Does it really suck working for Olin-Winchester

Posted in the Godfrey Forum

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Unemployed Steel Worker

Jerseyville, IL

#1 Aug 17, 2009
Heard that this place really is a bad place to work from fellow steel workers.Anyone out there know if this is true? Forced over time,no cost of living raises,sub pay and that people are talked down to by management ect.
so so true

Granite City, IL

#2 Aug 30, 2009
you do get forced overtime. If someone calls off and your shift was ending you can just forget about it. I've worked 4pm till noon the next day. Management could care less about you. God forbid you have a sick child to take car of or you have a close relative in the hospital. They made me take my FMLA and gave me grief on that. Plus every time you turn around there is a machine breaking, very unsafe. If I could find another place to work while still making the same amount at Olin I would be gone in a Heartbeat. Plus a lot of co workers get drunk a lot and come in hungover and still smelling like the night before. Like I said, unsafe!!
never off

Griggsville, IL

#3 Aug 31, 2009
The worst company in the world in the treatment of their employees. The company believes if you work for them they own you. We work six to twelve days straight, eight to sixteen hours everyday. If you need a day off you will be told no. If you miss work you will fired. If you are late you will be fired. If you leave work early you will be fired. Employees are not treated fairly. I could go on but I just don't want to.
Big Daddy

Jerseyville, IL

#4 Jan 6, 2010
If you call off work tomorrow because you are snowed in "You will be fired" so risk your life to get to work because Olin doesn't give a shit about you!
Half Dead

Alton, IL

#5 Jan 21, 2010
60plus hours per week is not unusual. The point system means that you can't be sick, can't attend children's school events, can't be off for ANY reason. Called off from the hospital and was given a point! Your doctor can say that you are deathly ill but unless OLIN says so (and they never do!), you must come in to work--or else. Management cares more about the machines in the building than the workers. Yes, the pay is good and I am grateful to have a job but, please, treat us like people...not robots!!
Oooh

Tokyo, Japan

#6 Jan 24, 2010
Big Daddy wrote:
If you call off work tomorrow because you are snowed in "You will be fired" so risk your life to get to work because Olin doesn't give a shit about you!
You can't blame Olin for getting upset at the workers who live far away and get snowed in. Just as you have the right to live far away, Olin doesn't have to be happy about it when you call in "snowed in". It's not their fault that you choose to live where they don't plow often enough. To be at "snowed in" condition is ridiculous or more. We haven't that that kind of snow in 20 years! You just "wanted" to be snowed in....

Perhaps you should be an artist for the State of Illinois-Drawing unemployment!
big bubba

AOL

#7 Apr 24, 2010
i have worked at olin for 32 yrs now and you think it sucked when you worked there work there now i dare you ? i have vacation time of 5 weeks i fill i have a target on my back like many otheres that have a lot of time we have been hearing that management would be cut 6 months ago there still there running the place more stuid than ever yea thats right wayne beddie grege danials and shanana thats right the cocked eyed bitch that thinks she can put her hands on anybody let the cocked eyed dog put here fhilty hands on me and for sam her hubby he;s a rat snitch that should been fired what 4 safty vilations ago
olin employee

Collinsville, IL

#8 Aug 5, 2010
so so true wrote:
you do get forced overtime. If someone calls off and your shift was ending you can just forget about it. I've worked 4pm till noon the next day. Management could care less about you. God forbid you have a sick child to take car of or you have a close relative in the hospital. They made me take my FMLA and gave me grief on that. Plus every time you turn around there is a machine breaking, very unsafe. If I could find another place to work while still making the same amount at Olin I would be gone in a Heartbeat. Plus a lot of co workers get drunk a lot and come in hungover and still smelling like the night before. Like I said, unsafe!!
Yes...I have worked here for quite a few years....it's all true!!!! They get people sucked in with the pay....I can't stand it.
J-Town Ninjas Oh YeE AhH

Virginia, IL

#9 Aug 5, 2010
thats y u get a job there, get fired after 6 months and collect unemployment for the next 2 yrs... 51% of 20$ a hr is more then alot of people make... tell olin to suck it
the big D

Farmington, MO

#10 Aug 13, 2010
Hello, Olin/winchester sucks, the point system if made for companies that give thier employees sick/personal days off, in olins eyes you dont need a day off, i have been working 13 days on with 1 day off. Managment has made comments how we dont deserve a day off. The only reason we get the 1 day off off is because its the law. Management is stupid to say the least.. force people over for no reason, just to do it. if you get sick, dont call off you will get a point. If you are sick and need 3 days off and Dr says so,cuz you need it off, Olin doesnt care.. you have to medical leave if you need a(5) few days off, and you will still get 1 point if you take medical. so then your only opton is FMLA, then you can take any day off you need, but the company cries BOO HOO to many people on FMLA. well the Company forced people to use FMLA, the only excused absence is if your die..Now winchester is moving to Oxford Ms,.. Joesph Rupp says we make $10 per hour to much, and he cant make it on 6 mil a year. Wish i had that peoblem.. The Move to Oxford isnt about union,taxes ect.. its all about Corperate GREED, Rupp wants more in his pocket and less to the hard working employees..Over the past few yrs the management has treated the union working with no respect,like we are dirt and dogs.

Winchester is a piss poor run company, when they move the employees will loose thier, jobs,homes,car and pension..

This area will suffer..

Hey RUPP, if you want to save money then cut your pay..or get out and go somewhere else, leave winchester alone and right here in east alton.

I LOST MY JOB TO GREED
Slick

Jerseyville, IL

#11 Aug 13, 2010
the big D wrote:
Hello, Olin/winchester sucks, the point system if made for companies that give thier employees sick/personal days off, in olins eyes you dont need a day off, i have been working 13 days on with 1 day off. Managment has made comments how we dont deserve a day off. The only reason we get the 1 day off off is because its the law. Management is stupid to say the least.. force people over for no reason, just to do it. if you get sick, dont call off you will get a point. If you are sick and need 3 days off and Dr says so,cuz you need it off, Olin doesnt care.. you have to medical leave if you need a(5) few days off, and you will still get 1 point if you take medical. so then your only opton is FMLA, then you can take any day off you need, but the company cries BOO HOO to many people on FMLA. well the Company forced people to use FMLA, the only excused absence is if your die..Now winchester is moving to Oxford Ms,.. Joesph Rupp says we make $10 per hour to much, and he cant make it on 6 mil a year. Wish i had that peoblem.. The Move to Oxford isnt about union,taxes ect.. its all about Corperate GREED, Rupp wants more in his pocket and less to the hard working employees..Over the past few yrs the management has treated the union working with no respect,like we are dirt and dogs.
Winchester is a piss poor run company, when they move the employees will loose thier, jobs,homes,car and pension..
This area will suffer..
Hey RUPP, if you want to save money then cut your pay..or get out and go somewhere else, leave winchester alone and right here in east alton.
I LOST MY JOB TO GREED
Do you think that they will really move to Oxford or is this a trick to cut wages here in Alton? When do you think they will start laying people off if they do move ect. ect.?
Mike

Ellington, MO

#12 Aug 14, 2010
Is a still union, and of the machinist union I used to be a union steward there 20 years ago and I got day's off what the hell happened there anyway
??????
get it done

East Alton, IL

#13 Aug 14, 2010
Why is the Union letting all this happen????
Nick Name

Alton, IL

#14 Aug 16, 2010
The "Union reps" are a bunch of shills. Just watch, in a month or two they'll ask the employees to take a wage reduction to "keep the plant open longer" when they'll really be banking that saving to finance the move to Mississippi.
Slick

Jerseyville, IL

#15 Aug 16, 2010
Nick Name wrote:
The "Union reps" are a bunch of shills. Just watch, in a month or two they'll ask the employees to take a wage reduction to "keep the plant open longer" when they'll really be banking that saving to finance the move to Mississippi.
They are already talking about a wage freeze and cut. The plant will be gone as soon as they get the new hires in Mississippi trained, but hey keep up the good morale at the Olin Alton Plant and make production every day !
get it done

Belleville, IL

#16 Aug 16, 2010
What r union dues these days
olin_took_my_nam e

Marcus Hook, PA

#17 Aug 20, 2010
Slick wrote:
<quoted text> They are already talking about a wage freeze and cut. The plant will be gone as soon as they get the new hires in Mississippi trained, but hey keep up the good morale at the Olin Alton Plant and make production every day !
If they even wait to train them there pushing so hard on production to bulid a bank of sorts so they can move sooner and if you ever notice how the barb wire points in and not out. Made to ware jump suits with your number on it that replaced are names and formen that are more like nazi gards then human. Its like prison with no trial!
Hommer

Jerseyville, IL

#18 Sep 5, 2010
Olin plans on keeping T-400 and the Shot Tower here in E.Alton. The company wants to open the contract back up now instead of waiting for it to run out in July of next year. They want wage cuts and freezes now!
EXFOREMAN -HOURLY

Staunton, IL

#19 Sep 21, 2010
THE MOVE IS A DONE DEAL/SAME RHETORIC PRIOR TO MOVING 22 CAL.TO OXFORD IN '04.BUST ASS,PRODUCTION NUMBERS WILL KEEP YOUR JOB IN EAST ALTON VIABLE REALITY- HELP THEM MASS INVENTORY FOR THE MOVE.TREAT YOUR EMPLOYEES LIKE HUMANS AND SEE HOW LONG YOUR FOREMAN CAREER LASTS.ASK THE BRASS MILL FOLKS HOW THAT EARLY CONTRACT THING WENT A FEW YEARS BACK.ASK FORD/HAZELWOOD WHAT THE TAX/ECT.CONCESSIONS GOT THEM.OLIN UNION REPS ARE SUCK-UPS WHO GET GRAVY JOBS/CONSIDERATION IN EXCHANGE FOR THEIR INDIFFERENCE.PEOPLE LIKE RUPP ARE WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS COMPANY.I WAS ON BOTH SIDES OF THIS FENCE FOR ALMOST 30 YEARS.
the big D

Glen Carbon, IL

#20 Oct 15, 2010
Jully, its due in Dec of 2011, well untill now. Now they want wage freezes, olin suck, they makes millions every year.. its all about GREED, Joe Rupp is a coward, he wants to move the plant to put more in his pocket, when he sold brass, he got 25 mil, guess that wasnt enough money for him.. Must be hard to live o 25 mil, pluss he recieved a pay raise of 14.7 percent.. wow the workers only get 3.5 percent and now he wants to take that away..enough is enough RUPP. Olin is moving no matter what.. so this sunday Oct 17th VOTE NO, if you vote yes you will loose money from your pocket. this will not keep olin here as many think.. VOTE NO.. they will move anyway..

Thanks RUPP

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Godfrey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr in the end 50,065
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 8 hr Top of the Heap 4,054
Who do you support for U.S. House in Illinois (... (Oct '10) Sep 29 LOL at Gomer Pyle 78
the kkk (Jan '09) Sep 29 LMAO 7
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) Sep 27 Blwlgo 1,934
Popular Wood River restaurant burns Sep 26 mamamiaemployee 4
Outlaws MC (Sep '09) Sep 24 Drifter 97
Godfrey Dating
Find my Match

Godfrey Jobs

Godfrey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Godfrey News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Godfrey

Personal Finance