Local parents are wasting their breath

Local parents are wasting their breath

There are 6 comments on the Daily Democrat story from Feb 18, 2009, titled Local parents are wasting their breath. In it, Daily Democrat reports that:

Parent Teresa Campos told the Woodland School Board last week that if Grafton Elementary School closes down she'll have to wake up her five children at 4 a.m. each school day to get them to the bus.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Democrat.

Just wondering

Auburn, CA

#2 Feb 20, 2009
Would we have more money for these schools to operate if the new administration building had not been purchased? Where are the sacrifices at the upper level?
its sad

AOL

#3 Feb 20, 2009
This decision doesnt surprise me because california is in a real bad shape right now and there is no money. Sadly to say, this is the goveror's fault because of the budget crisis. Everyone is cutting back and that means even schools have to do some cutting back even if that means closing down two schools to try and save money. I understand that this might be a hard pill to swallow, but it may be the only solution.
Yolo County Resident

United States

#4 Feb 20, 2009
If the school district mission is to provide children within the district a quality education the main focus of their efforts should be teaching and keeping existing schools open. If district officials looked at all of the options available to them they could find a better solution than closing schools. An alternative to building a new school site is to use existing school sites with two different school schedules. A morning schedule and an afternoon schedule. That is if district residents are willing to sacrifice and school board members are willing to think outside the box.
my thought

Fairfield, CA

#5 Feb 20, 2009
Would this be a good time to think about year-round teaching for more of our schools? I know the idea meets with "Not for my kid" replies, but that is mostly because we tend to dislike change.

Actually, the benefits do outweigh the challenges.
to my thought

AOL

#6 Feb 20, 2009
I think there are some schools here in woodland that does year round schooling already like Tafoya and maybe a few more.
my thought

United States

#7 Feb 20, 2009
I believe that the one on Stetson Drive is too.

It seems to me that we could save some school funds by not having a school empty for 3 months, and if some schools are actually unfit for use, it would make room for more students without over-crowding.

However, never having had a child on year round school, I can only depend on statistics and what I've read. I haven't experienced it myself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grafton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for a local sports cards/photos collector Feb 14 SHCP 1
Lisa Marie Sexton/Missing since 1981 (Dec '09) Feb 7 amos 194
News Ariel gears for Black History Month - 8:25 pm u... Feb 2 Tyronne 2
searching (Jan '16) Jan 30 Still searching 3
News North Ridgeville's Avalon Drive is a target of ... Jan '18 Kam 1
News Woman, 60, run over by semiWoman listed in seri... Dec '17 Joyce McKenty 2
Medina County Auditor Mike Kovack does a great ... (Jun '14) Dec '17 TrustyShellBack 17

Grafton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grafton Mortgages