Minnesota House expands gun rights in...

Minnesota House expands gun rights in self-defense situations

There are 105 comments on the TwinCities.com story from May 14, 2011, titled Minnesota House expands gun rights in self-defense situations. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A bill expanding rights to use deadly force in self-defense situations cleared the Minnesota House on Saturday evening.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Awesome

Saint Paul, MN

#1 May 14, 2011
Guns, God, and Gays. Your Republican Party.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
BabyRaeRae

United States

#2 May 14, 2011
Awesome wrote:
Loser

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Doomster

Minneapolis, MN

#3 May 14, 2011
Awesome wrote:
I wonder when and if the Republicans will ever get around to dealing with the budget shortfall? Evidently there is plenty of time for them to be posturing for their supporters for the next election. God forbid we actually thought they might do something once the idiots got in office. As much as the zealots that post here do not like admitting it, the Republicans are just like the Liberals in wasting time doing everything to look good but no real tough issues get dealt with.
good

Kansas City, KS

#4 May 14, 2011
Glad to see some politicians are still looking out for our rights instead of restricting them. This is a common sense law, if someone is on your property and shouldn't be, that's threatening, what are they doing there and what's their intention? These are questions anyone's going to ask before taking action, no one is going to intentionally try to do harm someone, but we should have the right to protect ourselves and not be prosecuted for doing so.
Thurber

Minneapolis, MN

#5 May 14, 2011
"'This is just a really terrible law that reverses all of our criminal law,'' said Rep. Joe Mullery, DFL-Minneapolis, adding,'It makes it almost impossible to convict people of murder.''' Much better than trying to convict someone of armed robbery, breaking and entering, assault with a deadly weapon...the intruder is dead.

Of course, having Paymar say "I can just pull out my pistol and blow you away,'' speaks of his own rationality of being dissed by a Republican on the House floor. Sorry, Rep. Michael Paymar; but the House floor isn't your own private residence.
heyyourhonorman

Saint Paul, MN

#6 May 14, 2011
Great news but all the liberals will be whining and the wussy governor will probably veto this. I don't care as I will protect my family whereever I am - no one is going to limit my 2nd amendment rights. Whine on liberals.
Thurber

Minneapolis, MN

#7 May 14, 2011
Doomster wrote:
<quoted text> As much as the zealots that post here do not like admitting it, the Republicans are just like the Liberals in wasting time doing everything to look good but no real tough issues get dealt with.
Not really--the Lib's spend money on social issues.
HistoryBuff

Minneapolis, MN

#8 May 14, 2011
EVEN THE ANTI-GUN, LIBERAL, IN HIS IGNORANT BLISS, will be protected in his home by this bill! A burglar, robber, rapist, not knowing which home a gun owner resides in, will be more hesitant to enter ALL homes! Unless of course, a TRUE Liberal wishes to place a sign at his door declaring this to be a "gun free home"! Even more & more businesses are removing these idiotic declarations from their entrances. Decry this bill as you will, Oh Politically Correct one, but enjoy its benefits!
Dingus Magee

Delano, MN

#9 May 14, 2011
The lawyers hate this bill, thus the DFL also. Under it the homeowner doesn't have to prove innocence and shouldn't need a blood-sucking ambulance chaser. If you don't like it stay out of other people's houses you dirtbags.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Aaron

New Ulm, MN

#10 May 14, 2011
I simply don’t understand WHY this is even something that’s being debated. Having always been a gun advocate and a supporter of self-defense I just don’t see the need to alter what we have now in terms of law. If someone breaks into your home and you feel that you or your family’s lives are in danger SHOOT! If someone is in your yard, garage, porch… call police and keep your gun handy till they arrive! Adding to this law will only confuse people that shouldn’t be running around their yard with guns. The people with common sense are safe the way we are in my opinion. If it isn’t broke, don’t fix it!

If Cornish wanted to work on something productive why not work on a law that would increase the penalty for killing someone when you choose to drink and drive? A good example of this would be the recent case of John R. Peterson who received 4 years and 2 months for the death of Kandyce Stoffel. Something just seems wrong with the system there…BUT by all means Cornish lets worry about shooting people in our yard!
Justin

Minneapolis, MN

#11 May 14, 2011
"...and would put officers in greater risk of being shot." If the intruder is shot dead, how is it a risk to police officers? Of course, what happens if the intruder breaks into a police officer's home?
unbelievable

Eden Prairie, MN

#12 May 14, 2011
This should never have been a debate in the first place. And if the cops are too pumped up to handle such a situation and not rational enough to figure out who is who, they ought not to be wearing a uniform. I just found out from a neighbor of a family who lives in Chaska that there apparently was a call made to the cops about a shot heard. Chaska, Chanhanssen and Waconia responded with nine squad cars and a swat team to boot along with a helicopter. As the cops were about to bust down the door of the house, the guy I know went over to see what the commotion was all about and as it turned out, the call was bogus. A bill should be send to the bogus caller for all the manpower. Not to mention, this was pure overkill. Take these Chaska, Chan and Waconia cops and put them downtown LA in gangland for two months, night shift. Then take them out of uniform until they can figure out what an emergency really is what when it is not. I don't want to hear this crap about how they always have to be ready. This was total overreaction. Oh, this family has hired attorneys and plan to sue these departments. I hope they win millions from these amazon yahoos.
Mike

Winona, MN

#13 May 14, 2011
I don't think that this law will result in more shootings. I think that it is a brazen lie to proclaim that police officers will be justifiably murdered as they chase suspects through back yards. I do need to know that those people who exercise this new right will be required to prove that a lesser level of force wouldn't have prevented the alleged crime involved. Right now cops are required to prove in court that same argument so I think it only fair that citizens be under the same onus. If not, this bill should be vetoed.
Justin

Minneapolis, MN

#14 May 14, 2011
Aaron wrote:
If someone is in your yard, garage, porch… call police and keep your gun handy till they arrive! Adding to this law will only confuse people that shouldn’t be running around their yard with guns.
Then wouldn't this law be helpful to you?
unbelievable

Eden Prairie, MN

#15 May 14, 2011
HistoryBuff wrote:
EVEN THE ANTI-GUN, LIBERAL, IN HIS IGNORANT BLISS, will be protected in his home by this bill! A burglar, robber, rapist, not knowing which home a gun owner resides in, will be more hesitant to enter ALL homes! Unless of course, a TRUE Liberal wishes to place a sign at his door declaring this to be a "gun free home"! Even more & more businesses are removing these idiotic declarations from their entrances. Decry this bill as you will, Oh Politically Correct one, but enjoy its benefits!
Yeah I agree. For every politician that votes against this bills, they will be required to post the sign in their lawn until they are out of office or vote otherwise. Let's see where the courage really lies, in the cops after the fact or in the hands of armed, law abiding citizens.
unbelievable

Eden Prairie, MN

#16 May 14, 2011
Aaron wrote:
I simply don’t understand WHY this is even something that’s being debated. Having always been a gun advocate and a supporter of self-defense I just don’t see the need to alter what we have now in terms of law. If someone breaks into your home and you feel that you or your family’s lives are in danger SHOOT! If someone is in your yard, garage, porch… call police and keep your gun handy till they arrive! Adding to this law will only confuse people that shouldn’t be running around their yard with guns. The people with common sense are safe the way we are in my opinion. If it isn’t broke, don’t fix it!
If Cornish wanted to work on something productive why not work on a law that would increase the penalty for killing someone when you choose to drink and drive? A good example of this would be the recent case of John R. Peterson who received 4 years and 2 months for the death of Kandyce Stoffel. Something just seems wrong with the system there…BUT by all means Cornish lets worry about shooting people in our yard!
What this bill does, is what our rights should have always been, if someone is on your deck with a baseball bat breaking your window, or busted into your garage, they are not there to have coffee with you. You know what already as a responsible gun owner. And as another responsible gun owner, we are not stupid people. If they are in our yards, of course, common sense speaks first, that is if they are brandishing a gun pointing it in your direction. Those are the circumstances that the police won't have time to help you with. It is called, as you describe, common sense. Use it.
unbelievable

Eden Prairie, MN

#17 May 14, 2011
unbelievable wrote:
This should never have been a debate in the first place. And if the cops are too pumped up to handle such a situation and not rational enough to figure out who is who, they ought not to be wearing a uniform. I just found out from a neighbor of a family who lives in Chaska that there apparently was a call made to the cops about a shot heard. Chaska, Chanhanssen and Waconia responded with nine squad cars and a swat team to boot along with a helicopter. As the cops were about to bust down the door of the house, the guy I know went over to see what the commotion was all about and as it turned out, the call was bogus. A bill should be send to the bogus caller for all the manpower. Not to mention, this was pure overkill. Take these Chaska, Chan and Waconia cops and put them downtown LA in gangland for two months, night shift. Then take them out of uniform until they can figure out what an emergency really is what when it is not. I don't want to hear this crap about how they always have to be ready. This was total overreaction. Oh, this family has hired attorneys and plan to sue these departments. I hope they win millions from these amazon yahoos.
And for everyone who disagrees with me. I hope this happens to you when they bust your door down, demand you drop, your kids cry when you never shot a gun. Let's see how lovely you think the cops are when they take total strangers words over a phone as legitimate.
Whatever

Las Vegas, NV

#18 May 14, 2011
In a perfect world, armed intruders who wish to do harm to innocent homeowners would only go to homes occupied by liberals.

That way, the liberal won't have to worry about shooting a poor criminal who just didn't have the same opportunities in life as the rest of us capitalist pigs who work for a living, and the criminal won't have to worry about getting himself killed while committing a crime. Granted, that pinko-commie-hippy liberal will probably end up dead, but at least he'll have died with a clean liberal conscience knowing he didn't do something terrible, like defend his home or family the way a real man would do.

The rest of us sane people will live happily ever after.

Phil

Minneapolis, MN

#20 May 14, 2011
Black guy breaks into white guys house in the middle of the night. Black guy has base ball bat and tells his accomplice to take your wife upstairs. White guy shoots black guy. County Attorney and Police will be cowards and not want to call it what it really is so you will be chrged criminally and go to trial and lose everything you have to trial Attorneys trying to prove you are innocent so County Attorney (also a white guy) does not get called racist. Pass the law so the Democrats can start getting over it.
notbelievable

Minneapolis, MN

#21 May 14, 2011
unbelievable wrote:
As the cops were about to bust down the door of the house, the guy I know went over to see what the commotion was all about and as it turned out, the call was bogus.
So...you're telling me that the guy you knew just walked over to the house and chatted with the SWAT team as they were busting down the door? Sort of along the lines of "Hi, guys! What's up?"?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Good Thunder Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
karl gregor "zeke" ziemer (Aug '11) Jun 9 Allisonhurst 6
Sam & Abe's Childcare Review Feb '16 jajohsonfamily 1
News Truman ready to settle lawsuit (Mar '08) Aug '15 Yess 2
Better off than five years ago? (Jul '15) Jul '15 Ohio resident 2
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Jan '14 DutchQ 11
News Minnesota House votes to halt seat-belt stops (May '11) May '11 Arch on larch 51
News Cornish's self-defense bill under fire (May '11) May '11 Jabber 3

Good Thunder Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Good Thunder Mortgages