No Exemption To 180-Day Year For Gran...

No Exemption To 180-Day Year For Granby School

There are 18 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Jun 4, 2009, titled No Exemption To 180-Day Year For Granby School. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Would state Education Commissioner Mark K. McQuillan cut Granby a little slack and allow one school to finish its academic year with 178 days? The answer became clear as the afternoon wore on.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

Hold On

Vernon Rockville, CT

#1 Jun 5, 2009
Judt take them out early. That's what we are doing. There's nothing the school can do about it, since all grades are already accounted for. Again there is nothing the school can do about it at this point. Even our child's teacher said the same thing.
Not Surprised

New Haven, CT

#2 Jun 5, 2009
maybe now all these school districts will re-think February and April vacations and all these "professional development" days.

i realize i'll get slammed but other than the places where kids go year round, Ct. scholl close VERY late in comparison to other states.
Do-Right

Danielson, CT

#3 Jun 5, 2009
Stay away from Mexico, next February..
Virginia-ish

Springfield, VA

#4 Jun 5, 2009
Go figure! Another one of CT's decisions that lacks common sense
American Legion Auxiliary

Pleasanton, CA

#5 Jun 5, 2009
Tough luck if you planned your vacation at the "closing bell". Have you no common sense??? Things happen, schools close, last day of school gets delayed. What world have you been living in??? I believe the chicken little attitude toward weather and the flu may now have the administrators open their eyes and review their schedules and policies a little more closely. About half of the snow days were unnecessary! 90% of the schools that closed because of the big bad flu had no cause to. Suck it up people! The school year is 180 days. If you don't like it, move somewhere else or enroll your children in private schools.
Foolishness

Tolland, CT

#6 Jun 5, 2009
If you can't manage 180 days out of a 365 day year, you've got bigger problems. Go to school! The question never should have been brought up in the first place.
Worthless Politicians

United States

#7 Jun 5, 2009
Foolishness wrote:
If you can't manage 180 days out of a 365 day year, you've got bigger problems. Go to school! The question never should have been brought up in the first place.
Once again, our Worthless Politicians have proved that they do not represent The People!

From voting to remove the Death Penalty to not voting on a simple measure that many school systems are finding themselves in due to the H1N1, just proves that Politicians have become completely arrogant and worthless!!

Even the Polls show that most people are in favor of the Death Penalty. Congratulations on Vetoing the Bill, Honorable Governor Rell!!
NBConservative

Middletown, CT

#8 Jun 5, 2009
Arbitrary and stupid to have a mandatory 180 days. Another unfunded mandate by the state. 2 extra days in June have no bearing on a student's achievement or learning.
Blah

Shelton, CT

#9 Jun 5, 2009
God forbid our kids go to school.
a3digitiq

Binghamton, NY

#10 Jun 6, 2009
NBConservative wrote:
Arbitrary and stupid to have a mandatory 180 days. Another unfunded mandate by the state. 2 extra days in June have no bearing on a student's achievement or learning.
Make school optional, more time for the twits to hang out at the malls, surf the internet, and text message each other.
Waste of Money

East Granby, CT

#11 Jun 6, 2009
Just as this is a waste of Money...there is many ways to cut the budget next year.

1. Aask the Town to post every Town employees budget and the hours worked, and if they get benefits or not. This can be posted on the New Town website!

2. Get rid of positions like the Community Developer position, that most Towns do not have. This would save the Town over $150,000 a year. This position has done nothing for the Town of Granby!

3. Increase the Pay to Play amount for the students that want to play sports. That way some of the cost is carried by the people playing the sports.

There are many other ideas, and unless you speak up the taxes will continue to raise. Next year is still bound to be worse!

Rhode Island Red

East Granby, CT

#12 Jun 7, 2009
Not everyone works 180 school days...ech town negotiates their own calendar reflecting a minimum of 180 days. Parents always do what they think best anyway; they're not held accountable.
DJH

“Thinking critically since 1964”

Since: Mar 07

Winsted, CT

#13 Jun 8, 2009
According to the article, "Murphy called it 'a slippery slope once you begin to grant waivers.'"

I have no idea why any educated person would cite this as a reason for doing anything. The "slippery slope" is a fallacy. It is NEVER a valid reason for doing anything (or in this case, refusing to do something).

(For information on how and why the "slippery slope" is fallacious, see http://www.fallacyfiles.org/slipslop.html and http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/slip... .)

The fallacy is that one school reducing its year because of unusual circumstances, IN NO WAY requires it be done ever again. It just doesn't.

For a professional like Murphy to be guided -- by his own admission!-- by fallacious thinking, is ridiculous. He has no valid excuse for doing so, especially when he identifies his own fallacy by name.
Waste of Money

East Granby, CT

#14 Jun 8, 2009
DJH wrote:
According to the article, "Murphy called it 'a slippery slope once you begin to grant waivers.'"
I have no idea why any educated person would cite this as a reason for doing anything. The "slippery slope" is a fallacy. It is NEVER a valid reason for doing anything (or in this case, refusing to do something).
(For information on how and why the "slippery slope" is fallacious, see http://www.fallacyfiles.org/slipslop.html and http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/slip... .)
The fallacy is that one school reducing its year because of unusual circumstances, IN NO WAY requires it be done ever again. It just doesn't.
For a professional like Murphy to be guided -- by his own admission!-- by fallacious thinking, is ridiculous. He has no valid excuse for doing so, especially when he identifies his own fallacy by name.
Very well worded and/or unowrded.

Once again, a leader with an ego, so let go of my eggo...lol

When will these people with no guidance or direction step down and leave, so we can reduce the tax burden.

There is so much waste in Government that taxpayers need to revolt and ask for more information:

1. Why does Granby have a Community developer when no other Town in the area has one. At a cost of over $150,000 per year it is time to rethink this position.

2. How many Town workers work less than a 40 hour week and gets Full Benefits...you are so right time to get rid of those positions too!!

Taxpayers Unite!!!
King

East Granby, CT

#15 Jun 12, 2009
DJH wrote:
You are so right - there ios way too much corruptio. Tkae the new car lot at 522 Salmon Brook in Granby, I bet you that the proper taxes haven't been paid on those vehicles.
Also the tazes that weren;t paid on much of the work that was performed.
Looks like an investigation is required.
By the way there are more Town poistions that require elimination than that:
I agree the Community Developer has fallen short way too many timesand should be eliminated!
1, A gym that is completely worthless at the High School.
2. A middle school that was built that could never be added on to.
3. A crosswalk that no one uses, they cross at the corner with the Post Office.
4. A park, Salmon Brook that is impossible to get out of quickly.
5. A bank that was made out of the same Ugly bricks as Cumberland farms.
6. A town that does not have an Ethic Code, even the Town of Canton has adopted one. Congratulations Canton!!!
and many more....
Time for a Change!
Audrey

Enfield, CT

#16 Jun 15, 2009
I what has come to been regarded as a global pandemic does not fit the description of "extreme circumstances" then I don't know what does. The authority to waive this provision was given to the State Commissioner for a reason and his decision not to use it despite the known wishes of the community was exceedingly arrogant.
Get Real

Granby, CT

#17 Jun 20, 2009
What a bunch of whiners in Granby.
Geez-deal with it.
Spank Me

East Granby, CT

#18 Jun 20, 2009
Get Real wrote:
What a bunch of whiners in Granby.
Geez-deal with it.
That's the problem...

Please raise my Taxes...

Don't negotiate with the Techer's Union.

Please buy more land so no taxes are paid on this.

Don't increase the business base to help with Taxes!

Granby on a whole is a bunch of Drones.

Yes it is Sad, but True!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Granby Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Aloysius Royal and Life Church Mar '17 Anon 1
Home owner (Dec '16) Dec '16 Frustrated taxpayer 1
Camp Manitook (May '10) Sep '16 bettyharvey 24
News Towers Expected To Help Fill Cellphone Gaps (Jul '06) Jun '16 bill 3
News 2 Left Feet Blues Festival At Powder Ridge (Oct '15) Oct '15 bill 1
Debate: Gay Marriage - Granby, CT (Oct '11) Jul '15 Jake-O- Al 6
Granby Town Manager B. S. (Apr '14) Apr '14 Rich 1

Granby Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance