Lake Crystal survey finds discontent ...

Lake Crystal survey finds discontent with cops

There are 1 comment on the The Mankato Free Press story from Oct 26, 2009, titled Lake Crystal survey finds discontent with cops. In it, The Mankato Free Press reports that:

A survey initiated to see if Lake Crystal residents would support a child care facility also found a fair percentage of people are unhappy with the city's Police Department.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Mankato Free Press.

Discontent Citizen

Saint Peter, MN

#1 Nov 9, 2009
After a recent article in the Lake Crystal Tribune and the Mankato Free Press pertaining to the Lake Crystal Police Dept. and Tony Cornish I thought you may be interested in the following information.
The amount of vandalism has been increasing in Lake Crystal. Such places as the Lake Crystal Elementary School and the First Baptist Church have been a recent target according to call logs. As the property damage goes up in town it seems the level of city police patrol has dropped dramatically. According to police logs there has been more and more patrol on hwy 60 by the Lake Crystal Police Dept.

I decided to look into the police logs and this is what I found. There were 32 traffic stops between the 20th and the morning of the 29th of October. Of those traffic stops 6 were made in town and 26 were on Hwy 60 or off city streets. That is about 81% of traffic stops being made on the highway or outside of the city.

With the ongoing vandalisms and the recent vandalism to a local church one would think it would be better to have more patrol on the streets of Lake Crystal. Granted police cannot be everywhere at once in town but being seen patrolling the streets leaves uncertainty in the minds of these vandals and allows for a faster response to calls of service. Listed below is the traffic stop data obtained from the Mankato Free Press police logs.( http://www.mankatofreepress.com/policelogs

The truth of the matter is that this goes on while there is a Police Chief supervising the officers. As the Police Chief I am sure he is fully aware of where his officers are and what they are doing, but yet Chief Cornish lets it continue. What is going to stop it from getting worse once he departs to St. Paul In January of 2010 to serve as a State Rep.? Let the Lake Crystal city leaders know you are concerned for the safety of yourself, your property, and how your tax dollars are being spent within a city that is already experiencing a deficit and raising taxes.

I was disheartened by Mayor McKinzie’s quote in the Free Press saying “Even the Police Department received a “good” rating overall.” So he suspects those who singled the department out “really don’t want officers to do their job.”“The complaints are that they’re enforcing the law,”(Mayor Pat McKinzie). This couldn’t be more incorrect. Everyone I have spoken with is concerned that they are not doing their job. Think back to when it wasn’t uncommon to see the lake crystal police patrolling around town or past your house 2-3 times a day. The only time I see them now is on the highway, parked at the high school, or parked having lunch at one of the restaurants in town.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Good Thunder Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Truman ready to settle lawsuit (Mar '08) Aug '15 Yess 2
Better off than five years ago? Jul '15 Ohio resident 2
Taylor corporation Jul '15 Ohio resident 1
News Accused Elysian bank robber, 70, chooses jail o... (Dec '10) Jun '15 Grams 9
News Parents in W'bago mull future Jun '15 hope maybe 1
News Sensient expanding in Amboy Jun '15 pic 1
News Minnesota Senate nixes Sunday liquor sales Apr '15 Not so 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Good Thunder Mortgages