Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

Alex Spadel wrote:
I was placed in Glen Mills at the age of 15 by my probation officer for a misdemeanor marijuana charge. I attended from the end of February of 2005 until the end of May; in actuality a very short stay compared to most kids. The way the staff at this school treat the children is disgusting. For simply cutting their eyes or moving their body while talking to staff members I witnessed the beatings of many kids. At one point, I actually witnessed a child who was on crutches get violently thrown into a concrete wall for cutting his eyes while talking to a staff member. The worst incident I ever witnessed was when a child accidentally touched a staff member (I personally witnessed this, and I KNOW it was an accident). This poor kid was brutally beaten by a 300 pound staff member right in front of my eyes. They use the term "physical restraint"; I call it a savage beatdown. I stood in horror as I watched this kid get get thrown into a chalkboard multiple times, and when he fell to the ground on his hands and knees, this massive staff member (who's name is Jason Slizofski in case you wanted to know) proceeded to brutally kick this kid in the ribs with all his might. The kid was dragged from the classroom covered in blood, crying his eyes out. When I saw the kid later that night, he was dragged into the unit office to be beaten again by the team leader, Kevin Owens. I did not witness this, but I am not stupid, and the sounds were clear. He was then given an FTA (Failure To Adjust) and was promptly sent to another placement. The bottom line is that in the Glen Mills Schools, they do not "manually assist" or "physically restrain"; they simply beat the living daylights out of children for not complying or for being disrespectful. Keep in mind that not complying means accidentally twitching while talking to staff, not making complete eye contact, or from using any term deemed as slang when speaking to staff. On a much larger basis, I consistently witnessed widespread verbal abuse also. The staff that work at these schools are nothing short of disgusting animals, and I hope to God that one day the lid gets blown off in this school. The only thing this school did for me was make me realize that there are really some disgusting people in this world; massive men the size of NFL players who enjoy beating children for looking at them the wrong way.
. Its a shame but ur right .
Former GMS STAFF

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

Judged:

State Representative wrote:
Can you provide me with other examples of abuse? If they are abusing kids...this needs to stop!
<quoted text>
. It happens all the time. But protocols are in place to cover up poor behavior and decisions by staff and students.
donel

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2014

i was there from september 2012 till feburary 2014.... i just got discharged a week ago and was that a terrible two years of my life... its gotten worse.... they make the school look good when po's and visitors come on campus... but when they leave its back to hell we go.... i seen kids ket thrown into walls in the cafeteria .... i seen one kid get his arm broke by staff member Jeff Hill and Herb Beekley.... Mike Mcvey is racist he called me a black piece of shit no wonder his ancestors hung my ancestors on trees... i even seen a kid get choked during a so called "physical restraint" and the kid past out and had to go to the hospital and i heard they lied and told the doctors that the kid was getting jumped and the staff member was the one who saved the kid... that place can burn to the ground..... THEY ARE LYING TO ALL VISITORS... saying its a good place and the shops we have....
Kareem Williams

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2014

I was a stunt at Glen Mlss from December 98 to June 2000. I was in Johnson Hall. I hear all of the stories here, and I can't judge the way you feel about GM. I myself can say that GM is the best thing that ever happened to me. I was on the wrong path growing up in North Philadelphia, and I needed the redirection that I got from Glen Mills. SOme of the guys mentiioned like Reggie Owens, Bob Johnson, and especially Dave Rodgers helped me tremendously and taught me to be a responsible man. YES, I got tossed around, hemmed up, cursed at, etc....But that's what I needed at the time. I hated it for the first few months. That's mainly because I wasn't used to discipline. I was used to running the streets doing whatever I wanted. But I finally embraced the place after about 4 months, and by my 6th month I was an exec in my unit. By my 8th month or so I was the President of Johnson Hall, which I remained until my graduation and discharge in June 2000. Still to this day I keep up with some of the staff members, providing them with updates on my life. I even worked there for about a year after graduating. Honestly some of the stories I see here may be true, and if so they are horrible. But like i said it's the best thing that happened to me, and that is because rather than to complain about rough treatment, I took advantage of the good things in the program. Including a scholarship to attend college. I now have a masters degree in finance, and work for one of the biggest financial institutions in the world. With all due respect, I'm sure that a lot of the guys complaining here about "abuse" were previously running the streets thinking they were the toughest guy in the world before Glen Mills. But as soon as you're faced with so called "abuse" you curl up in the fetal position and become babies. Like I said, I know some staff went overboard TRUST ME I DO! But the fact remains that a lot of young men need severe discipline to turn their lives in the right direction. I surely needed it. And today I'm a better man for it. So in closing I will say that no kid deserves to be abused, but a little(Or for me A LOT) of tough love may be needed to change the course of your life. It changed mine! I'm forever proud to be a BATTLING BULL!!
Kareem Williams

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2014

For the record Im not in Pittsburg. Not sure why it says that.
tj bektashi

Macomb, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2014

Judged:

I was Buchanan hall 2011-2012 flyer from Michigan I've played soccer I ran track and also swimming I was not a superstar although I did start at varsity level for soccer loved my coaches most of the time we got on sports and we treated our coaches and teammates like a second family we got close especially during camp when we had to go to practice 3 times a day. It was alright I never felt like I was locked up although I did ms my girlfriend and family and felt home sick after the phone calls and packages and mail but if u fuck up depending on who it is working you would get fucked up I got it bad one time because I fought back when Nate from Buchanan hall our hall also my counciler slapped me across the face I put him in a head lock and told him to go to sleep but while that happened I had 4 staff pounding my entire body I had 2 black eyes a broken nose never had propper treatment for my nose its still crooked towards the bridge of it but what they did to me was they cut my mail and phone privs til I healed up I never told anybody but my parents because I just wanted to do my time and once I got my shit together I didn't drag the issue because I was happy I was out and tried hard to forget everything I've gone through I was 15 when I was there June 28th 2011 turned 16 June 30th they gave me a stale b day cake the size of a soft ball lmfao but I laugh about this shit now nothing we can do about it my entire time there I've seen 1 staff fire for over doing it now that was like watching a scary movie so many screams what creeped me out the most was at night walking the hill was the cementary from kids who died during a fire
Flint town

Davison, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2014

Judged:

I was at Glen mills from 95 to97 in Fillmore hall. I did also witness kids beaten but was never touched once while I was there because I to knew how to play the game so I could get the hell out of there. Most staff are animals that should b locked up themselves. I was lucky to have the best counselor on campus James Jackson who I admired and still think about today. The beatings are real but if u can make it though u can take some good things from the program as well
God bless you

Clinton Township, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2014

My brother goes there and he is doing great, I read all the other reviews. It sounds like you only get hit or punished if you do something bad. if you don't want to get hit , do what your supposed to...
Brian

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2014

Let's be clear here, Glen Mills is about sociopaths who have learned how to function in society (the staff) teaching other sociopaths who haven't learned how to function in society become better more adaptive sociopaths (the students) who take advantage of students who are unable to adapt to the new environment because they have disabilities.
Just because they have better outcomes than other juvenile justice settings doesn't make it great. By their own admission the way the program works is kind of fucked up.
south

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2014

I was there in 2003. I was in Johnson Hall. To be honest, that place is hell. They allow other peers to spit in your face, for the littlest thing's, while in town house, I think it was called. The staff beat you and some more shit. SMH..... I remember non bulls had to sit on the floor. The bulls could stand up, and the executives could sit on the couches . That place is some shit. For the people who remember the staff member Charles ..... that use to play for the Green Bay Packers ...... his big bit*h a$$ fuc*ed me up a few times .... lls, I wish I could see him now ...... in just in case if he see's this im Thomas Stewart ..... remember the Maryland boy as you use to call me.... remember when you use to beat on me and I laughed ......lls that only made the beatings worse ...... but fyi nicca I wuz 1 of dem real niccaz wit cha bamma a$$...
Kareem

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2014

south wrote:
I was there in 2003. I was in Johnson Hall. To be honest, that place is hell. They allow other peers to spit in your face, for the littlest thing's, while in town house, I think it was called. The staff beat you and some more shit. SMH..... I remember non bulls had to sit on the floor. The bulls could stand up, and the executives could sit on the couches . That place is some shit. For the people who remember the staff member Charles ..... that use to play for the Green Bay Packers ...... his big bit*h a$$ fuc*ed me up a few times .... lls, I wish I could see him now ...... in just in case if he see's this im Thomas Stewart ..... remember the Maryland boy as you use to call me.... remember when you use to beat on me and I laughed ......lls that only made the beatings worse ...... but fyi nicca I wuz 1 of dem real niccaz wit cha bamma a$$...
First of all if you were so real, you would've did something to Charles while you were at GMS instead of talking trash on a website that he will likely never look at lol. But I hear you though. Anyway, I'm trying to think If I was working in Johnson in 03. I also was the President of the unit when I was committed there (December 1998-June 2000). My picture was on the top of the wall of fame in staffs office. My name is K. Williams. Glen Mills is hell if you are a immature kid that can't control yourself. It teaches you about accountability, something that I didn't know about before I got there. Charles was my counselor actually, and he put his hands on me maybe twice in 18 months. So that proves it was YOU who didn't know how to act. I actually spoke at career day this past April and had lunch with Charles and Reggie Owens. Glen Mills changed my life for the better. I see after 10 years you still have a childish mentality though. Still not accepting the fact that you probably needed your ass whooped when you were a kid at the mills.
posie

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2014

Kareem wrote:
<quoted text>First of all if you were so real, you would've did something to Charles while you were at GMS instead of talking trash on a website that he will likely never look at lol. But I hear you though. Anyway, I'm trying to think If I was working in Johnson in 03. I also was the President of the unit when I was committed there (December 1998-June 2000). My picture was on the top of the wall of fame in staffs office. My name is K. Williams. Glen Mills is hell if you are a immature kid that can't control yourself. It teaches you about accountability, something that I didn't know about before I got there. Charles was my counselor actually, and he put his hands on me maybe twice in 18 months. So that proves it was YOU who didn't know how to act. I actually spoke at career day this past April and had lunch with Charles and Reggie Owens. Glen Mills changed my life for the better. I see after 10 years you still have a childish mentality though. Still not accepting the fact that you probably needed your ass whooped when you were a kid at the mills.
He's got a really small PP

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Glenmoore Discussions

Search the Glenmoore Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 24 min Eddie Swindell 51,185
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 1 hr PA Voter 3,813
Churchtown Pa 2 hr Jen 2
Cougar Sighting/Caught in Downingtown, PA (Aug '08) Jul 18 Paul Yardley PA 40
Morgantown PA police chief resigns?? Jun '14 Justcurious 3
dnt get it twisted tho Jun '14 posie 3
Dunkin Donuts in Morgantown (Aug '11) May '14 People have no life 15
•••
•••

Glenmoore News Video

•••
Glenmoore Dating

more search filters

less search filters