Glendale approves Korean 'comfort woman' statue despite Japanese protest

Jul 10, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Glendale News-Press

Members of the council received hundreds of emails - many appearing to come from Japan - and listened to dozens of speakers at the Tuesday meeting who claimed the so-called "comfort women" were not indentured servants, but ordinary prostitutes.

Comments
1 - 20 of 69 Comments Last updated Sep 17, 2013
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Modern Comfort Women

San Jose, CA

#1 Jul 12, 2013
Why not helping and saving today's comfort women?

They've still been suffering for over half a century even after W-II. Just the customers were changed from the Japanese army to the USA army, but their business has kept on going..

We need to stop their violence and save poor women.

Modern-Day Comfort Women
http://vaw.sagepub.com/content/13/9/901

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#2 Jul 13, 2013
Modern Comfort Women wrote:
Why not helping and saving today's comfort women?

They've still been suffering for over half a century even after W-II. Just the customers were changed from the Japanese army to the USA army, but their business has kept on going..

We need to stop their violence and save poor women.

Modern-Day Comfort Women
http://vaw.sagepub.com/content/13/9/901
The comfort women should be chasing the Korean government. They were already paid by Japan for what was done
Alice

Nihon'odori, Japan

#3 Jul 13, 2013
See what Japanese Prisoners of War Interrogation on Prostitution Report No. 49 by the United States Department of War says: A "comfort girl" is nothing more than a prostitute or "professional camp follower" attached to the Japanese Army for the benefit of the soldiers.
light7

Plainfield, IN

#4 Jul 13, 2013
Japan government should follow UN's recommendation: an immediate and effective legislative and administrative measures such as prosecuting perpetrators, providing victim full reparation, and educating the general public, but still Japan do nothing.

Location hidden

#5 Jul 13, 2013
light7 wrote:
Japan government should follow UN's recommendation: an immediate and effective legislative and administrative measures such as prosecuting perpetrators, providing victim full reparation, and educating the general public, but still Japan do nothing.
They paid for what they did to Koreans. You should only have to pay once..
Alice

Nihon'odori, Japan

#6 Jul 13, 2013
light7 wrote:
What's settled is settled. The Japanese government paid the money and the South Korean government received it.

All what you have mentioned above should have done by the South Korean government for what South Korea soldiers did to women and girls in the Vietnam War and for poor Lai Dai Hans.

How about installing a monument for them next to the comfort woman statue.
I'm sure That council woman will say "I don't see it as designed to be a monument to shame South Korea. What happened to those girls was a tragedy, and that's what this monument is about."
Glendale Is Creepville

Covina, CA

#7 Jul 13, 2013
If a city is going to memorialize one group with regards to this type of war crime, why not memorialize them all? Also, how can current Japanese citizens -not Japanese Americans- go to Glendale and then protest that these women were willing participants?

I wouldn't want to walk past a creepy memorial like that everyday -especially if I were Asian. Does anyone else think it's wierd?

Who thought of this exactly and for what reason was it put up? Typical creepy Glendale.

BTW, what does this have to do with American history? Why is it up in our country to begin with. It should be up in Japan.

Location hidden

#8 Jul 13, 2013
Alice wrote:
<quoted text>What's settled is settled. The Japanese government paid the money and the South Korean government received it.

All what you have mentioned above should have done by the South Korean government for what South Korea soldiers did to women and girls in the Vietnam War and for poor Lai Dai Hans.

How about installing a monument for them next to the comfort woman&#12288;statue.
I'm sure That council woman will say "I don't see it as designed to be a monument to shame South Korea. What happened to those girls was a tragedy, and that's what this monument is about."
Koreans just love to make out they're the victim

Location hidden

#9 Jul 13, 2013
Glendale Is Creepville wrote:
If a city is going to memorialize one group with regards to this type of war crime, why not memorialize them all? Also, how can current Japanese citizens -not Japanese Americans- go to Glendale and then protest that these women were willing participants?

I wouldn't want to walk past a creepy memorial like that everyday -especially if I were Asian. Does anyone else think it's wierd?

Who thought of this exactly and for what reason was it put up? Typical creepy Glendale.

BTW, what does this have to do with American history? Why is it up in our country to begin with. It should be up in Japan.
True
light7

Indianapolis, IN

#10 Jul 13, 2013
Tasmaniac wrote:
<quoted text>
Koreans just love to make out they're the victim
Please think about this issue seriously.
If this happens to your family members, you can't say like this.

This is related to human right.
Please listen what UN urged to Japanese government.

Location hidden

#11 Jul 13, 2013
light7 wrote:
<quoted text>Please think about this issue seriously.
If this happens to your family members, you can't say like this.

This is related to human right.
Please listen what UN urged to Japanese government.
I've been hearing about it for years. And I'm sick of the victim mentality. Read about what Koreans did to the Vietnamese in the war. Has Korea acknowledged that?

See what the UN has said about Korean racism. Yet they are still racist. People in glass houses..
light7

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Jul 13, 2013
Tasmaniac wrote:
<quoted text>
They paid for what they did to Koreans. You should only have to pay once..
Managing comfort women (sex slavery) by Japanese government is the worst war crime in the history.

How much Japanese government should pay?
I think it will be ($ 10M per person * 200K persons * 100 ).
That is just minimum payment what the criminal should pay.
light7

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Jul 13, 2013
Glendale Is Creepville wrote:
Because Japan didn't repent the worst war crime they did during world war II. The victims still has protested for this.
But the Japanese government didn't respond. They should follow the UN's recommendation.
light7

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Jul 13, 2013
Tasmaniac wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been hearing about it for years. And I'm sick of the victim mentality. Read about what Koreans did to the Vietnamese in the war. Has Korea acknowledged that?
See what the UN has said about Korean racism. Yet they are still racist. People in glass houses..
Do you how many thim Japanese women living in South Korea apologize this crime instead of Japanese government?
light7

Indianapolis, IN

#15 Jul 13, 2013
Alice wrote:
See what Japanese Prisoners of War Interrogation on Prostitution Report No. 49 by the United States Department of War says: A "comfort girl" is nothing more than a prostitute or "professional camp follower" attached to the Japanese Army for the benefit of the soldiers.
According to the testimony, Japanese official lied and took the women to the army...And then they forced women to sex with soldiers.
The worst war crime in the history....But still criminal didn't repent.

Location hidden

#16 Jul 13, 2013
light7 wrote:
<quoted text>Managing comfort women (sex slavery) by Japanese government is the worst war crime in the history.

How much Japanese government should pay?
I think it will be ($ 10M per person * 200K persons * 100 ).
That is just minimum payment what the criminal should pay.
That's the kind of stupid opinion I'd expect from a Korean. Nanjing was far worse. But keep thinking it was the worst if it makes you feel better.

The Korean government already accepted payment for what happened. End of story..

Location hidden

#17 Jul 13, 2013
light7 wrote:
<quoted text>Do you how many thim Japanese women living in South Korea apologize this crime instead of Japanese government?
Who really cares?

Location hidden

#18 Jul 13, 2013
light7 wrote:
<quoted text>According to the testimony, Japanese official lied and took the women to the army...And then they forced women to sex with soldiers.
The worst war crime in the history....But still criminal didn't repent.
There have been far worse war crimes. Saying that it's worse than the holocaust for example is extremely ignorant and stupid. Just as I would expect a Korean to act. Learn about the whole world and not just about Korea and you'll find out that you're full of shit..
light7

Indianapolis, IN

#19 Jul 13, 2013
Tasmaniac wrote:
<quoted text>
There have been far worse war crimes. Saying that it's worse than the holocaust for example is extremely ignorant and stupid. Just as I would expect a Korean to act. Learn about the whole world and not just about Korea and you'll find out that you're full of shit..
Please check what Germany government did for the victim of world ward II. Please learn from the whole world.
light7

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Jul 13, 2013
Tasmaniac wrote:
<quoted text>
Who really cares?
Because Japanese women apologize because Japanese government didn't do it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glendale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Santa Monica Activists Plan Vigil for Mural 2 hr Lolana 2
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 2 hr Bruin Nation 27,084
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 3 hr Poolicker 18,870
Valley Light Industries facing challenges (Feb '09) 4 hr Cypress Critic 552
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 5 hr RiccardoFire 200,586
Is the CHSRA Really Considering the San Gabriel... 8 hr Acton Watchdog 1
Review: Financial Plus Investment (Jul '08) 14 hr Serpico 2,368
•••

Glendale News Video

•••
•••

Glendale Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Glendale People Search