First Prev
of 2
Next Last
The Shadow

New York, NY

#25 Jan 7, 2013
Oh good grief, and I suppose then, following your "logic" because the police occasionally drive through snow, then they should have snowmobiles too, or half-tracks, maybe? A PD in a village the size of Gouverneur does not, IMO, need an "interceptor" style, RWD sedan as a primary duty vehicle. An SUV with the appropriate upgrades to the rear end and air intake system will accelerate adequately and easily reach 100 MPH, if that's your concern, and has an additional 6 inches of clearance over any police sedan built since the mid 80s. Modern SUVs are also arguably safer, provide better visibility both for the officer(s) and civilians because they sit higher, afford more room for transport of persons and gear, and if need be, can provide a better defensive shield from projectiles.
buck

Gouverneur, NY

#26 Jan 7, 2013
The Shadow wrote:
Oh good grief, and I suppose then, following your "logic" because the police occasionally drive through snow, then they should have snowmobiles too, or half-tracks, maybe? A PD in a village the size of Gouverneur does not, IMO, need an "interceptor" style, RWD sedan as a primary duty vehicle. An SUV with the appropriate upgrades to the rear end and air intake system will accelerate adequately and easily reach 100 MPH, if that's your concern, and has an additional 6 inches of clearance over any police sedan built since the mid 80s. Modern SUVs are also arguably safer, provide better visibility both for the officer(s) and civilians because they sit higher, afford more room for transport of persons and gear, and if need be, can provide a better defensive shield from projectiles.
Projectiles - good grief their shadow. Go box yourself and maybe you will win that one.
The Shadow

New York, NY

#27 Jan 7, 2013
It's "there", and if that's the only thing you have to offer, then maybe it's you who's lost, and not merely in the present discussion.
jim

United States

#28 Jan 8, 2013
I just think that in hard times money should be spent wisely. It is easy to want more and more when the tax payers are paying for it. If they had to take a pay cut to have the new car. I bet they could have gotten by with the old one. Hey maybe Gouverneur needs a S.W.A.T. team. why not the tax payers are paying for it.
The Shadow

New York, NY

#29 Jan 8, 2013
Our tax dollars should always be spent wisely, regardless of the times. The Village made a grave mistake by offering employees defined benefit pensions and health insurance that you or I couldn't afford, and THAT'S what is breaking us. Sadly, the only way to end those burdens is either through the renegotiation of contracts, which will not go well, or via municipal bankruptcy. The latter is, unfortunately, what I think will have to happen before the local economic climate ever begins to improve.
Randy Andy

Ithaca, NY

#31 Jan 8, 2013
The Shadow wrote:
Our tax dollars should always be spent wisely, regardless of the times. The Village made a grave mistake by offering employees defined benefit pensions and health insurance that you or I couldn't afford, and THAT'S what is breaking us. Sadly, the only way to end those burdens is either through the renegotiation of contracts, which will not go well, or via municipal bankruptcy. The latter is, unfortunately, what I think will have to happen before the local economic climate ever begins to improve.
If you knew anything you would know there is no choice on pension. Its NY state required. DUH!!
jim

United States

#32 Jan 9, 2013
It's Gouverneur. Not N.Y.C. We enjoy a very low crime rate. Between the county and state police we are as well protected as we can be. I dont know if they still have the police blotter or not. but if you ever read it. you must be able to see. that they dont really have a purpose. The cost is way to much for what we get. it is nice to have them for funeral precessions. how many officers do we need in this small town. i do know that police are needed. i respect the police. a lot of them are outstanding people. i also need a car. i dont need ten cars. but i would take ten cars if someone else was buying them.
wow

Gouverneur, NY

#33 Jan 9, 2013
jim wrote:
It's Gouverneur. Not N.Y.C. We enjoy a very low crime rate. Between the county and state police we are as well protected as we can be. I dont know if they still have the police blotter or not. but if you ever read it. you must be able to see. that they dont really have a purpose. The cost is way to much for what we get. it is nice to have them for funeral precessions. how many officers do we need in this small town. i do know that police are needed. i respect the police. a lot of them are outstanding people. i also need a car. i dont need ten cars. but i would take ten cars if someone else was buying them.
Exactly Jim - exactly. You see them sitting idle all over town just conversing with friends - burnign fuel and tax dollars. We have a over compensated and over staffed police force who are spending too much money and we are fitting the bill. There is a police blotter and they should get rid of it. It stated about 9 instances in 30 days with 150 hours of overtime included. What a waste. I do agree that police are needed, but that the size of the force we have.
go figure

United States

#34 Jan 9, 2013
we are also paying the dispatchers to be on Facebook all night. both of the two new part timers Knowlton and Patten are on there for their whole shift.
u wish

United States

#35 Jan 9, 2013
go figure wrote:
we are also paying the dispatchers to be on Facebook all night. both of the two new part timers Knowlton and Patten are on there for their whole shift.
lets see if you had there job you would do any different then them ..... What you going to do look at the phone all night and just hope it rings dumb ass lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gouverneur Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where is Shane DeShane???💔 (Sep '15) Wed Luna Tic 12
ST. Lawrence County Pistol Permit Tue Riparian 7
Bri stiles from hermon May 23 Frank 2
Medical Pot in Gouverneur (May '15) May 22 Fuzzies boy 24
motercycle accident ?? May 20 Quater master 4
Auto repair shops May 15 Been there 33
Vfw bartender May 14 Haha 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Gouverneur Mortgages