WZZM13 - A new Michigan State Police car is turning heads along...

Troopers with the Michigan State Police are getting some "muscle" added to their jobs...and they say it's making a difference. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Afterburner

Virginia Beach, VA

#1 Jun 20, 2007
What happens when the drug dealers buy Chargers ?
scott in kent city

United States

#2 Jun 20, 2007
must be why the state layed off so many troopers, so they could get new cars! also i bet the fine citizens of grand haven are happy they took the time and expence to paint the grand haven state police post because the state didnt have the money to do it. Say Yes to Michigan
Beth

Traverse City, MI

#3 Jun 20, 2007
More troopers would be a better investment than souped-up cars.

And I don't know that high speed chases are all that great of an idea anyway. Nothing like encouraging the criminal to try to outrun your 150 MPH.
Trad

Wyoming, MI

#4 Jun 20, 2007
Sorry, but even with a Hemi, these cars are not fast. Fact is, the Crown Vic's were just so terribly slow, these cars feel fast to them.
Police will continue to need to update the fleet of patrol vehicles, and this one will suit that purpose very well. big enough, decent power, and fairly inexpensive. As a police vehicle it actually looks pretty cool.
To those complaining the police shouldn't be buying vehicles like this....what else are they to buy? Old high mileage vehicles must be replaced. Options are limited for them. Its not like they just went out and bought 5 Vett's you know.
William

Byron Center, MI

#5 Jun 20, 2007
It's too bad there are negative comments, I think it's great that the State did research and development enough to get these cars. I'll bet the cost for these compaired to the fords are very close.
danasue

Decatur, MI

#6 Jun 20, 2007
I love seeing the new Charger around town!
Scott Smith

Sun Prairie, WI

#7 Jun 21, 2007
I think the state should have saved the money from the cars and just started using vehicles they take from drug dealers. They use them for the D.A.R.E. programs and make them cop cars anyway.

I like this we have to cut back on police officers around the state to help with the budget but we can get new cars for the cops we are running out of.

We can thank good ol Jenny for this!!!!!!!!!!
for Scott in Kent City

Williamsburg, MI

#8 Jun 21, 2007
scott in kent city wrote:
must be why the state layed off so many troopers, so they could get new cars! also i bet the fine citizens of grand haven are happy they took the time and expence to paint the grand haven state police post because the state didnt have the money to do it. Say Yes to Michigan
Apparently you didn't catch the part of the interview where it was clearly stated that this was a replacement vehicle and not an addition to the fleet. This department is doing more with less every day and still fighting crime and taking traffic enforcement seriously. I bet the fine citizens of Grand Haven realized that and that is why they chose to help out and paint the post.
Pat

United States

#9 Jun 21, 2007
Trad wrote:
Sorry, but even with a Hemi, these cars are not fast. Fact is, the Crown Vic's were just so terribly slow, these cars feel fast to them.
Police will continue to need to update the fleet of patrol vehicles, and this one will suit that purpose very well. big enough, decent power, and fairly inexpensive. As a police vehicle it actually looks pretty cool.
To those complaining the police shouldn't be buying vehicles like this....what else are they to buy? Old high mileage vehicles must be replaced. Options are limited for them. Its not like they just went out and bought 5 Vett's you know.
I wholeheartedly agree with you. If anyoen does research on the cost of new vehicles, especially in this calss, you will see they all cost roughly the same amount of money. And the fact is, police vehicles HAVE to be replaced. It happens all the time and it is a necessity. You can hire all the cops you want, but its hardly worth having them if they cant drive anywhere!
scott in kent city

United States

#10 Jun 21, 2007
for Scott in Kent City wrote:
<quoted text> Apparently you didn't catch the part of the interview where it was clearly stated that this was a replacement vehicle and not an addition to the fleet. This department is doing more with less every day and still fighting crime and taking traffic enforcement seriously. I bet the fine citizens of Grand Haven realized that and that is why they chose to help out and paint the post.
Oh so you think that "replaced" means we didnt pay for them? Nice try Governor, get back to work!
Pat

United States

#11 Jun 21, 2007
I just did some research via the kbb site. I compared three commonly used police cars... the chevy impala, the ford crown victoria, and the dodge charger w/ hemi. I picked the models with the options closest to each other, so as not to pick a 'base' model and a 'loaded' model. Here are the stats:

Ford Crown Vic- RWD, 4.6L V8, 224 hp $26,810
Chevy Impala SS- FWD, 5.3L V8, 303 hp $27,367
Dodge Hemi Charger- RWD 5.7L V8, 340hp,$28,922

So as you can see, they are all priced pretty much the same. However, the Crown Vic's power is almost laughable. I had an avg Grand Prix GT that had that much power. So any criminal, drug runner, etc. had a really good chance to get away, and Im sure they would take full advantage of that.

It would be nice to have some police personnel weigh in on this issue. I would be willing to bet that they fully appreciate the extra power and speed the Charger brings them. And in my opinion, if you have to replace a cruiser, I would rather pay the little bit extra to do more to help keep bad people off the street.
not happy at all

Saint Charles, IL

#12 Jun 21, 2007
for Scott in Kent City wrote:
<quoted text> Apparently you didn't catch the part of the interview where it was clearly stated that this was a replacement vehicle and not an addition to the fleet. This department is doing more with less every day and still fighting crime and taking traffic enforcement seriously. I bet the fine citizens of Grand Haven realized that and that is why they chose to help out and paint the post.
Exactly hun, REPLACEMENT VEHICLE which means they still had to PAY FOR IT. You think they replace vehicles at no cost? duh!

I think the money should have stayed for paying the troopers instead of the new cars. And those chargers are not cheap. What are they thinking just cause they have a faster car their gonna get more arrests?
Pat

United States

#13 Jun 21, 2007
What are more troopers going to do when they cant drive anywhere?
not happy at all

Saint Charles, IL

#14 Jun 21, 2007
I'm talking about the ones that got laid off,(they got replaced by cars.)
Pat

United States

#15 Jun 22, 2007
not happy at all wrote:
I'm talking about the ones that got laid off,(they got replaced by cars.)
Troopers getting laid off and replaced by cars? Not only is that incorrect, but it doesnt make sense. The state is not going to spend money on vehicles only to have them sit there because ther are more vehicles than troopers because of lay offs.

The state puts money aside for equipment maintenance, upgrades, etc. for our police, firemen, etc. They most certainly did not lay off troopers, then turn around and use that money to buy vehicles.

Police vehicles require maintenance and replacing- it always has been that way and always will be. Money is set aside for these things specifically- it has nothing to do with state employee budget issues.

And if you read my post from above, you will see that the Charger's price is right in line with other commonly used police vehicles. There is nothing special or different about it pricewise... the 'special' thing is that now cops can actually have the power to keep up with faster cars out there.

When firetrucks need replacing, is there a lot of negative public opinion about it? No- because we generally see it as a necessity. If a school needs improvements, is there negative public opinion about that? No.

Yet- they are experiencing budget issues and employee layoffs too... so why should a police equipment replacement/upgrade be made to become a negative thing?
Trad

Wyoming, MI

#16 Jun 22, 2007
Scott Smith wrote:
I think the state should have saved the money from the cars and just started using vehicles they take from drug dealers. They use them for the D.A.R.E. programs and make them cop cars anyway.
Logical reason they dont use confiscated vehicles? Think about it. These cars are in unknown condition with unknown amounts of modifications, and problems. Many have aftermarket wheels or other upgrades, that will cost police forces more to repair or replace. Add in that every car must be repaired and maintained by someone who knows the vehicle well, and who has the tools to do it. If you have a fleet of vehicles of all makes and models there will be many improper repairs preformed by mechanics who simply dont know the vehicle well enough, or dont have the tools. By limiting your fleet to only a few lines, you eliminate this problem. By having purchased the vehicle new, the service history and all modification's done to it are known. This ensures reliability, and safety for the officer driving it.
Lil Bill

Williamsburg, MI

#17 Jun 23, 2007
I like Charger. It is pretty and neat to look at! I want to take it for a drive and go 150mph! I might accidentally crash it though... and that would be bad. Dee di dee.
Peanut Butter Milk Bone

Williamsburg, MI

#18 Jun 23, 2007
I like giving my dog a ride in my Charger.
danasue

Decatur, MI

#19 Jun 24, 2007
danasue wrote:
OK, why did the word "town" get censored?
danasue

Decatur, MI

#20 Jun 24, 2007
danasue wrote:
Alright, the word t o w n??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Haven Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What happened to Joellen Coon? (Apr '13) 14 hr dave 19
Grand Haven doesnt like black people (Oct '12) 16 hr Whitechick 27
Beautiful Grand Haven Lighthouse. (Aug '08) Nov 19 papasbaby 12
Holland man found sleeping in Mason County hote... Oct '14 disco stu 2
Grand Rapids man robbed at Nunica Rest Stop (Jan '09) Sep '14 Batch 37 Pain Is ... 7
Man came to door wanting me to vote Sep '14 backdrop001 1
Jessica Heeringa (Aug '13) Sep '14 Prayers for Jessica 11
Grand Haven Dating
Find my Match

Grand Haven People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Grand Haven News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Grand Haven

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:46 pm PST

Bleacher Report 4:46PM
Is New England Proving to Be Unbeatable?
Bleacher Report 4:52 PM
Takeaways from Bears' Win vs. Bucs
Bleacher Report 5:33 PM
Where Should Pats Slot into Week 13 Fantasy Lineups?
Bleacher Report 6:57 PM
Reggie Bush Injury Update and Fantasy Football Impact
NFL 7:58 PM
Wilfork: Raiola's 'uncalled for' cut-block was 'stupid'