Former Holland cop's murder trial starts

Former Holland cop's murder trial starts

There are 74 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Jul 8, 2008, titled Former Holland cop's murder trial starts. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

Ken DeKleine, the Holland police officer accused of killing his wife, sat at the defendant's table as jury selection began at his trial Tuesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

whatever

Sturgis, MI

#22 Jul 8, 2008
shes dust wrote:
Poor old bag. She's just "Dust in the Wind"
Honestly who says something like this???? your are an idiot!!!!!!!!!
snomad

Hudsonville, MI

#23 Jul 8, 2008
In Michigan, is a charge of "1st degree" an all or nothing scenario... as opposed to "Open Murder" which includes lesser offenses descending to "Manslaughter"? What I am wondering is... Why did the Prosecutor charge "1st Degree" instead of "Open Murder"? Confident of an open and shut case?

Well... look @ his attorney. GH "Golden Boy". Hand picked for a conviction (whoever did the choosing). Guess I answered my own question!
I know

United States

#24 Jul 8, 2008
Maxcine wrote:
I DO NOT believe Ken DeKline is guilty for this murder, if one checks out the clues it all revolves back to the Holland Police Dept, who she was having a affair with another police officer and he killed her out of jelious and how the chief of police is covering this up and one of the reasons he is retiring.
You are wrong. Ken believes she was having an affair with her couselor. Ken snapped, he did confess to all the elements of first degree murder. He made comments that he wants the trial to shed light that she was having an affair so the counselor will loose his license.

It's too bad he has to do this to his children.
Lori

Zeeland, MI

#25 Jul 8, 2008
As a Holland Christian grad and a person who has lived in Holland all her life. I pray for the family that they may find comfort and peace.
Give me a break

Grand Rapids, MI

#26 Jul 8, 2008
Lock him up and throw away the key. Put him in a nice dark dank cell in the UP. Kinda makes you wish for the death penalty.
hollander

United States

#27 Jul 8, 2008
Some of you have way too much time & way too vivid imaginations. Comparing this to OJ trial? Please. Accusing Chief Kruithoff of complicity in some scandal? What are you smoking? The guy has the chance to retire @ 55 yrs of age. Who wouldn't want to retire @ 55! I am envious. Good for him. He has a tough job. I saw him walking down the street the other day holding his wife's hand. He wants to spend more time w her. That is a wonderful thing. Good for him. This is a sad case of one man who apparently snapped for whatever reason. Then again, he is innocent till proven guilty.
Seriously

Kalamazoo, MI

#28 Jul 8, 2008
john wrote:
<quoted text>
It happen with OJ. The cop was guilty of spreading OJ blood at the crime scene
OMG You think OJ was innocent?
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
ABC

Kent City, MI

#29 Jul 8, 2008
snomad wrote:
In Michigan, is a charge of "1st degree" an all or nothing scenario... as opposed to "Open Murder" which includes lesser offenses descending to "Manslaughter"? What I am wondering is... Why did the Prosecutor charge "1st Degree" instead of "Open Murder"? Confident of an open and shut case?
Well... look @ his attorney. GH "Golden Boy". Hand picked for a conviction (whoever did the choosing). Guess I answered my own question!
Open murder does allow and in fact requires the judge to intruct the jury as to the elements of more than one type of homicide. If first degree murder is the charge, the jury will be instructed on only that charge unless the defense attorney wins an argument, after both sides close their cases, asking the court to instruct on one or more of the "lesser included offenses." However, the facts as they are presented at trial must indicate that a jury could reasonably find the defendant guilty of that lesser included offense before the judge can allow the instruction. When you have a situtation where a person allegedly choked someone to death, as opposed to shooting them, it is less likely that a jury will find them guilty of, say, manslaughter. But, as the trial unfolds, the defense could still be allowed an instruction on a homicide that is less than first degree murder.

Since: Jun 08

Grand Rapids

#30 Jul 8, 2008
john wrote:
<quoted text>
You cant really think OJ is innocent
Maxcine

United States

#31 Jul 8, 2008
guilty or not, lets give the man a FAIR trial
joe schmoooo

Grand Rapids, MI

#32 Jul 8, 2008
death by belt hangin i hope he gets it;;;
froggy log

Traverse City, MI

#33 Jul 8, 2008
Seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG You think OJ was innocent?
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Really, Oj Got away with murder. And to this day, He has no regret.
DJL

United States

#34 Jul 8, 2008
shes dust wrote:
Poor old bag. She's just "Dust in the Wind"
You really are a jerk, aren't you?
froggy log

Traverse City, MI

#35 Jul 8, 2008
DJL wrote:
<quoted text>
You really are a jerk, aren't you?
it takes one to know one.
snomad

Hudsonville, MI

#36 Jul 8, 2008
ABC wrote:
<quoted text>
Open murder does allow and in fact requires the judge to intruct the jury as to the elements of more than one type of homicide. If first degree murder is the charge, the jury will be instructed on only that charge unless the defense attorney wins an argument, after both sides close their cases, asking the court to instruct on one or more of the "lesser included offenses." However, the facts as they are presented at trial must indicate that a jury could reasonably find the defendant guilty of that lesser included offense before the judge can allow the instruction. When you have a situtation where a person allegedly choked someone to death, as opposed to shooting them, it is less likely that a jury will find them guilty of, say, manslaughter. But, as the trial unfolds, the defense could still be allowed an instruction on a homicide that is less than first degree murder.
Just as I understand it also... Thank you
from another mother

Brighton, CO

#37 Jul 8, 2008
ABC wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. Don't suppose you were one of the excused potential jurors? I can see that you haven't made up your mind yet, that's good.
What's to make up? He even admitted his guilt to the police and said he was planning on killing his wife. I don't understand how people expect to get away with murder, especially a cop. Shame on him, he knew better but thought he could get away with it simply because he was a cop. I feel sorry for the kids who now have no mother and a scum for a father.
Dee

United States

#38 Jul 8, 2008
john wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to get your facts straight. Where did "the cop" GET OJ's blood if OJ was in Chicago at the time of the discovery and initial investigation? Fed Ex? Read "How I Helped OJ Get Away With Murder" by his former agent and publicist. OJ did it, that's for sure. This man's guilt finally drove him to write the truth.
CCC

Salt Lake City, UT

#39 Jul 8, 2008
Maxcine wrote:
I DO NOT believe Ken DeKline is guilty for this murder, if one checks out the clues it all revolves back to the Holland Police Dept, who she was having a affair with another police officer and he killed her out of jelious and how the chief of police is covering this up and one of the reasons he is retiring.
Maxcine, you make me embarrassed to live in Holland...
Mark

Virginia Beach, VA

#40 Jul 8, 2008
I know wrote:
<quoted text>
...he wants the trial to shed light that she was having an affair so the counselor will loose his license.
Again people, it's "lose", not "loose". Sheesh.
OJ Simpson

Broomfield, CO

#41 Jul 8, 2008
Shortypow wrote:
<quoted text>
You cant really think OJ is innocent
Read my book "If I Did It" - you'll get the full story in there

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Haven Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What happened to Joellen Coon? (Apr '13) Aug 28 Karma 19
Grand Haven doesnt like black people (Oct '12) Jul '17 AssAssassin 33
News Teacher turnover, 'chronic' absenteeism prevale... May '17 Rick 1
News Jessica Heeringa found: This guy started the rumor (Jun '13) Apr '17 A friend 5
Scagel place (Mar '17) Mar '17 Auld Skool 1
News BH Leaders Call For Action To Save Local Schools (Jan '17) Jan '17 marvinlzinn 1
News Park Twp. Man Sentenced in Drive-By Shooting (Nov '16) Nov '16 Go Blue Forever 1

Grand Haven Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Haven Mortgages