gosnell marching band
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
ClarinetIsLife

United States

#21 Dec 14, 2011
Prdmmbr-kpingitreal wrote:
I'm looking at myself, my fellow class, and the class below us. We WERE NOT taught the basics, as someone earlier posted. You haven't been in that bandroom 3rd hour when a majority of the band cannot play EIGHTH notes, and still don't know the difference between a sixteenth note and an eighth note. That was the year after cazort left, by the way. After he "taught us the basics"
I hate to say it, but God only knows what would have become of us if Cazort had stayed.
I don't blame him for leaving. I would have high-tailed it out of there too.
And we're better now. Thats all that matters. Doesn't matter who's to thank. We're getting a proper musical education and hopefully this Gosnell Band program will continue to grow.:)
Agreed! I'm glad I didn't have to have him as a band director. He left right before I got in Jr. High. He sounded like a good band director but our scores are higher this year.
KLR2009

United States

#22 Feb 6, 2012
Yall need to shut your face! The few of us lucky enough to have had Cazort in our lives considered it a privilege! He was like a father to many of us. Not only did he teach us to have a love for music, but he took it to the next level and taught us to have pride in ourselves! We were one team, not only making music, but building confidence and self respect. We didnt care who you were, where you came from, we didn't even have to know your name. We were a family when everyone else rejected us and told us we weren't worth it and would never amount to anything. He made us see things in ourselves, that gave us not only hope, but dreams that we knew if we just reached for, nothing would ever be impossible! In my point of view, I wouldnt be who I am today, had it not been for him. So you all can keep putting his teaching methods down and saying whatever your shallow minds may believe, but you are the ones we feel sorry for... You have no idea.
band fan

Paragould, AR

#23 Feb 6, 2012
Just so you know wrote:
To band fan. You speak like you are an actual band director, rather than just a mere band fan. Saying that is is dangerous to compare scores of a Class A and Class AAAA is completely ludicrous. We as band members and band moms realize that the classes are complete world's from each other, however, they are scored by the judges in the same way. So YES, when our scores are HIGHER than larger classes in certain categories, it makes us proud.
How do you know I'm not a band director?:)
Band123

Blytheville, AR

#24 Feb 19, 2012
I'm not sure where the communication got lost in previous years. All I know is under Cazort I learned my basics and much more. We were an excellent winning band then and I'm glad that you all still are under Parham. It sounds like Gosnell continues to hire great directors to build the band program up. : )
Band123

Blytheville, AR

#25 Feb 19, 2012
My last comment was directed towards Prdmmbr-kpingitr eal. I didn't see page 2 before I posted. Facts: I think you may need to check around because we did go to competition in 2007. We went every year. I don't mean that hateful because I don't even know where you'd check to find those scores. Ill search around and see if i can find my old video tapes... There may be some scores with them Thank you KLR2009!!
Proud member

United States

#26 Aug 11, 2012
It has been quite a while since I've seen this page. I must apologize for offending anyone. I must say that Cazort did excellent work with the high school. I agree on that aspect. I hate that I only had one high school year with him. He was a great man and I loved him. But for those of you sticking up for him, you truly don't understand the damage that was done in the junior high, musically. Again I'll explain that they knew ABSOLUTELY nothing. The last few years he was there he did not work with the junior high. He dedicated the little bit of time he had to the high school. It is not necessarily his fault. How can one person do that much work? It is partially the school system's fault. But I'm just letting you know that I am not bashing the man. He was also like a father to me. I still adore him, but I just regret that he did not have the time to teach like he should have.

As for Mr. Parham, he has probably the worst personality and the worst organizational skills I have ever seen. He doesn't have 1/10th of the organization or personality that Mr. Cazort has. He is extremely unprofessional and cannot manage money AT ALL. But I admirr him for his ability to teach. His method is ingenious, and I wouldn't be half the musician I am today if it were not for that method. Having that method, I would trade Mr. Parham for Mr. Cazort anyday.
interesting

Missouri City, TX

#27 Aug 25, 2012
This is probably the most honest and balanced assessment I've read on topix. Bravo! I agree that a person can have great methods, but lack the skills necessary to execute them with all the students.
Proud member wrote:
It has been quite a while since I've seen this page. I must apologize for offending anyone. I must say that Cazort did excellent work with the high school. I agree on that aspect. I hate that I only had one high school year with him. He was a great man and I loved him. But for those of you sticking up for him, you truly don't understand the damage that was done in the junior high, musically. Again I'll explain that they knew ABSOLUTELY nothing. The last few years he was there he did not work with the junior high. He dedicated the little bit of time he had to the high school. It is not necessarily his fault. How can one person do that much work? It is partially the school system's fault. But I'm just letting you know that I am not bashing the man. He was also like a father to me. I still adore him, but I just regret that he did not have the time to teach like he should have.
As for Mr. Parham, he has probably the worst personality and the worst organizational skills I have ever seen. He doesn't have 1/10th of the organization or personality that Mr. Cazort has. He is extremely unprofessional and cannot manage money AT ALL. But I admirr him for his ability to teach. His method is ingenious, and I wouldn't be half the musician I am today if it were not for that method. Having that method, I would trade Mr. Parham for Mr. Cazort anyday.

United States

#28 Sep 18, 2012
Does any parents or students have any concerns about the band program this year?
Band Mom

United States

#29 Sep 21, 2012
He executes his methods fine. As far as organization, I know where you are coming from but at the same time you need to consider what all his responsibilities consist of. As far as managing money, I would say that is somewhat incorrect. He just needs a better program than what he is using to keep up with all the different student accounts. To say he cannot manage money is like saying he is spending it poorly which is not the case. Now that a Booster Club has been set up, he will get some relief. To the last post, I don't have any concerns about the program this year. Are you asking about concerns about the actual SCHOOL band program or the Marching band show.

Haslet, TX

#30 Sep 27, 2012
Band Mom wrote:
He executes his methods fine. As far as organization, I know where you are coming from but at the same time you need to consider what all his responsibilities consist of. As far as managing money, I would say that is somewhat incorrect. He just needs a better program than what he is using to keep up with all the different student accounts. To say he cannot manage money is like saying he is spending it poorly which is not the case. Now that a Booster Club has been set up, he will get some relief. To the last post, I don't have any concerns about the program this year. Are you asking about concerns about the actual SCHOOL band program or the Marching band show.
he a two face he tells students one thing and parents something else . Also if your child is staying after school you need to surprise them someone is going to end up in trouble like Blytheville. School board better open up their eyes before region 8 news shows up .
Band parent

Blytheville, AR

#31 Sep 28, 2012
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
he a two face he tells students one thing and parents something else . Also if your child is staying after school you need to surprise them someone is going to end up in trouble like Blytheville. School board better open up their eyes before region 8 news shows up .
Are you trying to say that Mr. Parham is behaving inappropriately with our kids? That is not an acusation to make lightly!

Little Rock, AR

#32 Sep 30, 2012
Band parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you trying to say that Mr. Parham is behaving inappropriately with our kids? That is not an acusation to make lightly!
Just don't let your daughters wear skirts to band class. He likes to drop things in front of their seats.

United States

#33 Oct 4, 2012
Do you have a child that is being bullied by the teacher to be in 6 grade band . My son is and I don't know who to talk to .

Little Rock, AR

#34 Oct 6, 2012
guest wrote:
Do you have a child that is being bullied by the teacher to be in 6 grade band . My son is and I don't know who to talk to .
You need to talk to Mrs. Middleton, she's the principal. Several 6th grade parents have already been there, so you definitely will not be the first! Until parents stand up against this kind of behavior, he will continue to treat them the way he does. The school officials need to know when a teacher is out of line. Just because they are professionals doesn't mean they behave professionally! Parents protect your children from bullies no matter if it's another student or a teacher. Gosnell has an anti-bully policy in place & it should be taken seriously.
Concerned parent

Waynesboro, GA

#35 Nov 1, 2012
If he love looking under skirts that need to be reported smh.Whats really going on.
Band Parent

Brookland, AR

#36 Nov 5, 2012
Once again people trying to get something started!! for one you RARELY see a band member wear skirts because they have to practice after school and 2 he is not a bully. If he is hard on your child then it is for one of two reasons; either your child acts up in class or isn't using his/her full potential. Some students join band thinking they will have an easy class and don't take it seriously. If that's the case then they need to change classes. To 90% of the band students, band is a very serious class and way of life. Believe it or not, it consists of hard work and discipline, especially in marching. There is only a very short period from when school lets out for summer til they start with summer camp and practicing for the following years show. Do I agree with EVERYTHING he does? No, but that goes with any teacher regardless of HOW much I like them. I can assure you that he is NOT looking up anyones skirt and whoever is posting this crap needs to think twice before they try to damage someones reputation. Karma Just might bite you in the ASS!!
Bandie

Hot Springs National Park, AR

#37 Nov 18, 2012
I find a lot of this stuff to be just plain opinions and over exaggerations. So what if Mr. Cazort was a good or bad band director, he's long gone to us. His name shouldn't even be associated with Gosnell anymore, Mr. Parham is our band director now. There is NO way he is a bully in any shape or form. Not unless you see yourself as a bully, talking about him on the internet with your real name not attached. Mr. Parham doesn't teach to make friends, or relations, he does it to teach others and help people learn things that they didn't know before. Wouldn't it be greedy to win so many awards and just sit back and not teach anyone at all? He tries his best to satisfy everyone, and of course that won't satisfy everyone. If the things said were true, he would have been fired. But they have not been true, not to the extent that people go to. I don't think I could have gone as far as I have on my instrument if he was not the one teaching me. I would be stuck not knowing anything about rhythm, the band director would constantly have to tell me over and over again I didn't get it right. Then someone would probably complain about how being told they're wrong is "bullying" and that it needs to stop. Society these days.
gosnell band member

Blytheville, AR

#38 Jan 25, 2013
First of no need to bash anyone they were great band directors and left a impacto on everyone i had both of them and learn differnt things from both so you people downing the band should just keep quiet you oppions now really dont matter were doing our best and having may things happen because of it you cant blame a band director for doing bad you blame the student btw now we have 4 students with the oppertunity to try out for state if yall were really concerned for the program you would cheer us on no matter what but we dont need it were going to keep on makeing music as a FAMIlY so thank yall and have a nice day
2004 Gosnell Band Alumni

Jonesboro, AR

#39 Mar 3, 2014
I had three different band directors from 6-12 grades. My junior and senior years were amazing, both years I was the Drum Major/Field Commander for the marching seasons, and I learned so much about music and my musicianship grew while Cazort was there. My first band director played favorites and so I did not learn much from her. My second was a little better but still my third director Cazort completely changed the Band Program for the better. The band now is growing and will continue to grow and I wish them nothing but future growth and success!! Mr Parham is different but everyone has their own methods to gain success and successful students. As I stated earlier, I wish the whole band continued growth and musicianship strengths!! See you at competitions!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gosnell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
City council vote 9 min babbling idiots 25
Good Riddance Atwill 47 min Taxpayer 31
NAACP? BLM? BET? MLK Day? 1 hr Guest 36
Single Black females 1 hr Guest 2
County Assessor 4 hr just here 22
Claw foot bathtub 4 hr just here 3
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 5 hr Reality Check 41,519

Gosnell Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance