Mother of 2 truants gets 2 days in ar...

Mother of 2 truants gets 2 days in area jail

There are 6 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jun 4, 2009, titled Mother of 2 truants gets 2 days in area jail. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Erica Severance probably would have received probation like any other Athens County parent recently charged with failing to send her children to school.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Parents Responsibility

Gnadenhutten, OH

#1 Jun 4, 2009
Its about time!
Beth

Columbus, OH

#2 Jun 4, 2009
In this case I definitely believe Severance should have gone to jail. There is no excuse for not sending elementary age kids to school. As children get older and are more able to physically overpower their parents where the parent literally can't force their teenager to go to school than that may make the situation different.But not an elementary age child.
Warren Supporter

Columbus, OH

#3 Jun 4, 2009
I know Dave Warren and he is a fair man. I sincerely believe that he is being truthful when he says this parent just didn't get it. I know he would have tried everything he could before sending her to jail. Before Warren, it had been a while since that office had such a responsible prosecutor.
Moonshadow

United States

#4 Jun 4, 2009
I'd like to knwo the ages of the kids and what has actually been done to help the mother get the kids to school. When my son was 11, he sometimes headed for the bus and hid in the woods instead of going to school -- the school told me not to worry; he'd come home when he got hungry! At least twice, I dropped him at school, watched him go in the door, only to learn he'd walked straight through and out another door. I BEGGED for help with him. Jailing parents gives the kids power -- skip school and their folks go to jail?? Possibly lose jobs as well as work hours? What good does that do this family? We need to work together, identify the problems involved with getting the kids to school and address the problems with the families. Don't just cast blame and punish parents. This is not helping anybody, least of all the children involved.
get real

Gary, IN

#5 Jul 22, 2010
Erica Severance was jailed in June 2010 for heroin possession, that's not helping a family.

“Beware the Yetti”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#6 Jul 23, 2010
get real wrote:
Erica Severance was jailed in June 2010 for heroin possession, that's not helping a family.
Possession of heroin does help a family? At some point the hand-wringing has to stop and accountability for actions has to begin

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glouster Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
single ladies Apr 22 hey ya 1
nikki vore (Mar '15) Mar 27 Vore-banger 4
Julie Sheridan (Mar '12) Mar '17 Nak Chess 4
where's the hot females (Jun '12) Mar '17 Maverick 5
law enforcement (Aug '12) Feb '17 Andy 2
News Homeless housing project raises concerns Nov '16 Akron14 1
Jerry Hallowell (Oct '16) Oct '16 Mislead 1

Glouster Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance