Should parents go to jail if their kids misbehave in class?

Jun 19, 2007 Read more: NBC 15 Online 23

“If my child doesn't go to school, then that's different”

' A teacher attacked at a Mobile County High School several weeks ago is recovering from the frightening dilemma. via NBC 15 Online

Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
april

United States

#1 Jun 29, 2007
I dont belive parents should go to jail you cant stay with your kids at school all day. maybe we need to put those law makers that took the way you disspling your kids in jail instead.

I THINK THE SHCOOL HAS GONE TO FAR THIS TIME AND MAYBE WE NEED TO TAKE BACK SOME OF THAT POWER THAT THIS EVEL SCHOOL BOARD HAS. AND WE THE PEOPLE NEED TO TELL THEM WHAT NEEDES TO BE DONE.
big point resident

United States

#2 Jun 30, 2007
sounds like the school needs to be teaching the kids how to behave. they are probably too busy teaching them how to dress.
General I roneagle

Shreveport, LA

#3 Aug 2, 2007
If parents would get off their butts, quit be afraid of their kids and what other people think and spanks thier little bottoms when they need it, we wouldn't be living in such chaos now.
Teachers can only reinforce what parents have already taught and these days, most parents are too self centered to even care what their kids do and then when the kids acts up , they blame the teacher.

If we start punishing lazy parents for what their kids do, I bet some folks would be getting off their butts and start dicipling their kids and quit laying blame on over worked, under paid teachers.

PARENTS....IT IS OUR RESPONSIBILITY TO TEACH AND MOLD OUR CHILDREN.
GET YOU HEAD OUT OF YOUR BUTT AND PAY YOUR KIDS SOME ATTENTION , DICIPLINE THEM WHEN THEY NEED IT AND SHOW THEM YOU CARE!

Since: Apr 07

For the past 2 years..Gautier

#4 Aug 3, 2007
big point resident wrote:
sounds like the school needs to be teaching the kids how to behave. they are probably too busy teaching them how to dress.
Don't be ridiculous. It's not the teachers responsibility to teach a child "how" to behave. That should have been done long before the child was sent to school.
Mario

Daejeon, Korea

#5 Sep 23, 2007
TEACHERS should go to prison if they hit children. As a former teacher with over seventeen experience, I've seen a lot of abuse in the system and it still sickens me to think that the law turns a blind eye to it, at least in my country. No damned wonder the kids act up - they have extrememly good role models for anti-social behaviour.
big point

United States

#6 Sep 24, 2007
bad4255 wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't be ridiculous. It's not the teachers responsibility to teach a child "how" to behave. That should have been done long before the child was sent to school.
just trying to make a point that the uniform issue should be a minor thing. If the parents have brought them up right, the kids already should know how to behave and how to dress properly.
Every parent is responsible for the way they raise their children.
Dinah

Monkton, MD

#7 Jan 13, 2008
General I roneagle wrote:
If parents would get off their butts, quit be afraid of their kids and what other people think and spanks thier little bottoms when they need it, we wouldn't be living in such chaos now.
Teachers can only reinforce what parents have already taught and these days, most parents are too self centered to even care what their kids do and then when the kids acts up , they blame the teacher.
If we start punishing lazy parents for what their kids do, I bet some folks would be getting off their butts and start dicipling their kids and quit laying blame on over worked, under paid teachers.
GET YOU HEAD OUT OF YOUR BUTT AND PAY YOUR KIDS SOME ATTENTION , DICIPLINE THEM WHEN THEY NEED IT AND SHOW THEM YOU CARE!
I agree with PART of your statement. But as for punishing the parents, BELIEVE ME, they'll get it alright --from natural consequence. IF we don't meddle in people's personal affairs.

It is ONE thing to take a child from a home in which the parents are CRIMINALS, or do drugs, or abuse their children. It is QUITE another to just punish the parents for the kid's wrongdoing. This makes my BLOOD BOIL to see this even suggested.

To bad you people don't listen to God who said that 'the father will not be held accountable for the sin of the child' AND the child will not be held accountable for the sin of the father.' But then you don't BELIEVE in God do you.

I know of TOO MANY CASES in my area where I KNEW the parents genuinely tried to raise the kid right and the kid WITH HIS FREE WILL just went bad. In one case, the kid would have just LOVED nothing more than to cause trouble for the parents.

Kids are NOT innocent; immature, but not innocent. They HAVE their free wills from the time they are 2 years old and will let you know all about it. THAT is the time to train that kid.
The later you wait, the harder it becomes.

Too bad the schools and the parents no longer work together, but are at odds. I know if I had gotten in trouble at school, I'd have been in trouble with my parents when I got home. Some kids were so afraid of going to the principal's office, they'd pee their pants. We didn't HAVE a lot of that nonsense.

But look what follows--lawyers, advocates, whiney, wussie parents. Well, all I can say is YOUR world now and welcome to it.
Dinah

Monkton, MD

#8 Jan 13, 2008
Mario wrote:
TEACHERS should go to prison if they hit children. As a former teacher with over seventeen experience, I've seen a lot of abuse in the system and it still sickens me to think that the law turns a blind eye to it, at least in my country. No damned wonder the kids act up - they have extrememly good role models for anti-social behaviour.
The problem is we have gone from ONE extreme to the other. We NEED a happy medium.

I am reminded of the TOTALLY IRRESPONSIBLE MOTHER and her little girl on t.v. on the news once.

The girl was taken apparently to the principal's office because she could not behave herself properly in class. So SHE assaulted the assistant principal, and whoever tried to restrain her. She jumped ALL over the desks, chairs, threw things, hit the woman trying to restrain her.

The staff didn't know what else to do so they called the child's mother, who by the way would have to take at LEAST an hour to get there. So they called the police because they didn't want to get sued. They could get sued to trying to restrain the child, and they could get sued for 'allowing her' to get hurt. So they had a TOTALLY no win situation. The girl ALSO assaulted the POLICE that came to calm her down. When they could not, they handcuffed her.

This STUPID MOTHER readily came to the child's defense, threatened to sue and had the GALL to broadcast her little situation in front of millions of people, thereby discrediting the school and the police there.

NOW we know where the KID got the behavior.

I don't see jailing the parent. BUT I do see her having to apoligize publically for embarrassing the school and the police. Further, I'd remind the mom that if she doesn't get her kid under control; the kid CANNOT come back to school. THAT should put a burr on her chair.
CaliforniansForK ids

United States

#9 Feb 3, 2008
I see it this way:

First, it is in the best interests of the child to be in school. This is not only for the child to be become a happier adult but is in the best interests of the community. More capable citizens mean less crime and a better quality of life for everyone.

Second, there needs be a cooperative effort between the school, parents, and social agencies. This whole group must somehow work together. It is the fault of the whole group if the child doesn't go to school -- not just the parents or just the teachers or just the social agencies. Each should have a defined role that they are held accountable for.

Third, we need to look for solutions based on the facts, and that is what is missing here. What are the options available for kids who have difficulty? What if the kids have ADHD or other medical problems? What if one of the parents is already incarcerated on a separate issue and the other parent is overwhelmed and working two jobs to support the family? What if there is a breakdown in the communications from teachers to parents? What if social agencies are understaffed due to governmental budget cuts?

Its not a simple answer. We need to have a system in place that will effectively evaluate the situation, examine the role being played by each of the participants, and make adjustments accordingly. Our role as citizens is to work with the community organizations and to elect people with the appropriate vision to make this happen.
Laura

United States

#10 Apr 27, 2008
big point resident wrote:
It is not the school's responsibility to teach the kids how to dress as well as it is not their responsiblity to teach the kids how to behave, the parents should be doing that. School's are here for learning history, english, math, etc. Stop blaming the schools.
gcr

United States

#11 Apr 29, 2008
Laura wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not the school's responsibility to teach the kids how to dress as well as it is not their responsiblity to teach the kids how to behave, the parents should be doing that. School's are here for learning history, english, math, etc. Stop blaming the schools.
you dont understand. noone is blaming the school. its just a point that they arent focused on education. i also dont think the school should teach how to dress, but that seems to be what is most important to them in our district anyway
oh not that again

United States

#12 Apr 29, 2008
THE ALMIGHTY ADHD/ADD CRUTCH
I know young adults who have serious psychological problems because they cannot get off the stuff in their adult lives.
They have no idea how to have self control. I feel sorry for all the children coming up that will experience the same drawbacks because the adults in their lives were too lazy to implement good discipline.We have seriously failed this next generation. Just watch what is in the future for these babies.I say parents and teachers work hard to keep children on track without drugs to depend on. My generation never heard of ADD.
I guess I would have been told that I had it too since I was hyper,but then again, NO, my parents would not have stood for that or given up that easily on me.
CaliforniansForKids wrote:
I see it this way:
First, it is in the best interests of the child to be in school. This is not only for the child to be become a happier adult but is in the best interests of the community. More capable citizens mean less crime and a better quality of life for everyone.
Second, there needs be a cooperative effort between the school, parents, and social agencies. This whole group must somehow work together. It is the fault of the whole group if the child doesn't go to school -- not just the parents or just the teachers or just the social agencies. Each should have a defined role that they are held accountable for.
Third, we need to look for solutions based on the facts, and that is what is missing here. What are the options available for kids who have difficulty? What if the kids have ADHD or other medical problems? What if one of the parents is already incarcerated on a separate issue and the other parent is overwhelmed and working two jobs to support the family? What if there is a breakdown in the communications from teachers to parents? What if social agencies are understaffed due to governmental budget cuts?
Its not a simple answer. We need to have a system in place that will effectively evaluate the situation, examine the role being played by each of the participants, and make adjustments accordingly. Our role as citizens is to work with the community organizations and to elect people with the appropriate vision to make this happen.

“Sick of Small Town Minds”

Since: May 08

Lucedale, MS

#13 May 4, 2008
I agree that there should be a cooperative between the student, parents, and teachers... and in cases where there are disagreements there should be a neutral party help out. Unfortunately that would cost the schools money and so it won't happen unless the parties involved volunteer to speak together regularly on their own time. I'm terrified of my children going to school one day but I do realize that home-schooling is NOT always the answer. And on the ADD/ADHD issue: I am a nurse. ADD/ADHD is a real disorder; HOWEVER, I personally believe that some physicians use it as an easy diagnosis when something else or perhaps nothing at all is going on with a child. Perhaps we should take a closer look before giving a child schedule II medications (which ALMOST ALL medications used to treat ADD/ADHD are). This creates drug addicts. Schedule II drugs are not candy. Ritilin and Adderall are not Flinstone Vitamins - they are powerful mood-altering DRUGS. If your child is diagnosed with ADD/ADHD or ANY condition that you, as a parent, disagree with - GET MORE THAN ONE OPINION. GET TWO. GET THREE. GET SEVENTEEN if that is what it takes - just don't start your children down a path that leads to addiction. As far as punishing parents - if a parent teaches a child that stabbing a person in the eyes is something that should be done if the person looks at the child in a way the child does not like and then buys the knives and shows the child how to use them - HELL YES that sorry parent should be punished. We all need to take into account how old the child is and how much of the behavior was taught to the child directly by the parent. It's going to be very complicated to sort through and perhaps the police/schools/attorneys/whome ver is just plain lazy. That's why there should be an advocate for every child accused of a crime - a volunteer advocate that is not paid. Someone to truly serve ONLY the child's best interests. We have rape-crisis counselors who volunteer their time and support... why not have child-crisis programs? Just an idea.
smarty

San Diego, CA

#14 Jan 22, 2009
parents shouldn't be blamed for things kds do alone
BEX

Scunthorpe, UK

#15 Mar 16, 2009
General I roneagle wrote:
im a mother of 3 and 1 stepson, the step son is 16yrs old my eldest who we are having problems with is 14yrs old,we also have a 12yr old and a 16mnth old girl, we only have trouble with the 14yr old who has AD/HD WE DO GIVE DISCIPLINE AND DO TEACH OUR CHILDREN WRONG FROM RIGHT,BUT THERE IS SO MUCH C@@P ON TV AND SEE SO MANY OTHER KIDS MISBEHAVING THAT THEY THINK IT IS RIGHT,I DO AGREE WITH SOMETHINGS YOU ARE SAYING, BUT YOU ARE PUTTING PARENTS LIKE US WHO TRY SO BLOODY HARD, TO SHAME, YES THERE IS PARENTS OUT THERE WHO DONT GIVE A MONKEYS ABOUT THEIR CHILDREN WHICH IS WHERE MY SON IS COPYING COS THE OTHER CHILDREN ARE GETTING AWAY WITH MURDER. I DO GET OF MY BUTT AND MY HUSBAND AND I DO SUPPORT THE SCHOOL, AND TRY AND WORK WITH THE CHILD WITH AD/HD.THE TEACHERS AT THE HIGH SCHOOL ARE BRILLIANT WITH HIM AND NEED A MEDAL, BUT THEY CAN ONLY DO SO MUCH...BRING BACK THE CAIN....MY OTHER CHILDREN ARE BRILLIANT AND WE HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH.
anya

Milton Keynes, UK

#16 Jun 30, 2009
I am a nursery teacher and I can honestly say I have seen a serious decline in the standards of behaviour accepted by parents. I spend much of the first three or four months of the school year covering personal, social and emotional skills that many of the children in my class seem to serverely lack. I am coming across more and more children with what is labelled EBD Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties. The early years of a childs life are those that will form the childs understanding of acceptable behaviour and most children do not have any formal education until 3 to 4 years of age. They will have then had received from their parent/ parents either a well structured consistant approach to their behaviour management or in my experience parents who do not meet problem behaviours head on preferring to divert their childs behaviour with treats/ sweets. I know there is a responsibility on my to help the child manage their behaviour and I do see some amazing changes in the behaviour of children with difficulties after a long period of time. However this requires cooperation between parent and teacher and a consistency of approach. The school must work with the full support of the parent which in my career has not always happened despite my best efforts.
wednesday friday

Fairport, NY

#17 Nov 5, 2009
i don't think parents should be responsible for their minors behavior
akthist
#18 Nov 10, 2009
I did everything right, private school, religious education. Then my husband died and we ended up in a housing estate, my eldest son is stealing cars, playing truant generaly a complete opposite of what he was. My arguement is, it's not always the parents but also the environment, the peers and the lack of support when you move from one class to another.
Thats where the problem lies not with the parents
Poochie

Mobile, AL

#19 Nov 24, 2009
The liberals are to blame for this. The kids have no respect because there are no concequences. i.e. spanking.
I'm in favor of arming teachers with tasers, but after you give them a 20% raise for putting up with your crappy kids that you let raise themselves because you are so self absorbed.
Amanda

Mayfield, KY

#20 Jan 18, 2010
they should be accountable to a certain extent

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Bay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Conservative Muslim Family looking for Section 8 Apr 9 Alla be Praised 1
News It's geaux time! Louisiana-based Rouses Markets... (Feb '14) Jan '15 FastFred 7
News The strange case of missing Brittney Wood (Jun '12) Jan '15 Just TLC 8
News Dog, team gone? (Sep '06) Sep '14 Go Blue Forever 713
Julie Flowers Markham (Sep '14) Sep '14 SouthernHo 1
News Deputies dig into suspects' pasts after man die... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Granddaughter 1
Does anybody know Gary Mathis ? (May '13) May '13 Moving Man 1
More from around the web

Grand Bay People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]