Minnesota bill ups penalties for harm...

Minnesota bill ups penalties for harming police dogs

There are 29 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Feb 8, 2011, titled Minnesota bill ups penalties for harming police dogs. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Harming or killing a law enforcement dog could come with stiffer penalties under legislation making its way through the Minnesota Legislature.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
thissucks

Burnsville, MN

#1 Feb 8, 2011
Using a weapon against a police officer, be it man, woman, or dog. Should carry a mandatory sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole.
Spinning Wheels

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Feb 8, 2011
Wow! Tony Cornish is proving to the voters he is just one of the many Minnesota politicians that really don't have anything serious to deal with such as; budgets, creating jobs, lowering taxes, the overall economy, etc. Nope! He turns his attention to dogs. Way to go Tony and thank you for addressing the tough issues, I sure know I'll sleep better tonight knowing our politicians are on top of the hot issues, or are they just spinning their wheels and wasting time and tax payer money.
Continence

Cold Spring, MN

#3 Feb 8, 2011
This "New" law with a higher price paid by the CRIMINAL, will no doubt stop a CRIMINAL from being CRIMINAL. And when the CRIMINAL stops to think about hurting a Police Dog as she tries to evade capture for her CRIMINAL activities, I am sure that the latest law from the Lawyers in our State Houses will make her think twice before she tries to evade capture for her crimes......

CRIMINALS that have for example commited murder, and are trying to run away, are no doubt rational enough during the adrenalin driven fight or flight response, to consider the financial costs of stopping a Police Dog. The added costs she will bear during her prison term for the crime she commited, will no doubt deter her....which is the purpose of any Law.

Hey Lawmakers......making bad Laws go away is Lawmaking too...Maybe start there, before you add more useless laws.....

A little insight for you.....Criminals commit crimes.....if they cared about the Law, they wouldn't commit crimes,(No charge for the insights)
drie the boat

Hopkins, MN

#4 Feb 8, 2011
thissucks wrote:
Using a weapon against a police officer, be it man, woman, or dog. Should carry a mandatory sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole.
Book burning in the central square Tuesdays. Wear your brown shirt!
drie the boat

Hopkins, MN

#5 Feb 8, 2011
Why is ***** shirt censored by the gestapo Pioneer Press? The word is brown.
Minnesota Moe

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Feb 8, 2011
Yes! its about time they increased the penalty. I would have voted for more jail time. I don't know who can get upset with this bill...really, all its doing is trying to protect an innocent dog who goes in first to subdue a criminal to prevent the officers from getting hurt.
how about

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Feb 8, 2011
if a police officer hurts or kills your dog for protecting a family member or poroperty they go to jail for life
Continence

Cold Spring, MN

#8 Feb 8, 2011
Minnesota Moe wrote:
Yes! its about time they increased the penalty. I would have voted for more jail time. I don't know who can get upset with this bill...really, all its doing is trying to protect an innocent dog who goes in first to subdue a criminal to prevent the officers from getting hurt.
And right in Moe's Posting here, we the people can see why bad laws are made.

Everybody all for hurting Police Dogs raise your hands.

No Hands?

Hummmmm, Ok everybody that thinks Laws will make us feel like we are doing something, and Politicians manipulate you as sheeple, raise your hands?

Whoaaaaa...look at the hands go up!....No wonder we are manipulated by the Lawmakers!
Rich

Plainfield, IL

#9 Feb 8, 2011
Keep in mind this is just a dog. A dog trained to be a deadly weapon. The only defense against it is to injure or kill it.
If police agree to never use this weapon on private property or around people I would agree with this law.
If I see a dog attacking someone in front of my house I am going to the aid of that person.
LYNN A

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Feb 8, 2011
This a good thing and i don't care if it does not deter a criminal from committing a crime. Penalty's and sentencing don't deter anything anyway. I never believed that the laws and penalties regarding those laws are made to deter anything. To me they are just the punishment that goes with the crime and they have never stopped anyone from doing any crime of that nature, to begin with. Violent Abusers and killers are just that and they should get the stiffest of penalties. Especially when they committ their crimes against those who are there to protect us. Yes I said it. To Protect and Serve. I hate that people are losing that mentality just because there are some bad people becoming police officers here and there. there always will be and they, with everyones' help, can and are being weeded out. the good still prevail. and always will, with God, conscience, and hearts in the right places.
Continence

Cold Spring, MN

#11 Feb 8, 2011
LYNN A wrote:
This a good thing and i don't care if it does not deter a criminal from committing a crime. Penalty's and sentencing don't deter anything anyway. I never believed that the laws and penalties regarding those laws are made to deter anything. To me they are just the punishment that goes with the crime and they have never stopped anyone from doing any crime of that nature, to begin with. Violent Abusers and killers are just that and they should get the stiffest of penalties. Especially when they committ their crimes against those who are there to protect us. Yes I said it. To Protect and Serve. I hate that people are losing that mentality just because there are some bad people becoming police officers here and there. there always will be and they, with everyones' help, can and are being weeded out. the good still prevail. and always will, with God, conscience, and hearts in the right places.
10,000 years ago, 10% of humans were defective (criminal).

In 10,000 years, 10% of humans will be defective.

Today, 10% of humans are defective.

Punishment FOR behavior modification is the objective.....Payback isn't.

Since the beginning of time no Law has EVER stopped the "Lawless"...this isn't that complicated.

The same bad human emotions that cause a person to commit a crime, is found right here in the postings of people that say kill um all, castrate um, hang um. Messed up human emotions that over ride common sense.

Use the law to Modify the behaviors of the defective, and change them...sticking um in boxes is cruel, costly, useless, and mostly damages families, and society.
Large Crowd

Bemidji, MN

#12 Feb 8, 2011
Continence wrote:
<quoted text>
10,000 years ago, 10% of humans were defective (criminal).
In 10,000 years, 10% of humans will be defective.
Today, 10% of humans are defective.
Punishment FOR behavior modification is the objective.....Payback isn't.
Since the beginning of time no Law has EVER stopped the "Lawless"...this isn't that complicated.
The same bad human emotions that cause a person to commit a crime, is found right here in the postings of people that say kill um all, castrate um, hang um. Messed up human emotions that over ride common sense.
Use the law to Modify the behaviors of the defective, and change them...sticking um in boxes is cruel, costly, useless, and mostly damages families, and society.
What we're hearing is........
KILL THE DEFECTIVE 10%!
AND WE SHOULD HAVE STARTED 10,000 years ago.
lol

Osceola, WI

#14 Feb 8, 2011
Hitler used attack dogs and violense. Hitler used assembly line justice. Plea barganing. Please do not give me life. Hitler end giving court dates to most people. Hitler hated freedom and democracy. Why has the GOP pushed these policies in America? The legisalures obviously hate American values.
Large Crowd

Bemidji, MN

#15 Feb 8, 2011
lol wrote:
Demoralization of America. I remember when people had more rights than animals. I remeber when an animal attacked a human it had to be put down. The police stated you could never trust it again. Once they taste blood all animals are dangerous. Not in todays unstable demoralised America. People are traeted as animals and caged by the millions so greedy few can get their thrills. The most dangerous crime in America today is plea barganing legal extortion. It has stole liberty from millions of innocent honest Americans. It is the policy of LAZY LAZY lawyers.
Put all attack dogs down.
Your one of the defective 10%!!!
Get him/her/it!!!!
Continence

Cold Spring, MN

#16 Feb 8, 2011
Large Crowd wrote:
<quoted text>
What we're hearing is........
KILL THE DEFECTIVE 10%!
AND WE SHOULD HAVE STARTED 10,000 years ago.
Well actualy, as you pass through the phases of your life, there is a pretty good chance you will break the law...er actualy you WILL break the law on a regular basis...that may or may not put you in the 10% outside of society (criminal).

