Boys JV & VARSITY basketball

Posted in the Gouverneur Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
TERRIBLE

Watertown, NY

#1 Feb 8, 2012
I have been to every home game and they are horrible, I think it's time to get new coaches. Typher throws things breaks things while yelling at the boys. Walked by the locker room last home game and could not believe the stuff commming out of his mouth, they keep loosing and he keeps playing the same players he has done it for years, time to play the bench cuz your favorites just don't cut it. Young needs to space out his players and work with them because they only have to good players and they leave this year. Can't believe how bad they have lost their games. The boys don't even look like they are having fun anymore, it would be nice to win but it's nicer to watch ALL the kids on the team play and enjoy themselves. CAN'T HURT WERE NOT WINNING ANYWAYS.
AND I AM SURE I WILL GET SLACK FOR NOT BEING BEHIND OUR TEAM, BUT EVERYONE IN THE STANDS SAYS THE SAME THING GETTING BORING TO WATCH THE SAME PLAYER PLAY OVER AND OVER AND NOT EVEN WIN. TIME FOR A CHANGE.

“I could be wrong.”

Since: Apr 11

The Internet

#2 Feb 9, 2012
TERRIBLE wrote:
I have been to every home game and they are horrible, I think it's time to get new coaches. Typher throws things breaks things while yelling at the boys.
If he does this during a game, get some video of it on your phone and post it on Youtube, then link to it here.

You won't need to tell people he's a terrible coach, all you'll have to do is just show people the video of how he acts and let them decide for themselves.
TERRIBLE

Watertown, NY

#3 Feb 9, 2012
I won't resort to petty utube stuff thats for kids, I don't even have children in the school system anymore my daughter graduated in 2002. I have sent emails and spoke with Grafalo and nothing has been done. He has already been suspend from two games because of his conduct at another schoolduring a game. They can see it but our school is blind. The teachers stick together and there is nothing we can do as citizens of the community. TRIED GOT NO WHERE.

“I could be wrong.”

The Internet

#4 Feb 9, 2012
TERRIBLE wrote:
I have sent emails and spoke with Grafalo and nothing has been done. He has already been suspend from two games because of his conduct at another schoolduring a game. They can see it but our school is blind.
It's easy to discount a complaint or an email, especially if it only comes from a few people. Video is harder to ignore.

Also, if you post a video, more of the parents who don't go to the games will become personally aware of the problem. They might want to help you get some changes made - but only if they see the problem for themselves.
TERRIBLE wrote:
I won't resort to petty utube stuff thats for kids
Youtube isn't "petty" or "for kids." Immature, childish videos do indeed get posted there for the amusement of children, so I see why you would feel that way. But that's just one possible use of Youtube. This is like walking into the Children's Books section of the library and deciding that there is nothing an adult can gain from reading books. Libraries are more than just kid-stuff, and Youtube is more than just videos of cats doing silly things.

Youtube is a powerful tool that lets you share video of practically anything with practically anyone. And sharing video of a highschool coach's bad behavior with the parents of highschool students would be a very powerful and meaningful use of Youtube as a communication tool.

If the school won't listen to you, maybe they'll listen to the parents who would be outraged over a video of their child's coach's poor behavior courtside. School administrators tend to listen to groups of outraged parents (for better or for worse). Case in point: The Moms on Topix.
NOOO

Watertown, NY

#5 Feb 9, 2012
You know what I actually like topix I can find out what is happening in Gouverneur when I am not even here ut when you talk about my cousin you have crossed the line. You NEVER talk about my family on here and yes I agree he is a bad coach and he needs to learn the basics again but his name on topix I will not stand for!!!!! If you have a problem go talk to the school!!!! They might not do anything but at keast you can yell at them!!! And if you care so much to see them lose stop going to the games!!!
TERRIBLE

Watertown, NY

#6 Feb 9, 2012
NOOO wrote:
You know what I actually like topix I can find out what is happening in Gouverneur when I am not even here ut when you talk about my cousin you have crossed the line. You NEVER talk about my family on here and yes I agree he is a bad coach and he needs to learn the basics again but his name on topix I will not stand for!!!!! If you have a problem go talk to the school!!!! They might not do anything but at keast you can yell at them!!! And if you care so much to see them lose stop going to the games!!!
For your information I did go to the school, even attended a board meeting and nothing was done. NEVER SAID HE WAS A BAD PERSON, JUST NOT A GOOD COACH. And topix is for opions and I can type what I would like as much as you can. All I was basically saying is he needs to chill out and relax no foul language is needed, don't need to put down the kids when they aren't winning. They play hard but don't look like they are having fun. So please don't take this topic and turn it into something it's not just voiceing my opion on the basketball coaches. And I am not going to stop attending games as it is my right to watch weather they win or lose. I SUPPORT OUR TEAM WIN OR LOSE. Just they need more guidance and support.

“I could be wrong.”

The Internet

#7 Feb 9, 2012
NOOO wrote:
You know what I actually like topix I can find out what is happening in Gouverneur when I am not even here ut when you talk about my cousin you have crossed the line. You NEVER talk about my family on here and yes I agree he is a bad coach and he needs to learn the basics again but his name on topix I will not stand for!!!!!
Why not? Nobody said he was a bad person, they just described his coaching. Even you just admitted that he is a bad coach. That affects lots of children in the community. Bad coaching can ruin the athletic experience for the players, and at a young age, this could really prevent kids from developing healthy competitive sport habits.

Shouldn't we talk about that? If even you agree that he is a bad coach, shouldn't we have a conversation about what's broken and how to fix it? That seems pretty important to me. If we don't talk about this, and talk about how to make things better, then our kids are going to just keep on having a miserable time at sports.

I'd like this conversation about coaching to continue, for our community and our children. If you "will not stand for" that, that's your choice, but I want to talk it out.
parent

Richville, NY

#8 Feb 9, 2012
I agree with you Randall on this. I have had a child try to play a sport that the coach(es) were not creating the correct atmosphere in and it has appeared to ruin his idea of school sports - all of them. Certain children were given special help and more opportunities while some were not "coached" the same either. Some parents were allowed to come in and help and others were not. It left a sour taste in his mouth that I am having a hard time changing. It really ticks me off that some of these coaches handle the sports this way.
Oh plz

Watertown, NY

#9 Feb 9, 2012
I dont know where to even begin but I guess I'll start with Typh. Typh is a decent coach. He's not great, but he's not bad either. What was coming out of his mouth is frustration after a game. If you check the stats the J.V is doing much better than the varsity, so why are we focusing on Typhair when Justin is not only losing but they're being humiliated. Play the bench? Seriously, you obviously havent seen the bench play if this is even a recommendation of yours. Typh plays and switches out everyone that worth switching out with no disrespect to the bench players at all. He tries to play them when they're winning or losing and I commend him for that. Most J.V. or Varsity coaches dont do that, and they dont have to. As for Justin and the Varsity players, theres just not much talent there along with the fact that he's too nice. He wants to be more of a friend than a coach to them. He was like that the last 2 years that I've noticed. I feel for all the players but the Varsity the most. They're being humiliated out on the court and the scores popping up on the news the next day just make me sad. Also since its being said, I know its basketball season but what about any other Gouverneur Sport? Soccer? Horrible. Baseball? Horrible. Everyone cried and complained that Coach Gordon played favorites or that Mr. Knowlton "yells" at the kids. Well, they did something right. They need real coaches with pride in their sport but most of all, know the sport they are coaching. Have pride in it. The kids can only do so much.
HaveSeenAllofThe Games

Hadley, MA

#10 Feb 9, 2012
First, the boys on both teams try
To do their best. JV is doing much better than varsity and they have only lost a few games. Varsity boys have games where they play good but still lose. Typhair might holler etc. But the boys listen and learn. Coach young tries his best but needs to be a little "louder"( maybe). It is what it is. We all need to be there to support them regardless whether they win or lose. Most games, all of the players get to play at one point or another. The swim team has not "won" one match but they have beat their own personal records and that is what is important. The kids are learning whether they are on the bench or in the game . The ball players are working toward their personal too.
Agreed

Massena, NY

#11 Feb 9, 2012
TERRIBLE wrote:
I have been to every home game and they are horrible, I think it's time to get new coaches. Typher throws things breaks things while yelling at the boys. Walked by the locker room last home game and could not believe the stuff commming out of his mouth, they keep loosing and he keeps playing the same players he has done it for years, time to play the bench cuz your favorites just don't cut it. Young needs to space out his players and work with them because they only have to good players and they leave this year. Can't believe how bad they have lost their games. The boys don't even look like they are having fun anymore, it would be nice to win but it's nicer to watch ALL the kids on the team play and enjoy themselves. CAN'T HURT WERE NOT WINNING ANYWAYS.
AND I AM SURE I WILL GET SLACK FOR NOT BEING BEHIND OUR TEAM, BUT EVERYONE IN THE STANDS SAYS THE SAME THING GETTING BORING TO WATCH THE SAME PLAYER PLAY OVER AND OVER AND NOT EVEN WIN. TIME FOR A CHANGE.
I completely agree. Something needs to change because the way it's going now is not working.
sicko

Watertown, NY

#12 Feb 10, 2012
TERRIBLE wrote:
Im in the stands every single game and I can assure you, this is not what anyone is saying. They get mad when the starters come out to play anyone else whether its needed or not. So you must be on the wrong side of the gym or something or maybe just a liar.
Former Player

Petersburg, NY

#13 Feb 10, 2012
Oh plz wrote:
I dont know where to even begin but I guess I'll start with Typh. Typh is a decent coach. He's not great, but he's not bad either. What was coming out of his mouth is frustration after a game. If you check the stats the J.V is doing much better than the varsity, so why are we focusing on Typhair when Justin is not only losing but they're being humiliated. Play the bench? Seriously, you obviously havent seen the bench play if this is even a recommendation of yours. Typh plays and switches out everyone that worth switching out with no disrespect to the bench players at all. He tries to play them when they're winning or losing and I commend him for that. Most J.V. or Varsity coaches dont do that, and they dont have to. As for Justin and the Varsity players, theres just not much talent there along with the fact that he's too nice. He wants to be more of a friend than a coach to them. He was like that the last 2 years that I've noticed. I feel for all the players but the Varsity the most. They're being humiliated out on the court and the scores popping up on the news the next day just make me sad. Also since its being said, I know its basketball season but what about any other Gouverneur Sport? Soccer? Horrible. Baseball? Horrible. Everyone cried and complained that Coach Gordon played favorites or that Mr. Knowlton "yells" at the kids. Well, they did something right. They need real coaches with pride in their sport but most of all, know the sport they are coaching. Have pride in it. The kids can only do so much.
Mr. Knowlton should have stayed coaching the boys. You want to talk about playing favorites...well there you go right there. And what other team couldn't even play one season because not enough players signed up!?!? TIm Knowltons. I know many players who quit because of him. You absolutely do not treat a girls team the way you do a boys team. Nor do you need to yell and scream at them...on and off the court. What happened to being able to enjoy the sports??? I'm sorry but it's not always about winning. And if you can't have a little fun with your teammates and bond with them so that you do play better as a TEAM, then there is something wrong. It's highschool, they are not getting paid to play, but trying to grow their abilities on the court and grow as a team. If you want a winning team, you need to start the RIGHT kind of program when they are younger and allow them to have fun. If it's more like a job to them, they aren't going to want to do it. It's the same way in the workforce. If you have a boss who is constantly yelling and nagging at you....are you going to want to put forth the most effort?!?! Didn't think so!

Too bad Coach Douglas or Coach Barton didn't stick around....you sure wouldn't have had a loosing team all the time! They started a great, FUN program for the girls in elementary school, where they practiced more than once a week, they made every level fun and were included in every level of basketball. That's what a good Varsity coach does.
From the Stands

Watertown, NY

#14 Feb 10, 2012
I personally believe that Coach Typhair did well this year. Sure, there were a few games when more players could've played more, but overall it is the coaches decision. My son has never played before and learned a ton this season. He understands when he doesn't get to play, especially when a game is won by free throws in the last seconds. Others on the team never played before either, I can't speak for them, but my son really respects Coach Typhair. For this reason I do too, I look forward to tonights game and enjoyed this entire season. As a side note, after seeing some of the officiating, I can understand how a coach becomes energized, a few of the games were officiated so poorly, I was ready to hit the floor. Thanks.
nice

