worried mom

Ada, OH

#1 Sep 6, 2013
My sons mentioned there may be mold at the high school. Has anyone else heard about it. One of my boys said he saw the health inspectors there walking around with the janitor. Just concerned about all the kids' health.
BCHS Parent

Fairmont, WV

#2 Sep 7, 2013
I've heard the kids talking about it but nothing from the school or BOE. Maybe call the school.
worried mom

Ada, OH

#3 Sep 7, 2013
I am calling the school Monday morning. I have only heard what my sons have told me. I know it could be rumors though. I would rather keep them home for a week or whatever it takes till it's cleaned up IF there is mold.
wife

United States

#4 Sep 7, 2013
There is mold. Found on books in many classrooms. Students as well as teachers have been sick. Suppose to have been taken care of over the summer BUT it wasn't. Just now ordering new books.
worried mom

Ada, OH

#5 Sep 8, 2013
wife wrote:
There is mold. Found on books in many classrooms. Students as well as teachers have been sick. Suppose to have been taken care of over the summer BUT it wasn't. Just now ordering new books.
I suppose that explains why so many kids have been ill since school began. Both my boys already have asthma now they have been having sore throats, coughs and other issues. I definitely will be calling the school Monday. I know my oldest said the library lost a lot of books. I hate to see the school lose books but the kids and teachers health should come first.
worried mom

Newaygo, MI

#6 Sep 9, 2013
After speaking w/ Ms. Morlan today she told me that the mold s confined in the library. The problem I feel is that it is most likely in the air system and spreading through the school. IF it is safe for the kids then they should send a letter home to all parents letting them know what is going on and attach a letter from the EPA.
At least when any parent has to take their kid to the doctor for symptoms they can mention this. My 16 yr/old son's friend has been out for a week. Both my boys are coughing and congested. I know of one other child that had to be put on allergy medicine since school began. If we aren't informed and our child is sick then how are we supposed to make sure the get the proper care ???
wife

United States

#7 Sep 10, 2013
worried mom wrote:
After speaking w/ Ms. Morlan today she told me that the mold s confined in the library. The problem I feel is that it is most likely in the air system and spreading through the school. IF it is safe for the kids then they should send a letter home to all parents letting them know what is going on and attach a letter from the EPA.
At least when any parent has to take their kid to the doctor for symptoms they can mention this. My 16 yr/old son's friend has been out for a week. Both my boys are coughing and congested. I know of one other child that had to be put on allergy medicine since school began. If we aren't informed and our child is sick then how are we supposed to make sure the get the proper care ???
This is why I absolutely hate the school system! They by take it upon themselves to decide whether or not to tell the parents of the mold substance. What.if a child died from this substance? And another child was sick from it could be cured if only they knew what it was that made them sick to start with. Just pisses me off that a parent loves their child more than life itself and these damn people make their decisions for them. Grr...
BCHSSTUDENT

United States

#8 Sep 11, 2013
It isn't only confined to the library! My home room was condemned because of it.
jlkbnk

Sutton, WV

#9 Sep 15, 2013
i just seen a story about mold in a Charleston school last night on channel 8
JohnnieB good

Buckhannon, WV

#10 Sep 16, 2013
One of the custodians was having health problems because of mold.
worried mom

Ada, OH

#11 Sep 16, 2013
IF they are trying to say everything is o and safe then why doesn't someone send a letter home to the parents w/ proof from the health department saying that it's safe. I don't believe it is but if a child misses school the parents are getting punished. The parents hands are pretty much tied. It's either send them to school or keep them home and have the truancy officer knocking at your door.

I even got a call today stating my son was absent when he was at school all day. The same thing was happening last year and it turned out a teacher was marking him absent. It was a mess. Seems to me someone needs to get their shit together. Think of the kids!!

I am going to call my children's doctor and ask what she thinks about keeping them home until the school can prove it's safe. At least this way the truancy officer can't say anything w/ a note form their doctor.
hoi

Sutton, WV

#12 Sep 16, 2013
tell the truancy officer to go f off , you can be find and or put in jail for something your kid dose and you wernt ever aware of which is BS , so tell them to go suck it
worried mom

Ada, OH

#13 Sep 17, 2013
For the person who thinks I am clueless or nuts.....

I wouldn't even be concerned about the truancy officer if the teachers could get their attendance correct. Multiple times last year and it's already happened this year I get calls my kid has been counted absent. He is at school but then I have to turn around and get it all straightened out. I have taken him out for lunch and he gets signed back in. Then on a day he is there all day we start getting calls again.

Annoyed Citizen

Norfolk, VA

#14 Sep 17, 2013
One of the reasons the schools don't tell folks much is because stupid people come on Topix and spread rumors trying to either find out more information or to deliberately over hype the situation so they can have a reason to complain. If the building was unsafe, then the Health Department would either shut down the school or order the affected areas to be isolated until it could be cleaned up. Our local Health Department takes their jobs seriously. Has anyone considered the possibility that the reason they haven't been putting anything out to the public could possibly be that there is nothing actually going on? Could it be that their is no mold? A lot of rumors get started by school kids simply to start rumors. We ALL know that BCHS is a giant rumor mill, and that many of those rumors are unfounded B.S. Some kids make up and spread these types of rumors just so they won't have to go to school and if they can make the rumors go around enough, maybe their parents will believe them and not make them go. It just takes a couple gossipy kids to make a little dirt on the walls turn into a full-fledged mold, asbestos, whatever crisis, and then it only takes a couple gossipy parents to turn it all into some crazy conspiracy theory. Let the school and the BOE do their jobs. Armchair quarterbacking them is counterproductive. If you have a concern, call the school. If you think they are lying, then call the Board of Education or the Health Department if you think the Board is lying too. It's that simple. As for the attendance, it is true that they sometimes make mistakes. But it would take an awful LOT of missed classes or missed school days to get the truancy officer after you. Too many to be reasonably considered to be an "accident." The real question is are the teachers making that many mistakes, or is the kid simply skipping classes. If it the same teacher every time, or do several teachers have this same "problem?" We ALL know NO ONE has EVER skipped a class at BCHS.
BBB

Northfork, WV

#15 Sep 18, 2013
Annoyed Citizen wrote:
One of the reasons the schools don't tell folks much is because stupid people come on Topix and spread rumors trying to either find out more information or to deliberately over hype the situation so they can have a reason to complain. If the building was unsafe, then the Health Department would either shut down the school or order the affected areas to be isolated until it could be cleaned up. Our local Health Department takes their jobs seriously. Has anyone considered the possibility that the reason they haven't been putting anything out to the public could possibly be that there is nothing actually going on? Could it be that their is no mold? A lot of rumors get started by school kids simply to start rumors. We ALL know that BCHS is a giant rumor mill, and that many of those rumors are unfounded B.S. Some kids make up and spread these types of rumors just so they won't have to go to school and if they can make the rumors go around enough, maybe their parents will believe them and not make them go. It just takes a couple gossipy kids to make a little dirt on the walls turn into a full-fledged mold, asbestos, whatever crisis, and then it only takes a couple gossipy parents to turn it all into some crazy conspiracy theory. Let the school and the BOE do their jobs. Armchair quarterbacking them is counterproductive. If you have a concern, call the school. If you think they are lying, then call the Board of Education or the Health Department if you think the Board is lying too. It's that simple. As for the attendance, it is true that they sometimes make mistakes. But it would take an awful LOT of missed classes or missed school days to get the truancy officer after you. Too many to be reasonably considered to be an "accident." The real question is are the teachers making that many mistakes, or is the kid simply skipping classes. If it the same teacher every time, or do several teachers have this same "problem?" We ALL know NO ONE has EVER skipped a class at BCHS.
There is no such thing as a truancy officer, The BOE employes a attendance director
Annoyed Citizen

Norfolk, VA

#16 Sep 18, 2013
I stand corrected.
worried mom

Newaygo, MI

#17 Sep 18, 2013
Annoyed Citizen wrote:
I DID call the school and talked to the principal There IS mold in the school and they are stating that it is confined to the library. It has been there since at least the summer. The concern I have is about it being in the ventilation system. Both my boys have been having issues since school began. I was told by the principal that the health department is there keeping a watch on the clean-up. I do think it's their responsibility to let parents know about it. Hell, we all know about the asbestos letter we get each year. I would think this would call for a letter also.
worried mom

Newaygo, MI

#18 Sep 18, 2013
Annoyed Citizen wrote:
Also, as far as my child be marked absent when he is at school is the teachers mistake. They are marking my child absent and another child present when it's the other way around. I know it's mistake and it happens but when I have to deal w/ it just so my son can get a license it's to many times. He knows not to skip school or class as his future plans are something he is excited about and working toward.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glenville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rite aid pharmacy (Dec '15) 40 min Foundout 111
Business booms in LC news article 1 hr Fed up 12
Man caught masterbating on cars. 2 hr Jack meoff 2
Stanley Bailey 5 hr Travis 48
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 6 hr Luther 4,242
Shooting at BFS today, 9-17, in Weston? 7 hr here 11
Chris wine 18 hr RSM 77

Glenville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance