House kills expanded deadly force bill

House kills expanded deadly force bill

There are 108 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Mar 13, 2008, titled House kills expanded deadly force bill. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Minnesota's version of the "Castle Doctrine'' was shown the door Thursday. In the first legislative hearing for a bill broadening the circumstances in which people could shoot others in self-defense, a House ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Paul Kersey

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Mar 14, 2008
Just waiting.
cookiemann

Marshall, MN

#4 Mar 14, 2008
You are the moron, Whitey. This law would give you the same right to defend yourself in the Walmart parking lot as you have to defend yourself at home. You would not be required to retreat. Would you rather have your daughter/wife stuffed in the trunk of her car and found dead 6 months later in a ditch, because she was unable to RETREAT. Not me. I would rather she have the RIGHT to pull out her 38 and defend herself.
As for the arguments of bullets flying in the neighborhoods, well, you have that now.
An American

Plymouth, MN

#5 Mar 14, 2008
Dumb-O-Crats wrote:
Yup, hug therapy for robbers who break into your house and rape your wife.
Thanks DemoCOMMIES!
The detached from reality DFL "act" on legislation of this type only if the tragedy happened to them personally or a close family member.
Angry Workingman

Plymouth, MN

#6 Mar 14, 2008
*I posted this elsewhere, but it is appropriate here also*
I am not a lawyer, but I have have frequent discussions with a couple lawyers and personal defense is discussed on occasion.
Both lawyers agreed that if an "evil doer" breaks into your home, you are in your home, you are not near your front or rear door (meaning you attempted to extricate yourself from immediate harm), you are threatened with great bodily harm or death, and you defend yourself and the "evil doer" is wounded or dies, this is about the only scenario that you will "most likely" not be sued by the wounded "evil doer" or now dead "evil doers" family or spend any time in jail.
Now, I do not know about you, but that sounds like an awful lot of "star alignment" needs to occur in order to defend yourself without fear of prosecution yourself.
Since I do not have deep pockets, I would prefer to have legislation of this type granting me a little more latitude in my ability to defend myself from great bodily harm and any subsequent lawsuits from the "evil doer" or "evil doers" family.
And yes all you chicken littles, the means to prosecute and sue me in the event I or anyone else exceeds the new guidelines will still be in place.
Hmmmmmm

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Mar 14, 2008
Please remember come November. We get the government we choose. The good news is, we can also choose the government we get.
Ghost of Christmas Future

Diamond Bar, CA

#8 Mar 14, 2008
I prefer whacking the intruder over the head with a sock filled with little lumps of coal. It's less messy than a firearm.

This protection includes my back yard. So, Mr. Johnson, DON'T TRESPASS! Especially at night! You've been fairly warned.
Red Ryder

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Mar 14, 2008
BearManNorth wrote:
Same crap you heard when CC was up for discussion None of it came true. Vivian Nelson is so full of bull it`s not even funny. Doug Johnson? He`s a joke himself.
What do you mean? Since the Minnesota Personal Protection Act passed,the churches have become morgues,the streets are running red with the blood of innocents, hot lead is flying everywhere
like the movie The Matrix, the Mall of America is closing shop due to lost revenue from a legislators afraid to shop there,our city halls and
municipal buildings have become carnival shooting galleries, and the Metrodome grounds crews are using snow plows to clear the place of
spent shell casings from all the shooting going on.

Morning jogs at Como Park(now renamed Killing Fields) consist of sprints done in zig-zag
patterns from tree to tree,normally law-abiding citizens are now brandishing guns at fellow motorists ,and you can't eat at a restaraunt
without borrowing your legislator's bullet-proof vest.
Augustus Pern

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Mar 14, 2008
Since I refuse to read the story, or the bill that was defeated, I am outraged at this. Now its illegal to harm criminals? Even if they are raping my children and pets? How silly!

I am totally disenfranchised by the bicameral legislature and their thug-hugging agenda.
Freedom Lover

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Mar 14, 2008
Washington County Attorney Doug Johnson is an idiot! Apparently he isn't bright enough to know that gang-bangers don't have conceal carry permits so the self defense wouldn't fly. Either that or he' a garden variety lying jerk.
Freedom Lover

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Mar 14, 2008
Red Ryder,
Don't forget all the armed robberies artound the liberal bastian Lake Nokomis.
left st paul

Lakeville, MN

#16 Mar 14, 2008
in my opinion those people who put people in a position of having to defend
themselves have lost all rights and must endure the consequences. there option is to leave people alone and do no one intentional harm. in other words try to lead a good life, live and let live and try to be a good person.

however, as long long as we have advocates in the legislature who do not
believe in strong deterrents, the innocent people will continue to be the victims,
helpless by the nature of our laws.

“Get RIGHT or be left”

Since: Nov 07

www.dreamindemon.com

#17 Mar 14, 2008
Wow...good thing this did not pass!

I was concerned that the criminals might get hurt while robbing, raping and murdering! I mean, getting raped or robbed in your car is far less traumatic than in your house, um, right?

I have a lovely wife and three awesome children (including two red headed girls). I don't care where it might be (and I pray it never does), but I will happily do the prison time in order to: 1. protect my family and, 2. give my family the peace of mind that their husband/father will do whatever it takes to protect them.

They know that today. They sleep well at night.
Tax This

Bemidji, MN

#18 Mar 14, 2008
This sentence is too funny:

Vivian Jenkins Nelson, of the League of Women Voters, said the measure also would lead to more stray bullets in many neighborhoods.

How many stray bullets are there already! LOL!
Enuf

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Mar 14, 2008
Jeff T, Could we all gather for a moment of silence to celebrate to "Good Shootin" of Ellie Nessler?
John - St Paul

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Mar 14, 2008
In 2005 more than 280,000 crimes were prevented or stopped by private citizen's with handguns. Of course you wouldn't find that fact in the newspaper or hear it on the network news as it flies in the face of the media's gun control agenda.

Why is it so difficult to realize that guns are not a threat to honest, hard-working people, but a deterrant to those who would violate their rights to self-preservation, protection of personal property and government tyranny. These were the justifications of the Founders and hold true as long as these threats exist.

It is unfortunate that the League of Women Voters, Chambers of Commerce and other 'service to member' organizations have forsaken the American Dream. Liberty, opportunity and self reliance have been traded for mob gratification and a redistribution of wealth. Only criminals carry guns with the intent of violating the rights of the honest.

Perhaps Vivian Nelson will someday become a victim of her ignorance and mistrust. Some lessons have to learned the hard way.
You should

Capron, IL

#21 Mar 14, 2008
Whitey wrote:
Tony Cornish is an idiot. Maybe the PP ought to look into his background just a bit more. I'm sure you will find a few things to write about.
As for this law getting flushed, GOOD DEAL! Morons like the guy who posted above me don't realize YOU CAN ALREADY USE DEADLY FORCE to defend your home. You should not need it to defend your outhouse.
There's a setting somewhere on Topix that lets people click your name in one post and see everything you've posted. You should turn that on.
Retired Soldier

Cottage Grove, MN

#22 Mar 14, 2008
Once again the podium has been taken over by the paranoid, doomsdayers! The sky will fall! Anarchy will prevail and all that is bad in the world will happen if we allow law abiding, trained, and registered gun owners to defend themselves and their homes! That's the same argument they used when the conceal carry law was being debated. It wasnt a surprise to many of us that all their dire predictions of lawlessness and mayhem failed to materialize. Not a single prediction the anti-gun, anti-defend yourself crowd made ever came close to coming true. They are too dumb to realize that the people to trust are not the criminals, but the citizens who are law abiding.
Miss Kitty

Saint Paul, MN

#23 Mar 14, 2008
The phrase "shown the door" was a dead giveaway to the reporter's thoughts about the matter. Not to mention the editor, if there was one. Took all of one sentence. Which of the groups of nine voters in the tie were shown the door?
BC Mathews

Saint Paul, MN

#24 Mar 14, 2008
Well, coming from a state that recently tried to convict a juvenile who was chased and attacked by three knife yielding adults is hardly surprising. It has nothing to do with gangs using it as an excuse but everything to do with a state that wants to control every breath and movement a citizen makes. It is so interesting that this great nation was born because a tyrannical empire wanted to disarm and tax to death the residents of this country. With the new tax bill and this latest restriction that does not allow a resident to protect themselves, their family or others, what's next?
Mike from Maple Grove

Somerset, WI

#25 Mar 14, 2008
Liberals like Vivian Nelson are probably afraid that conservative, law abiding citizens like us, might do bodily harm to her. Don't worry Vivian, we want to physically protect ourself from criminals not you. Your type of crime is ignorance and not worthy of anything but shame. I bet you have a nice and expensive security system in your home don't you. Hey, tell the nice folks that don't need laws in order to carry guns, what your address is. Cat got your tongue?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Good Thunder Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tanning Jun 20 Drift45 1
News Mankato, Minn. / Conjoined twins' dad back in jail (Apr '07) Mar '17 MNPOSSUM 79
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Jan '14 DutchQ 11
News Minnesota House votes to halt seat-belt stops (May '11) May '11 Arch on larch 51
News Cornish's self-defense bill under fire (May '11) May '11 Jabber 3
News Deadly force bill gaining traction in Minnesota... (Apr '11) May '11 Rice Streeter 80
News Sheriffs denounce bill to put prisoners in loca... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Ohio Wrangler 1

Good Thunder Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Good Thunder Mortgages