First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Res

Gouverneur, NY

#1 Dec 28, 2012
Did they really need to get another brand new cop car?!
Donald Robinson

Gouverneur, NY

#2 Dec 28, 2012
Res wrote:
Did they really need to get another brand new cop car?!
Well the other one was way overmilage. You do have to replace cars now and then.

Whats the matter, they bust you now you don't like them?
YouKnow

Gouverneur, NY

#3 Jan 4, 2013
Way over mileage? The old cop car which you still see running has no problems. What is the sense of spending more money on a new car? The jurisdiction that the police maintain is not very large, if the mileage is to high and compromises the function of the vehicle i would look more to the officers and there use of the car. State Police and The Sheriff's vehicles are up and running and they have a much more wider area to cover and they have not replaced there's.

That is my opinion.....
cold hard facts

Gouverneur, NY

#4 Jan 4, 2013
YouKnow wrote:
Way over mileage? The old cop car which you still see running has no problems. What is the sense of spending more money on a new car? The jurisdiction that the police maintain is not very large, if the mileage is to high and compromises the function of the vehicle i would look more to the officers and there use of the car. State Police and The Sheriff's vehicles are up and running and they have a much more wider area to cover and they have not replaced there's.
That is my opinion.....
Really? Have you looked at the age of SP or SLC Sheriff cars lately compared to the car GPD replaced?
Dinks

Gouverneur, NY

#5 Jan 4, 2013
How can the cop cars get much mileage by sitting in youngs diveway or the fire station all the time?
Da Police

Gouverneur, NY

#6 Jan 5, 2013
Why shucks, we have to drive to get them thar doughnuts too.
jim

United States

#7 Jan 6, 2013
why not put it to a vote. Do we get rid of or keep the village police. after all it is the tax payers that pay them and pay for the cars the uniforms the heat and lights the retirements the insurance and everything else. Are they worth it or not. Let the people vote. don't let just a few make up all of our minds. if they were keep i say put one in all the schools. in the event that something in dire need of an officer happens they can leave from the school. i dont care if some get away with not wearing their seat belt or talking on their phone. plus the state police are always in the village. i know they say they dont have time. but i see them all the time in the village. i have seen them many times with people stopped. we only need so much law enforcement. put it to a village wide vote and then what ever way it goes we will live with it. simple. let the people that it cost decide.
cold hard facts

Gouverneur, NY

#8 Jan 6, 2013
You get a vote on the police department every year you doufass. Its called an election. You elect your trustee's, they are the ones who have the authority to disband the police. So talk to them and express your feelings.

We don't need a separate vote, you uneducated idiot.
OMG

Syracuse, NY

#9 Jan 6, 2013
Both "Jim" and "cold hard facts" are wrong. First of all the trustees do not have the authority to disband the police. The folks have to petition and request the trustees put it up for public referendum. Then it is put up for public vote. Remember not all voters are tax payers (ie those residing in Cambray Courts, Pine Grove, Butternut Hill, Sleepy Hollow, Larch Circle, etc though the business entity pays taxes). So Jim those who pay for it do not get to entirely decide. There is a specific process for public referendum so Jim if you feel so strongly about it do it. I personally am not because I think we need our police department.
SLC

Gouverneur, NY

#11 Jan 6, 2013
How about we get rid of the state trooper barracks? Support your locals. Businesses. PD. We are paying more in state taxes for the 30 state police that are routinely in Gouverneur.
cold hard facts

Gouverneur, NY

#12 Jan 6, 2013
OMG wrote:
Both "Jim" and "cold hard facts" are wrong. First of all the trustees do not have the authority to disband the police. The folks have to petition and request the trustees put it up for public referendum. Then it is put up for public vote. Remember not all voters are tax payers (ie those residing in Cambray Courts, Pine Grove, Butternut Hill, Sleepy Hollow, Larch Circle, etc though the business entity pays taxes). So Jim those who pay for it do not get to entirely decide. There is a specific process for public referendum so Jim if you feel so strongly about it do it. I personally am not because I think we need our police department.
Yep, your one of the uneducated idiots. The trustees can take a vote tommorrow and the GPD is gone. Why you think they can't amazes me.

Tell your trutee, thats what they get elected for. Unless the trustees vote to bring it to the public in a referendum, there is no way for you to bring one.
OMG

Syracuse, NY

#13 Jan 6, 2013
The reality is the trustees can NOT just abolish the PD. The final say is still in the voters hands.
cold hard facts

Gouverneur, NY

#15 Jan 6, 2013
OMG wrote:
The reality is the trustees can NOT just abolish the PD. The final say is still in the voters hands.
OK, lets see if you can understand this. I will say this in simple sentences.

The village trustees can abolish any office that is not constitutionally protected. All they have to do is either not fund them or pass a resolution to disband them.

If they do it as part of the budget there is no appeal, no referendum, nothing its a done deal. Village law does not call for referendums on the budget, nor does it allow a permissive referendum.

If they were to deceide by a separate resolution to disband the police, then under village law, article 9 a voter could bring a petition for a permissive referendum. To do that you would have to circulate a petition that gets 20 percent of the voters of the village to sign the petition within 30 days of the resolution vote and submit it to the village clerk.

Do you understand now the trustees can just vote and the PD is gone? Did I explain it simple enough for you?