Watertown, NY

#15 Feb 10, 2012
From the Stands wrote:
I personally believe that Coach Typhair did well this year. Sure, there were a few games when more players could've played more, but overall it is the coaches decision. My son has never played before and learned a ton this season. He understands when he doesn't get to play, especially when a game is won by free throws in the last seconds. Others on the team never played before either, I can't speak for them, but my son really respects Coach Typhair. For this reason I do too, I look forward to tonights game and enjoyed this entire season. As a side note, after seeing some of the officiating, I can understand how a coach becomes energized, a few of the games were officiated so poorly, I was ready to hit the floor. Thanks.
Agreed. Good luck J.V. Cats in tonights game!
Oh Plz

Watertown, NY

#16 Feb 10, 2012
Former Player wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Knowlton should have stayed coaching the boys. You want to talk about playing favorites...well there you go right there. And what other team couldn't even play one season because not enough players signed up!?!? TIm Knowltons. I know many players who quit because of him. You absolutely do not treat a girls team the way you do a boys team. Nor do you need to yell and scream at them...on and off the court. What happened to being able to enjoy the sports??? I'm sorry but it's not always about winning. And if you can't have a little fun with your teammates and bond with them so that you do play better as a TEAM, then there is something wrong. It's highschool, they are not getting paid to play, but trying to grow their abilities on the court and grow as a team. If you want a winning team, you need to start the RIGHT kind of program when they are younger and allow them to have fun. If it's more like a job to them, they aren't going to want to do it. It's the same way in the workforce. If you have a boss who is constantly yelling and nagging at you....are you going to want to put forth the most effort?!?! Didn't think so!
Too bad Coach Douglas or Coach Barton didn't stick around....you sure wouldn't have had a loosing team all the time! They started a great, FUN program for the girls in elementary school, where they practiced more than once a week, they made every level fun and were included in every level of basketball. That's what a good Varsity coach does.
You absolutely dont coach a girls and boys team the same??? Why the hell not? Yes, there are other reasons to join a team but let me tell you, the first and foremost is winning. You dont say oh well, we suck, lets go have a pizza party because we're all friends. Half the problem with any team these days is the fact that parents step in and dont let the coaches be coaches. I heard a woman screaming at a coach last year during football because her kid didnt play. The coach then fired back with about 5 reasons he wasnt playing, none of them because of his ability. She then made excuses up and down on why he couldnt act right, or backtalked, or was punching the other players while they were waiting to go in the game. My point? The kid was right where he belonged because of his actions, and the mother should of let him learn his lesson. Is she going to be there every time he needs to be saved? I'm sure she'll try and will be bailing him out of jail at a young age. I have kids, and have to bite my tongue often. I let the coaches coach, and my kid learn lessons that sometimes, well, life isnt fair. Every coach has his or her faults. Emotions run high during games, and a lot of time is dedicated to make the kids better in both practices and games. Everyone just needs to let whoever is coaching, do their job and if you dont like the rules or the coach, dont play.

“I could be wrong.”

The Internet

#17 Feb 10, 2012
Oh Plz wrote:
Yes, there are other reasons to join a team but let me tell you, the first and foremost is winning.
I have never, in my life, decided to play a sport on the basis of "I want to win at this sport."

The reasons I join sports teams are typically some combination of wanting to test my skills, wanting to improve my skills through practice and competition, and wanting to play a fun game.

You seem to want to teach kids that losing at sports means they're less valuable as people. You seem to want to equate your children's emotional happiness to their physical performance. That sounds like a terrible idea to me, and dangerous to the development of healthy competitive adult sports habits.
Oh Plz wrote:
You dont say oh well, we suck, lets go have a pizza party because we're all friends.
You're half right. You don't say "Oh well, we suck." But you don't go have a pizza party, either. You say, "Guys, we need to work on our defense a little, what do you think our weakpoints are and how can we fix them in practice this week?"
Oh Plz wrote:
Everyone just needs to let whoever is coaching, do their job and if you dont like the rules or the coach, dont play.
I've noticed this "shut up or go away" attitude frequently on Topix, and it's really ignorant sounding. If you're really that angry just because someone wants to talk about the coaching with a critical tone, then maybe there is some truth to the criticism, or you wouldn't be scrambling to defend the coaches.
Oh Plz

Watertown, NY

#18 Feb 10, 2012
Seriously, your goal as a team is to win. You dont join a team to have the best losing record. Losing only makes them less valuable on a team, if they didnt do their best. If they did and lose then it is what it is, they tried their best and lost to a better team. If you play a game not listening to your coach, throwing fits on the sideline, or crying because he raised his voice to you, then you didnt do your best.

Who says I'm angry? I'm opinionated about the coaches because I've been involved in Gouverneur sports for a very long time. I defend them because its my right to, just as its yours to voice your opinion. I think some of your opinions are down right ignorant but I keep quiet and dont attack them because its your right to speak on any subject you'd like. I may argue your logic but wont tell you its wrong or right because peoples opinions are just that, opinions.
TERRIBLE

Watertown, NY

#19 Feb 10, 2012
If you grow up thinking the only way to get anywhere in life is by winning, your never gonna get anywhere in life. NEVER SAID IT WAS EASY TO COACH.(I have worked with the summer basketball program in Potsdam) The idea of sports is to teach TEAM EFFORT, proper sportsmanship. I do understand the Refs have been horrible this year even at the away games they have been very unfair towards our school. But that does not give the coaches the right to be disrespectful, we tell out kids they must respect our teachers and adults, so it's not ok for the coaches to do it where they get removed from games because of their behavior. I understand NO ONE IS PERFECT. But we are the adults and we need to act like them winning or not. And as for the JV team they are doing much better, but they still look miserable after they lose agame. Who cares if the lose. At least they did their best and they should be proud of that. And for the ones who sit the bench, remember it's not always how you play the game, it's how you behave afterwards that makes the PLAYER. As for Varsity they need help all around, I THINK IF THEY HAD FUN PLAYING THE GAME THEY WOULD LET GO AND WIN. WHEN YOU SEE THEM SITTING ON THE BENCH THEY ARE HITTING THE CHAIR AND ACTING LIKE ITS THE END OF THE WORLD. THEY PLAY HARD, THEY ALL DERSERVE CREDIT FOR STAYING IN THE PROGRAM WITHOUT WINNING.

THERE IS NO ME IN TEAM BUT IN ALL SPORTS IN THIS COUNTY THEIR SEEMS TO BE ALOT OF I.
true

Watertown, NY

#20 Feb 10, 2012
Randall Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
It's easy to discount a complaint or an email, especially if it only comes from a few people. Video is harder to ignore.
Also, if you post a video, more of the parents who don't go to the games will become personally aware of the problem. They might want to help you get some changes made - but only if they see the problem for themselves.
<quoted text>
Youtube isn't "petty" or "for kids." Immature, childish videos do indeed get posted there for the amusement of children, so I see why you would feel that way. But that's just one possible use of Youtube. This is like walking into the Children's Books section of the library and deciding that there is nothing an adult can gain from reading books. Libraries are more than just kid-stuff, and Youtube is more than just videos of cats doing silly things.
Youtube is a powerful tool that lets you share video of practically anything with practically anyone. And sharing video of a highschool coach's bad behavior with the parents of highschool students would be a very powerful and meaningful use of Youtube as a communication tool.
If the school won't listen to you, maybe they'll listen to the parents who would be outraged over a video of their child's coach's poor behavior courtside. School administrators tend to listen to groups of outraged parents (for better or for worse). Case in point: The Moms on Topix.
I agree with you 100 percent Randall. I feel the same way there would be no disputing the truth of what is taking place if people were to see FIRST hand what is happening. I say yes video tape it and place it on Utube. Think about it there are cameras in the schools so that in the event that there is a problem the videos can be viewed to see first hand what had taken place.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gouverneur Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Horseface goes to jail!!!!! 13 hr Sevenonetwo 1
Fullerton Thu Please Help 4
Do you know? Thu Joe 3
who died in car accident between gouverneur/ ca... Thu Joe 6
News Gouverneur couple allegedly steal police tactic... Aug 25 huh 17
yard rats Aug 21 buwheat 7
Under the BUS Aug 21 GouvRes 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Gouverneur Mortgages