Since: Feb 13

Jacksonville, AR

#23 Mar 4, 2013
the schools to not raise children and no one is asking that but encouragement is just a few words a day could make a different. we already know how cold and mean people are in society, people get real, these children needs help, especially in towns like blytheville. there is no need to even think its gonna come from the home, it hasn't yet. some one has to do a little more to try and save the children in general and they will grow up no matter what. once the school is over then what. anyone that has went to public schools know what goes on in them. they have seen the difference that being made in schools as well as society. the schools are not suppose to raise children but they can do better than what they are doing now.

Jonesboro, AR

#24 Mar 4, 2013
miami6 wrote:
the schools to not raise children and no one is asking that but encouragement is just a few words a day could make a different. we already know how cold and mean people are in society, people get real, these children needs help, especially in towns like blytheville. there is no need to even think its gonna come from the home, it hasn't yet. some one has to do a little more to try and save the children in general and they will grow up no matter what. once the school is over then what. anyone that has went to public schools know what goes on in them. they have seen the difference that being made in schools as well as society. the schools are not suppose to raise children but they can do better than what they are doing now.
I think the schools are doing the best they can, given what they are up against! When a child gets in trouble at school and the parent goes up there and from the get go starts yelling and cursing then that is how the child thinks it is supposed to happen and in turn follows those footsteps. When Jr. goes home and finds the parents taking dope then they think it is ok to do. When jr. goes home and sees the parent carrying a gun then they think it is ok to do. No matter how much the teachers and admin tries to do they are not going to convert everyone of them! The schools have got to have some help and it has GOT to start at home. The bad thing is some of these children don't have a home, just a house!

Everything just cannot be blame on the schools as a lot of folks want to do!

United States

#25 Mar 4, 2013
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>This is all true but there are those who are born into horribly violent, neglecting environments. They have not been taught right and wrong. If you are beaten and/or sexually abused, do without the basics of life, and fear for your life starting as a baby or toddler you know no different. Then you repeat the cycle. What is the answer for that? I have no clue but I bet its one of our biggest problems with crime in this country.
What you say is True as well but still one would think this would be the very reason they would strive to do better for themselves. Most use school as a refuge and seek a better way, then there are those who just don't care. All these kids need to do is reach for a better life by getting educated & making positive choices. To move on & rise above their sad up bringing & be better individuals.

Jacksonville, AR

#26 Mar 4, 2013
maybe when they are getting their classes during registration some of the schools administrators can take the time to encouraged to guide. maybe have a counseling session with the student. hey we just using blytheville high as an example because so many young people have lost their lives in blytheville to being killed or going to jail. its no mystery that if the young people do not proper there is no future, be that they are black or white. now we know the young white are gonna do ok. just look at nucor hiring policies. young white guys from all over 20 to 25 yrs old being hired and making anywhere from 65000 to 100000 per year and they get promoted on those jobs changing the course of their family history. make them want to stay in this area. nucor do not hire many if any young black guys. they hire old black guys who may be ex cons or soon to be cons or something else. maybe the young black guys can not pass the entry test , drug test, etc,. maybe they did not take the right classes in high school for those type of jobs. i don't know but for some reason they can't seem to get any high paying jobs in the steel mill industry in the area. other factories hire but the way prices are going up it hard to move up the ladder. come on big river steel mill! maybe they will get an opportunity to succeed or fail. any young black people that want a better future will leave mississippi county.
adam

Saint Louis, MO

#27 Mar 4, 2013
miami6 wrote:
maybe when they are getting their classes during registration some of the schools administrators can take the time to encouraged to guide. maybe have a counseling session with the student. hey we just using blytheville high as an example because so many young people have lost their lives in blytheville to being killed or going to jail. its no mystery that if the young people do not proper there is no future, be that they are black or white. now we know the young white are gonna do ok. just look at nucor hiring policies. young white guys from all over 20 to 25 yrs old being hired and making anywhere from 65000 to 100000 per year and they get promoted on those jobs changing the course of their family history. make them want to stay in this area. nucor do not hire many if any young black guys. they hire old black guys who may be ex cons or soon to be cons or something else. maybe the young black guys can not pass the entry test , drug test, etc,. maybe they did not take the right classes in high school for those type of jobs. i don't know but for some reason they can't seem to get any high paying jobs in the steel mill industry in the area. other factories hire but the way prices are going up it hard to move up the ladder. come on big river steel mill! maybe they will get an opportunity to succeed or fail. any young black people that want a better future will leave mississippi county.
i reaaly want matter what color a person is if you do not have the skills required or the abillity to aquire them then you will be left behind these kids need math skills, science, and thinking skills for todays jobs and as always it helps to know someone that can display your skills to the right person.

Jacksonville, AR

#28 Mar 4, 2013
that a bunch of craft. THEY HAVE ALL OF THOSE TYPE OF TEACHERS THERE ALREADY. it still does matter what color you are just like it matters what gender you are. The color of ones skin does still matter in America. but you can still be successful. all of the policies of hiring is done on racial makeup of this country or a particular area. maybe some courses on life, credit, drugs prisons should become part of the core curiculumn.

Blytheville, AR

#29 Mar 4, 2013
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the schools are doing the best they can, given what they are up against! When a child gets in trouble at school and the parent goes up there and from the get go starts yelling and cursing then that is how the child thinks it is supposed to happen and in turn follows those footsteps. When Jr. goes home and finds the parents taking dope then they think it is ok to do. When jr. goes home and sees the parent carrying a gun then they think it is ok to do. No matter how much the teachers and admin tries to do they are not going to convert everyone of them! The schools have got to have some help and it has GOT to start at home. The bad thing is some of these children don't have a home, just a house!
Everything just cannot be blame on the schools as a lot of folks want to do!
Not blaming the schools, but in most causes it will not start at home. The cycle is in process. You cant force a person to be a parent if they dont care or dont know how to care. The numbers are staggering on abuse and neglect. Hell, just go to Walmart and watch the kids talked to like dirt or smacked around and guess what happens at home. Our children are our most precious asset and our least worry in this country.
adam

Saint Louis, MO

#30 Mar 4, 2013
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>Not blaming the schools, but in most causes it will not start at home. The cycle is in process. You cant force a person to be a parent if they dont care or dont know how to care. The numbers are staggering on abuse and neglect. Hell, just go to Walmart and watch the kids talked to like dirt or smacked around and guess what happens at home. Our children are our most precious asset and our least worry in this country.
alot people want to equate this problem with blacks and i am here to tell you that it is with all races. i live in manila and i can't tell you how many kids i see everyday that are growning up and raising them selves some of these kids are left in the care of their grandparents or a parent not fit to care for a stray dog, these kids are left alone while mon and or dad go out at night . they are exposed to drugs,abuse and other things that will lead them down the same path their parents are on. sometimes i just want to smack the shit out of some of these parents treating their child like a used peace of furniture. last year my 11 year old was in a class of 17 6 of which were boys and 2 ( my child and another) had any contact with their father some of their parents were on their third and fourth marriage and not all these kids are poor, most are no wonder many parents of means send their children to private schools to try to shelter these kids from the problems that pleage alot ( not all) public schools. what a f??k up mess we as humans have created. I guess my father was right the human being is it own worse enemy

Steele, MO

#31 Mar 4, 2013
adam wrote:
<quoted text>alot people want to equate this problem with blacks and i am here to tell you that it is with all races. i live in manila and i can't tell you how many kids i see everyday that are growning up and raising them selves some of these kids are left in the care of their grandparents or a parent not fit to care for a stray dog, these kids are left alone while mon and or dad go out at night . they are exposed to drugs,abuse and other things that will lead them down the same path their parents are on. sometimes i just want to smack the shit out of some of these parents treating their child like a used peace of furniture. last year my 11 year old was in a class of 17 6 of which were boys and 2 ( my child and another) had any contact with their father some of their parents were on their third and fourth marriage and not all these kids are poor, most are no wonder many parents of means send their children to private schools to try to shelter these kids from the problems that pleage alot ( not all) public schools. what a f??k up mess we as humans have created. I guess my father was right the human being is it own worse enemy
True but Miami is addressing only blacks. They said nothing about whites just blacks.

Jacksonville, AR

#32 Mar 4, 2013
well whites situation is better. the opportunity is there for whites. if they choose not to work and better themselves that their choice. the white people i have work with worked hard as well as the blacks so given a opportunity that is warranted and wanted i think anybody whether black green white orange will work hard to succeed. white will give whites in most cases that break aka nucor. white america run the country and pretty much most of the world. let be real blacks are only about 13% of the u.s. population and are still treated as if they are a major threat to something other than themselves. some blacks have overcame a lot but others have not . getting back to the schools i see where hunters education classes are being taught in some schools who does that benefit? why not teach life classes on how to get and keep good credit, house buying, staying drug free, crime the truth about prisons etc. it will help everybody.

Blytheville, AR

#33 Mar 4, 2013
miami6 wrote:
well whites situation is better. the opportunity is there for whites. if they choose not to work and better themselves that their choice. the white people i have work with worked hard as well as the blacks so given a opportunity that is warranted and wanted i think anybody whether black green white orange will work hard to succeed. white will give whites in most cases that break aka nucor. white america run the country and pretty much most of the world. let be real blacks are only about 13% of the u.s. population and are still treated as if they are a major threat to something other than themselves. some blacks have overcame a lot but others have not . getting back to the schools i see where hunters education classes are being taught in some schools who does that benefit? why not teach life classes on how to get and keep good credit, house buying, staying drug free, crime the truth about prisons etc. it will help everybody.
Actually they do teach this!

United States

#34 Mar 4, 2013
There needs to be good communication between teachers and parents. My son has a teacher who calls me to tell me the good things he is doing, she rarely calls to complain, but when she does I know it is something for me to deal with. I like to be told the good stuff not always be told the bad things.
non supporter

United States

#35 Mar 4, 2013
The answer isn't simple! It originates at home, we teach our children to respect our teachers and adults, and when they go to school they have rules and guidelines to abide by, as they do at home! My kids are very well respected, but if you don't demand respect they won't give it, they will act like the rest of the class! I have been called by teachers and told my child has been disruptive all week! Well, my question is WHY NOW, why wait a week to tell me! While the teacher has done nothing but tell them to set down and shut up, when they don't listen she just yells louder, not once have they been sent to the office never has a note been sent home, never have they called me when there was an incident, no a week later! Every kid will take advantage of any and every situation, until you hold them accountable!!

Jacksonville, AR

#36 Mar 4, 2013
miami6 is making one stupid assumption and excuse after another. The kid is old enough to know right from wrong and he chose wrong.
Judge ye not so you want

Marion, AR

#37 Mar 5, 2013
You don't know the storey or the things that this lead to. So be mindful of the things you say about others because you will see it again. Rest asure.1. This could be another child that the community has failed. Does this child have a previous record.What is this child going through are being pressured in, and last what can I do to better my community or lend a helping hand to help other children and families in my community each one reach one and most of all pray and believe God for a change.
Judge ye not so you want

Marion, AR

#38 Mar 5, 2013
And I say Amen to this. The young and black specially do not have a voice or anyone on the school board with a voice to speak up for them. Just when they mess up throw them out of the school district and their goes another one struggling and uneducated on the street corner. I feel asthough you carry a position you need not to just hold a seat do the work Blytheville School Board not every member but region 1 you know who you are.
Judge ye not so you want

Marion, AR

#39 Mar 5, 2013
So true.
Judge ye not so you want

Marion, AR

#40 Mar 5, 2013
True saying It takes a Village to raise a child. Some children do pick up what they see at home, and the school is not a parent and yes training do start at home. But their is a gray area here sometimes a child can be going through so much until they give up and join in with the peer pressure for an outlet.
Guest1

Trumann, AR

#41 Mar 5, 2013
Responsibility lies with the parents and the kids, I will agree that there are some bad teachers who probaly shouldn't be teachers.
The problem is no one is being held accountable. Not the kids and not their parents.
Schools and education is just that. Reading, writing, math, science, history etc; along the way our kids learn to socialize and what is acceptable.
I am tired of all the excuses made for the troublemakers and the failures of the kids which many can't read or write a sentence when they get out of school.
There is a tremendous amout of money put into the education process and 100's of free programs to feed, clothe, and baby sit them before, during and after school.
(the old saying goes,"you can lead a horse to the water, but you can NOT make it drink.")
So goes this past and present generation, most can't speak a whole sentence properly, but they know how and where to go to work the system for free taxpayer paid income for medical and living expenses.

Jonesboro, AR

#42 Mar 5, 2013
Judge ye not so you want wrote:
And I say Amen to this. The young and black specially do not have a voice or anyone on the school board with a voice to speak up for them. Just when they mess up throw them out of the school district and their goes another one struggling and uneducated on the street corner. I feel asthough you carry a position you need not to just hold a seat do the work Blytheville School Board not every member but region 1 you know who you are.
I'm having a hard time understanding what it is you're saying. The region 1 member is not doing their job or they are the only one doing it? I attended a recent board meeting, maybe for the very reason you're talking about. It seemed that the board was not doing anything or even commenting about issues that would come up. I based tis on the reporting of our local newspaper, I should have known better! Anyway I went to find out and pretty much all of the board members are having comments and input into the dealings of the school distict. It is the newspaper that makes it sound like they do nothing. After listening to them it made me change my mind about them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gosnell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Austin Nicholson 13 min RealNameDawn 7
Board rejects murder suspectís expulsion 26 min shii happens 116
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 1 hr The Real Truth 40,120
humane society 2 hr Tom 68
City approves $41,675 Expedition for Mayor 16 hr just sayin 62
Who is single 16 hr Bigben 21
Old Air Force Base 19 hr forsure 48

Gosnell Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance