WZZM13 - A new Michigan State Police car is turning heads along...

Full story: WZZM Grand Rapids

Troopers with the Michigan State Police are getting some "muscle" added to their jobs...and they say it's making a difference.
Comments
21 - 30 of 30 Comments Last updated Mar 10, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rusty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2007

You are an idiot! The MSP does not choose to purchase these cars. The Fleet services orders them and they are leased to the MSP instead of a crown vic. Why is it that people like you feel the necessity to put negative comments out there, when you have no idea what you are talking about. Also, I will bet you a paycheck that you were not one of the "fine citizens" that helped paint the post. Take care and keep your mouth shut next time.
CanIAskAQuestion

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2007

Trad wrote:
<quoted text>
Logical reason they dont use confiscated vehicles? Think about it. These cars are in unknown condition with unknown amounts of modifications, and problems. Many have aftermarket wheels or other upgrades, that will cost police forces more to repair or replace. Add in that every car must be repaired and maintained by someone who knows the vehicle well, and who has the tools to do it. If you have a fleet of vehicles of all makes and models there will be many improper repairs preformed by mechanics who simply dont know the vehicle well enough, or dont have the tools. By limiting your fleet to only a few lines, you eliminate this problem. By having purchased the vehicle new, the service history and all modification's done to it are known. This ensures reliability, and safety for the officer driving it.
I lived in Cedar Springs for a while and the police there get brand new tires if they get a nail in the tire instead of paying less to put a plug in it and keeping up the records they have to pay for a new tire. Wheter they got that new tire the day before or not does not matter. So tell me how are they making it cheaper on the budget? They are wasting money left and right. But thats okay we citizens will pay for thier stupidity.
Rusty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2007

scott in kent city wrote:
must be why the state layed off so many troopers, so they could get new cars! also i bet the fine citizens of grand haven are happy they took the time and expence to paint the grand haven state police post because the state didnt have the money to do it. Say Yes to Michigan
You are an idiot! The MSP does not choose to purchase these cars. The Fleet services orders them and they are leased to the MSP instead of a crown vic. Why is it that people like you feel the necessity to put negative comments out there, when you have no idea what you are talking about. Also, I will bet you a paycheck that you were not one of the "fine citizens" that helped paint the post. Take care and keep your mouth shut next time.
Rusty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2007

CanIAskAQuestion wrote:
<quoted text>
I lived in Cedar Springs for a while and the police there get brand new tires if they get a nail in the tire instead of paying less to put a plug in it and keeping up the records they have to pay for a new tire. Wheter they got that new tire the day before or not does not matter. So tell me how are they making it cheaper on the budget? They are wasting money left and right. But thats okay we citizens will pay for thier stupidity.
You too are an idiot! See previous to Kent City Man... You know why police departments replace tires, rather than just plugging them? It's because a police officer's life is worth a lot more than a $105 tire. How would you feel if you were driving 100 MPH en-route to an emergency and you had a blow out because the tire was plugged? Think about that next time you decided to open your big mouth!
Pat

Chatfield, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2007

CanIAskAQuestion wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you want a policeman chasing a criminal on a patched tire? For normal every day cars, patches are fine. But when you are using your vehicle to protect the public, and putting it thru what a police crusier goes thru, then patches are not a good idea.

Is much better to be safe than sorry. Those vehicles have to be fanatically maintained- and for good reason.
joel

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2007

i once rode with a state police officer that was very rough on his car. He broke alot of traffic laws, But I was pulled over for a dim taillight. Its weird how it works. He also complained that the car had 70000 miles on it. I wish I could afford a car with only 70,000 miles on it. So tax payers are paying for police officers to hotrod their cars. And these more powerful cars are sucking more gas. I was on my way to work when I was pulled over for a dim taillight.
Chevy riden high

Monroe, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2010

Then well get challengers, corvettes.
Ben

Baton Rouge, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2010

Judged:

A plug in a tire? Is this guy serious? Does anyone have any idea what a plug will do at 120MPH? Must not, there has to be the biggest display of ignorance I have ever seen with some of these people. Maybe when someone puts some bullets through your house or attempt to commit the crime of home invasion you thank the state for having that reliable car that they came running to the rescue in. If the car broke down enroute they would piss and moan about how the state was not doing their job replacing older cars with 80,000 miles on them. I notice that in law enforcement you just can not win in the publics eyes. I guess people just love to complain to feel good about themselves. It is not just the trooper's life at stake when a $100 tire fails. It could be your wife and kids in a vehicle right in that 4000 pound paper weights path of destruction when that $100 dollar tire fails. Just be careful what you wish for folks. You may just get a wake up call and realize how much you need those "Michigan State Trooper's!"
St Stephen

Milwaukee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2010

Pat wrote:
I just did some research via the kbb site. I compared three commonly used police cars... the chevy impala, the ford crown victoria, and the dodge charger w/ hemi. I picked the models with the options closest to each other, so as not to pick a 'base' model and a 'loaded' model. Here are the stats:
Ford Crown Vic- RWD, 4.6L V8, 224 hp $26,810
Chevy Impala SS- FWD, 5.3L V8, 303 hp $27,367
Dodge Hemi Charger- RWD 5.7L V8, 340hp,$28,922
So as you can see, they are all priced pretty much the same. However, the Crown Vic's power is almost laughable. I had an avg Grand Prix GT that had that much power. So any criminal, drug runner, etc. had a really good chance to get away, and Im sure they would take full advantage of that.
It would be nice to have some police personnel weigh in on this issue. I would be willing to bet that they fully appreciate the extra power and speed the Charger brings them. And in my opinion, if you have to replace a cruiser, I would rather pay the little bit extra to do more to help keep bad people off the street.
Your numbers don't take into account the Charger's transmission blowing up @ 50,000 miles or the air conditioning going out @ 35,000 miles. Manufacturers don't give warranties for police cars so anything that breaks is covered by the taxpayers. Chryslers are the biggest pieces of cheap crap assembled outside of China. They may be fast but when they are in the shop with their hoods up they might as well be mopeds.
Ben

Hammond, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2010

St Stephen wrote:
<quoted text>
Your numbers don't take into account the Charger's transmission blowing up @ 50,000 miles or the air conditioning going out @ 35,000 miles. Manufacturers don't give warranties for police cars so anything that breaks is covered by the taxpayers. Chryslers are the biggest pieces of cheap crap assembled outside of China. They may be fast but when they are in the shop with their hoods up they might as well be mopeds.
Do your research again pinhead. Police cars do in fact come with warranty's. They get the same 3 year 36,000 mile warranty as you do when buying a car. This is required by law. Ford is the only to offer a powertrain warranty past the 3/36,000. Their warranty on the powertrain is good till 55,000 or 56,000. Anyway you should really look at what you are saying. I wonder what will cost more? Working on a 2000 model crown vic with 120,000 miles or a 2010 charger or crown vic with 800 miles on it. I do not know what your qualification's (JUDGING BY UR POST NOT MUCH QUALIFICATIONS) are but I going with the 800 mile car. I have been buying police cars since 1999 and anyone around will tell you I am the best in the business. The MSP also test these things for weeks before the rate and/or purchase one. This is the most particular and extensive testing I have ever seen from a department. I am not going to lie, I still refuse to purchase a charger. Only thing in this fleet are Crown Victoria P71's. I see where you are trying to go but bring something factual to the table. ALL NEW vehicles have warranty for 3 year 36,000 as per federal law. Have a great day.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Grand Haven Discussions

Search the Grand Haven Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) Jul 23 gottondas 5,482
MI Who do you support for Secretary of State in Mi... (Oct '10) Jul 7 maeball 169
MI Michigan Felon Politician Ban Amendment, Propos... (Oct '10) Jun '14 lulubell 302
Heroin and Marijuana Jun '14 Tony Rowe 1
Holland Museum opens exhibit of Nazi propaganda... Jun '14 Johan Schmidt 20
wind storm blows away pronto pup stand Jun '14 John Depth 3
MI Who do you support for Attorney General in Mich... (Oct '10) May '14 Ned Tugent 114
•••
•••
•••
•••

Grand Haven Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Grand Haven People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••