those are my brother's children. We were at a play tonight. You heard about what happened with Ken, right?" Even after Keith's children had left the nest, he and his wife stepped in immediately to take in the kids. They are doing one HELL of a job in raising them.
If Ken is guilty, justice will take its course, and he should spend the rest of his life in prison. We all are aware of the conviction rate of people accused of murder in Holland, and West Michigan for that matter... I don't know all of the facts, so let the evidence play itself out. But have compassion for kids who will no longer have either one of their parents, if a guilty verdict is returned. Just waking up to that fact each day has got to be horrible enough for them.
jaf1997

Ada, MI

#53 Jul 9, 2008
He confessed to killing her. Why are my tax dollars supporting not only a trial,but having him kick back & relax in prison the rest of his life? Bring back the death penatly already & take him out now, not 25 years down the road.I can hear others saying "but he has feelings & rights too". REALLY? He gave those up when he made his decision to kill.
D-A-P

Detroit, MI

#54 Jul 9, 2008
shes dust wrote:
Poor old bag. She's just "Dust in the Wind"
You are an a_ss H_ole! Stay off this web page if you don't have soomething worth reading.
millicent

Salt Lake City, UT

#55 Jul 9, 2008
jaf1997 wrote:
He confessed to killing her. Why are my tax dollars supporting not only a trial,but having him kick back & relax in prison the rest of his life? Bring back the death penatly already & take him out now, not 25 years down the road.I can hear others saying "but he has feelings & rights too". REALLY? He gave those up when he made his decision to kill.
I agree that Ken gave up all rights when he confessed to the murder of his wife. I have always been a proponent of the death sentence...until now. We were friends with this family. The kids' mother has been taken from them here on earth, let's not take their father too. If he is put to death, they will never have the chance to forgive him. While that seems like an unlikely occurrence, they are both incredible young adults with a lot of maturity. Someday they may need to talk with their dad. For that reason alone, I have made an complete about turn on my stance on the death penalty. We can't just think about what he deserves, but rather what his family needs. Someday, years from now, they may need the chance to talk and maybe forgive him.

“Dude, Where's my car?”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#56 Jul 9, 2008
millicent wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that Ken gave up all rights when he confessed to the murder of his wife. I have always been a proponent of the death sentence...until now. We were friends with this family. The kids' mother has been taken from them here on earth, let's not take their father too. If he is put to death, they will never have the chance to forgive him. While that seems like an unlikely occurrence, they are both incredible young adults with a lot of maturity. Someday they may need to talk with their dad. For that reason alone, I have made an complete about turn on my stance on the death penalty. We can't just think about what he deserves, but rather what his family needs. Someday, years from now, they may need the chance to talk and maybe forgive him.
Very well put. Thank you for that post. I also applaud the poster who mentioned thinking about the Children. I can't even imagine the scenario they are going through right now.

And as long as the Death Penalty issue came up, I have to say that I am againt the Death Penalty in principle. I do not believe that the State and it's citizens should have the blood of any person on their hands. There are simply too many incidences where people who have been convicted and sentenced to death are later cleared and proven innocent. Even having one person put to death wrongly is one too many. Personally, as a citizen, I don't want that blood on my hands.

And now, knowing that I will get bashed for this stance... I would like to address it from a Christian Stand-point as well. Think about WWJD?(I know that's a cliche`) Would he have had the adulteress stoned as Jewish Law required? As a Christian shouldn't the person be allowed to live, irregardless of the crime that he or she committed so that one day they may find Christ and come to forgiveness of their sins and seek Salvation through Christ? By sentencing a person to Death are we seeking justice or revenge?

Okay, stepping back now and letting the bashing begin LOL.
Duh

Grand Rapids, MI

#57 Jul 9, 2008
In The Spot Light wrote:
I believe there is little doubt that Ken DeKleine committed this horrible act of murder, however, it will still be unto the jury to decide his guilt or innocense.
Was Lori involved with other police officer? Maybe--maybe not. However, I do know first hand that the HPD can and will cover up extra-marital affairs. Why? Because so may of their cops are well thought of in the Holland community and deacons and leaders in area Christian Reformed Churches. These cops are a tight-knit community and will do anything to protect their jobs, reputations and standing in the community, even if it means trashing a woman they claimed to have loved. Ken DeKlein never intended to get caught. Had Lori not bit his lip, he very might have gotten away with this and he would be out there "protecting" the streets of Holland. How scary is that?
You're from Coldwater and are an expert on Holland Police Department? Whatever
T in GR

Erie, CO

#58 Jul 9, 2008
jaf1997 wrote:
I think yours and my quetion has been answered in other posts. The fair trial is so he isn't able to get an appeal.
Just Me

Allegan, MI

#59 Jul 9, 2008
Duh wrote:
<quoted text>
You're from Coldwater and are an expert on Holland Police Department? Whatever
If you pay attention to any of these posts, when it posts where they are from, it's usually not where they are from. I've been from Hopkins, Otsego, and it changes once in a while, but I'm hours away from those towns.
Kimber

United States

#60 Jul 9, 2008
The children are the ones that will suffer most in this case. As for the comment about OJ, I feel he committed that crime. He got away with it.
fred

Holland, MI

#61 Jul 9, 2008
wow this is crazy.
how do you all have time to over analyze this case?
lets just surround bre and chris with love and prayers.
it is very childish arguing and coming up with new theories on here.
MakesUthink

Chicago, IL

#62 Jul 10, 2008
"In the Spot Light"....I think...I KNOW you are correct. Makes you wonder about others that are on the force and abusing power entrusted to them. One article states that Lori had just filed a PPO against her husband...do you know how hard that is to obtain against a police officer?? Normally seen as a person who can do no wrong. Unfortunately, this could happen again in the same community if certain folks don't wake up and get a clue.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Haven Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Grand Haven man bound over in election forgery ... Aug '16 Go Blue Forever 1
News Senate-passed Detroit School plan 'farce,' 'cow... Jun '16 bozo 1
News Ottawa County Church Engulfed in Flames HOLLAND... May '16 District 1 1
News Christine Workman's mug shot from the Muskegon ... Apr '16 WhoDat 1
News These Lake Michigan beaches are getting more sa... Apr '16 next 1
Michigan Sex Offenders Release (Jun '09) Jan '16 aurelius 25
News Feds: Woman stuffed $1.9 million in purse over ... (Dec '15) Jan '16 Ray 3

Grand Haven Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Haven Mortgages