Red Cross director lays herself off

Red Cross director lays herself off

There are 25 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Mar 24, 2009, titled Red Cross director lays herself off. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

Looking to cut costs in tough times, a local Red Cross leader in Michigan has decided to lay herself off.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Mar 08

Jenison

#1 Mar 24, 2009
Bravo! I'm sorry she'll be leaving her job, but at least one executive is willing to lay herself off, rather than cut services or lay someone else off. Not many people would be brave enough to do that. Good luck to her.
Finally

East Lansing, MI

#2 Mar 24, 2009
Now that is leadership!
The Important question

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#3 Mar 24, 2009
Sounds great and is pretty commendable, I guess. But here's the question - is she going to file for unemployment? Unemployment is pretty expensive for a company (even the Red Cross?) and expensive for an already over-burdened unemployed state. If she is going to collect - where is the savings? And she takes someone with her? Hmmmmmm..... Sorry if I am a little skeptical about executives making "Oh what a great sacrifice" moves...
Zeelander

Kalamazoo, MI

#4 Mar 24, 2009
Finally....your right, that is leadership!!!!!!

Is there anyway of getting her to run for a State or Federal position????? We need that kind of leadship, dedication and common sense.

Since: Oct 08

Littleton, CO

#5 Mar 24, 2009
The Important question wrote:
Sounds great and is pretty commendable, I guess. But here's the question - is she going to file for unemployment? Unemployment is pretty expensive for a company (even the Red Cross?) and expensive for an already over-burdened unemployed state. If she is going to collect - where is the savings? And she takes someone with her? Hmmmmmm..... Sorry if I am a little skeptical about executives making "Oh what a great sacrifice" moves...
Yea .. I thought the same thing .. surely as an executive, she will qualify for a sizable unemployment check ... and have the summer off .. maybe even next summer? Wonder if she is old enough to retire rather than draw unemployment?
ohman

Lapeer, MI

#6 Mar 24, 2009
I know Sindee from when I volunteered at the Red Cross. She is a awesome lady. The fact she did this does not surprise me one bit. GO Sindee! Way to be a leader and think of others before yourself! You will be rewarded!:)
Pat

United States

#7 Mar 24, 2009
Are you kidding me? You really think that her filing for unemployment is an issue?
Here is an executive that is willing to take $387 a week in unemployment (if she even files for it)as versus her usual pay, which I have to believe is much more than that and you think she is not making a sacrifice? Would you be willing to walk away from a job and take that amount for 13 weeks of pay, and possibly not have any unemployment extensions to rely on. Just go find another job when the money runs out. It is not that simple or easy. Yes, the company does have to pay unemployment, but it is way less than what they are paying for her to keep her job. If she had benefits of any kind through this company, then she is also saving them that amount. Look at the big picture. Most companies start at the bottom and work their way up when they are eliminating positions. That leaves the highest paid people still at the company. She started at the top, with herself and therefore may have also saved a couple other people from being unemployed. If you look at it this way, she has saved the company even more money (and the already burdened state)by not having to eliminate more jobs and have 2 or 3 more people collecting unemployment. I don't know what she makes or what those under her make, but I am thinking it is at least a 2:1 ratio. I commend her for having the foresight to not burden the company or state any more than necessary, and to be the one to look at it from a new perspective. I challenge all other companies that are in the same position where they have to lay off people to start at the top and have as few people as possible drawing off a crippled unemployment system. The added bonus is that in the service industry, this will not take away from the customer service side of things. It promotes positive customer service.
aaawww shucks

Charlotte, NC

#8 Mar 24, 2009
Man I wish my boss at SPX did that instead of letting everyone else go. Leave the one that doesnt know how to do anything.
larry

Grand Rapids, MI

#9 Mar 24, 2009
now why can't Gobner Grandmole do the same thing?