There are approx 3000 registered voters in the village. At a minimum you would need 600, in reality you should get 900, 1 third more than minimum to accout for errors, wrote info, etc.

Good luck getting that in 30 days.
buck

Richville, NY

#16 Jan 7, 2013
SLC wrote:
How about we get rid of the state trooper barracks? Support your locals. Businesses. PD. We are paying more in state taxes for the 30 state police that are routinely in Gouverneur.
Why would you want to get rid of the ones that seem to actually care and are proud to wear a uniform? You read and see acts of kindness, care and concern by the Troopers. You only get stared down by the village police. They ride around talking on cell phones with sunglasses at night...collars up and looking very cool in their eyes. They feel superior and act it. Last I knew they were there to serve and protect and not stare and disrepect. They don't do shit unless they have to. I would rather see Young at the fire station doing double duty than Whitton stopping and talking to friends all over town for a cigarette. Lorainna - i have never heard a complaint about her or have seen her doing anything untrustworthy. Tsecko - he is MIA and sitting at home counting pennies I guess.
jim

United States

#17 Jan 7, 2013
cold hard facts wrote:
You get a vote on the police department every year you doufass. Its called an election. You elect your trustee's, they are the ones who have the authority to disband the police. So talk to them and express your feelings.
We don't need a separate vote, you uneducated idiot.
I can tell that you are much smarter than me. I cant believe that you cant see that we have way more police in Gouv. than we need. and that it is easy to waste other peoples money. i may be nuts but i think some other dumb people see it also. also while expressing my opinion i would never resort to name calling. that type of communication says a lot about a person.
The Shadow

Gouverneur, NY

#18 Jan 7, 2013
The Village needs a full time Police Department. What we don't need is a "20 years and out" retirement policy that includes full health insurance and a "defined benefit" retirement plan. Paying for those are what's breaking the backs of the taxpayers, not the salaries, vehicles, uniforms etc. And if I could get back to the original topic, I think the PD would be wise to move away from the whole "police interceptor"-type vehicle like the current Chargers, and instead buy a much more practical 4WD, SUV-type vehicle. That makes more sense to me, at least.
buck

Richville, NY

#19 Jan 7, 2013
The Shadow wrote:
The Village needs a full time Police Department. What we don't need is a "20 years and out" retirement policy that includes full health insurance and a "defined benefit" retirement plan. Paying for those are what's breaking the backs of the taxpayers, not the salaries, vehicles, uniforms etc. And if I could get back to the original topic, I think the PD would be wise to move away from the whole "police interceptor"-type vehicle like the current Chargers, and instead buy a much more practical 4WD, SUV-type vehicle. That makes more sense to me, at least.
What? More practical? How? Going to a 4WD SUV for a village police force would cost twice as much in gas and have more things to go wrong with them in repairs. I guess they could chase people into yards, etc.( joke ).
The Shadow

Gouverneur, NY

#20 Jan 7, 2013
Check your facts. The base model 6 cylinder Charger only gets 18 MPG around town. The 8 cylinders are even worse, maybe 15 MPG at best. That's about the same as many mid-sized 8 cylinder SUVs.

Compare that to Ford Escape Hybrid AWD or the Chevy Tahoe 4WD Hybrid, which get 30 and 20 MPG respectively around town, and are a helluva lot better driving in the snow. Now I'm not saying that the GPD should be using hybrid vehicles, at least not yet, but they should be looking at options other than a RWD high-speed pursuit vehicles, whose value only becomes apparent on open-road and highway chases. They don't make sense for a village police force, especially one that gets snow 4-5 months of the year.
lookupthelaw

Gouverneur, NY

#21 Jan 7, 2013
buck wrote:
<quoted text>What? More practical? How? Going to a 4WD SUV for a village police force would cost twice as much in gas and have more things to go wrong with them in repairs. I guess they could chase people into yards, etc.( joke ).
Why would an SUV have more things go wrong with them in repairs? Doesn't make much sense.
buck

Richville, NY

#22 Jan 7, 2013
The Shadow wrote:
Check your facts. The base model 6 cylinder Charger only gets 18 MPG around town. The 8 cylinders are even worse, maybe 15 MPG at best. That's about the same as many mid-sized 8 cylinder SUVs.
Compare that to Ford Escape Hybrid AWD or the Chevy Tahoe 4WD Hybrid, which get 30 and 20 MPG respectively around town, and are a helluva lot better driving in the snow. Now I'm not saying that the GPD should be using hybrid vehicles, at least not yet, but they should be looking at options other than a RWD high-speed pursuit vehicles, whose value only becomes apparent on open-road and highway chases. They don't make sense for a village police force, especially one that gets snow 4-5 months of the year.
Go check the price of a hybrid or 4WD SUV equipped for a police force versus the charger. They have chaced people out of the village limits before and that high pursuit has come in handy!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gouverneur Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
awwww 1 hr beth 2
help me find my long lost sister (Feb '11) Jul 5 Deana Daniels wiley 12
Red Dodge Ram Jun 24 Frank 10
Gouverneur Tribune Jun 24 village resident 4
Donut Shop Jun 21 wondering 3
does any body know greg fifield (Jul '11) Jun 21 muhahaha 27
Cemetery on Upper Grove Street Jun 21 burial desecration 10
More from around the web

Gouverneur People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE