Gun Control

Posted in the Grand Coteau Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of115
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Common Sense

Sunset, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Mar 7, 2012
 
http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20120307...

This article says, "once a good person, always a good person" so gun permit not needed.

How many good people are in prison today because something caused them to snap? Every time a crime is committed, the neighbors say, "he/she was such a quiet person, always helpful and/or great with kids". Before purchasing a gun, safety and gun use classes should be taken.

Permits allow a database to be built/maintained. Officers have a right to know what they maybe dealing with. I think this is the first step to legalizing automatic weapons (in preparation for civil war - 99% vs. 1%). Officers will quit in record numbers and the US will turn into a police state (military will take over law enforcement).

Gun Permits are a good thing and should remain in place at an affordable fee. Those who disagree must have another agenda.
Shooter

Jackson, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Mar 7, 2012
 
Seems that you aren't current with state and federal gun laws. Automatics are legal in Louisiana. semi-auto and (full auto with permit)
You already have to take a class to carry a gun. It's called a concealed carry permit. Plus you have to pass a NICS check to buy any gun. Don't you think gun laws are tight enough??
Common Sense

Sunset, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Mar 7, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I was speaking to the states without concealed permits.

http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html

When I speak of auto weapons, I am speaking about high powered (military) weapons.

As far as strength:
"Based on a ratio of population over amount of violent crimes, Louisiana currently ranks as the fourth most dangerous state in the country. With one violent crime per every 137 citizens, Louisiana is only behind Nevada, South Carolina, and Tennessee in this useful statistic. Granted, there are many cultural and economic factors that go into these numbers; however, one can assume that the absence of regulations in the gun license or gun permit process only augment the state's high violent crime statistics."
http://gun.laws.com/state-gun-laws/louisiana-...

You tell me. Seems to me that gun laws help to keep guns in the right hands. Safer environment. Guns kill people. People shooting with only their fingers look stupid; but no one dies.
Shooter

Jackson, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Mar 7, 2012
 

Judged:

1

The writer of that article is anti-gun. They leave things out such as there is an instant background check to buy any gun at a gun store. A felon can't just buy guns from a gun store. Criminals are criminals because they break the law. So if you make it harder for law abiding citizens to get guns, it doesn't stop criminals. Increase the penalties for gun violations dont restrict law abibing cotizens from obtaining guns. It's people like you who make my hobby more difficult and expensive.
You can keep voting for Obama but it won't pay off.
Common Sense

Sunset, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Mar 7, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

I don't understand how guns (other than for hunting) can be considered a "hobby".

Guns started out as a hunting tool, then was turned on people.

A gun is a dangerous hunting tool that should be respected. With few regulations, it makes it easier for "criminals" to own them.

I think the person that wrote the article is Pro Life rather than anti gun. I guess its all in how you look at it.

Not sure who I will vote for, but it will not be one of the Repubs currently running. They cannot get their story straight. They have, however, explained (from the highest mountain) why no one should vote for any of them. They want to replace middle class jobs (w/benefits) with min. wage jobs, send illegals home (only have them come back on work visas (less than min. wage, no benefits), turn SS over to Wallstreet and Medicare over to the 1%(who it seems does not want to cover pre-existing conditions - only get richer), go to war with Iran and Syria, cut out Corporate taxes and reduce the tax rate for the 1%. Did I miss anything?
Shooter

Jackson, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Mar 7, 2012
 

Judged:

4

3

1

You don't recognize target shooting and gun collecting as a hobby??
Most important of all, a gun is protection. Since you are anti-gun, don't worry I won't use my gun to protect you from harm if the time comes. I wouldn't want to offend you.
I'm done with your ignorance.
If you do live in Louisiana, move away because you certainly don't belong in this great state.
Realist

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Mar 7, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

Common Sense is such an oxymoron in your case.
Shooter

Jackson, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Mar 8, 2012
 
Realist wrote:
Common Sense is such an oxymoron in your case.
You got the moron part right. This thread is called gun control, not social security or Medicare and everything else common sense was babbling about. I'll leave those topics to another thread where they belong. I lawfully own and carry my gun because it is my right as a law abiding American. Maybe someone needs to read the second amendment. I feel safe knowing that I can protect myself and my family if I need to. I love this country and the state of Louisiana for giving me these rights. It's time to except that the world isn't such a nice place and there are bad people out there. I have my gun and I will never live in fear.
Common Sense

Sunset, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Mar 8, 2012
 

Judged:

1

That's right when your point doesn't hold water, make personal remarks. Are you related to Rush L.?

I have no problem with gun ownership in the right hands for the right purpose. TOO often innocent people are killed because the wrong people, although good people, misused them or did not store them in the proper way.

I will ALWAYS be behind strict gun laws. Guns kill people. Good qualified citizens will NEVER have a problem passing the test. Need to keep a database of gun owners. Strict laws make it more difficult for criminals to get weapons (nothing is fool proof).

Being the 4th dangerous state in the union is NOTHING to be proud of. Just means we have alot of work to do.
Realist

Sulphur, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Mar 8, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Common Sense wrote:
That's right when your point doesn't hold water, make personal remarks. Are you related to Rush L.?
I have no problem with gun ownership in the right hands for the right purpose. TOO often innocent people are killed because the wrong people, although good people, misused them or did not store them in the proper way.
I will ALWAYS be behind strict gun laws. Guns kill people. Good qualified citizens will NEVER have a problem passing the test. Need to keep a database of gun owners. Strict laws make it more difficult for criminals to get weapons (nothing is fool proof).
Being the 4th dangerous state in the union is NOTHING to be proud of. Just means we have alot of work to do.
Spoken like a true socialist, liberal, constitution stomping, flag burning Democrat.
Roseann Roseanna Danna

Opelousas, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Mar 8, 2012
 
Common Sense wrote:
I was speaking to the states without concealed permits.
http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html
When I speak of auto weapons, I am speaking about high powered (military) weapons.
As far as strength:
"Based on a ratio of population over amount of violent crimes, Louisiana currently ranks as the fourth most dangerous state in the country. With one violent crime per every 137 citizens, Louisiana is only behind Nevada, South Carolina, and Tennessee in this useful statistic. Granted, there are many cultural and economic factors that go into these numbers; however, one can assume that the absence of regulations in the gun license or gun permit process only augment the state's high violent crime statistics."
http://gun.laws.com/state-gun-laws/louisiana-...
You tell me. Seems to me that gun laws help to keep guns in the right hands. Safer environment. Guns kill people. People shooting with only their fingers look stupid; but no one dies.
Check out the areas where the worst violence is coming from, and print that. Bet you won't! Cultural and economic factors? Are you talking about blacks and illegals? I guess white people never had hard times or still don't, right? They just didn't reach for a gun everytime an incident came up!
Shooter

Smithville, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Mar 8, 2012
 
Realist wrote:
<quoted text>
Spoken like a true socialist, liberal, constitution stomping, flag burning Democrat.
I agree!! I'm done here, common sense your an idiot. At this point you aren't worth my time. I let the NRA fight these battles. Good luck getting tighter gun laws. You will need it.
Common Sense

Sunset, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Mar 8, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I always thought target shooting was practice for the hunt. Silly me, lol.

Far from being an idiot.

If you truly cared about safe responsible gun ownership, you would see that strict laws would protect gun owners; not restrict them.

The way things are now, guns have to go off and hurt/kill someone before something is done; too late. Then all are restricted (which will include safe responsible gun owners).
Shooter

Smithville, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Mar 8, 2012
 
There are competitions that require someone to hit a target. Just stop bringing ignorance to this thread.

This is my last post
Goodbye idiot
Common Sense

Sunset, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Mar 9, 2012
 
This is America and you are welcome to your hobbies and contests.

To ensure public safety, strict gun laws should be in place. It has been proven that strict gun laws bring down crime (use of guns in crimes).

Again, good responsible citizens that can be held accountable for the guns (use) would not have difficulty in obtaining licenses (guns). Do with them what you want (legal that is).

It just seems to me that a law abiding responsible person would be in favor of this.
Dealer

Kinder, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Mar 9, 2012
 
I couldn't help but notice this topic. I have a Federal Firearms License and I'm quite sure that I am pretty up to speed on current gun laws. I would just like to educate you a little. All gun purchases require a background check and records are kept of the transaction. These records are open to law enforcement agencies. No one can walk around with a concealed gun with out proper training and approval by state police. State Police has detailed information on every concealed carry permit holder. Title 2 weapons require federal registration and a federal background check and approval can take 5-6 months. These weapons also have to be registered with the State Police.(that is Louisiana state law)

Criminals will always find illegal ways to get their hands on weapons. Police enforcing the law is how they deal with these situations. Some how somewhere there will be accidents just like there are car accidents and plane crashes. It is the gun owner's responsibility to have gun safety training.

No matter how tight they make gun laws, there will always be people out there who will break gun laws just as other laws are broken. I encourage all gun owners to set the right example, so that opinions on guns will be more positive.

I hope this helps.
twenty deadliest states

Sunset, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Mar 9, 2012
 
http://www.thedailybeast.com/galleries/2011/0...

Louisiana is amoung the 20 most deadliest gun states.

We are not the worst, but have alot of room for improvement.
Just Sayin

Jackson, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Mar 24, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

GUN CONTROL-He who has the GUNS has CONTROL. Don't know about you but I'd rather be in control. You want to give that power over yourself to someone else. Good for you. I'll pray for you and yours. But I'll keep my guns.
twenty deadliest states

Church Point, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Mar 24, 2012
 
Just Sayin wrote:
GUN CONTROL-He who has the GUNS has CONTROL. Don't know about you but I'd rather be in control. You want to give that power over yourself to someone else. Good for you. I'll pray for you and yours. But I'll keep my guns.
You better have the most powerful gun out there, because others will unless there are laws. We are a civilized nation.

We are not talking about hunting rifles and small guns to protect you. We are talking about Assault Weapons.

Keep in mind, when coporations are looking to invest in a state, they look at all aspects: education, culture and safety to mention a few. We only have one out of these three.
Fla Shooter

Church Point, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Mar 26, 2012
 
Even though, under Fla laws, the shooter was within his rights; he will have to live the rest of his life with this un-necessay death on his hands. Based on what his friends say about him, he sounds like a good guy. The situation got away from him. Had he not had the gun with him, things would be so different today. Something to think about, "it's not always what is legal, but rather the right thing to do".

I hope the law is changed in Fla and around the country.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of115
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Grand Coteau Discussions

Search the Grand Coteau Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Trail rides carve out new territory in St. Land... 1 hr whoooaa now 1
Who will be Arnaudville 's next chief of police 12 hr Aville 143
Review: OP Beauty Hair Star 23 hr Offended 1
crystal Sat Screme 2
LA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Louisiana... (Oct '10) Sat Hold on there 2,553
Trail rides return larger than ever Sat tyke496 11
Rachel Younts Stelly Jul 11 Wondering 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Grand Coteau Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Grand Coteau People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Grand Coteau News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Grand Coteau
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••