Athens County mom jailed for not send...

Athens County mom jailed for not sending kids to school

There are 30 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jun 3, 2009, titled Athens County mom jailed for not sending kids to school. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Erica Severance likely would have received probation like four other Athens County parents recently charged with failing to send their children to school.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Annoyed

Wapakoneta, OH

#21 Jun 3, 2009
It seems that some are very confident here that schools are failing, and if a parent does not want their child to go to school, they should have that right. My question is: in these countries that have such "better test scores" than in the US, are they trying to educate EVERY CHILD regardless of economic status, family status, IQ, etc? The answer is no. If our country educated only the best and brightest, I sincerely doubt that these countries would be outscoring us. The cliche "Compare apples to apples" definitely applies here! And on another topic...in how many countries is the divorce rate 50%, and have so many single-parent families? I sincerely believe that our educational system has been seriously impacted by the deterioration of our families.
Tiffany

Barnesville, OH

#22 Jun 4, 2009
Dave wrote:
This is disgusting. You can be thrown in jail now for refusing to send your kids to a failed public school system in which, aside from a **** poor education, all kinds of bad things may happen to, and will happen around them. Get the government out of education- they fail miserably at it, just as they do with everything else. Case in point example: In 2006, U.S. students ranked 25th of 30 advanced nations in math and 24th in science.
Read this if you're still not convinced:
http://www.creators.com/opinion/walter-willia...
In response to your post Dave: So I suppose that the answer is to just allow your kids to stay dumb altogether. Is the answer REALLY not to send them to school at all??? This is our next generation coming up...the ones who will be taking care of you and me. So, maybe sending parents to jail is too harsh, but something needs to be done to get their attention. If you feel that the educational system is that poor, then maybe you (and other concerned parents) should shift their efforts towards doing whatever is necessary to help reform the failed system. We cannot continue to blindly accept delinquent behavior and illiteracy from school-aged children.
Mud Mamzerman

Los Angeles, CA

#23 Jun 4, 2009
I applaud her for keeping her kids out of that infernally incompetent system. The longer the kids are in public school the more dysfunctional and dependent they become. But I guess that's the idea, isn't it?

Since: Sep 08

Nelsonville, OH

#24 Jul 20, 2009
I do not believe a mother should be put in jail due to a child missing school. You people need to think about what you are saying. what if there was a good reason for the child missing school. What if it was you?

Since: Mar 10

Lancaster, OH

#25 May 15, 2010
listen i just have to say i have read all the debate in here, and i dunno the other parents but i do know who erica severance is and the woman is not a very good parent to begin with. all her kids have been in and out of the court system, she doesn't work with the probation officers at all, could care less if her kids don't report to probation are out during curfew, don't follow the rules of probation-one of which is attending school-i would gander a guess that it's a collective effort of both juvenile court and prosecutor's office to hand out this punishment. believe me, the kids are better off w/out her home as i said she has a lot of kids and they have all been in and out of court systems their whole lives. this isn't her first go-round with the criminal justice system. this has been years in the making.

Since: Mar 10

Lancaster, OH

#26 May 15, 2010
and to add to what i said-yes, trimble's school system is pretty poor, however, it's my educated guess that that is not y erica severance's children were not attending school. she always has the option of transferring them elsewhere and the fact of the matter is she just doesn't care.
Anonymous

Logan, WV

#27 Jun 13, 2010
aaahhh
get real

Gary, IN

#28 Jul 22, 2010
Dave,
What world do you live in? I hope you haven't spread your genetics through offspring. Crack heads do this crap! You are living in a make believe paradise. Send your kids to school, it is the best thing you can do even if the education system is flawed.
Have a nice day.
get real

Gary, IN

#29 Jul 22, 2010
I can't believe people like you are allowed to think out loud. Your ideology contributes nothing to the good of the nation. I hope you don't have kids, have fun living on a fixed income. I will continue to work hard to support you.

Have a nice day.
get real

Gary, IN

#30 Jul 22, 2010
Annoyed wrote:
It seems that some are very confident here that schools are failing, and if a parent does not want their child to go to school, they should have that right. My question is: in these countries that have such "better test scores" than in the US, are they trying to educate EVERY CHILD regardless of economic status, family status, IQ, etc? The answer is no. If our country educated only the best and brightest, I sincerely doubt that these countries would be outscoring us. The cliche "Compare apples to apples" definitely applies here! And on another topic...in how many countries is the divorce rate 50%, and have so many single-parent families? I sincerely believe that our educational system has been seriously impacted by the deterioration of our families.
Families affect the education system. You are an over-educated moron. Look at low income communities, and the poor schools associated with them. Tax payers and competent parents support schools, if you don't have that basis to stand on, then what do you have?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glouster Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cassie Davis new to Buchtel, Ohio May '16 Woman4war 1
Here we go again... May '16 DEAF 5
Puppymill in Glouster (Dec '09) Jan '16 DEAF 17
Walter Austin Jan '16 Stan Austin 1
where's the hot females (Jun '12) Jan '16 NiteRyder 4
what happened to mackinsey Ray Roberts!!! (Apr '15) Dec '15 silent 4
25, male, looking for [female ONLY] "FWB". (Jul '15) Nov '15 DragonGoddess 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Glouster Mortgages