Boys JV & VARSITY basketball
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
gigity gigity goo!

Moravia, NY

#21 Feb 10, 2012
From the Stands wrote:
I personally believe that Coach Typhair did well this year. Sure, there were a few games when more players could've played more, but overall it is the coaches decision. My son has never played before and learned a ton this season. He understands when he doesn't get to play, especially when a game is won by free throws in the last seconds. Others on the team never played before either, I can't speak for them, but my son really respects Coach Typhair. For this reason I do too, I look forward to tonights game and enjoyed this entire season. As a side note, after seeing some of the officiating, I can understand how a coach becomes energized, a few of the games were officiated so poorly, I was ready to hit the floor. Thanks.
who's your son?? It's also my first year
Wrong

Utica, NY

#22 Feb 15, 2012
Do you all have children on the team? I do on varsity and after almost every game he is ashamed and quite disappointed. Its easy to say the goal of a team is unity, teaching togetherness and skills that will last a lifetime when you're at least winning sometimes. I agree with the other person that said its hard for them to have respect for the coaches and for everyone to get along when they're making such bad decisions. Last night I was told they could only move a choice few up from JV and they moved up a 9nth grader because he's a favorite, not because of his playing ability. Just as our children need to respect their elders and coaches, they need to return the respect for these kids that are working hard, and use some common sense.
From the Stands

Watertown, NY

#23 Feb 15, 2012
Wow, what a great game against Messena last Friday night for the JV!! When the lay-up missed it sounded like the JV Cats won the Superbowl. Congratulations to the young men for a great season. I'm aleady excited for next year!!
Wrong

Utica, NY

#24 Feb 15, 2012
It was a great game. Got a bit worried when he went right in for the layup but thankfully missed it! Was good to see the boys that happy.
PARENT OF HIGH SCHOOL KID

Utica, NY

#25 Feb 15, 2012
Wrong wrote:
Do you all have children on the team? I do on varsity and after almost every game he is ashamed and quite disappointed. Its easy to say the goal of a team is unity, teaching togetherness and skills that will last a lifetime when you're at least winning sometimes. I agree with the other person that said its hard for them to have respect for the coaches and for everyone to get along when they're making such bad decisions. Last night I was told they could only move a choice few up from JV and they moved up a 9nth grader because he's a favorite, not because of his playing ability. Just as our children need to respect their elders and coaches, they need to return the respect for these kids that are working hard, and use some common sense.
I don't know any of the kids from the jv team but that is not fair to move them up the varsity played all year without them let them finish on their own. And no-one on the team should be favorites because NO ONE is better than anyone else. I am sorry but if they were better we'd be winning. I understand not being happy they didn't win, but moving up the jv is an INSULT the the varsity players and they should voice their opiion to the coach not just act like its ok. And as for that 9th grader, section X rules once you play a varsity sport your their can't go back to jv so that means the jv team does not have him next year and that spot should have gone to a 10th grader only by rights, what are these coaches teaching this kids?

“I could be wrong.”

Since: Apr 11

The Internet

#26 Feb 15, 2012
PARENT OF HIGH SCHOOL KID wrote:
what are these coaches teaching this kids?
They're teaching them this:
Oh Plz wrote:
Yes, there are other reasons to join a team but let me tell you, the first and foremost is winning.
not happy either

Utica, NY

#27 Feb 15, 2012
I also have a son on the varisity team and he is pissed that they brought up the jv he likes the kids but not fair and your right it's an INSULT.
Wrong

Utica, NY

#28 Feb 15, 2012
I think they bring the J.V up every year but I agree that it would cause a lot less hard feelings if they wouldnt, as someone said win or lose they should finish off the year with the team they started with. I just know my son is not happy and from what I've heard none of them are from either team but what they're more upset about the 9nth grader moving up than the others because as a favorite they're hearing they will play him. As for section X rules, he's actually already played with them and he only had to sit out a game to go back down to JV but the coaches have made an ass out of the kid, they've managed to make both teams angry with the boy and its not actually his fault. He just wants to play, you cant blame him for that.
not happy either

Utica, NY

#29 Feb 15, 2012
dont blame him for wanting to play, but HE could also say NO its causing anger issues and I'd rather not. The heuvelton tournament doesn't matter because it was not a league game or playoff. I just hope that this does not effect the JV team next year as he is a good baskettball player and he could be better with time. I hope they win tonight for the sake of the team, But I also hope this year may be a lesson learned for some of the higher ups, I did hear that Dixon made a statement to a couple of kids at the last game because they were making some kind of noise when the other team didn't make their baskets. He said something like "We already are embarrassed and we look like fools stop making the noise you making us look like idiots. Were not syracuse baskettball." If this is true no wonder why our teachers are treating the kids this way when higher ups do it also. I wish someone would start a group like the moms did on here to watch this site. We need a group that goes to the boards. the community should be involved with all sports coaches there should be interviews and not just you did it last year so you can do it again. I know for a fact that young gordon wanted to coach a few years ago and they told him he didn't have exzperience he works with potsdam state baskettball camp every year has for 6 years or so and has a certificate for coaching. I wouln't have the time to be in charge but I think iwould join as I have three kids in sports and would gladly be involved. LETS HOPE FOR A BETTER FUTURE FOR OUR KIDS. Oh and they have not brought up the jv in quite sometime this is the first in awhile.
Oh plz

Utica, NY

#30 Feb 15, 2012
Reading all this has me quite concerned. I thought I was one of few with issues. I guess not. I agree that we should have some sort of line to the coaches, even if its only email to voice our concerns. I personally dont say anything because I fear that my opinions or concern will cause my son issues and I dont want that, so I just stay quiet. But seeing I'm not the only one concerned with the way the program is going actually makes me sad for our boys. Not happy, I also heard Mr. Dixon had said something of the sort to one of the boys dressed in the colored suits, which unfortunately does not surprise me and just like wrong I had a son graduate a few years ago who played on the team and they brought the boys up both years he played varsity, I just assumed also they did it every year when the JV season ended? They dont?
From the Stands

Watertown, NY

#31 Feb 16, 2012
Have any of you actually talked to the coaches personally? I have on numerous occassions, they are very approachable and receptive if not yelled at. They are far from perfect, but I know they care for their players and students in general. Their methods may not always show it to someone looking in from the outside, but they do care! Thanks.
rhrh

Union, NJ

#32 Aug 24, 2012
not happy either wrote:
I also have a son on the varisity team and he is pissed that they brought up the jv he likes the kids but not fair and your right it's an INSULT.
Well, my son was on a freshman team last year, and was brought up to JV because he was scoring 75% of the points for the freshman team. Now he finds out the JV players were as you said insulted, and said that it happened because someone told the athletic director that they better move him up.
From our point of view, it was politics that kept him on the freshman team in the first place, so there is no insult. All of this is based on ability supposedly, so if your kid is pissed that a JV player was brought up to varsity, maybe instead they should look into the mirror and figure out how they messed up. Or, if they are a starter, they should look at how good it is to have new blood.
Hmm

Utica, NY

#33 Aug 26, 2012
Well that's sad, Troys Mom/Dad. Since you got into particulars defending him let me tell you something. We all know Troy can play, he's good, we get that but bringing a 9nth grader up to the Varsity team isn't right, whether he can play or not. We know our boys aren't joining the NBA anytime soon but since 3rd grade they've had to work their way up, grade by grade. I understand this year being in tenth a possible move up, it's understandable but when the boys aren't heading to States anytime soon with or without Troy, let them be. They resent him when it's not exactly his fault. It could have been handled better by the coaches is all were saying. Also the moving up and down makes it worse. If both the coaches and your family believe he's good enough for Varsity then that's where he should have stayed. Not thrown back when he wasn't needed to a team the boys felt he didn't even want to be on. Again, it could of been handled with some actual thought a hell of a lot better. All the coaches need to start interacting, even if it's privately or anonomously with the parents. They don't have to do what we say, but they should at least listen to how we feel.
HAAAAAAAAAA

Utica, NY

#34 Aug 27, 2012
It's gonna be a joke just like every year, WE NEED NEW BASKETBALL COACHES we have enough players no need to move anyone up. We have new princeable, new superintendant new athletic director maybe this year something can be done. Hopefully the girls willget some good tips from the WOMENS NBA PLAYER WE NOW HAVE ACCESS TO IN OUR TOWN. The boys could use some help also. NOW JUST TO GET THE CHEERLEADERS TO HAVE SOME ENERGY FOR THE TEAMS, MAYBE GET THE BAND TO HAVE AA FEW MEMEBERS FOR A PEP TEAM SINCE WE NOW HAVE A NEW LEADER FOR THAT.
An old wildcat

Madison, NY

#35 Aug 27, 2012
Good thing the wrestling team keeps winning year after year
A Few Facts

United States

#36 Sep 2, 2012
I realize this is an old post, but after reading this, I feel the need to respond. However, not the first time a parent thought he/she knew something about sports rules and was wrong.

PARENT OF HIGH SCHOOL KID
Gouverneur, NY

"And as for that 9th grader, section X rules once you play a varsity sport your their can't go back to jv so that means the jv team does not have him next year and that spot should have gone to a 10th grader only by rights, what are these coaches teaching this kids?"

Obviously by posting the above, you know nothing about high school sports. They don't apply from season to season, only within a season. The 9th grader can still play JV next year. Plus, maybe the 9th grader deserved to go for other reasons. Hard work at practice, team player, etc. Unless you were at every practice, on every bus trip, at every game, etc., you do not know the circumstances. Don't make judgements unless you have all of the facts.
Nice

Ithaca, NY

#37 Dec 7, 2012
Good game last night varsity boys!
annoyed

Gouverneur, NY

#38 Dec 7, 2012
I am on the team and coach typhair does not say anything bad I would know and we do have fun so I say u should stop running your mouth
annoyed

Gouverneur, NY

#39 Dec 7, 2012
The only reason he was suppended was because he was trying to protect us (the players) because they were not calling fouls

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gouverneur Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
kaitlyn redmond (Feb '12) 10 hr Morons 5
Any one wana trade nudies (May '12) Fri Mrchewtoy 10
Foo Fighters to play Gouverneur Fair Fri SlimboyFat 6
Her booty thogh ❤❤ Thu Kyerstin 14
Emily Dehart.... Thu Yuck 10
Brandon Garrett? Aug 16 bobs_burgers 3
Kyerstin Cole/ Skyler Rusin Aug 15 Kyerstin 6

Gouverneur Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance