Bicyclists Hit By Drunken Driver Iden...

Bicyclists Hit By Drunken Driver Identified

There are 22 comments on the Hartford Courant story from May 27, 2008, titled Bicyclists Hit By Drunken Driver Identified. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Police have identified the bicyclists struck early Saturday morning by an 18-year-old motorist who officers say failed a field sobriety test.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Boat Man

Plainville, CT

#1 May 27, 2008
Well, it looks like the driver of the car is going to be a bicyclist next. Maybe he'll have the opportunity to get whooshed by a barely-in-control motorist. That'll wake him up more than a fine or a prison sentence. I know ... I bicycle a lot.
FUDD

United States

#2 May 27, 2008
whites and more whites..........
Ben

United States

#3 May 27, 2008
trying to save gas money and look what happens
Benny

Hartford, CT

#4 May 27, 2008
Boat Man wrote:
Well, it looks like the driver of the car is going to be a bicyclist next. Maybe he'll have the opportunity to get whooshed by a barely-in-control motorist. That'll wake him up more than a fine or a prison sentence. I know ... I bicycle a lot.
Yeah right! This is Connecticut, home of "Judge Lite" .. He'll be driving again in a week.
Mat Lock

Wethersfield, CT

#5 May 27, 2008
Typical day in the suburbs, teenagers trying to run over everybody they can.
Retired

Monmouth, ME

#6 May 27, 2008
Whats missing from the charges ? Is the drinking age still 21 or did they lower it to 18 years old ??? No charges for underage drinking now that funny....Or is it ? Only thing that will stop this is a nice cold ,wet cell block for awhile. That will give him time to think. Oh wait CT has the Hilton for there jail mates....Wake Up !!
Tim Coleman

Windsor, CT

#7 May 27, 2008
Let's check the facts again.
Another teenage boy, hits two cyclists at 7:am on a Saturday Morning on a wide rural road,severely injuring them, he tries to evade responsibility. Oh yeah and he's drunk.
When are we going to awake from this nighmare. No one is safe from them. How many more deaths does it take till we realize that boys and cars do not mix.
Bob

Litchfield, CT

#8 May 27, 2008
these guys were probably like the cyclists i see on route 179 in canton everyday riding in the middle of the road. i dont mind sharing the road but man some of these cyclists swear they own it. GET OUT OF THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD
Joe

United States

#9 May 27, 2008
That's why I won't go bicycling. It's much too dangerous.
Mat Lock

Wethersfield, CT

#10 May 27, 2008
Bob wrote:
these guys were probably like the cyclists i see on route 179 in canton everyday riding in the middle of the road. i dont mind sharing the road but man some of these cyclists swear they own it. GET OUT OF THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD
You don't own it either. In fact bikes should have the right of way. Cars are a drain on society.
Sluggo

United States

#12 May 27, 2008
ONLY 15 K to stay out of the clink ? I'll bet he was out in time to see McDonalds flip from the breaakfast menu to lunch. The young man must be a well respected member of the community. Either that or very well connected. I say NO bail, NO bond, stay in jail until the victim is out of the hospital.
Canton Cyclist

United States

#13 May 28, 2008
This DRUNK driver crossed over the yellow line and hit the cyclists head on who were on the shoulder of the opposite side of the road. Some drivers also think they own the road, but that doesn't mean they deserved to be hit by a drunk driver.

...And I ride my bike on 179 all the time. Please wave the next time you see me. I don't ride in the middle of the road. I ride a close a practical to the right as the law requires, and if that means taking the lane for because of lack of shoulder I am going to do so.
Bob wrote:
these guys were probably like the cyclists i see on route 179 in canton everyday riding in the middle of the road. i dont mind sharing the road but man some of these cyclists swear they own it. GET OUT OF THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD
Micaly

East Granby, CT

#14 May 28, 2008
Good point--this is a tragic situation and I feel bad for all of them. The driver made a series of bad decisions that have resulted in 2 innocent people suffering.

I'm glad you're a conscientious biker. Unfortunately, so many are not and that's really a shame. Bikers are at such risk of being hit, they need to be as cautious as possible. So many bad bikers give the good ones a bad name.
Canton Cyclist wrote:
This DRUNK driver crossed over the yellow line and hit the cyclists head on who were on the shoulder of the opposite side of the road. Some drivers also think they own the road, but that doesn't mean they deserved to be hit by a drunk driver.
...And I ride my bike on 179 all the time. Please wave the next time you see me. I don't ride in the middle of the road. I ride a close a practical to the right as the law requires, and if that means taking the lane for because of lack of shoulder I am going to do so.
<quoted text>
Anonymous

Wallingford, CT

#15 May 29, 2008
This is not unexpected from this kid. He and his friends are some of the biggest partiers of this town. Instead of looking into the kids behavior, maybe we should look into the parents, because everything stems from them. And the sad thing is that I doubt he learned his lesson and will end up doing something like this again.
OCR

East Hampton, CT

#16 Jun 3, 2008
You're right, do something safer like eating chips in front of the TV.
Joe wrote:
That's why I won't go bicycling. It's much too dangerous.
Local Cyclist

Newington, CT

#17 Jun 3, 2008
An under aged drunk driver who left two guys to die on the side of the road at 7AM, what is wrong with this picture? There are more and more folks on bike for recreation, fitness, and/or for environmental or economic reasons. I wish the victims the best and their family in this difficult time. I am curious to see what the judge's decision is.
Awally

Westminster, MA

#18 Jun 3, 2008
Mat Lock wrote:
Typical day in the suburbs, teenagers trying to run over everybody they can.
Good thing they can't read, thanks to our excellent skool cystum. Otherwise they might be offended by your callous remarqx.
granbyyyy

Westfield, MA

#19 Jun 3, 2008
Sluggo wrote:
ONLY 15 K to stay out of the clink ? I'll bet he was out in time to see McDonalds flip from the breaakfast menu to lunch. The young man must be a well respected member of the community. Either that or very well connected. I say NO bail, NO bond, stay in jail until the victim is out of the hospital.
it seems that you didn't read any of the other articles besides the one in the courant. The hartford courant printed that his bail was only 15 thousand but every other source said it was $150. Also, I don't think you should be making assumptions about how connected you think he may be. I don't think any of you know him or the situation, so maybe it would be more respectful if you didn't make assumptions about his life.
Sluggo

United States

#20 Jun 3, 2008
I only know what I read in the Courant. You are right, I do not know him. That does not make a difference. I do know the situation, as reported in the Hartford Courant. The suspect hit two bicylists, took off, and when found was drunk. So say the police, and so believed by me. I have the compassion to rehabilitate the poor lad. But do not label him as misguided and merely send him on his way.
Outlaw

Round Rock, TX

#21 Jun 9, 2008
He needs to spend some time in the slammer, I've been there, and nothing says "wake up" like a correction officer with sh*t for breakfast every morning, nasty smelling inmates who bathe once every couple days only bc made to, and an orange jump suit. No girlfriends, No friends, No way out. After his stint in the slammer, he should be made to ride a bike, not even a moped, pedal his as* off everywhere he has to travel to fully realize what he did and what cyclist go through. Minimum of 5 years.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Granby Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Home owner Dec 1 Frustrated taxpayer 1
Camp Manitook (May '10) Sep '16 bettyharvey 24
News Towers Expected To Help Fill Cellphone Gaps (Jul '06) Jun '16 bill 3
News 2 Left Feet Blues Festival At Powder Ridge (Oct '15) Oct '15 bill 1
Debate: Gay Marriage - Granby, CT (Oct '11) Jul '15 Jake-O- Al 6
Granby Town Manager B. S. (Apr '14) Apr '14 Rich 1
News Former Granby Police Captain David Bourque Expe... (Jul '11) Mar '14 Dead Pig 5

Granby Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Granby Mortgages