New GRC Superintendent is destroying ...

New GRC Superintendent is destroying the institution and needs to be fired.

Posted in the Glenwood Forum

First Prev
of 19
Next Last
Velveeta Must Go

Omaha, NE

#1 Jun 17, 2011
The current superintendent is worse than no superintendent. She has shattered moral. She is incompetent, rude and abrasive. She has no real regard or concern for the people who live here. The people she is charged to serve and protect. She does not understand the laws of the state or federal laws and she doesn't care to learn. She is jeopardizing the years of work that went into bringing the institution into compliance with DOJ. She is an embarrassment, a mistake made by the previous governor that needs to be corrected immediately.
Bill W

Omaha, NE

#2 Jun 23, 2011
The only good thing about her is that she spends half of her time back home in Florida. At least the place can function semi-normally while she isn't there to micromanage and confound and confuse everything she touches.
She's the least competent and most mean spirited person I have ever worked with in my life!
It seems odd that she is able to take so much time away from work and stay on the state payroll! I'd love to see the DSM Register look into that! They'd fire me if I tried it that's for sure!

“Stand Up For Your Rights”

Since: Jun 11

Glenwood, GRC

#3 Jun 24, 2011
Every part of this place is worse off today than before this awful woman took over. It gets worse everyday.
She has no compassion. Just look at how she treats the staff, the parents and the people who live here.
She may have been an adequate admissions person or whatever she did at that failed joint in Florida but she has no idea how to even get along at GRC let alone manage.
She needs to go back to Florida.
Fed Up

United States

#4 Aug 27, 2011
Just found this site, heard about it from coworkers. I can't believe with all the complaints people say at work that there is nothing more posted here! I agree with you Bill W, she is very mean spirited. Why has nobody posted about Ragbrai? What is AFSCME doing to help?
Bill W

Omaha, NE

#5 Sep 6, 2011
Somebody handed me a printout of this page today at work. They told me that most everyone on campus has seen it. Why have you not commented?

I've contacted Clark Kaufman at the Des Moines Register. I do not wish to be another of her victims,(I used to love my job here), but I trust him to protect my confidentiality. He will protect yours as well.

He is very interested in this mess and wants to hear from others who've been affected by this "Superintendent" and her contempt for the staff and the people who live here.

I know that the whole campus has been impacted and there are hundreds of stories to tell. Tell them! Contact the Register. Let the truth be told. It's your turn friends.
Bill W

United States

#6 Oct 28, 2011
Why is the union silent over the injustices and harm that its members are being subjected too?
We all know that the health and safety of the people we care for is being jeopardized by the crazy policies being instituted. Speak out!
Why are all of you silent? One or two voices will not be heard.
We need a chorus of discontent to rise up from these hills and resound across the state.
Contact the OT, the DSM Register, state reps and county supervisors, DIA, DOJ...etc.
It's not going to get any better. We are all in this together. Speak up.
John Wayne Gravy

United States

#7 Oct 31, 2011
You people ought to quit whining! At least you have those cushy, high paying state jobs! So what if your working conditions are demoralizing! Nobody cares!

You should be in my shoes, my boss is a micro managing megalomaniac. My boss is so preoccupied covering the old backside, that nothing ever gets done!
Doggone state workers... you should be grateful for your misery.
Community Member

Mattoon, IL

#8 Nov 5, 2011
It saddens me to see what this woman has done to the Glenwood Resource Center, the people who live there, the staff, and the surrounding community. I have heard nothing but horrific tales of her threatening, bulling, and lying her way through each day. When the lawsuits start to appear, Des Moines will wish they had investigated. I have seen her walk past those who live there and not even acknowledge their presence. Shame on her! She is rude, arrogant, and completely incompetent. She has damaged the facility's relationship with the community. The walking trails are closed, she does not support local businesses, she hasn't even paid her vehicle registration! Micromanaging does not lead, it demoralizes. Let your voice be heard!
RT Worker

United States

#9 Nov 5, 2011
I found this today.
http://www.opinion-tribune.com/content/new-gr...

I'd love to see them come back on campus and interview a few people to gauge how successfully she's settled in.
Discusted

Waterloo, IA

#10 Nov 7, 2011
She has no compassion.She treats the staff, the parents and the people who live here like they owe hear something. That is wright what about Ragbrai?
I had heard she used tax payers money for some of the things she had on campus that weekend for the riders.
Elmer J

Mattoon, IL

#11 Nov 7, 2011
To RT Worker. Thanks for the link, read the article, couldn't believe my eyes! She is not someone who cares about the whole person, she only cares about her way or the highway! How did they hire somone to be in charge of such a big place when all she ever did was social work and admissions and discharges? Pretty obvious she lacks any kind of leadership ability. Morale is so low, doubtful GRC will ever recover. Nobody I know respects her, they just are beaten down by her bullying ways. Des Moines won't ever do anything cuz then they would have to admit they made a huge mistake. Good ole Terry won't want the media attention. It's the people who live there that will suffer as the good staff get tired of her ways.
Biker 66

Mattoon, IL

#12 Nov 7, 2011
heard about Velveeta Zvia at work today. I have heard that she is trying to close us down, that is what the state wants. someone in my house said she is doing away with polisy from doj that she ignors rules and makes her own or lies that she never says something she says. I'm talking to my union brothers to get something done. I am tired of these stupid rules the superviser says Velveta made. my dues pay for some action.
Vote For Wavy Gravy

Bennington, NE

#13 Nov 19, 2011
You're right, things are being done differently than before. Previous practices led to the DOJ lawsuit. Also in the past when someone was fired for just cause. A deal would often be made getting that employee reinstated. That doesn't happen anymore. Isn't that one of the things that has you most upset? Before you pass on idle gossip at work maybe you should take the time and trouble to verify that it's true. Does the person spreading the rumor have an agenda? "Good staff" will show up for work, not abuse their sick time, provide good care for the people entrusted to them, and worry about doing their job instead of all this B.S.
John Wayne Gravy

United States

#14 Nov 23, 2011
To boast about streamlining the firing process is not a sign of a good manager. It's surely not progress or an improvement. "Just cause" is often subjective....
Nobody is complaining about people being fired. The subject never came up until you brought it up.
People are concerned when good employees leave because they can no longer tolerate the abuse of our Beloved Leader. People are concerned when they watch morale among staff and the people who live here plummet to all time lows. People are starting to hate their jobs here. Because of one person. That's never been the case before.
The issue is arbitrary, mean-spirited micromanagement and an obvious disregard for the people who live and work here. The issue is an administrator driven by fear and ignorance.
You mention DOJ as if the current Beloved Leader had anything to do with bringing the place into compliance with DOJ. The issues in question occurred over a decade age. They were resolved before The current Beloved Leader stumbled onto the scene. If DOJ were to return today they would find us noncompliant in many areas thanks to the policies of our new Beloved Leader.
Invite DOJ back. See what they think of the way the place is being run. We will be back under court order in a heartbeat, because we are being run into the ground by a former admissions lady who doesn't have a clue about how to manage or lead.
I might not be the smartest guy on campus, but I know a train wreck when I see one.
Bob M

Omaha, NE

#15 Nov 23, 2011
I have been a RTS for some time and have seen several different superintendents make their way through, she is by far the worst I have ever seen. The bullying, harassment, the hostile environment and flat out abuse that goes on daily has me looking for another job or contemplating an early retirement. Nothing will change if people don't stand up and take control by complaining to Des Moines, to the media and whoever else will listen. If you just sit back and take what the witch dishes out you are no better than her. Stand up for those that live here! Stand up for yourself and your friends and family who work here and have for years! Do you all realize that she has shut down several facilities in Florida? And every facility she has worked at in Florida was in immediate jeopardy! She is doing the same things here. How many of you are working endless shifts? Dealing with behaviors from those that live here thanks to her combining houses and making them share rooms when they were used to their own rooms?! Getting on here and reading the posts and posting only does so much, take a stand! Contact the union, the media, Des Moines, DOJ, DIA, anyone. Des Moines will have to listen if the media is involved! Don't give them the chance to keep pushing it under the rug. Get your voice heard or else you are saying you are okay with the way things are and you are settling for the abuse.

Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights!
Mary

Omaha, NE

#16 Nov 25, 2011
John Wayne Gravy wrote:
You people ought to quit whining! At least you have those cushy, high paying state jobs! So what if your working conditions are demoralizing! Nobody cares!
You should be in my shoes, my boss is a micro managing megalomaniac. My boss is so preoccupied covering the old backside, that nothing ever gets done!
Doggone state workers... you should be grateful for your misery.
I used to work there and I don't know what's going on but it might be bad. I'm sure you're not a bad person. The people who live there are at our mercy. Maybe learn how this works out and try it at your workplace? I wish everyone luck.
To Wavy Gravy

Bellevue, NE

#18 Nov 30, 2011
To "Vote for Wavy Gravy"...You had way too much of the brown stuff at Thankgiving and are in need of a cleanse. The current superintendent had nothing to do with fixing the "previous practices that led to the DOJ lawsuit". Zvia wasn't anywhere near GRC when DOJ compliance was obtained, in no way can she be given credit for the hard work and achievement that the good staff at GRC was responsible for. DAS and AFSCME are responsible for the "deals" that get made in reinstating poor staff. And if you have been around much, Zvia hasn't fixed that either. The only things being done differently is a superintendent that walks by clients without speaking to them and who violates rules and laws.(Just check out her license plates that have been for the past 18 months!) My Christmas wish is for her to return to Florida where she can be an ineffective admissions staff. She has no idea and no experience to lead professionals and a facility the size of GRC. Another great State of Iowa blunder!
Burden of the Beast

Omaha, NE

#19 Dec 5, 2011
I have spoken with a reporter from the Omaha World Hearld who is interested in hearing what people have to say. Contact him. I can't post the information here but I am posting the link where you can find it.

His name is Joe Duggan. And here is his contact information at the bottom of this link.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20111005/NEWS97/...
Hating It

United States

#20 Dec 20, 2011
I don't think it's just the superintendent causing all the problems, there are other things: favoritism, sexual discrimination, sexual harassment. I know there are at least 2 RTS's that favor the male species. Two supervisors caught having sex in the tunnel and they are still here. One red headed NW supervisor that runs around making her own rules and getting by with it.
Elvis Ziffle

United States

#21 Dec 20, 2011
Hating It wrote:
I don't think it's just the superintendent causing all the problems, there are other things: favoritism, sexual discrimination, sexual harassment. I know there are at least 2 RTS's that favor the male species. Two supervisors caught having sex in the tunnel and they are still here. One red headed NW supervisor that runs around making her own rules and getting by with it.
The buck stops at the superintendent's desk. I trust these misdeeds have been reported to her. If they continue or people are not disciplined, it's her lack of management skills to blame.
If you are aware of these misdeeds and have not reported them, you share the blame.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 19
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glenwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jeb Bush slams Donald Trump for 'rhetoric of di... (Jul '15) Dec 29 Lotteries Abandon... 5
News After Trump, an evangelical examination of cons... Nov '16 JohnInLa 2
News The Latest: Trump says he saved Machado's job Oct '16 Gurly4054 130
Riding the h train - does anyone in C.B. know a... Oct '16 Ijustmovedherbro 1
Derik Bolton (Feb '06) Oct '16 Darla bolton jones 41
News Charges dismissed in Glenwood fight, shooting c... (May '16) May '16 Elise Gingerich 1
What happened to Richard Gotschall? (Mar '09) Apr '16 ruthg 9

Glenwood Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Glenwood Mortgages