“Taz say Hi”

Since: Jan 08

Holland,MI

#10 Mar 24, 2009
A company pays unemployment insurance for each individual listed on their payroll. If someone is laid off, the company continues to pay the same amount of unemployment tax for that individual.
AHA

Grand Rapids, MI

#11 Mar 24, 2009
Might give herself one of those AIG bonuses before she leaves.
Micky

Northbrook, IL

#12 Mar 24, 2009
Over 50 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea .. I thought the same thing .. surely as an executive, she will qualify for a sizable unemployment check ... and have the summer off .. maybe even next summer? Wonder if she is old enough to retire rather than draw unemployment?
There is a cap/maximum that she can draw..and its not much more than $350.00 a week. I am sure she made MUCH more than that!!!
Eddy

Grand Rapids, MI

#13 Mar 24, 2009
Finally wrote:
Now that is leadership!
You took the words right out of my mouth. I wish there were more people in business who modeled this sort of behavior.

Littleton, CO

#14 Mar 24, 2009
Micky wrote:
<quoted text> There is a cap/maximum that she can draw..and its not much more than $350.00 a week. I am sure she made MUCH more than that!!!
She is probably a great lady and did a great job. I am just suspicious of something like this. Have to wait for the rest of the story.
john

Grand Rapids, MI

#15 Mar 24, 2009
AHA wrote:
Might give herself one of those AIG bonuses before she leaves.
You've obviously never met Sindee. And if she were so greedy and motivated by money, why did she choose a career in the Red Cross? Also, Red Cross receives no federal funding of any sort, bailout or otherwise.

Now go put Sesame Street back on, you window-licker.
Eddy

Grand Rapids, MI

#16 Mar 24, 2009
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you kidding me? You really think that her filing for unemployment is an issue?
Here is an executive that is willing to take $387 a week in unemployment (if she even files for it)as versus her usual pay, which I have to believe is much more than that and you think she is not making a sacrifice?....
Pat,
Thank you for bringing logic, well-crafted argument, and rational thought back into play here.

I don't understand why some people have to see an ulterior motive, hidden agenda, or conspiracy theory behind every action. Why don't people believe that others can just act out of good faith anymore? It saddens me, that's for sure.
laughter is best medicine

United States

#17 Mar 24, 2009
john wrote:
<quoted text>
You've obviously never met Sindee. And if she were so greedy and motivated by money, why did she choose a career in the Red Cross? Also, Red Cross receives no federal funding of any sort, bailout or otherwise.
Now go put Sesame Street back on, you window-licker.
Wow, get a sense of humor and/or a few brain cells.

Littleton, CO

#18 Mar 24, 2009
Eddy wrote:
<quoted text>
Pat,
Thank you for bringing logic, well-crafted argument, and rational thought back into play here.
I don't understand why some people have to see an ulterior motive, hidden agenda, or conspiracy theory behind every action. Why don't people believe that others can just act out of good faith anymore? It saddens me, that's for sure.
We are living in strange times right now and many executives are walking away with lucrative packages. Hopefully we are wrong in this instance.
Bill

United States

#19 Mar 24, 2009
AIG should take note from this. Hats off to this lady. Lets not forget she will lose her health benefits to. Now if we could only have Obama lay himself off then we would be saving Trillions of dollars. Maybe even his treasury tax cheater buddy too.

I feel better already.
I know the truth Sindee

Grand Rapids, MI

#20 Mar 24, 2009
Ask yourself this people: If you knew your job was about to be eliminated and you had a friend at the paper, how would you spin this to make yourself look good?
Think about it.
The Red Cross staff know how this happened and she is not a martyr - although this spin makes her much more employable-looking, now doesn't it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Haven Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Grand Haven doesnt like black people (Oct '12) Jul 18 AssAssassin 33
News Teacher turnover, 'chronic' absenteeism prevale... May '17 Rick 1
News Jessica Heeringa found: This guy started the rumor (Jun '13) Apr '17 A friend 5
Scagel place Mar '17 Auld Skool 1
News BH Leaders Call For Action To Save Local Schools Jan '17 marvinlzinn 1
News Park Twp. Man Sentenced in Drive-By Shooting (Nov '16) Nov '16 Go Blue Forever 1
News Wallet Snatchers in Downtown Holland SoughtHOLL... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Go Blue Forever 2

Grand Haven Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Haven Mortgages