Married priests inspire flock

Married priests inspire flock

There are 20 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Apr 3, 2009, titled Married priests inspire flock. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

There are few women who can say they are married to a Roman Catholic priest. And few people who can say their dad is the man whom Catholic churchgoers address formally as "Father Steve." But Cindy Anderson and her three sons can, and they were among the rush of congregants who gathered for 10 a.m. mass on a recent Sunday at St.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Since: Jun 08

Las Cruces, NM

#1 Apr 3, 2009
If you are non Catholic and want to learn more about Catholics Come Home and returning to your Catholic faith is a good web site.

http://www.catholicscomehome.org/

If you are a Protestant minister, this site has good information.

http://www.ewtn.com/journeyhome/index.asp

Enjoy
Remove the blind folds

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Apr 4, 2009
Corner an RC priest and ask if they have been without any kind of sexual pleasure ever in their lives as a priest. If they tell the truth they admit they have.
This article sort of just says the " Church" but down plays the Eastern Orthodox. Now study the different between sexual abuse amonog the RC priests and the Eastern. The Eastern do marry sort of cuts that down to zero fast. Also study how Johnny Ireland booted out Alexis Toth right here in ST Paul.
Or how about the one pope who turned out to be a woman ? check out the test of the " chair " where somebody peeks to make sure is a male.
Oh well Easter is coming and I ask how can you wish anybody a Happy Easter, when it should be for the morning of the supposed Head of the Church ?
Deacon Jesse Sias

Fort Worth, TX

#3 Jan 23, 2010
Praise Jesus for married Priest!!!! Married Priest are the future for are church!!!!!
LYNN A

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Jan 23, 2010
Deacon Jesse Sias wrote:
Praise Jesus for married Priest!!!! Married Priest are the future for are church!!!!!
I certainly hope so. It is unatural to expect a man to not procreate, much less share their love with a woman. Why deny huamns a happy life with a family of their own? This "religious" law making priests be celibate is obviously man made, like most of the catholic laws. God did not come down and declare this to be. And man should have abolished it long ago. Even the monks living like they do gives me the creeps. Too hermit like and mysteriouly creepy thoughts come to mind. ewwww.

Las Cruces, NM

#5 Jan 23, 2010
Deacon Jesse Sias wrote:
You forgot to mention who "are church" is. You should also state who the women was that Jesus married and why she deserted him when he died for us on the Cross.
space flight 5498

United States

#6 Jan 24, 2010
hi
citizen

Bath, PA

#7 Jan 24, 2010
I hope more married priest are welcome back to the Church.
Most Catholic's don't know that married prist were allowed back in the 10 and 11th centry.
I am a byzintine Catholic and was Baptised by a married priest back in 1937. But in 1927 the Roman Catholic priest wrote a letter to the Pope and complained about the Byzitine prist being married in America, and 1928. the Pope banned them from getting married. THe priest that baptised me was really a great person. I am thankful that I knew him.
LYNN A

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Jan 24, 2010
Thomas F Schraad wrote:
<quoted text>
You forgot to mention who "are church" is. You should also state who the women was that Jesus married and why she deserted him when he died for us on the Cross.
Deserted Him? Where did you get that little tidbit from? Quite the oposite!
Sarah D

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Jan 24, 2010
The Roman Catholic Church has always stated that sex is to be mainly for procreation. In the medieval church it was thought that a family would distract the priest and nun from their spiritual duties to God. Also sex was "of the flesh" and the clergy were suppose to be above that.

Well of course it didn't work out that way. Since the Church became the "career path" of many second sons of nobles, many bishops, archbishops and cardinals not only had mistresses but thriving families as well.

These days the celibacy rule which prevents a priest from marrying is the number one cause as to why there is such a shortage of young men entering the seminaries. And it inadvertently attracts pederasts because it provides an environment whereby a lack of a sexual partner (whether female or male) doesn't raise eyebrows.

Las Cruces, NM

#10 Jan 24, 2010
LYNN A wrote:
<quoted text> Deserted Him? Where did you get that little tidbit from? Quite the oposite!
Did you read the post that I was commented on? The poster stated that Jesus was married. My comment was, if Jesus was married, why wasn't she at the foot of the Cross when Jesus was crucified.

Maybe you didn't get my sarcasm in my reply to the poster.

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#11 Jan 24, 2010
Thomas F Schraad wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you read the post that I was commented on? The poster stated that Jesus was married. My comment was, if Jesus was married, why wasn't she at the foot of the Cross when Jesus was crucified.
You might find the book Holy Blood Holy Grail of interest. Highly speculative, but entertaining.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#12 Jan 25, 2010
Thomas F Schraad wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Thomas,

Who says she wasn't?

Now, I'm not into making things up. But, if Jesus had a wife who was either pregnant or who had already given him children, do you suppose she would have been in danger and at considerable risk?

Either way, married or not, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. But, it is an interesting and significant fact that to be a Rabbi at that time, you were supposed to be married.

Pure speculation.

KGC

Las Cruces, NM

#13 Jan 25, 2010
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Thomas,
Who says she wasn't?

Who says she was? Being that the bible states who was there at the crucifixion, if Jesus was married, she surely would of been mentioned. Also, if Jesus was married, the writers of the gospel would have stated this. My opinion.

[QUOTE who="RevKen"] Now, I'm not into making things up. But, if Jesus had a wife who was either pregnant or who had already given him children, do you suppose she would have been in danger and at considerable risk?
I would say she would have been at a great risk. Also, if she was with child, the son of Jesus (or daughter) would of been sought out and also killed as the child would of been an heir. Keeping in mind that some thought that Jesus was to be their earthly King.
RevKen wrote:
Either way, married or not, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. But, it is an interesting and significant fact that to be a Rabbi at that time, you were supposed to be married. Pure speculation. KGC
Rabbi's had to be married? I spent an hour googling and could not find any statement to back up your statement. I came to the conclusion that they did not have to be married as Rabbi's today, students studying to become Rabbi's are called Rabbi's upon reaching a certain level of knowledge. If they are students, they may not as yet married.

Also, I found that "In ancient Hebrew, rabbi was a proper term of address while speaking to a superior". So if Jesus was teaching his disciples, the word Rabbi would be appropriate.

Also to be noted that my comments are being made to the "Pure speculation" that RevKen was addressing.
LYNN A

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Jan 26, 2010
Thomas F Schraad wrote:
<quoted text>
I've simply beem told and have watch alot of the history channel (go ahead and laugh) and other supposedly"real" stuff on the matter and one story has it tht Mary magdelyn (spelling) was Jesus' wife. Well she was at the foot of the cross for some time before he died. Along with Mary, Mother of Jesus. I don't know what to think anymore. I would like to think that this is the case though. If anyone deserved a good woman and if Jesus was the way I hasve been taught, then I can easily see him marrying this former prostitute beacuse he genuinely loved her and did not judge her. And I also believe that thru Him, she began on the path to rightiousness.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#15 Jan 26, 2010
LYNN A wrote:
<quoted text>I've simply beem told and have watch alot of the history channel (go ahead and laugh) and other supposedly"real" stuff on the matter and one story has it tht Mary magdelyn (spelling) was Jesus' wife. Well she was at the foot of the cross for some time before he died. Along with Mary, Mother of Jesus. I don't know what to think anymore. I would like to think that this is the case though. If anyone deserved a good woman and if Jesus was the way I hasve been taught, then I can easily see him marrying this former prostitute beacuse he genuinely loved her and did not judge her. And I also believe that thru Him, she began on the path to rightiousness.
I'd go along with Thomas in that the moniker of "Rabbi" may have been spoken as an acknowledgment of "Teacher." Some modern scholars and theologians believe that John the Baptist was an "Essene." His mother and Mary, Jesus' mother, were closely related and knew each other. Also, John's parents were both listed as being of a priestly tribe, Zechariah of the order of Abijah and Elizabeth, a descendant of Aaron. Could Joseph and Mary have been Essenes, also? Possibly.

John knew of and expected Jesus. Were they both Essenes? We wonder what Jesus did and where he had been in the years intervening between when he had gone to the Temple by himself at about age twelve until we read of him at the the river Jordan nearly twenty years later. Some accounts have him traveling into the far East where he received instruction in the Ancient Mysteries.

Also, Mary Magdalene is not now believed to have been a prostitute. Instead, an early pope created that story or impression about her. The story served to reduce her stature in the early church during the time that it became more patristic.

The fact remains that Mary Magdalene was the first to see the Risen Lord and therefore, the first to spread the Gospel of Christ - even to the Apostles.

KGC

Las Cruces, NM

#16 Jan 26, 2010
LYNN A wrote:
<quoted text>I've simply beem told and have watch alot of the history channel (go ahead and laugh) and other supposedly"real" stuff on the matter and one story has it tht Mary magdelyn (spelling) was Jesus' wife.
No need to laugh, I like watching things pertaining to history as well. You need to be careful so that you can separate fact from fiction. A great source for historical data. Any questions that bother me, I just google and generally find that the media just pick an "opinion" that they can present to reach a forgone conclusion that they apparently already had. As you commented above, a story and may I suggest that this story is fiction with a lot of facts which makes it difficult not to believe.
LYNN A wrote:
Well she was at the foot of the cross for some time before he died. Along with Mary, Mother of Jesus. I don't know what to think anymore. I would like to think that this is the case though. If anyone deserved a good woman and if Jesus was the way I hasve been taught, then I can easily see him marrying this former prostitute beacuse he genuinely loved her and did not judge her. And I also believe that thru Him, she began on the path to rightiousness.
I also believe that through Jesus she took the path of righteousness. So did a lot of other people and today we have billions that have made this good choice.

If Jesus married, I would think someplace in the writings of the Gospels, someone would have announced this great event. Until I have further proof, I will wait till God says "this is my daughter-in-law in whom I am well pleased". Until then, she was a disciple of Jesus and she holds the distinction of being the first to see Jesus after his Resurrection. What a great honor that Jesus gave to Mary.

Las Cruces, NM

#17 Jan 26, 2010
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd go along with Thomas in that the moniker of "Rabbi" may have been spoken as an acknowledgment of "Teacher." Some modern scholars and theologians believe that John the Baptist was an "Essene." His mother and Mary, Jesus' mother, were closely related and knew each other. Also, John's parents were both listed as being of a priestly tribe, Zechariah of the order of Abijah and Elizabeth, a descendant of Aaron. Could Joseph and Mary have been Essenes, also? Possibly.
John knew of and expected Jesus. Were they both Essenes? We wonder what Jesus did and where he had been in the years intervening between when he had gone to the Temple by himself at about age twelve until we read of him at the the river Jordan nearly twenty years later. Some accounts have him traveling into the far East where he received instruction in the Ancient Mysteries.
Also, Mary Magdalene is not now believed to have been a prostitute. Instead, an early pope created that story or impression about her. The story served to reduce her stature in the early church during the time that it became more patristic.
The fact remains that Mary Magdalene was the first to see the Risen Lord and therefore, the first to spread the Gospel of Christ - even to the Apostles.
KGC
A very good post. Thank you.

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

#18 Jan 29, 2010
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
KGC
Along that line, she attended (bathed, spiced, clothed) to his body before burial, the act required of a wife or immediate family member.

In those times, in that culture, being single would have been thought of as extremely odd, it would have been mention in the NT....
Deacon Jesse Sias

Euless, TX

#19 Jun 2, 2010
LYNN A wrote:
<quoted text>I certainly hope so. It is unatural to expect a man to not procreate, much less share their love with a woman. Why deny huamns a happy life with a family of their own? This "religious" law making priests be celibate is obviously man made, like most of the catholic laws. God did not come down and declare this to be. And man should have abolished it long ago. Even the monks living like they do gives me the creeps. Too hermit like and mysteriouly creepy thoughts come to mind. ewwww.
Deacon Jesse Sias I have to say that this comment is not very nice keep in mind that celibacy is a gift from God! and is found through scripture.....
Deacon Jesse Sias

Euless, TX

#20 Jun 2, 2010
Celibacy with in the Priest hood is a gift and a great witness! But Also marriage with in the Priest hood is also a great testimony for families only if there is order in the family like Timothy said..... Celibacy is not a creepy thing brother it is a Gift from God it is a calling!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Goodrich Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
should boys like wearing panties? (Sep '09) Jul 8 Photousa 246
News Republic is in, Rizzo is out Jul 2 thealertone 1
tommy ryan Jun '15 xx 1
A Green Beret in our midst May '15 A Real Veteran 2
News Sewer campaign begins: 'Livable legacy of Orton... May '15 Karen Sleva 1
Snapchat me girls for fun in bored May '15 Hottie_155 1
Panties (Jul '14) May '15 Hottie_155 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Goodrich Mortgages