Me, personaly, I don't want to play God....society has no business being in the business of "Killing" those that break the law.
But there are TONS of things that we know works, and we keep doing the wrong thing....More useless laws, and more boxes to warehouse humans in.

Voluntary participation (by the criminal) in severe behavior modification programs tailored to the type of crime committed would be a great start.
Free drugs like Heroin and or Sedative Narcotics for those sentenced to life in prison,those that are to heinous to ever be in society again, for those that would like them, so that they can chose the "end of their sentence" would be good.

But the Law Enforcement Industries in America have an incentive to keep the status quo. Without customers their is no business...without customers the Politicians wont have Boogeymen to use for props as they make bad laws, manipulating the sheeple's emotions.

There are answers, and we should be trying/experimenting....not just seeking payback, and or warehousing.
Large Crowd

Bemidji, MN

#17 Feb 8, 2011
lol wrote:
Hitler used attack dogs and violense. Hitler used assembly line justice. Plea barganing. Please do not give me life. Hitler end giving court dates to most people. Hitler hated freedom and democracy. Why has the GOP pushed these policies in America? The legisalures obviously hate American values.
Yer in the top 1% of the defective 10%.
First we're gonna castrate ya, then we're gonna hang ya, then we're gonna put ya in jail, then we're gonna rehabilitate ya !!!

Get him/her/it !!!!
THUG-FREE ZONE

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Feb 8, 2011
The penalty should be the same for harming or killing a police officer (human) or K-9:

THE DEATH PENALTY

We should fry society's trash !!!!
lol

Osceola, WI

#19 Feb 8, 2011
Continence wrote:
<quoted text>
Well actualy, as you pass through the phases of your life, there is a pretty good chance you will break the law...er actualy you WILL break the law on a regular basis...that may or may not put you in the 10% outside of society (criminal).
Me, personaly, I don't want to play God....society has no business being in the business of "Killing" those that break the law.
But there are TONS of things that we know works, and we keep doing the wrong thing....More useless laws, and more boxes to warehouse humans in.
Voluntary participation (by the criminal) in severe behavior modification programs tailored to the type of crime committed would be a great start.
Free drugs like Heroin and or Sedative Narcotics for those sentenced to life in prison,those that are to heinous to ever be in society again, for those that would like them, so that they can chose the "end of their sentence" would be good.
But the Law Enforcement Industries in America have an incentive to keep the status quo. Without customers their is no business...without customers the Politicians wont have Boogeymen to use for props as they make bad laws, manipulating the sheeple's emotions.
There are answers, and we should be trying/experimenting....not just seeking payback, and or warehousing.
The only ones who do not see it are blind because they have been demoralized. They do not know what is reich or wrong anymore. Police, Da`s judges, and the GOP.

Since: Feb 11

AOL

#21 Feb 8, 2011
lol wrote:
You are your own worst argument.
lol

Osceola, WI

#22 Feb 8, 2011
MN Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>
You are your own worst argument.
You your neighbors worst nightmare. Do you have enough of a brain to comprehend what I state. I have yet to see one logical rebutal to my truths. The worst of the worst live in denial. If not for double standards. You would be Mrs baba Palenty

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Good Thunder Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Boycott The Paw Aug '16 disgusted 1
is this child abuse and is it ok for what law e... Aug '16 milf 1
Better off than five years ago? (Jul '15) Jul '16 Go Blue Forever 3
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Jan '14 DutchQ 11
News Minnesota House votes to halt seat-belt stops (May '11) May '11 Arch on larch 51
News Cornish's self-defense bill under fire (May '11) May '11 Jabber 3
News Deadly force bill gaining traction in Minnesota... (Apr '11) May '11 Rice Streeter 80

Good Thunder Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Good Thunder Mortgages