Comments
1 - 20 of 63 Comments Last updated Nov 27, 2013
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Brian K

Fredericksburg, VA

#1 Feb 1, 2012
I heard from an inside source that sherrif gentry resigned and Placed Darrell Warren as acting sherriff. Uh oh. Wonder what that's all about. Anyone know?
Dr D

Gloucester, VA

#2 Feb 1, 2012
Good lord, can't we leave gossip alone? Yes, seemed he resigned. Sad. He will be missed. Guess you gossip mongers are going to have a hey day with this one. Sad the damage you will do to him and his family before the week is over.
Brian K

Fredericksburg, VA

#3 Feb 1, 2012
What would be a good thing is if someone did damage to you. I voted for him and was wondering if everything was ok. Just because your worthless doesn't mean that sherrif gentry was. So yes it is sad that he resigned. And it's sad that you are still breathing and using valuable oxygen that good people could be breathing.
Spikynorm

Gloucester, VA

#4 Feb 2, 2012
Brian K wrote:
I heard from an inside source that sherrif gentry resigned and Placed Darrell Warren as acting sherriff. Uh oh. Wonder what that's all about. Anyone know?
No news anywhere about this. When will it break? Who will break it? Link?
Dr D

Newport News, VA

#5 Feb 2, 2012
My request? Don't feed the daily crapper depress any information......let a real newspaper have the story.
NoWay

King George, VA

#6 Feb 2, 2012
Dr D wrote:
Good lord, can't we leave gossip alone? Yes, seemed he resigned. Sad. He will be missed. Guess you gossip mongers are going to have a hey day with this one. Sad the damage you will do to him and his family before the week is over.
Now, aren't YOU one to talk about gossip!
Ms Bond

Chesapeake, VA

#7 Feb 2, 2012
Dr D wrote:
Sad like the damage you have done to everyone that has crossed your path.
Wondering

Chesapeake, VA

#8 Feb 2, 2012
Several of the staff have been reporting problems of internal nature involving Gentry and some of his behavior, did he finally get caught in his own web?
Dr D

Newport News, VA

#9 Feb 2, 2012
Wondering wrote:
Several of the staff have been reporting problems of internal nature involving Gentry and some of his behavior, did he finally get caught in his own web?
Another saboite, not willing to give credit where credit is due, only interested in assasination. so sad.
Deano

Gloucester, VA

#10 Feb 2, 2012
From the station's FB page:

Xtra 99.1FM WXGM

A statement has been issued by the Gloucester Co Sheriff's office, that Sheriff Steve Gentry will be stepping down as sheriff, as of 12am February 4th, to handle personal issues and spend more time with family to deal with these issues. No other details have been officially released, we will continue to report as information comes in.
Deano

Gloucester, VA

#11 Feb 2, 2012
Breaking news from the Gazette-Journal.

Sheriff Gentry leaving office one month into second term

Kim Robins | Posted on Feb 02, 2012 - 09:25 AM Pri

Gloucester Sheriff E. Steve Gentry is resigning the county’s top law enforcement post effective Saturday. Gentry’s Chief Deputy, Darrell Warren, confirmed the resignation Thursday morning and said Gentry was leaving the job “to deal with personal issues and spend more time with his family.”

Warren said Gentry, who won election to his second term in office in November, informed his staff around 4 p.m. Wednesday that he was leaving the position. Warren said Gentry also informed Gloucester Circuit Court Judge R. Bruce Long and county administrator Brenda Garton.

Gentry could not be reached for comment Thursday morning.

Gentry served as a Virginia State Trooper for 30 years, retiring in 2005. He was first elected sheriff as an independent candidate in 2007, defeating longtime Republican incumbent Robin Stanaway. He was re-elected by a wide margin in a four-way race in November. Gentry and his wife, C. Ann Gentry, who retired in 2007 after 30 years as the Gloucester Circuit Court Clerk, have a son, daughter-in-law and grandson who reside in Henrico.

Warren, who is Gentry’s top ranking deputy, said he will likely take over the sheriff’s job on Saturday, allowing time for other officers to be sworn under him.

Gentry appointed Warren as his Chief Deputy in March of 2008. Warren has been with the Gloucester Sheriff’s Office since 1991 and progressed through the ranks of the law enforcement division. He holds a college degree in the administration of justice and has completed numerous training courses, including the F.B.I National Academy in Quantico and the Professional Executive Leadership School at the University of Richmond.

Gloucester County General Registrar Bobbi A. Morgan said the next local election for sheriff would likely be in November, but she was still awaiting confirmation from the State Board of Elections and the Gloucester Electoral Board.
Dr D

Newport News, VA

#12 Feb 2, 2012
Amazing how WXGM and the Gazette do SO MUCH OF A BETTER JOB than the daily crapper press. No defamation of character or criticism. Thank you both for tasteful explanations. Now why couldn't the daily crapper press do as nicely with Mayor Holley of Portsmouth? My guess? Digby Solomon looks to defame and sensationalize in a feeble attempt to sell papers in a market that is dying. Don't worry Digby, the daily crapper depress will soon die a nice quiet death, and few of us will have nice things to say about it.
Hunter

Gloucester, VA

#13 Feb 2, 2012
Another "busy" day for you at work? No patients again?
Haywood

Washington, DC

#14 Feb 2, 2012
Shut the hell up doc. You whine like a little sissy. I bet the bullies had fun whipping your ass. Or did you threaten them with tattling. Boo hoo. Matt Sabo exposed me for what I am. Waaaaa waaaa digby this digby that. Daily crapper. Bla bla. I been broken into 90 times. Waaaaaa waaaa. Dogs on my property waaaa. You must be exhausted. Take a nap. A long long one. Preferably a dirt nap.

“The REAL banana”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#15 Feb 2, 2012
Dr D wrote:
Amazing how WXGM and the Gazette do SO MUCH OF A BETTER JOB than the daily crapper press. No defamation of character or criticism. Thank you both for tasteful explanations. Now why couldn't the daily crapper press do as nicely with Mayor Holley of Portsmouth? My guess? Digby Solomon looks to defame and sensationalize in a feeble attempt to sell papers in a market that is dying. Don't worry Digby, the daily crapper depress will soon die a nice quiet death, and few of us will have nice things to say about it.
My guess is because there's nothing to talk about. Holley made an ass of himself on local news and then forced a recall rather than do the right thing and resign. Get a grip Doc. We have no vendetta with the DP. It's all your baby.
Deano

Saluda, VA

#16 Feb 2, 2012
From the Daily Press:

GLOUCESTER — After serving as county sheriff since 2007, Steve Gentry will resign from the post Saturday, Chief Deputy Darrell Warren said.

Warren will take over as sheriff in the interim once Gentry leaves office.

Gentry ran as an independent and coasted to victory in November's election over three other candidates by capturing 62 percent of the votes. Larry Rilee, the Republican candidate, finished a distant second by winning 27 percent of the votes. Two other candidates, Independents Ted Koehl and Clarence Bowser, received 9 and 2 percent of the votes, respectively.

Gloucester County General Registrar Bobbi Morgan has notified county state officials of this development. She is awaiting confirmation from the State Board of Elections and the Gloucester Electoral Board on how to proceed.

"There are a lot of things up in the air," she said.

Gentry has served in law enforcement for over 30 years.
Dr D

Newport News, VA

#17 Feb 2, 2012
Thank God WXGM and the Gazette got the story first. Was nice to see that Eric and not matt wrote for the press. Thank you Eric for a story better written than sabo might have done.
Deano

Gloucester, VA

#19 Feb 2, 2012
clown couple wife wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone got the release at the same time. It's not about Matt, It's not about you, It's about Steve and family and the loss to our county. Do the decent thing and shutthefuckup. No one care what you think anyway. Let them mourn in peace.
I agree with your post as far as this not being about the press or the Dr. I'm not sure this Sheriff is a loss to our county. But I also agree that whatever the case may be, a lot of people are going through a very hard time right now. Let's just let them be.

None of us has the right to throw stones.

“The REAL banana”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#20 Feb 2, 2012
Deano wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with your post as far as this not being about the press or the Dr. I'm not sure this Sheriff is a loss to our county. But I also agree that whatever the case may be, a lot of people are going through a very hard time right now. Let's just let them be.
None of us has the right to throw stones.
Thanks, I think all but one agree. Appreciate you keeping us posted.
Dr D

Newport News, VA

#21 Feb 2, 2012
clown couple wife wrote:
<quoted text>
My guess is because there's nothing to talk about. Holley made an ass of himself on local news and then forced a recall rather than do the right thing and resign. Get a grip Doc. We have no vendetta with the DP. It's all your baby.
Holley had a medical condition. And after serving the community and giving most of his life and a great deal of his income to the poor, were a few words during his medical condition all the man was worth? Sorry Nanner, you crossed the line here and didn't know it, so it's worth forgiving you. Holley was a great, great, man who needed to step down, but all of his accomplishments far outweigh the last few moments of his career. Do you want to be remembered for a few bad words or a lifetime of achievement?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gloucester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shipyard employee ticked off Mon Todd 9
Newport News police search for suspected rapist (Apr '08) Sun naked clown 2
Hampton looks for more math teachers Aug 31 Tabb 4
Debate: Health Care - Newport News, VA (Oct '09) Aug 29 Spc Caryn E Nouv 23
Peninsula area students make gains in math SOL ... Aug 27 Davis 2
Isle of Wight schools to post 'In God We Trust'... Aug 25 Davis 2
? Moving to Hampton, VA? (Aug '06) Aug 25 Anonymous 266
•••
•••
•••