Former Holland cop's murder trial starts

Ken DeKleine, the Holland police officer accused of killing his wife, sat at the defendant's table as jury selection began at his trial Tuesday. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Hold yer horses

Alto, MI

#1 Jul 8, 2008
He needs to man up and accept responsibility for his actions to save his children from having to relive this nightmare in a courtroom and save the taxpayers the cost of the trail - admit your guilt and accept your punishment.
Toby

Maryville, TN

#3 Jul 8, 2008
I believe it's standard fair to have a trial in all cases like this. The courts won't accept a guilty plea because it's just too easy to mount an appeal. They have to post a trial, present all the evidence to the record and make sure any grounds for appeal are not likely. He'll probably have some 'stab-in-the-dark' defense, but it is all just to show that due process was served.
ABC

Cedar Springs, MI

#4 Jul 8, 2008
Hold yer horses wrote:
He needs to man up and accept responsibility for his actions to save his children from having to relive this nightmare in a courtroom and save the taxpayers the cost of the trail - admit your guilt and accept your punishment.
Wow. Don't suppose you were one of the excused potential jurors? I can see that you haven't made up your mind yet, that's good.
ABC

Cedar Springs, MI

#5 Jul 8, 2008
Hold yer horses wrote:
Besides, on a first degree murder charge conviction it's life without parole..no exceptions. If the prosecutor didn't offer a plea to anything less, what does he have to lose? Your money? I doubt he cares about that at this point. He's probably hoping that he'll get a jury as dumb as the one that Robert Blake had.
Poof

Grand Rapids, MI

#6 Jul 8, 2008
shes dust wrote:
Poor old bag. She's just "Dust in the Wind"
And so is your comment, Poof!
what2think

Kalamazoo, MI

#7 Jul 8, 2008
'During an interview with police, Ken DeKleine said he went into their house several hours before she died and waited for the kids to leave. He then confronted her in the kitchen and put the strap around her neck.'

HE ADMITTED IT! Why wouldn't someone have their mind made up?
Maxcine

United States

#8 Jul 8, 2008
I DO NOT believe Ken DeKline is guilty for this murder, if one checks out the clues it all revolves back to the Holland Police Dept, who she was having a affair with another police officer and he killed her out of jelious and how the chief of police is covering this up and one of the reasons he is retiring.
ABC

Cedar Springs, MI

#9 Jul 8, 2008
Toby wrote:
I believe it's standard fair to have a trial in all cases like this. The courts won't accept a guilty plea because it's just too easy to mount an appeal. They have to post a trial, present all the evidence to the record and make sure any grounds for appeal are not likely. He'll probably have some 'stab-in-the-dark' defense, but it is all just to show that due process was served.
It's not standard. There are more possible grounds for appeal from a trial than there are from all other proceedings combined. That's simply because there are more chances for the judge and attorneys to screw up. Most rights are waived at a plea hearing.
what2think

Kalamazoo, MI

#10 Jul 8, 2008
Maxcine - so the blood found at the scene was created and the interview was made up?
beatrice

Kalamazoo, MI

#11 Jul 8, 2008
If he really did it, I say strangle him to death with a belt. See how he likes it.

“Dude, Where's my car?”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#12 Jul 8, 2008
Maxcine wrote:
I DO NOT believe Ken DeKline is guilty for this murder, if one checks out the clues it all revolves back to the Holland Police Dept, who she was having a affair with another police officer and he killed her out of jelious and how the chief of police is covering this up and one of the reasons he is retiring.
Wow, where did that information come from???
froggy log

Hudsonville, MI

#13 Jul 8, 2008
Coming from a cop is very surprising. He must have been nuts or not in the right state of mind to commit a crime such as this. I do feel sorry for him in a way. Because he is going to weep in jail for the rest of his life knowing what he did. I, say let him rot.
For the children

Holt, MI

#14 Jul 8, 2008
Unless Maxine was there and witnessed this horriable act done then she should not be accusing people of this crime.His dumb ass admited to it...Y would he say he did it if it was the lover and the Holland P.D. was covering it up.. This poor excuse killed his wife and left her for his children to find. I will enjoy footing the states bill to keep him alive so he can re live his actions everyday...Living knowing that his child saw his mother dead..I hope he rots for a real long time...Maybe someone will get a hold of him in the prisons...And he will exit this world the same way she did...
youre an idiot

Ann Arbor, MI

#15 Jul 8, 2008
beatrice wrote:
If he really did it, I say strangle him to death with a belt. See how he likes it.
If he's guilty...Hang him high
YES

United States

#16 Jul 8, 2008
For the children wrote:
Unless Maxine was there and witnessed this horriable act done then she should not be accusing people of this crime.His dumb ass admited to it...Y would he say he did it if it was the lover and the Holland P.D. was covering it up.. This poor excuse killed his wife and left her for his children to find. I will enjoy footing the states bill to keep him alive so he can re live his actions everyday...Living knowing that his child saw his mother dead..I hope he rots for a real long time...Maybe someone will get a hold of him in the prisons...And he will exit this world the same way she did...
Makes me think of Stacy Peterson and her smug a#s husband ex-cop Drew.
In The Spot Light

Coldwater, MI

#17 Jul 8, 2008
I believe there is little doubt that Ken DeKleine committed this horrible act of murder, however, it will still be unto the jury to decide his guilt or innocense.

Was Lori involved with other police officer? Maybe--maybe not. However, I do know first hand that the HPD can and will cover up extra-marital affairs. Why? Because so may of their cops are well thought of in the Holland community and deacons and leaders in area Christian Reformed Churches. These cops are a tight-knit community and will do anything to protect their jobs, reputations and standing in the community, even if it means trashing a woman they claimed to have loved. Ken DeKlein never intended to get caught. Had Lori not bit his lip, he very might have gotten away with this and he would be out there "protecting" the streets of Holland. How scary is that?
hollander

United States

#18 Jul 8, 2008
I feel very sorry for the children left behind. Mother gone & father accused of her murder. I don't know how that must feel. How about some compassion for them & other innocent family members? A very terrible tragedy, indeed. Prayers & thoughts to the kids & family. Everyone lost w this situation. Making stupid comments on this post does no one any good.
hollander

United States

#19 Jul 8, 2008
Spot Light. Do not know which Holland cops you refer to. I know some, admittedly not well, but do not feel they are in any way secretive or deceptive in any way, shape or form. And I have lived here going on 25 yrs. I have never directly needed their assistance & they have never needed to visit me on anything more than a friendly basis. Close knit. Why not. In their profession teamwork & cameraderie are essential. Their lives depend on it. Not everyone is as nice as you & me:)!
john

Antioch, TN

#20 Jul 8, 2008
what2think wrote:
Maxcine - so the blood found at the scene was created and the interview was made up?
It happen with OJ. The cop was guilty of spreading OJ blood at the crime scene
V to the T

Brighton, MI

#21 Jul 8, 2008
Cops they just think they are above the law. It make me sick that even though he admitted it they still have to give him a "fair" trial. I say admit guilt hang him by his BALLS!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Haven Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Holland man found sleeping in Mason County hote... Oct 7 disco stu 2
Grand Haven doesnt like black people (Oct '12) Sep 25 jazzycat 26
Grand Rapids man robbed at Nunica Rest Stop (Jan '09) Sep 19 Batch 37 Pain Is ... 7
Man came to door wanting me to vote Sep '14 backdrop001 1
Jessica Heeringa (Aug '13) Sep '14 Prayers for Jessica 11
Debate: Gay Marriage - Grand Haven, MI (Jan '12) Sep '14 Sneaky Pete 17
A strong spirit: 'Save Our City' hosts health s... Aug '14 lonewolf 1
Grand Haven Dating
Find my Match

Grand Haven Jobs

Grand Haven People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Grand Haven News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Grand Haven

Personal Finance