Weirbridge Village logo oak tree already cut down

Full story: Asheville Citizen-Times

Workers have already cut down the huge white oak in front of the Weirbridge Village condominium development, a tree that was the symbol of the project and used as a logo in promotional materials.

Comments (Page 4)

Showing posts 61 - 80 of96
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Rock

Brevard, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2007

local wrote:
<quoted text>
The native American that watched it first sprout 250 years ago...
He just about lived as long as Moses.
AVL Native

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2007

Honestly, some of you people just kill me with your comments.
Sure, it's sad to see such an old tree cut down. But this IS private property. And the owner of it has the right to cut it, just as you have the right to cut trees in your own yard.
Had this tree not been located so close to a busy road, not one word would have been said about it.

Is it possible that, you folks forgot that trees have a natural life expectancy? This thing could have died on it's own in a short time.
Also, if you all are so concerned about one tree... have you ever noticed how many pieces of furniture, or cabinets in your own home are made of Oak. But I guess that don't matter, because it came from somewhere out of your sight.

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2007

Well, I didn't read from any of you "oh, not that tree" types condemnation over all the Xmas trees being cut down, including the ones going to the White House and Times Square and other places. What's wrong? It's okay to that that in the name of CHISTmas?

If you felt that way about that tree you should have bought the property and protected it from the saw.

As for the question how much money does the developer need? Easy answer, as much as can be had because you can never have too much money!

If you think otherwise you should go live in Cuba or North Korea. Not China anymore as even they have seen the light and are starting to embrace capitalism. So much for the "gang of four".
Madison Girl

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2007

To all liberals upset at the cutting down of an oak tree

I KNOW HOW TO MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER

Don't consider the oak tree cut down , instead ,,, just ,,, "visualize" ,,,

that the oak tree was just aborted.

That should ease your liberal concious

LOL
William Tell

Waynesville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2007

I sure could have used that for my fireplace
Rock

Brevard, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2007

AVL Native wrote:
Honestly, some of you people just kill me with your comments.
Sure, it's sad to see such an old tree cut down. But this IS private property. And the owner of it has the right to cut it, just as you have the right to cut trees in your own yard.
Had this tree not been located so close to a busy road, not one word would have been said about it.
Is it possible that, you folks forgot that trees have a natural life expectancy? This thing could have died on it's own in a short time.
Also, if you all are so concerned about one tree... have you ever noticed how many pieces of furniture, or cabinets in your own home are made of Oak. But I guess that don't matter, because it came from somewhere out of your sight.
Most of the furniture is from China and Japan.
Sarah L

Candler, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2007

Madison Girl wrote:
To all liberals upset at the cutting down of an oak tree
I KNOW HOW TO MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER
Don't consider the oak tree cut down , instead ,,, just ,,, "visualize" ,,,
that the oak tree was just aborted.
That should ease your liberal concious
LOL
WOW, seriously, could you be a little bit more of a narrow minded idiot? Not everyone who is concerned about over development is liberal, or in to new age crap. You need to wake up. OPEN YOUR EYES. Not everything in the world is partisan.
Asheville Native

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2007

Boys and girls - Rusty Pulliam paid a huge sum (over $10 million dollars) for the property. At that point, it was going to be developed to the last square inch.

I am a registered Republican, fiscal conservative, business owner and also an environmentalist. When someone has the money and influence to do what Rusty Pulliam does, he has a responsibility to the community to at least consider the impact his decisions have on the community at large - at least morally. His projects take large pieces of the community and change them forever. He paid lip service to the desires of his neighbors, many of them retired, and did what he wanted to do anyway.

If someone as smart and hardworking as Rusty, who has multiple million dollar projects in the works, cannot hire an arborist with any more sense about how to handle large trees than the one he hired, I would not trust any of his projects to move forward correctly.

It is basic knowledge that a large tree like the oak on the property has roots at least to the ends of the branches (rule of thumb but generally close) and they cut the roots half way back at the beginning of the work around it.

Use the tree as a metaphor for working with Mr. Pulliam. If he will spend all the money, time and energy to lie about truly trying to preserve the tree, he will do the same when more is on the line. Why was the story on the front page of the paper? Why was it printed that the tree would come down next week, while at the same time it was being sawn into truckload sized pieces? This was Rusty's PR machine in full swing.

If they truly wanted to preserve that tree, they would have listened to a reputable arborist and then added some extra green space to the estimate of land needed. That is what a truly concerned person would have done. They would have sacrificed a nominal amount of space to make the sight of the tree a truly unique addition to the property.

I have spoken with employees and ex-employees of Mr. Pulliam and to a person they say he is one of the hardest working and driven people they have ever met. Not bad traits, unless they are used to bulldoze your way through the desires and needs of those in your way. Rusty long ago passed the mark of needing more money - he has no wife, no kids, no heirs. He is in this for the sheer game of it all. Be the best, biggest, most powerful.

If he were really concerned about leaving a legacy that people could point to and say "He was the guy that used his money and influence to protect his home (he grew up in Asheville and went to school about a mile from the site of property in the article) and was still financially successful" then he would work to make beautiful, unique properties, not just cookie cutter buildings.

As for the number of comments here versus the comments about the young man that was killed - it is tragic that man lost his life, but thousands of people saw that tree every day. It was a fixture in my life for over 30 years and I am just reacting emotionally to something that has been taken away from me. Something that gave me a sense that things can last in this world. That we as humans can protect some things if we want to and still survive and prosper.

Except that tree got in the way of more money for Pulliam Properties and that was it's death sentence.
greg

Weaverville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2007

does'nt a county commissioner own that land. peterson is her name. i could be wrong but that is how pulliam gets carte blanche.

Since: Aug 07

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2007

Asheville Native wrote:
Except that tree got in the way of more money for Pulliam Properties and that was it's death sentence.
Most developers in this town (including the locals) would chainsaw their mothers in half if they got in the way of making a buck. And most of the Asheville City Council members would be more than willing to hold them down while they did.

It takes a few years to realize what a sick, twisted and corrupt group of good ole boys run this town.
Asheville Native

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2007

The family that owned that land and the land across the street (where the theater and fast food restaurants now stand) sold it to Pulliam Properties.

The land across the street was almost more beautiful than the land that is now being developed. It held two two-story brick houses, an oak tree lined drive and a nursery (the plant type, not the child type). Those two properties were lovely to drive by when they still existed in their more rural state. Now one is horrible to see and the other will soon be.
Asheville Native

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2007

I just reread the Christmas tree comment. That is not the same thing by a long stretch. Christmas trees are a crop. They are raised to be cut down so that more can be raised in their place. I don't get all misty eyed about corn stalks or sunflowers being cut down (granted, their life expectancy is not like that of a Frasier Fir).

A 250-year-old White Oak will not be replaced in our lifetime, or our children's, or their children's or their children's. This thing was around since before the Declaration of Independence was signed. Does that put it into a bit more context?
luna

Conover, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2007

Cutting that tree was like pulling hair from its roots. You can't just plug in a new one.
anonymous

Wellford, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2007

He bought it from a Planning and Zoning Commission member and his family.

If many of you loved that tree so much you should have bought the property yourselves and placed the land into a conservation easement.

I too enjoyed the cows, the trees, the lack of poor development along this one last stretch of Hendersonville Road but it is zoned highway business and once the road improvements went in, the writing was on the wall for all to see. It was only a matter of time.

I just wish someone more creative, innovative and just plain more deserving had bought the land.

And for the record our current city council is not developer/ development friendly. Review any of the new ordinances and you will see why tearing down a 250 year old tree is necessary to make a project feasible. You may laugh and scoff at this in terms of this development in particular but if you would do some research you will find this to be very true. To make a LEED project with an affordable housing component, the land remaining for the commercial area becomes extremely vital.

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2007

Asheville Native wrote:
And...so what's your point? Most of us got over that fixation stuff when we lost our first cat or dog or grandparent.
Wall of Voodoo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2007

Is there any doubt this tree was cut down as soon as the developer became aware this story would be in the ACT?
tfj

Rocky Mount, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2007

Wall of Voodoo wrote:
Is there any doubt this tree was cut down as soon as the developer became aware this story would be in the ACT?
I agree. It seems as if the developer knew there would be protests, etc. if he waited until next week to cut the tree as first reported...so arrange it now and avoid that protest.
Asheville Native

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2007

So Stone Jack - are you saying that you no longer have any feeling about losing things that matter to you? After Rover got clipped by a car, you were immune to sadness? Somehow I doubt that.

I have watched hundreds of acres being developed with an entire lack of creativity or without being mindful to how it effects or impacts the community. I am not against development or cutting trees necessarily, but if you don't see the difference between some 40 year old innocuous pine tree and a 250 year old prototypical hardwood tree, then you wouldn't understand my reasoning for being upset.

“RadicalDudette”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2007

"Old oak will stay near home ó as wainscoting."

Now isn't that special.

Developer Rusty Pulliam - are you happy now?

"The existing tree, which is less than 100 yards from Hendersonville Road, has a 54-inch diameter and could be 200-250 years old, according to one arboristís estimate."

http://cmsimg.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcsi.dl...
randy parton

Conover, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2007

Pull'em needs to find another wife and have some kids, give him a reason not to stripmall all of south asheville. Maybe if we convince him to sign up on a match service like sugardaddy.com or wealthymen.com he would be too busy to chop more trees.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 61 - 80 of96
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Goose Creek Discussions

Search the Goose Creek Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Southern Baptists bring message of Christianity... 11 hr Sigh 1
SC SC state senator refers to candidate as 'raghead' (Jun '10) 15 hr Bonnie Wheeler 1,120
Segars-Andrews Jails Father. Supreme Ct Reverses (Jan '10) Fri This Is Shocking 10
judge segars-andrews' dark side (Dec '09) Fri This Is Shocking 11
Segars-Andrews Mental Health Now In Question (Dec '09) Fri This Is Shocking 14
Judge Segars-Andrews: Post and Courier Comments (Dec '09) Fri This Is Shocking 39
Investigation continues into Myrtle Beach Memor... Jul 11 Old Dirty Turd 10
•••
•••
•••
•••

Goose Creek Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Goose Creek People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE