lay offs in Glenwood IL police depart...

lay offs in Glenwood IL police department

Posted in the Glenwood Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
concerned resident

United States

#1 Oct 17, 2009
The Mayor Durkin ,his village administrator and the trustees need to close a "budget gap" within the village. Therefore they want all the departments to "cut" expenditures. The police have been hit the hardest. They are planning to vote on a hiring freeze and it is confirmed they want to lay off 3 to 4 officers as soon as possible to meet the budget. They must first do a village wide freeze from hiring to start to lay off. The police, from what I have heard are already down 3 to 4 officers. I know that at some times only 3 police officers are on the streets at one time. The trustees, the village administrator and Mayor Durkin are trying to hide from the people of the Village of Glenwood that if this lay off happens the villlage will only be protected by two officers at any given time. This is not acceptable. What if the 2 officers are on a call for kids fighting after school at Brookwood JR High...and there is a home invasion on Illinois street in the estates (opposite side of town) with violent offenders wielding guns....then there is a train blocking the officers from responding to the other side of town. I guess that is a gamble Kerry Durkin, the trustees and the new village administrator are willing to take to make their names as the "crew that saved Glenwood from the red". The public needs to know that police are going to lose their jobs and they are going to be in danger. Ask the Mayor about the new cart paths at Glenwoodie Golf course that they are going to put in ( it is owned by the village). Ask the mayor what they are going to cost ( I have heard hundreds of thousands of dollars) Do tax payers want to pay to keep police or get new cart paths for Glenwoodie golf course. Hmmmm How many of you golf?
15 year resident

Chicago, IL

#2 Oct 18, 2009
How can lay off any officers there are hardly any working now? I heard they have to lay off the part time officers too? Mayor Durkin has some answering to do I don't want the town I live in to get crime like Ford Heights. What the heck is going on?
Mark - Resident

United States

#3 Oct 20, 2009
Youre comparing Glenwood and Ford Heights? Why not just move if it bothers you that much?

Without knowing much about the situation I would assume that its probably based on Unions and cost overruns.

Government employees and unions are bankrupting our small towns and the entire country. I envision hired security forces to take the place of town police in the future, everywhere. I dont know that this is the plan here... but I can guarantee you they arent trying to save approx $100k at the risk of us taxpayers.

We have to have faith in the elected officials that WE elected and see whats what when the dust settles.

Sounds like a disgruntled cop started this thread.
A thought

United States

#4 Oct 20, 2009
Lay off the Chief?
G wOOD

Chicago, IL

#5 Oct 21, 2009
Mark - Resident wrote:
Youre comparing Glenwood and Ford Heights? Why not just move if it bothers you that much?
Without knowing much about the situation I would assume that its probably based on Unions and cost overruns.
Government employees and unions are bankrupting our small towns and the entire country. I envision hired security forces to take the place of town police in the future, everywhere. I dont know that this is the plan here... but I can guarantee you they arent trying to save approx $100k at the risk of us taxpayers.
We have to have faith in the elected officials that WE elected and see whats what when the dust settles.
By government employees do you mean police? Also yes let us hope the new administration does what they have to...not including laying off half of the police department. This will creat WAY more problems in the long run. People have no clue what would come from laying of police. It is time for this administration to stand up and do what is right and quit blaming Maggio. She is and has been gone.
Copper

Chicago, IL

#6 Oct 21, 2009
Mark - Resident wrote:
Hey Mark you must do your drinking at Glenwoodie? You are one of the ones that thinks cart paths are more importnat than police I guess. Not very smart pal.
Mark - Resident

Lansing, IL

#7 Oct 21, 2009
Copper - I didn't say I approved Cart Paths at Glenwoodie, but I can assume that cart paths would create increased revenue to the course, thus the town. Why else would it get done? You have to THINK!!!!!

This is what I think of potential layoffs, without hearing anything about this until yesterday:

Quantity does not equal good police work or quality work in any regard. Quality people, quality. How are we all jumping to conclusions that the streets are going to go to hell if there are less officers eating donuts at the station?

I am just thinking outside of the box of what everyone else is posting on here. I have no facts on the matter and you all dont either.

All of these small villages are hurting financially. More foreclosures equals less tax revenue equals less spending in town equals less business wanting to come here equals more foreclosures. Adding police and paying overtime puts you way in the black with no chance of recovery.

Am I so wrong to not jump to conclusions and wait and see what happens?
Mark - Resident

Laingsburg, MI

#8 Oct 22, 2009
Way in the red I mean. Sorry
OK Marky Mark

Chicago, IL

#9 Oct 22, 2009
We had a great Hair Salon called Imagine right in the abandoned Nugant Square condos. You talk of business we had a great one there. They got muscled out because the building owner wanted a restaurant to be there instead. Why the HELL would you let a business that was successful leave Glenwood to go to Chicago Heights. Oh and Little Guys is leaving too.
By the way cops now a days eat bagels not doughnuts!
Agree

Chicago, IL

#10 Oct 25, 2009
Yea Glenwood is known for running business out of town.
MARK

Chicago, IL

#11 Oct 28, 2009
Answer back you coward. Or should I say Barry.
Concerned

Park Forest, IL

#12 Oct 28, 2009
For those who don't know, the police department will likely loose 4 officers to layoffs. This is 20% of the current force. You will likely have only 2 patrol officers on the streets at any given time. This means no officers will be patrolling your streets, parks etc. Also, the board just crippled the police department by eliminating records clerks. The clerks make approximately $11.00 per hour. The clerks' duties include monitoring prisoners among other duties. Illinois Dept of Corrections REQUIRES any lock up facility to have a person inside the building at all times to monitor the prisoners for medical conditions, suicide attempts etc. The village is liable if a prisoner is inured or needs medical attention. Guess who will be sitting in the station now. You got it- one of the two policeman on duty which leaves you with one on the street. Great move Glenwood.
I would like to know how much money Durkin and his cronies spent on their own attorneys last year to assist them in stripping Magio of her power-at the expense of the taxpayers, which prompted the Cook County State's Attorneys Office to file a lawsuit against them. I want to know why Glenwood is paying it's third Village Administrator in three years a six figure salary yet businesses are leaving and none are coming. We have lost Imagine Salon, Jackson Hewitt, Glenwood Liquors, Little Guys. Many others are leaving including Auto Zone and maybe Harlem Furniture. What is this guy doing besides laying off employees and jeopardizing the safety of the citizens. There is now talk of disbanding the police department and bringing in Cook County. There will be no patrols, only Cook County Officers responding from other areas to answer calls. Have you driven around and seen how terrible this town looks? The plazas are abandoned and look like a war zone. Does anyone care what is happening here?
Disgusted

Park Forest, IL

#13 Oct 28, 2009
It disgusts me to see what these guys are doing to our beloved town. Police and fire services should be the last departments to see layoffs. These guys risk their lives for us and now they are loosing their jobs because of reckless, irresponsible spending and budgeting practices. By the way, I am tired of hearing about how prior administrations are at fault. Many of the elected officials have been part of this board for many years and have had votes on many issues before us now. You guys are destroying this town overnight! Let go of your big fat egos and start doing what you were elected to do which is to provide us with a safe and secure Village that is stable. By the way, I agree-why is Mr Weiderhold making over $100,000? Isn't he supposed to be bringing business into town and making sure the ones we have stay? Homewood is thriving yet Glenwood is not. Before you lay off our policemen, shouldn't you question this guy's performance and salary? I am very disappointed.
Leonard

Chicago, IL

#14 Oct 30, 2009
Wow. This has gotten bad.
Glenwood

Chicago, IL

#15 Nov 3, 2009
I heard that they are actually going to go through with the lay offs. Not a smart move Mayor Durkin. You don't know how bad it can get. You will find out I guess. So sad.
gdlove

Alsip, IL

#16 Nov 4, 2009
its about time theres justice in glenwood those cops are all crooked the beat you up lie in court put shit on you and frame innocent peoples i cant wait for they to be less police we all watchin hopin that they all get fired
Ha Ha

Chicago, IL

#17 Nov 4, 2009
gdlove wrote:
its about time theres justice in glenwood those cops are all crooked the beat you up lie in court put shit on you and frame innocent peoples i cant wait for they to be less police we all watchin hopin that they all get fired
I am sure you do so you can sell your dope, beat your wife and or girlfriend, shoot yo gat in the air, smoke yo big blunt, and drive like a moron without getting caught. You sure did win. Thank the fine mayor of Glenwood and his buddy the Village administrator and the caring trustees. They have made this a win for you and all of the low drug using crap bag scum like you. Send Durkin a thank you card on behalf of the GD nation. He would really like it. Oh and Good luck dieing young.
Voter

Park Forest, IL

#18 Nov 4, 2009
Hey Village Board-guess who is watching what you do closer than anyone else. The criminals. The minute you lay those cops off, the criminals know and will take advantage. The cops you have left will be so disgruntled and burned out that they wont care. They feel this Village doesn't care about them and they will return the favor. Then what will you do-bring Cook County in? Have you checked with those who actually live and vote in this town or do you think you can just do whatever you want? We heard you have enough money to save their jobs but think parks are more important than cops. Mr Plott even said that at the Board meeting. In case you care, the citizens disagree. We support our police department and beg you come to your senses.
Wake Up

Park Forest, IL

#19 Nov 5, 2009
Mark - Resident wrote:
Copper - I didn't say I approved Cart Paths at Glenwoodie, but I can assume that cart paths would create increased revenue to the course, thus the town. Why else would it get done? You have to THINK!!!!!
This is what I think of potential layoffs, without hearing anything about this until yesterday:
Quantity does not equal good police work or quality work in any regard. Quality people, quality. How are we all jumping to conclusions that the streets are going to go to hell if there are less officers eating donuts at the station?
I am just thinking outside of the box of what everyone else is posting on here. I have no facts on the matter and you all dont either.
All of these small villages are hurting financially. More foreclosures equals less tax revenue equals less spending in town equals less business wanting to come here equals more foreclosures. Adding police and paying overtime puts you way in the black with no chance of recovery.
Well, Mark, I guess you don't have take a "wait and see" attitude. There will be layoffs this Friday. 5 to be exact. This is one quarter of the entire police force. No other town has even considered laying off one quarter of their police force. Calumet City laid off seven and their total size is near 100. In case you haven't been following, all the Cal City officers were brought back. This is because their Board realized that a city actually does have a responsibility to protect its citizens. The Glenwood officers were asked to make concessions that no other department was asked to make. The numbers they have been asked to cut has changed every day. Each time they have offered to make concessions, the number grew until it became so unrealistic that it simply could not be met. In other words, the Village never intended to find any other solution than to lay off cops. This Village has always treated its police department like crap and this was what they wanted from the start. The sad part is that the citizens will suffer much more than the cops. Many of these guys live in town, grew up in town and actually take pride in this city. I didn't see the Village Administrator offer to reduce his six figure salary one cent. The mayor and trustees have not offered any pay cuts. They are still wasting tax payer dollars on their illegal power transfer within the government which has gotten them sued by the States Attorney's Office. You see, we have this little thing called "checks and balances" in government. This means that a body of government cannot just "give" themselves all the power, which is what Durkin and his buddies did last year. Your donut comment just shows how small minded you really are. These guys have brain washed you into thinking they are making decisions for the good of the city. Since they have been in office, not one positive has happened. These problems should have been caught a long time ago but no one was watching the books. Remember that Durkin, Nielsen, Plott, Barry and Thomas have all been in office for several years. They are directly responsible for this and should be held accountable.
Meaghan

Bloomington, IN

#20 Nov 5, 2009
Mark - Resident wrote:
The cart paths for a seasonal business could not possibly bring in more revenue than could potentially be lost if businesses and residents pull out of the village for lack of feeling safe.

Obviously Mark you have never actually encountered what a police force does on any given day. The officers only go back to the station to file reports, bring in arrestees and use the facilities. The rest of the time, they are in specidifc areas of the village allowing there to always be an officers in the vicinity of any call which might arise, as well as to patrol for traffic violations.

It is pure ignorance to think that three to four officers, even top quality expereinced officers, can logistically handle an entire village on a given shift if more than one incident occurs. Either some more "minor" offenses will have to go ignored in order to keep officers available for other calls, which will lead to the publics decreased concern for following laws (why stop at a stop sign if no one is ever pulled over? Oh, that was your daughter/son/loved one in the car I just T-boned? Oops, my bad.)or officers will have to respond to situations singly, without back up which increases the risk to their life and therefore the risk to the public.

No one is talking about adding more police at this time, simply not letting go the ones who are already on the job. I'm sure there are unecessary expenses accrued by Glenwoodie and other city properties which could be cut to help cut back costs, cutting the police force is sheer stupidity. The less police force the higher liklihood of crime. The more crime the lower the property values. The lower the property values the more people pull out of the village, ultimately leading to significantly LESS revenue for the village.

Additionally, the term "in the black" means you're in GOOD financial standing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glenwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Code Red... Powered by Topix 34 min Sir Walter 35
Vince Please Run (Feb '16) 8 hr Bob 38
Review: Public Moving and Storage 8 hr paul 132
Alderman Hawley and his misinformation program (Feb '14) 14 hr Sydney 168
www.BossMadigan.com 23 hr We have a Problem 3
B.I.P.D. needs leadership now (Aug '14) Thu HO MAN YOUR kill... 305
News Former Hells Angels Leader Sentenced (Nov '06) Thu Tony 210

Glenwood Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance