Comments
1 - 20 of 69 Comments Last updated Sep 9, 2013
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
atheist

Fairmont, WV

#1 Sep 5, 2013
If you do not believe in God, please go and quit.

Since: Sep 13

Bridgeport, WV

#2 Sep 5, 2013
Actually, there should be a prerequisite that teachers be atheists or at least agnostics. Christians simply cannot be objective (or intelligent) enough to have the best interests of the students at heart.

Studies show that over 80 percent of those who go to church always vote conservative (no matter how unreasonable or right-wing the Republican Party becomes). This means that...

A Christian science teacher is more likely to not teach the correct age of the universe (which we know is over 13 billion years old due to radiation measurements of the Big Bang).

A Christian science teacher is also far less likely to teach evolution (and don't say it's a "theory" because that shows you do not know what a theory is -- gravity is a theory). Evolution is inherent to understanding all aspects of science. If you do not teach it, you cannot contribute meaningfully to the scientific community.

Psychology teachers are less likely to cover aspects of biological-related sexuality.

A Christian history teacher is less likely to teach the absolute fact that America's founders were NOT Christian but deists and atheists who were outspoken about their fear that irrational religion would overtake reason (Jefferson made his own New Testament with all the supernatural elements and Jesus' miracles edited out).

A Christian history teacher is also likely to teach the actual causes of the 1929 stock market crash, the resulting Depression, and how liberal policies such as the New Deal, banking regulations, Social Security, and Medicare eventually lifted almost half of the American populace out of poverty (I know this because many Tea Party teachers in the south are teaching that national debt led to the crash which is IN-F*CKING-SANE as it was due to rampant speculation that only regulations could have prevented).

A Christian History teacher would also be less likely to address how "God" was not printed on money or put in the Pledge of Allegiance until the witchhunts of the McCarthy era (one of America's darkest periods).

A Christian History teacher is also less likely to be objective about America's standing in the world in regards to Healthcare (number 36 in access, outcomes, and cost), standard of living (number 18 and falling), livable wages (France's minimum wage is 14.00 an hour and Canadian households are averaging $40,000 more per household due to a national healthcare system that takes the burden of off business).

A Christian English teacher would be less likely to teach books advanced enough for the grade level he/she is teaching because of adult themes or situations often found in classic literature (studies show that on average American schools are teaching books three to four years below grade level).

Christian teachers are also more likely to support the Pledge of Allegiance which teaches kids that all you have to do to support your country is stand up for one minute but not know anything at all about comparative domestic and foreign policy.

It's been established for some time that America is losing it's ability to compete not just in regards to living standards but also research. When polled, the majority of American scientists (90 percent atheists) blamed a lack of objectivity and knowledge in regards to middle school and high school science teachers.

If you are a Christian teacher -- do what is right for the children: QUIT
lol

Fairmont, WV

#3 Sep 5, 2013
I know who this is.
nothappy

Weston, WV

#4 Sep 5, 2013
Space-Cowboy wrote:
Actually, there should be a prerequisite that teachers be atheists or at least agnostics. Christians simply cannot be objective (or intelligent) enough to have the best interests of the students at heart.

Studies show that over 80 percent of those who go to church always vote conservative (no matter how unreasonable or right-wing the Republican Party becomes). This means that...

A Christian science teacher is more likely to not teach the correct age of the universe (which we know is over 13 billion years old due to radiation measurements of the Big Bang).

A Christian science teacher is also far less likely to teach evolution (and don't say it's a "theory" because that shows you do not know what a theory is -- gravity is a theory). Evolution is inherent to understanding all aspects of science. If you do not teach it, you cannot contribute meaningfully to the scientific community.

Psychology teachers are less likely to cover aspects of biological-related sexuality.

A Christian history teacher is less likely to teach the absolute fact that America's founders were NOT Christian but deists and atheists who were outspoken about their fear that irrational religion would overtake reason (Jefferson made his own New Testament with all the supernatural elements and Jesus' miracles edited out).

A Christian history teacher is also likely to teach the actual causes of the 1929 stock market crash, the resulting Depression, and how liberal policies such as the New Deal, banking regulations, Social Security, and Medicare eventually lifted almost half of the American populace out of poverty (I know this because many Tea Party teachers in the south are teaching that national debt led to the crash which is IN-F*CKING-SANE as it was due to rampant speculation that only regulations could have prevented).

A Christian History teacher would also be less likely to address how "God" was not printed on money or put in the Pledge of Allegiance until the witchhunts of the McCarthy era (one of America's darkest periods).

A Christian History teacher is also less likely to be objective about America's standing in the world in regards to Healthcare (number 36 in access, outcomes, and cost), standard of living (number 18 and falling), livable wages (France's minimum wage is 14.00 an hour and Canadian households are averaging $40,000 more per household due to a national healthcare system that takes the burden of off business).

A Christian English teacher would be less likely to teach books advanced enough for the grade level he/she is teaching because of adult themes or situations often found in classic literature (studies show that on average American schools are teaching books three to four years below grade level).

Christian teachers are also more likely to support the Pledge of Allegiance which teaches kids that all you have to do to support your country is stand up for one minute but not know anything at all about comparative domestic and foreign policy.

It's been established for some time that America is losing it's ability to compete not just in regards to living standards but also research. When polled, the majority of American scientists (90 percent atheists) blamed a lack of objectivity and knowledge in regards to middle school and high school science teachers.

If you are a Christian teacher -- do what is right for the children: QUIT
While no one should have to endure the wrath of Hell.....you sir, will have to.

Since: Sep 13

Bridgeport, WV

#5 Sep 5, 2013
Really? You honestly, in this day and age with all the scholarship available to us regarding the evolution of the idea of Hell in mythology, believe in Hell? That is INSANE. Hell is no more real than Alice's Wonderland. We can trace the creation of the idea of Hell (and Jesus, and the story of Noah, Jacob and Issac, etc.) through Mesopetamian, Egyptian, and Greek myth. THERE IS NO GOD, THERE IS NO AFTERLIFE -- THIS IS IT!

Also, if I can be a moral person and God could send me to Hell for not believing in him while a murderer and rapist can go to heaven for believing in him -- WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU WORSHIP A GOD LIKE THAT?!

Christians are NUTS, absolutely, positively NUTS.
nothappy

Weston, WV

#6 Sep 5, 2013
Space-Cowboy wrote:
Really? You honestly, in this day and age with all the scholarship available to us regarding the evolution of the idea of Hell in mythology, believe in Hell? That is INSANE. Hell is no more real than Alice's Wonderland. We can trace the creation of the idea of Hell (and Jesus, and the story of Noah, Jacob and Issac, etc.) through Mesopetamian, Egyptian, and Greek myth. THERE IS NO GOD, THERE IS NO AFTERLIFE -- THIS IS IT!

Also, if I can be a moral person and God could send me to Hell for not believing in him while a murderer and rapist can go to heaven for believing in him -- WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU WORSHIP A GOD LIKE THAT?!

Christians are NUTS, absolutely, positively NUTS.
Wonderland isn't real? Dang. I guess I am an Athiest now. Now I'm going to focus my faith on myths rather than the word of God.
Hmmm

New York, NY

#7 Sep 5, 2013
As a progressive Christian who votes for liberals, I have to say that ALL of these comments re: what Christian teachers are "likely" to keep out of the curriculum are whacked out generalizations. I had teachers who were Baptist, Presbyterian, Methodist, Catholic, etc. and found quite the opposite to be true. A really rabid fundamentalist who uses a classroom as his own pulpit has no business teaching in a public school, but in all the years I was in school, religion didn't factor into teaching. Let's not insult our intelligence with doomsday pronouncements about teachers who go to church.'K?
Christian

Morgantown, WV

#8 Sep 5, 2013
My kids teachers religion preference doesn't matter to me. As long as they are not pushing it on my child. Just as my child's religious preference shouldn't bother a teacher. I do still prefer the pledge of alligence every morning and see nothing wrong if kids choose to say a prayer in school.
Buford Bradley

Princeton, WV

#9 Sep 5, 2013
OK you go to church you sit down you listen to a real hell in brimstone preacher I mean really listen how can you explain the feeling you get I know deep down in side the Lord is real.

Since: Jun 13

Bridgeport, WV

#10 Sep 5, 2013
Buford Bradley wrote:
OK you go to church you sit down you listen to a real hell in brimstone preacher I mean really listen how can you explain the feeling you get I know deep down in side the Lord is real.
As an atheist I don't get any feeling other than thinking the guy is a nutjob. I'm guessing you feel something because you're one as well?
Tunnelton Transplant

Morgantown, WV

#11 Sep 5, 2013
2013 and there's still a reason to argue over this? Whether or not a teacher is Christian or not, doesn't matter. You all that want creationism taught in school don't realize that this a country that was founded in the religious freedom.... so that means that your kid wouldn't be taught about the 7 day creation, he/she will also be taught about the Hindu, shinto, Zoroastrianism and hundred of other creation stories that will be required if creationism is ever taught. Like it or not, you're is not the only religion and everyone thinks their religion is the correct one and will fight to have it taught to their children. you ready to teach your kids the difference?
Buford Bradley

Princeton, WV

#12 Sep 5, 2013
Mountain_Mama82 wrote:
<quoted text>
As an atheist I don't get any feeling other than thinking the guy is a nutjob. I'm guessing you feel something because you're one as well?
OK if that's what you think then so be it but why do you think that there's no God because you life is not what you want it to be or is it the government has you brain washed. I believe a person has the right to believe in anything he/she wants to but atheist people puts there belifes upon people just as much as anybody elss.

Location hidden

#13 Sep 5, 2013
Hmmm wrote:
As a progressive Christian who votes for liberals, I have to say that ALL of these comments re: what Christian teachers are "likely" to keep out of the curriculum are whacked out generalizations. I had teachers who were Baptist, Presbyterian, Methodist, Catholic, etc. and found quite the opposite to be true. A really rabid fundamentalist who uses a classroom as his own pulpit has no business teaching in a public school, but in all the years I was in school, religion didn't factor into teaching. Let's not insult our intelligence with doomsday pronouncements about teachers who go to church.'K?
I'm guessing you are not familiar with schools below the Mason Dixon line. I was once a teacher but couldn't tolerate the Christian indoctrination taking place in West Virginia schools. Here are just a few of my experiences:

I had to create different lesson plans when I taught the Hobbit due to parents complaining that the book had a wizard and as such was "Satanic." The administrators would not allow me to talk to the parents in order to explain that Tolkien was good friends with C.S. Lewis and both helped strengthen the other's Christian beliefs, they just forced me to come up with extra lesson plans. They also complained because the new book (a completely innocuous Newberry Award winner) had a girl being handed a knife on a ship for protection.

I then had to deal with being a substitute where I was routinely left lesson plans incorporating the Bible (this was Harrison Co. home of the tax-supported "Jesus Fest"). I didn't know whether I was being tested to see if I was "Christian" enough to teach or whether I would do the reasonable thing and put the lessons aside. Given this was an area where the public schools had "prayer banners" and keeping in my they kept framed pictures of Jesus in the hall until the ACLU was called, I'm guessing it was the former.

I finally got a job where I was constantly asked by teachers where I went to church and told that parents could not trust you unless you went to church. I was invited to dinner where there were prayers (guh) and then had to explain why Christians are the greatest evil of our time. I was left alone after that but then had parents complain and pull kids from my class when I taught the age of the earth which was a content standard -- I was taken aside and told that this was the Bible Belt and that I could not do such things (this was on the border of PA, MD, and VA).

Now, in Lewis Co (home of the most ignorant "Christians" on Earth), I was taken aside and asked about my thoughts regarding homosexuality because as the teacher explained "a girl tried turn in a research paper defending homosexuality biologically." I replied that if it was well-written and fulfilled the requirements then what's the issue? She looked at me like I was the devil.

Also, Lewis County is home to a science teacher that doesn't believe in evolution or the true age of the earth/universe. He also pickets against abortion (never mind that 3/4ths of unwanted children are never adopted and are placed in foster homes where they are three times more likely to be sexually, emotionally, and physically abused), and seems to be well-loved my the community that matches his ignorance.

I should also add that I just came from Tennessee where my girlfriend's daughter (who desperately wants to be an astrophysicist), had to deal with math teachers who posted Bible quotes all over her room and would start class with a passage from the Bible (this was a public school keep in mind) and science teachers who do not believe the accurate age of the universe or earth (how much do you think those kinds of "science teachers" were hurting my girlfriend's daughter's scientific aspirations?)

So while there may very well be liberal "Christians" in your area, they don't exist below the Mason Dixon. Personally, I HAAAAATE Christians and wouldn't piss on one if he/she were on fire.

Location hidden

#14 Sep 5, 2013
Buford Bradley wrote:
<quoted text>
OK if that's what you think then so be it but why do you think that there's no God because you life is not what you want it to be or is it the government has you brain washed. I believe a person has the right to believe in anything he/she wants to but atheist people puts there belifes upon people just as much as anybody elss.
Atheists don't have "beliefs" they simply value fact and reason. If parents want their children to believe bullshit then put them in a private school. If Christian teachers want to teach then only teach in a private school where the average salary is $18,000 a year.
Tunnelton Transplant

Morgantown, WV

#15 Sep 5, 2013
Buford Bradley wrote:
<quoted text>
You do realize that evolution is NOT equal to atheism, right? It's just an alternative to creationism... nothing that says that a divine creator didn't create the wonderful method of keeping his creation alive and HEALTHY. Read genesis. There are two totally different creation stories in first two chapters. I'm not saying God doesn't exist, I'm saying read the ENTIRE Bible... it was written by people to try and understand God in a time when even lightning was a mystery. We aren't in an age where Lightning is magical anymore. But evolution, the mind of God, still is very magical and so is the process of creation in the galaxy at as a whole. God or not, creation from stardust is phenomenal. And that's what we all are... stardust!
haha

Weston, WV

#16 Sep 5, 2013
I go the other way. Teachers who believe in god need locked up at sharpes with the rest of the crazies. If you really sit down and think about all the crazy BS Christians believe you'll see that they belong there. I'm sorry your parents brainwashed you during your youth but you dont need to be spreading that nonsense to our children. Its sad for society that we cannot get past this pea brained belief in religion. The world would be much better off
amy

Elkins, WV

#17 Sep 5, 2013
Herzog is God wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm guessing you are not familiar with schools below the Mason Dixon line. I was once a teacher but couldn't tolerate the Christian indoctrination taking place in West Virginia schools. Here are just a few of my experiences:
I had to create different lesson plans when I taught the Hobbit due to parents complaining that the book had a wizard and as such was "Satanic." The administrators would not allow me to talk to the parents in order to explain that Tolkien was good friends with C.S. Lewis and both helped strengthen the other's Christian beliefs, they just forced me to come up with extra lesson plans. They also complained because the new book (a completely innocuous Newberry Award winner) had a girl being handed a knife on a ship for protection.
I then had to deal with being a substitute where I was routinely left lesson plans incorporating the Bible (this was Harrison Co. home of the tax-supported "Jesus Fest"). I didn't know whether I was being tested to see if I was "Christian" enough to teach or whether I would do the reasonable thing and put the lessons aside. Given this was an area where the public schools had "prayer banners" and keeping in my they kept framed pictures of Jesus in the hall until the ACLU was called, I'm guessing it was the former.
I finally got a job where I was constantly asked by teachers where I went to church and told that parents could not trust you unless you went to church. I was invited to dinner where there were prayers (guh) and then had to explain why Christians are the greatest evil of our time. I was left alone after that but then had parents complain and pull kids from my class when I taught the age of the earth which was a content standard -- I was taken aside and told that this was the Bible Belt and that I could not do such things (this was on the border of PA, MD, and VA).
Now, in Lewis Co (home of the most ignorant "Christians" on Earth), I was taken aside and asked about my thoughts regarding homosexuality because as the teacher explained "a girl tried turn in a research paper defending homosexuality biologically." I replied that if it was well-written and fulfilled the requirements then what's the issue? She looked at me like I was the devil.
Also, Lewis County is home to a science teacher that doesn't believe in evolution or the true age of the earth/universe. He also pickets against abortion (never mind that 3/4ths of unwanted children are never adopted and are placed in foster homes where they are three times more likely to be sexually, emotionally, and physically abused), and seems to be well-loved my the community that matches his ignorance.
I should also add that I just came from Tennessee where my girlfriend's daughter (who desperately wants to be an astrophysicist), had to deal with math teachers who posted Bible quotes all over her room and would start class with a passage from the Bible (this was a public school keep in mind) and science teachers who do not believe the accurate age of the universe or earth (how much do you think those kinds of "science teachers" were hurting my girlfriend's daughter's scientific aspirations?)
So while there may very well be liberal "Christians" in your area, they don't exist below the Mason Dixon. Personally, I HAAAAATE Christians and wouldn't piss on one if he/she were on fire.
The science teacher you are bashing was the best teacher I had in several different public school systems. I moved several times due to my father being in the military. I feel the only reason I was successful in science and math was due to this one awesome teacher. I graduated from college in May, and just got hired by DuPont. He didn't teach religion, he taught Science and he was excellent.

Location hidden

#18 Sep 5, 2013
No he wasn't. I remember him trying to inject doubt about evolution when I was in middle school. At that point you fire the teacher. Period.

If you REALLY were knowledgeable regarding science you would know that it is IMPOSSIBLE to have any kind of meaningful understanding regarding everything from biology to geology without understanding evolution and the actual age of the Earth and universe.

When you destroy our students' ability to compete with other nations and jeopardize their futures because you think the Bible is literal truth -- you're damn right I'm going to bash you and everyone else gives a damn about our children and their futures should too.

Location hidden

#19 Sep 5, 2013
Another thing is how can anybody be considered a good educator when they push this "pro-life" bullcrap in and around our schools? If you're a decent educator who actually cares about the students future then wouldn't you be aware that...

America has the second highest infant mortality rate due to a profit based healthcare "system" that makes preventive care for infants too costly for most parents.

or...

that the U.S. is the second worse nation out of 35 developed countries when it comes to childhood poverty.

or...

that 3/4ths of unwanted children are not adopted in any given year.

or...

that foster children are three times more likely to be abused.

or...

that America has the highest number of children dying from gun violence and that number is only increasing.

or...

that many of these kids are living in homes where the parent makes minimum wage which is not only less than every other developed nation but also half of what the CBO found is necessary to meet basic necessities for living.

Yet, these teachers want to make a non-viable fetus the major issue for these kids, and by doing so have them vote for a conservative party that is anti-healthcare access, ant-livable wages, anti-funding for education, anti-student loans, anti-gun control, and anti-anything that would actually improve their lives immeasurably?

What in the hell is the matter with you people?
pearl

Salt Lake City, UT

#20 Sep 5, 2013
Herzog is God wrote:
Another thing is how can anybody be considered a good educator when they push this "pro-life" bullcrap in and around our schools? If you're a decent educator who actually cares about the students future then wouldn't you be aware that...
America has the second highest infant mortality rate due to a profit based healthcare "system" that makes preventive care for infants too costly for most parents.
or...
that the U.S. is the second worse nation out of 35 developed countries when it comes to childhood poverty.
or...
that 3/4ths of unwanted children are not adopted in any given year.
or...
that foster children are three times more likely to be abused.
or...
that America has the highest number of children dying from gun violence and that number is only increasing.
or...
that many of these kids are living in homes where the parent makes minimum wage which is not only less than every other developed nation but also half of what the CBO found is necessary to meet basic necessities for living.
Yet, these teachers want to make a non-viable fetus the major issue for these kids, and by doing so have them vote for a conservative party that is anti-healthcare access, ant-livable wages, anti-funding for education, anti-student loans, anti-gun control, and anti-anything that would actually improve their lives immeasurably?
What in the hell is the matter with you people?
Their Christian.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glenville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
shentel crap cable 1 hr Mr Geen Jeans 2
$3000 for will brady brain fund (Apr '13) 3 hr Evan 66
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 5 hr bacon hater 57,020
Jimmy Hughes 7 hr Lewis county 2
nick & chris santalucia 8 hr Tom Ford 5
new LcHs Principool 8 hr Jake 1
Stefany Herron 8 hr Beth 4
•••
•••
•••

Glenville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••